Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I think even base model 2012 rmbp 15s had the 650m, didn't they? Iris pro wasn't around yet and I'm fairly sure I bought the base model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My mom's mid-2009 MacBook Pro had a busted fan for a while, which I replaced. But it is still running very, very hot, think mid-high 90s even under slight load in a cool environment. I re-pasted the CPU & GPU and it didn't improve things. Thoughts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage posted:

I think even base model 2012 rmbp 15s had the 650m, didn't they? Iris pro wasn't around yet and I'm fairly sure I bought the base model.

No, it was the Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I had one). The 650m was the top end 15" model.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

canyonero posted:

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I'm not sure I'll ever understand the keyboard anger (I've played with one at an Apple Store), but whatever.
You should have seen the poo poo storm when Lenovo went to the chiclet keyboard with th x30 models...

flosofl posted:

No, it was the Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I had one). The 650m was the top end 15" model.

The 15" always had both 650m + integrated until the Iris Pro came out

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

You should have seen the poo poo storm when Lenovo went to the chiclet keyboard with th x30 models...

The 15" always had both 650m + integrated until the Iris Pro came out

Yep. My mistake on that one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I rest my case on 2013>>>2012 wrt the rMBP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My mom's mid-2009 MacBook Pro had a busted fan for a while, which I replaced. But it is still running very, very hot, think mid-high 90s even under slight load in a cool environment. I re-pasted the CPU & GPU and it didn't improve things. Thoughts?

Get one of those IR temperature guns and see where the hottest portion of the interior is. I'd be willing to bet good money if it's still the original hard drive a lot of heat could be coming from that, I remember some platter based drives becoming scorching hot with age.

Also make sure the venting near the fan exhaust isn't blocked; also make sure there's no gunk in the vanes that the fan is blowing on.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Did anything interesting come out of the recent Apple Thing?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I rest my case on 2013>>>2012 wrt the rMBP.

I would have agreed with you but a point release of OS X a few versions / years ago completely changed this thing. Everything is snappier than before, 4K dp output works (if at 30hz), etc. P good man. Though I'm hoping to cash it out and partially fund the upcoming nu-book purchase.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

No Mac hardware announcements, if that's what you're asking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

No new hardware was announced at the Apple software conference, no.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
You aren't going to see a Mac refresh until the new macOS Sierra is out unless they decide to do a minor update without the OLED bar. But the OLED bar basically guarantees that particular model isn't coming out until its supported in the OS and they aren't going to put support for that into a minor update to El Capitan. The thing will ship with the new OS already installed on it.

In short. The release date for the new MBP redesign is going to be on or after the release date of macOS Sierra.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

xgalaxy posted:

basically guarantees

In short. The release date for the new MBP redesign is going to be on or after the release date of macOS Sierra.

And you're basing that on absolutely nothing.

Even the iPad only had a point release of iOS when it came out.

Apple has added support for new hardware to minor versions of OS X all the time. All Macs that I can remember have shipped with their own hardware-specific custom releases of OS X that were kept up for 1-2 versions until everything was rolled into the main version.

Yet each summer the old "I guess the new OS X (now macOS) release will have to wait until the new hardware is out" or its cousin "I guess the hardware will have to wait until the new OS release is out" shows up. No. The OS comes out in the fall, and hardware comes out year-round, new features or not.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Get one of those IR temperature guns and see where the hottest portion of the interior is. I'd be willing to bet good money if it's still the original hard drive a lot of heat could be coming from that, I remember some platter based drives becoming scorching hot with age.

Also make sure the venting near the fan exhaust isn't blocked; also make sure there's no gunk in the vanes that the fan is blowing on.
It's an SSD I installed, no longer has the original drive. Exhaust and vanes check out fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

You aren't going to see a Mac refresh until the new macOS Sierra is out unless they decide to do a minor update without the OLED bar. But the OLED bar basically guarantees that particular model isn't coming out until its supported in the OS and they aren't going to put support for that into a minor update to El Capitan. The thing will ship with the new OS already installed on it.

This is not based in fact.

Apple hides new hardware-specific OS updates all the time.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was really hoping to see a Mac Mini update soon. I'm learning to dabble in some programming and web dev things, and really wanted Mac hardware to dev on, I already have a beefy pc with dual monitors so I was hoping to connect the mini to one of them and just switch back and forth. I really don't wanna pony over the cash for a laptop until I know how much I like macOS and the environment.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Try Hackintosh, it's usually pretty straightforward these days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was really hoping to see a Mac Mini update soon. I'm learning to dabble in some programming and web dev things, and really wanted Mac hardware to dev on, I already have a beefy pc with dual monitors so I was hoping to connect the mini to one of them and just switch back and forth. I really don't wanna pony over the cash for a laptop until I know how much I like macOS and the environment.

For the money, an inexpensive MacBook Air (maybe preowned or a refurb?) plugged into a display is a way better value and won't give you too different of an experience, given that Apple killed the quad core Mini in 2012 and stuffed the high volume model with MacBook Air guts.

In fact, it should be way faster given that the Mini comes with a 5400 rpm HDD as standard (in 2016) while the Air's got PCIe flash storage. And it's a notebook. For like $200 more, it's a way better deal. Although then you start to look at refurb rMBP prices and it becomes a whole thing....

if "eventually getting a Mac notebook" is at all something that you are considering with this plan and you can afford to do so, I would just take the plunge and get something with a Retina display for the best impression of OS XmacOS and trust that it'll be worth the extra $$. You get 14 days to return it anyway if it doesn't work out. You will figure it out in that time and you won't have to buy Apple's laziest crack at a desktop in order to do so. You have to spend iMac money to turn the current Mini into something that isn't embarrassing, which is embarrassing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For the money, an inexpensive MacBook Air (maybe preowned or a refurb?) plugged into a display is a way better value and won't give you too different of an experience, given that Apple killed the quad core Mini in 2012 and stuffed the high volume model with MacBook Air guts.

In fact, it should be way faster given that the Mini comes with a 5400 rpm HDD as standard (in 2016) while the Air's got PCIe flash storage. And it's a notebook. For like $200 more, it's a way better deal. Although then you start to look at refurb rMBP prices and it becomes a whole thing....

if "eventually getting a Mac notebook" is at all something that you are considering with this plan and you can afford to do so, I would just take the plunge and get something with a Retina display for the best impression of OS XmacOS and trust that it'll be worth the extra $$. You get 14 days to return it anyway if it doesn't work out. You will figure it out in that time and you won't have to buy Apple's laziest crack at a desktop in order to do so. You have to spend iMac money to turn the current Mini into something that isn't embarrassing, which is embarrassing.

Hmmm what's insane is I never even considered plugging a MacBook into my monitor. Like didn't even think about it. So I'd definitely be willing to look into the new rMB or the 2015 rMBP. Amazon has the rMBPs for $150 off right now. I'd be doing web browsing, watching videos, photo editing, and I've been learning web development. So Atom, Vagrant, etc running.

I know rMBPs might be out sometime this year but for a dude whose never owned a macOS device I don't think I'd miss much by waiting? Whatever I buy it'd probably be near the baseline device anyway. The rMB appeals to me because of the new keyboard and it just being the newest macOS device available. But the rMBP I like the integrated hdmi, slightly larger screen and I'm guessing I could use the sd slot for additional storage?

Anyone have any thoughts?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hmmm what's insane is I never even considered plugging a MacBook into my monitor. Like didn't even think about it. So I'd definitely be willing to look into the new rMB or the 2015 rMBP. Amazon has the rMBPs for $150 off right now. I'd be doing web browsing, watching videos, photo editing, and I've been learning web development. So Atom, Vagrant, etc running.

I know rMBPs might be out sometime this year but for a dude whose never owned a macOS device I don't think I'd miss much by waiting? Whatever I buy it'd probably be near the baseline device anyway. The rMB appeals to me because of the new keyboard and it just being the newest macOS device available. But the rMBP I like the integrated hdmi, slightly larger screen and I'm guessing I could use the sd slot for additional storage?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dude I use a 15-inch 2012 rmbp as my main computer, even still doing light gaming when I don't want to fire up my gaming PC. So you can go back that far at least, especially if you don't care about the battery since its be on a desk all day.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best value is generally considered to be the 13" rMBP refurb with 256 GB of storage.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF840LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Apple is very likely to update the MBP by this fall, but honestly it will be a totally new design with all USB-C and stuff, so slightly bleeding edge, and the current model will be convenient.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have a mid-2014 15" rMBP and I love it and it's more than fast enough for any development needs. It's no slouch when running VMs or really anything except AAA video games. You won't be disappointed with current models, especially if you can get them at a discount, since I don't expect a price drop with a redesigned new model. I think 256gb of storage is too small though, if you're going to use it heavily and have a lot of VMs, the 512 seems like a better option.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Pivo posted:

I have a mid-2014 15" rMBP and I love it and it's more than fast enough for any development needs. It's no slouch when running VMs or really anything except AAA video games. You won't be disappointed with current models, especially if you can get them at a discount, since I don't expect a price drop with a redesigned new model. I think 256gb of storage is too small though, if you're going to use it heavily and have a lot of VMs, the 512 seems like a better option.

Yeah I am a bit concerned about storage space, as I probably will never use the SD slot would anyone know much about these types of SD memory expansion cards?

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Storage-Expansion-TS128GJDL130/dp/B00K73NT0S

Those are way cheaper than paying Apple for more storage.

Edit: Using an SD card for storage is a bit concerning so I'll probably just buy the upgraded storage space when I get the mac but I'm still curious if I could put a copy of my mp3's on something like this.

I have lots to learn. :)

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you want a lot of storage for relatively cheap at home, get a NAS. You can even set it up to be accessible over the Internet when you're out and about. But trust me, having shitloads of "omg super fast" storage directly in the computer is a lot better. The low-profile SD card solutions work (from what I hear) but they are slow, compared to the internal PCIe SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

If you want a lot of storage for relatively cheap at home, get a NAS. You can even set it up to be accessible over the Internet when you're out and about. But trust me, having shitloads of "omg super fast" storage directly in the computer is a lot better. The low-profile SD card solutions work (from what I hear) but they are slow, compared to the internal PCIe SSD.

Or just get a 1-2 TB USB hard drive so you can actually take it with you when you leave house with your MacBook. The slim drives are only the size of an iPhone and fit in any laptop bag.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Edit: Using an SD card for storage is a bit concerning so I'll probably just buy the upgraded storage space when I get the mac but I'm still curious if I could put a copy of my mp3's on something like this.
Do what I did: buy another Mac laptop (used) with a 512GB drive, switch it with your 128GB/256GB drive, then resell the used laptop you bought. Even if you lost $100 (I sold it for what I paid for it) you've upgraded to 512GB storage for less than the $300 Apple wants.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Yeah I am a bit concerned about storage space, as I probably will never use the SD slot would anyone know much about these types of SD memory expansion cards?

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Storage-Expansion-TS128GJDL130/dp/B00K73NT0S

I have lots to learn. :)

I have one of these. As long as the macbook you end up buying supports USB3, then they are plenty fast for most media consumption. I watch (lightly compressed) BluRay rips directly off one of these, and it has no problems with playback. It's a bit slow to copy files to it (from what I remember, it writes at about 5--15 MB/sec), but that's about the only downside. So, I can confirm that they work for media, and like Pivo says, they're a bit slow, but not painfully so for media playback.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah I have a Jetdrive from Transcend, it was a relatively cheap way to double my storage since I was an idiot and went with the 128gb rMBP.

It's not as fast as an SSD, but I have zero complaints about speed for what I do use it for (mostly storing work files.) I also have a 1TB USB drive but I rarely use that for anything but Time Machine backups and if I'm working with large video files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The bigger the USB drive the faster they are - I have a 16GB one (not sure why I have it, I have a 64GB one too) and it's slower than turtles loving. Like a couple mb/s.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

The bigger the USB drive the faster they are - I have a 16GB one (not sure why I have it, I have a 64GB one too) and it's slower than turtles loving. Like a couple mb/s.

16GB thumb drives faster than that do exist. I've had the 16GB SanDisk CZ80 for a few years:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Transfer-Speeds-SDCZ80-064G-GAM46/dp/B00KT7DOSE

The advertised speeds are realistic on this one, in fact I'm fairly sure I've seen it doing about 70 MB/s write (better than the advertised 50).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BobHoward posted:

16GB thumb drives faster than that do exist. I've had the 16GB SanDisk CZ80 for a few years:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Transfer-Speeds-SDCZ80-064G-GAM46/dp/B00KT7DOSE

The advertised speeds are realistic on this one, in fact I'm fairly sure I've seen it doing about 70 MB/s write (better than the advertised 50).

I have the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB. Famous on various internet forums for being slower than poo poo. :smith:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do what I did: buy another Mac laptop (used) with a 512GB drive, switch it with your 128GB/256GB drive, then resell the used laptop you bought. Even if you lost $100 (I sold it for what I paid for it) you've upgraded to 512GB storage for less than the $300 Apple wants.

That totally wouldn't void the warranty or anything I'm sure, and I'm also sure it carries no risk of breaking anything. There's a real risk here that a newbie will be SOL for a measly 256 GB. No way.

As a newbie with limited funds, I'd do the following:

1. Get a refurb (e.g. the 13"/256 MBP). It bears mentioning that in the case of Apple, "refurb" means "like new (and possibly actually new) in every single aspect" and not "intensely stinks of cold cigar smoke and everything is crammed into the box and has scuff marks". It also means FULL WARRANTY.
2. MOST DEFINITELY get AppleCare (and don't gently caress it up by doing your own weird internal modifications, opening the case is off limits). You have one year to get this, get it.
3. Put everything that doesn't need to be accessible at super fast speed in the cloud or on external HDs and use some streaming service for your music.
4. Profit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The lengths some people will go to save $200. :ironicat:

flavor posted:

As a newbie with limited funds, I'd do the following:

1. Get a refurb (e.g. the 13"/256 MBP). It bears mentioning that in the case of Apple, "refurb" means "like new (and possibly actually new) in every single aspect" and not "intensely stinks of cold cigar smoke and everything is crammed into the box and has scuff marks". It also means FULL WARRANTY.

This.

Apple Refurb Store is literally the only place I'd go to get a 'discount' Mac that wasn't new-in-box and on sale.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The lengths some people will go to save $200. :ironicat:
In my case it was "I already have a perfectly good 2013 rMBP"

Plus if you gently caress something up swapping SSD's... a monkey could do it. It's not like the old days where you could damage that fragile SATA cable in a MacBook Pro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Plus if you gently caress something up swapping SSD's... a monkey could do it. It's not like the old days where you could damage that fragile SATA cable in a MacBook Pro.

That's patently different from this poster's situation. In that context you're basically suggesting he buy two notebooks, do a transplant, and then speculate on the resale value of the now less desirable donor.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

There's still the aspect of the warranty.

Look, I'm sure you and I can do this without breaking anything, but it's not something I would seriously recommend to someone as their first experience with a Mac. I have no issues building my own PCs, but the parameters are different for that (there's no warranty or support for the whole thing to begin with and I'm not relying on my gaming PC for a living). Plus there's the whole aspect of having to speculate on the resale value of the other MBP. No thanks.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

guy just wants a mac to hookup to his second monitor. Get a macbook, plug in hdmi cables. Install synergy on your pc and mac. Enable ssh on the mac and make an alias for 'caffeinate -u -t 5'. bang, only have to open the lid if you reboot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well this was unexpected. Wanted yes, but unexpected:
http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/macos-sierra-had-native-egpu-support

quote:

First attempt with one of our flashed Titan-Xs on nMP 6,1 showed some new info in the Displays panel about "automatic display switching". Perfect boot, display working, CUDA working. No system mods whatsoever.

Not sure how non-EFI cards will work.

Not sure how laptops will work.

​But this is a HUGE step forward for OSX !

Edit: or not: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,11557.0.html
Should've figured to check there first.

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 17, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've never considered it till now, but it would be much better to switch to just a rMBP with an eGPU than run my current Hackintosh rig mostly for the graphics horsepower.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've never considered it till now, but it would be much better to switch to just a rMBP with an eGPU than run my current Hackintosh rig mostly for the graphics horsepower.

Yeah. I've been using my older rMBP as my primary computer even at home for a while now and my only regret is not switching sooner. Once I get a new notebook this fall, having e-gpu is my big objective, and just using it as a normal notebook when I'm not home.