Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nathyrra posted:

Rumoured 23/06 date for Steam sale confirmed.

I'm gonna make a thread. It's still too early though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Origin as a download service is totally fine and their tech support has always been super prompt + helpful to me whenever I had a problem. The main issue is remembering to use Origin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Origin experience as a whole is probably better than Steam if only because of support actually existing. You even get free classics every once in a while. Its definitely no Uplay.

But it doesn't have all the animes, or that gay mini game collection so what are you going to do besides play ball.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It had Nox as the free download a couple weeks ago, which is pretty much worth the price of admission.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Origin is ok but one of the reasons for that is because it's not as huge as Steam. If it got hit by the amount of people that go on Steam every day you'd start seeing the same problems Steam has.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Palpek posted:

Origin is ok but one of the reasons for that is because it's not as huge as Steam. If it got hit by the amount of people that go on Steam every day you'd start seeing the same problems Steam has.

It's also pretty easy (though a bit janky) to get Origin games to launch through Steam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's also pretty easy (though a bit janky) to get Origin games to launch through Steam.

Actually, how do you mean? I remember trying to get Syndicate and it was a mess (putting the whole Origin as the shortcut on Steam) and it didn't work very well in the end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Most origin games don't actually need to be launched through Origin.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

sauer kraut posted:

EA finally got me, DA:Inquisition GOTY for 20 bucks was the key to installing Origin and even giving them money.
Let's see if this baby can crack the record of Amalur Complete at 104 hours played.

GOA edition 20 dollars.
If I want to buy all the Story DLC currently on sale? 30 dollars. I don't understand these prices.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, how do you mean? I remember trying to get Syndicate and it was a mess (putting the whole Origin as the shortcut on Steam) and it didn't work very well in the end.

I do this, which seems to work fine:

Step 1. Open Steam and click 'ADD A GAME / Add a Non-Steam Game'. Browse for the game .exe. Click Open and hit Add Selected Programs.

Step 2. Copy the path to the Origin exe.

Step 3. Open Steam and find the shortcut you made and select properties. Under 'Target' paste the file path BEHIND the path that was there when you opened properties in the first place. Make sure there's a space in between the paths and quotations(" ") that appear. Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\GAMENAME\GAMENAME.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe" and hit close.

Step 4. Go the Origin Application Settings. Under General, Uncheck 'Automatically Launch Origin When I log into Windows'. Now Under the Advanced Tab, Check 'Automatically Exit After closing a game'.

That's mostly nicked from a reddit post, but it's what I use for Origin games.

edit:

Mokinokaro posted:

Most origin games don't actually need to be launched through Origin.

This too - especially the older games they give away.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

GOA edition 20 dollars.
If I want to buy all the Story DLC currently on sale? 30 dollars. I don't understand these prices.

It's so you feel compelled to buy the complete edition to get what you want because its cheaper and EA/Ubisoft/WB/Activision/etc gets to add a tick mark to their "copies sold" column.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That's mostly nicked from a reddit post, but it's what I use for Origin games.

Thanks, going to use that whenever I get the chance to play the Mass Effect games.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Kibayasu posted:

It's so you feel compelled to buy the complete edition to get what you want because its cheaper and EA/Ubisoft/WB/Activision/etc gets to add a tick mark to their "copies sold" column.

Funny, all it does is make me go "Welp maybe it will be cheaper next year".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks, going to use that whenever I get the chance to play the Mass Effect games.

The first two Mass Effects can still be bought and launched directly from Steam, iirc. You still have to hunt for all the DLC through the kooky Bioware network thing unless you buy the complete editions, however.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

This to me is a pretty poor excuse for bad service.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

WirelessPillow posted:

Funny, all it does is make me go "Welp maybe it will be cheaper next year".

This policy's also made me swear off buying any Bethesda product until the GOTY edition is out. Except Dishonored 2 :smith:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Underwhelmed posted:

Valve could definitely use another customer service rep bolster the number up from zero, that's for sure.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Origin Access doesn't look like a bad deal, I'd be tempted to try it out if I didn't already own almost everything on that list that I would be interested in.

exquisite tea posted:

The first two Mass Effects can still be bought and launched directly from Steam, iirc. You still have to hunt for all the DLC through the kooky Bioware network thing unless you buy the complete editions, however.

There are no complete editions for the Mass Effect games. It's really dumb and the DLC never goes on sale.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

Mind linking me to the latter? Last time I checked they had a Mass Effect Trilogy that lacked the big DLCs except for the first game.

e;f,b on the answer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Veotax posted:

There are no complete editions for the Mass Effect games. It's really dumb and the DLC never goes on sale.

I thought the Mass Effect trilogy got you all the relevant DLC from ME1+ME2. I guess that's only for consoles?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

I'm gonna make a thread. It's still too early though.

Heck yes, I look forward to seeing the same posts in two threads.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the Mass Effect trilogy got you all the relevant DLC from ME1+ME2. I guess that's only for consoles?

quote:

you'd have to get for ME2:
Kasumi: Stolen Memory
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Overlord
Arrival

And for ME3:
Citadel
Omega
Leviathan
Javik: From Ashes
Extended Cut

basically all the story heavy DLC's except one or two

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Underwhelmed posted:

I'm not treating it as an excuse, it's just a factor. Steam gets 11 million consecutive users every single day while Origin maybe 100k if you count all the bigger multiplyer games they have. I would love for Steam to have a competent customer service.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

WirelessPillow posted:

basically all the story heavy DLC's except one or two

From Ashes I think you get just for buying ME3 new, and the Extended Cut is free. So for those getting these games for the first time, I'd say the order of importance for ME2 is Shadow Broker (must have), Kasumi (must have), and Overlord/Arrival being good but skippable.

For ME3 you'd absolutely want Citadel, and Leviathan is good, too. But Omega is its own self-contained storyline and is totally skippable unless you just totally love the combat and Aria.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ragequit posted:

Me too, it's double the excitement.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

Me too, it's double the excitement.

I'm doing endurance training, it's not gonna be easy to double my shitposting.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Bramble posted:

Ugh, something really upsets me about that PayPal dweeb.

Me, I'm just disturbed by the fact that he kind of looks like if Reggie Watts lost almost all of his weight and shaved his head.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Seems like customer service reps should scale by customer. In fact, it seems like in theory smaller businesses would have a harder time accurately resourcing customer service reps because of load balancing dynamics and more costly redundancy producing slack that probably necessitates them performing other roles in addition to customer service. There are other factors like having the resources to capitalize on reusable work like knowledge bases etc

/wage cuck

Veotax
May 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Not even then, you just get whatever DLC came packed-in with the game at release. The PS3 version is the best value, since ME2 released on the PS3 so late it comes with all the DLC apart from Arrival (which launched after the PS3 release) and the weapon/costume packs (which they decided to sell rather than pack in with the game). No matter which format you buy the trilogy pack on ME3 come with none of the DLC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm doing endurance training, it's not gonna be easy to double my shitposting.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

From Ashes I think you get just for buying ME3 new, and the Extended Cut is free. So for those getting these games for the first time, I'd say the order of importance for ME2 is Shadow Broker (must have), Kasumi (must have), and Overlord/Arrival being good but skippable.

Deluxe edition / collectors edition only. I played without Javik since I got the normal edition and apparently he was a really big deal in the story.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Javik fills in a ton of details about the Prothians and their war with the Reapers, but he doesn't really add anything to the main story of the game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So does One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 just not work with xbox one controllers? I'm on Windows 10 and have seen other people complaining about the same thing.

All it does is spin my camera in a circle and still show all the keyboard prompts. The controller works fine with Rocket League, etc. so I don't think that's the issue.

I could try it on a 360 controller I guess? But if the controller support is this bad then I'll just refund the game today I suppose.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Javik is a really important character. I've never played through the game without him but I think it would feel incomplete without his presence there, especially since he reverses your entire conceptions around who the Protheans were and their motivations for "uplifting" the other races. He also owns as a squadmate in general.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh, sure. He adds a ton and I would never play the game without that DLC installed, but he isn't 100% vital to the story. If you didn't know the DLC existed and played the game without it you wouldn't really notice anything missing apart from his room in the Normandy being locked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

So does One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 just not work with xbox one controllers? I'm on Windows 10 and have seen other people complaining about the same thing.

All it does is spin my camera in a circle and still show all the keyboard prompts. The controller works fine with Rocket League, etc. so I don't think that's the issue.

I could try it on a 360 controller I guess? But if the controller support is this bad then I'll just refund the game today I suppose.

It's an Xbox One controller specific problem, the right trigger is kept pressed in and I haven't been able to fix it. 360 should be fine.

There's no button prompts tho, unfortunately

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I think Javik is a really important character. I've never played through the game without him but I think it would feel incomplete without his presence there, especially since he reverses your entire conceptions around who the Protheans were and their motivations for "uplifting" the other races. He also owns as a squadmate in general.
Javik is the the best squadmate and it's specifically advisable to take him everywhere together with Liara who is a huge Prothean fanboy just to see him own her over and over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Mass Effect 3: SimCity Apology edition without that guy and the game felt fine to me. If he was that important he probably shouldn't have been DLC

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ragequit posted:

I feel safe knowing the haul posts will be quarantined in their own thread.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD

16. Children of the Nile

There are plenty of historical city-builders, but only two set in ancient Egypt that I know of. One is Pharaoh, an off-shoot of the classic Caesar series, and this is the other. Now over a decade old, Children of the Nile gave players the freedom to build great cities and earn prestige on vast maps, with a detailed citizen simulation that rivaled that of the Tropico series. It may be showing its age, but there's plenty more reasons to take a look at it besides it being nearly the only game in town.

In Children of the Nile, you are Pharaoh, absolute ruler of your little patch of desert. From your palace you order the construction of homes and shops, direct the tasks of your citizens, and seek to raise your own prestige. That first point turns out to be blessedly easier than in most city-builders, because this game has a distinct lack of currency or building materials. Most homes are completely free to grant space to, and you need only wait for the residents to move in from whatever uncivilized village they've been grubbing around in. Basic shops and services are also free, and any key buildings beyond that require only a small amount of bricks to erect.

Right from the get-go, then, you are completely open to build and expand as you see fit. There ARE resources, of course, but the important ones are very easy to keep track of. Your most basic resource is food, which feeds your people and is used in your civic buildings as a sort of currency. The peasant class farms food for you automatically, but are limited in number by how many nobles you have. And your nobles are limited only by your ability to provide them services, most of which cost you additional food. This simple balance keeps the game on a steady pace of expansion, where you're never really limited by resources and would really have to go out of your way to foul up.

As you expand you'll start to run across the more granular resources, everything from papayrus reeds to obsidian quarries. Your shops need access to raw materials to make goods, and the most complex construction projects like statues and pyramids require special stone. As I mentioned, Children of the Nile operates much like Tropico where each citizen is modeled and must go about their day in real-time. This could threaten to cause bottlenecks and catastrophic failures as it does in the earlier Tropicos, but here your citizens have generous ranges of travel and stay focused on their tasks. You'll still run into some folks too busy or lazy to go pray or shop, but the consequences of irritating your citizens is very mild and usually easily rectified.

There are dozens of buildings and services to construct, from temples to courts to tombs, and in most scenarios you'll need to make the most of all of them. Key to the progression systems is Prestige, a measure of how respected your Pharaoh is. Prestige is needed to recruit more educated workers, key positions like priests and overseers, and is earned by constructing grand buildings and decorations, winning military victories, and other exploits. Prestige can also degrade over time and you lose some when your Pharaoh passes on, so it's an element that requires constant attention. Usually the paths to earning Prestige in a given scenario are obvious, and the rest of the game is relaxed enough that you'll have plenty of time to focus on your fortune and glory.

I did mention military victories and other exploits, because Children of the Nile is not content to give you just one plot of land to lord over. You also have a world map that shows all of Egypt and the surrounding lands, with points of interest marked. For a cost of food, envoys, and other resources, you can open new trade routes, set up labor camps for resources not found on your map (very useful for the limestone needed for pyramids), and attack barbarian encampments. Combat on the world map requires no interaction, you just send troops like resources, but in harder scenarios you may be attacked and will need to raise and outfit an army. It's a pretty sizable undertaking but again there's no real combat to speak of, your soldiers automatically seek out and destroy invaders.

You'll find plenty to do in each of the game's 15 scenarios, for the maps are enormous and offer multiple locations that would suit a city. Resources are also scattered liberally so you're never really tied to a single spot except in the case of quarries. All of this is rendered in some chunky but serviceable 3D, complete with shadows and rising Nile waters, but the graphics are really where the game shows its age. Your cities can easily grow into huge, sprawling affairs that are hard to parse without the modern accoutrements of depth of field and fluid camera controls. The sound design still holds up at least, with plenty of quaint sound effects and little dialogue quips from your citizens. As long as the dated graphics don't throw you off this is a fantastically interesting and chill builder that's easy to get into and hard to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Srice posted:

It's an Xbox One controller specific problem, the right trigger is kept pressed in and I haven't been able to fix it. 360 should be fine.

There's no button prompts tho, unfortunately

Well, if you're fine with modifying the game files a bit, you can get the button prompts - https://steamcommunity.com/app/331600/discussions/0/520518053449569139/

• Locked thread