Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Drill it into the mountain a fee hundred feet blow the summit. See Bruce Willis cinematic masterpiece Armageddon for explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I approve of this plan, and not just because my bet in the death pool depends on it.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Outrail posted:

Drill it into the mountain a fee hundred feet blow the summit. See Bruce Willis cinematic masterpiece Armageddon for explanation.

Probably a good idea, I do think dropping it from a plane is kind of unethical. But then possibly you could just drill lots of holes and slide the top right off?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But then less idiots would die up there, idgi

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In 10 years China will give helicopter rides to the summit from their side. 3 times a day a helicopter will come rumbling down causing avalanches below it. The doors will open and dozens of rich Chinese tourist will step out wearing North Face jackets. They will tweet some selfies and each claim to be some kind of "first" on the summit. Then they will pile back into the helicopter to leave causing another avalanche.

The Nepal government will ironically call it a gross exploitation of the mountain.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

DrPlump posted:

In 10 years China will give helicopter rides to the summit from their side. 3 times a day a helicopter will come rumbling down causing avalanches below it. The doors will open and dozens of rich Chinese tourist will step out wearing North Face jackets. They will tweet some selfies and each claim to be some kind of "first" on the summit. Then they will pile back into the helicopter to leave causing another avalanche.

The Nepal government will ironically call it a gross exploitation of the mountain.

actually and sadly yes

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Maybe not, if the project were scheduled for the right time of the year... average it out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

unpacked robinhood posted:

Yes but then K2 would be the tallest and more people would die on that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
First death of the Karakoram summer season in Pakistan - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1034599923289067&id=100002172082389&pnref=story

quote:

It should have been a dream, almost too good to be true. One of those that provide a thousand emotions and memories that last a lifetime. But yesterday the coveted first ski descent of Laila Peak in Pakistan transformed into an absolute tragedy: during the descent the 27-year-old alpinist Leonardo Comelli fell to his death while skiing close to the other members of the expedition Carlo Cosi, Zeno Cecon and Enrico Mosetti.

The four members of this small but experienced Italian expedition reached Pakistan’s Karakoram range in late May in order to attempt the first ski descent of the NW Face of Laila Peak, a stunning 1500m ramp previously attempted, unsuccessfully, by other expeditions. After setting up their advanced base camp at 5350m the four made their push towards the 6096m high summit, but turned back circa 150m below the top as snow conditions at altitude weren’t ideal.

According to preliminary reports, during a traverse Comelli crossed his skis, lost his balance and fell circa 400m down steep mixed terrain. The other members of the expedition could do nothing more than retrieve the body, transport it to a safer place and raise the alarm.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

what's the point of raising the alarm once he's dead, recovered, and stashed somewhere safe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

what's the point of raising the alarm once he's dead, recovered, and stashed somewhere safe?

“Hey everybody, you may not have noticed, but this mountain is deadly!”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/alan_arnette/status/742066360415457280

There's hope for this thread yet.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Italians you say? The other 3 killed him.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

simplefish posted:

Italians you say? The other 3 killed him.

"Yesterday it was your ski, tomorrow it is your ski, but today, it is my ski."

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mountains over there each have their own god who will kill the unpurified non-believers on their mountain if you pray to them. Does anyone know the god that controls K2's english name?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I think it’s neat that K2 is named after a surveyor’s designation because none of the locals were foolhardy enough to even get within sight of the thing.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I think it’s neat that K2 is named after a surveyor’s designation because none of the locals were foolhardy enough to even get within sight of the thing.

Well then all hail kaytoo. May his location and his victims go unnoticed for many years to come.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look at me, I am the tent captain now.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

he french fried when he should have pizza'd smh.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Isn't K2 pretty drat remote? As in 50mile hike along glacier valleys before you even get near it remote? + far from any settlement so quickish help and or anything else is not available.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Supradog posted:

Isn't K2 pretty drat remote? As in 50mile hike along glacier valleys before you even get near it remote? + far from any settlement so quickish help and or anything else is not available.

I read a ton of books recommended in these threads, and if I'm not misremembering something, you need to hike for days from the nearest settlement until you get your first glimpse of K2.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Pfft K2 real heroes climb Fitz Roy or the Shark Fin on Meru.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

mcustic posted:

I read a ton of books recommended in these threads, and if I'm not misremembering something, you need to hike for days from the nearest settlement until you get your first glimpse of K2.

Only poors use their feet to journey. Real people take the helicopter!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The Balti term for K2 is Chogori. Balti is a proto-Tibetan language that is closely related to Ladakhi and Kham Tibetan, it did not evolve like standard Tibetan but like an English speaker who knows about language development can suss out a little Old English, I am able to speculate that while this is generally translated "big mountain," it is probably the origin of the modern Tibetan word མཆོག་ meaning "supreme" or "the best." Ri in Balti is the same as standard Tibetan རི་ meaning "mountain."

So for your purposes of homage in a name, K2 could definitely be called "Supreme Mountain." This is consistent also with how deities are named in Tibetan (e.g. སྒྲོལ་མ་ Drolma, Tara, lit. liberation woman, བདེ་མཆོག་འཁོར་ལོ་ Dechog Khorlo, Chakrasamvara, lit. wheel of great bliss).

So if you want to do rituals to protect those dudes supplications to Chogori would be appropriate I should think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think he wants Chogori to eat the people.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Also I'm phone posting or I'd find it, but if you're into colonial English sensibilities, Aleister Crowley details both of his attempts on K2 in his autobiography. Googling his autobiography should find it, it's somewhere in the chapters 30s or 40s if I recall correctly and chock full of that delightful old world racism.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

I think he wants Chogori to eat the people.

I mean that's not really something I can provide ritual advice on as it edges into sorcery but I'm not saying it's not possible lmao

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chogori mouth eat the eggs(climbers)!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Chrpno posted:

May I postulate for a moment, just say we placed a nuclear bomb right on the summit, ran back down the hill and pushed the button. How much shorter would Everest be when the dust settled? Maybe the Hiroshima bomb would only take a couple of metres off, but a brand new 2016 build would probably bust that fucker down to Ben Nevis/Kosciusko levels. The radiation wouldn't be a problem, no-one lives there, and it would probably make the summers quite pleasant in a couple of years. Is China, India, or the USA best qualified to take on this job?

quote:

The Muslims' big guns were on the south side of the range; they never even heard them. Their shells whistled over the stars, leaving white rainbow frost trails on the black sky. The majority of these shells landed on the massive white mountain to the cast of the huge pass, blasting it with one stupendous explosion after another, as if the Muslims had gone crazy and declared war on the rocks of the Earth. 'Why do they hate that mountain so much?' Bai asked.

'That's Chomolungma,' Iwa said. 'That was the tallest mountain in the world, but the Muslims have knocked the summit pyramid down until it's lower than the second tallest, which is a peak in Afghanistan. So now the tallest peak in the world is Muslim.'

His face was its usual blank, but he sounded sad, as though the mountain mattered to him. This worried Bai: if Iwa had gone mad, everyone on Earth had gone mad. Iwa would be the last to go. But maybe it had happened. A soldier in their squad had begun to weep helplessly at the sight of dead horses and mules. He was fine at the sight of dead men scattered about, but the bloated bodies of their poor beasts broke his heart. It made sense in a strange way, but for mountains Bai could conjure up no sympathy. At the most it was one god fewer. Part of the struggle in the bardo.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The Years of Rice and Salt?

I didn't make it that far into the book, but I found the scenario very interesting.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Chogori is a perfect name for a blood God.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Da K-2? You don't wanna go down dat run. Dat run's gotta a history. 35 people have died going down it. Some say you can still see their ghosts up der. It was on dat very ski run that a group of students were killed by a wolf-boy who escaped from the mental institution. You see, that ski run was once de burial grounds to a tribe of vampire sherpas who ate the flesh of children with no eyes. Yah... a lot of history on dat ski run.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Look where I was today.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why did she choose that as a bg again?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did we ever get the actual selfies she took on the summit, between the photoshop and the canada draped body ?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what if the maple leaf pic was a selfie :ghost:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Well in a week a start my 40 day mountain trekking season. 6 peaks : Musala (Bulgaria, 2925m), Vihren (Bulgaria, 2914m), Illiniza Norte (Ecuador, 5126m), Cayambe (Ecuador, 5790m), Chimborazo (Ecuador, 6268m), and El Teide (Tenerife, 3718m).
Maybe Everest next year?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LastCaress posted:

Well in a week a start my 40 day mountain trekking season. 6 peaks : Musala (Bulgaria, 2925m), Vihren (Bulgaria, 2914m), Illiniza Norte (Ecuador, 5126m), Cayambe (Ecuador, 5790m), Chimborazo (Ecuador, 6268m), and El Teide (Tenerife, 3718m).
Maybe Everest next year?

4 deaths and 1 goon summit, calling it now. Don't gently caress me LastCaress

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LastCaress posted:

Maybe Everest next year?

Sounds like hell. I usually just fly over em. It only takes a few hours if you do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool that LastCaress will be able to post here directly from the summit to blame us for his death. I don't think the earlier goons who died could do that back when this kind of thread first started.