Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

chaos rhames posted:

If you open a chair barefoot you stub your toe.

If you open a chair

barefoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mordaedil posted:

I want to be called the Nintendo eXtreme Entertainment System to be very 90's.

It's the Legend of Zelda and it's really rad
Those creatures from Ganon are pretty bad

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

Decided to play majora's mask again cause the new game made me excited for zelda

It made me want to get back to my Zelda series replay. Got burned out around the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time after beating Zelda 1, 2, ALttP and Link's Awakening in quick succession.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just want to play this game already :negative:

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

The reveal of this game has made me stop regretting owning a Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Same but instead of this game it was the last like 10 games Nintendo's released for Wii U.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Same but instead of this game it was the last like 10 games Nintendo's released for Wii U.

Boring rear end Mario Tennis?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a harpy posted:

The reveal of this game has made me stop regretting owning a Wii U.

Yeah, at first I was mad because they started seriously talking about a 2016/2017 release for the NX like the week after I bought my Wii U. Considering the usual state of affairs for Nintendo launch titles, though, this will probably be the one NX game I care about for the first year or so, and it's also coming out for the Wii U. It's pretty much a win-win for me. I'll get the game I actually want, and then I can hold off on buying into NX for a while.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really really wish I felt the same way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokken, Xenoblade, and Smash Bros have all justified the purchase for me. That said, they're the only ones so far :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the wii u is epic

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Infinitum posted:

Boring rear end Mario Tennis?

Okay, the last 10 or so games I bought. I'm not dumb enough to pin my hopes and dreams on a Mario sports game, thank christ.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A friend of mine is completely convinced that this game will have a dual-world time travel mechanic like OoT. Personally, I'm very very tired of that in my Zelda games.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the dual world stuff is to make double use of of a small game area to make the game seem bigger, this game doesn't need that as it looks like we have multiple landmasses to explore.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah exactly. That's what I told him, but he has totally convinced himself that all the towns and NPCs and rupees will only exist in "past" Hyrule.

Personally, I'm hoping for more time-fuckery like in Skyward Sword.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I think there are already enough Zeldas with time travel but it's such a staple of the series, I wouldn't be surprised if it returned in this game.

I haven't seen all of the minute to minute demo content, how does Link get the Champion Shirt (the blue one from the original trailer)?

e: I loved the stamina gauge in SS and how it changed your thinking about approaching a fight, so glad it's back.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 16, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silvain posted:

Nah, I prefer sexy Impa.

That is sexy Impa.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't think I've been this hyped for a Zelda since Ocarina. Maybe Wind Waker? Can it be 2017 already?

Pollyanna posted:

Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokken, Xenoblade, and Smash Bros have all justified the purchase for me. That said, they're the only ones so far :(

Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8.

NSMBU and Nintendoland are good too but more of "get this if you're already getting the system" way. Hyrule Warriors is fun but seeing how much better the 3DS version is has killed my desire to ever go back to it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MokBa posted:

Yeah exactly. That's what I told him, but he has totally convinced himself that all the towns and NPCs and rupees will only exist in "past" Hyrule.

that's dumb, the only reason we didn't see any towns on the plateau was A.) because it's a demo and B.) because it's supposed to be a mythical origin of all hyrule mystical place.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Time-fuckery is pretty cliche by now. What I want since this is basically a re-imagining of the NES Zelda is either caves inhabited by survivors or small ramshackle communities ala Fallout. This is supposed to be a post apocalyptic Hyrule, right?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Time-fuckery is pretty cliche by now. What I want since this is basically a re-imagining of the NES Zelda is either caves inhabited by survivors or small ramshackle communities ala Fallout. This is supposed to be a post apocalyptic Hyrule, right?

It might be pre-apoclypse actually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't think we will know what kind of Hyrule it is until the game comes out which BTW I wish was sooner I need this oh god.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Rocketlex posted:

I want David Cage to make a Kirby game.

Anyway, I think the weirdest thing about this game is the idea of Nintendo making a heavily physics-based game. Playing around with physics objects really isn't the kind of gameplay Nintendo's done in the past, at least not on this scale. It's so strange to imagine solving Half-Life-esque physics puzzles to beat a Zelda dungeon.

I even started writing an article talking about how Nintendo never does physics but now I have to scrap it.

http://magcius.github.io/npx.js/npx.html

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8.

That's a close list for me, but minus MK8 and add WW HD and Splatoon and Bayonetta (which I bought on goon recommendation and am VERY glad I did.) That's a decent list of games but my Wii U is still literally collecting dust while I'm busy on every other console I have. Ultimately, I feel like the truly new experiences I got with it were Splatoon, Mario Maker (which just wasn't my thing, although I love watching my favorite YouTube personalities play it), and Bayonetta, but only because I missed out on it last gen. The console just doesn't feel new...

But that's the thing about the new Zelda. To me, it says that Nintendo is trying to really do something new. They're being influenced by games outside of their view and they either have lots of new blood that they're willing to take a risk for or the veterans are making a change. I mean, for all I know, this could be a really cool glimpse of originality from them and then they could just return to making more core, solid Nintendo titles that everyone expects. But I no longer know what to expect, and that's a cool feeling from Nintendo, and that makes me happy to have my Wii U and and suddenly leaves me feeling interested in the NX.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MokBa posted:

A friend of mine is completely convinced that this game will have a dual-world time travel mechanic like OoT. Personally, I'm very very tired of that in my Zelda games.

I'd love to see another season-changing mechanic, which would potentially work really well with the whole survival aspect. Having trouble getting through a cold area? Change to summer!

It's been done before in oracle but its not nearly as mined to death as time travel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of wind controlling ability if not the wind waker itself, since you have that glider and wind seems to affect it heavily.

My personal theory is this is either old Hyrule after the ocean dried up, or if Ganon had gotten his wish at the end of wind waker.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just realized that the game's title is Breath of the Wild, not Breadth.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm so psyched for this game that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like, I dunno, maybe the physics end up feeling too floaty and we'll all be wishing they didn't bother. Please be good BOTW!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just wish someone had tried to shield surf onto a bomb and then detonate it, or stasis a rock, smack it, then climb on top.

I see people complaining about Link's movement speed, and I also agree sprinting should degrade stamina at maybe half the rate it does, but given you have a horse, a glider, and presumably stamina upgrades I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They mentioned on the stream that you can just like eat food as you run in order to boost your stamina indefinitely and stuff like that.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The reveal of this game made me go back and try Zelda 1 for the first time since I was like 5 years old. It's one of the only Zelda games I never finished, and I had it in my head (mostly from whiney internet people who I guess are bad at games) that the game is unplayable today without a guide because it was designed to be to be so confusing that you would have to talk to other people that have played it to figure out what to do.

Anyway, if anyone was stupid enough to believe that (like me) I highly recommend you play it because not only is it playable without a guide but it's incredibly fun and addictive and I'm having a blast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of wind controlling ability if not the wind waker itself, since you have that glider and wind seems to affect it heavily.

My personal theory is this is either old Hyrule after the ocean dried up, or if Ganon had gotten his wish at the end of wind waker.

Personally I'm thinking it simply takes place sometime after Spirit Tracks, the world kept evolving with its tech until we got these magic iORunes tablet, Demise's spirit resurrected into what is called Calamity Ganon and the world lost all the technological upgrades. Maybe the world is so vertical due to seismic activity messing up the land due to magic bs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Personally I'm thinking it simply takes place sometime after Spirit Tracks, the world kept evolving with its tech until we got these magic iORunes tablet, Demise's spirit resurrected into what is called Calamity Ganon and the world lost all the technological upgrades. Maybe the world is so vertical due to seismic activity messing up the land due to magic bs.

I dunno, a big valley area and a mention of a Calamity smells like a magic nuke to me. Especially as the Guardians at the Temple of Time all look like they got destroyed simultaneously mid-attack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

They mentioned on the stream that you can just like eat food as you run in order to boost your stamina indefinitely and stuff like that.

If that's true I hope they add in some sort of quick select so I don't have to pause while sprinting also that the same is also true for climbing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, a big valley area and a mention of a Calamity smells like a magic nuke to me. Especially as the Guardians at the Temple of Time all look like they got destroyed simultaneously mid-attack.

I like the theory that it's post-flood Hyrule. It helps that WW's Moblins and Koroks are present as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Wii U is my favorite console since the SNES but I'll still probably get this on NX unless the NX version turns out to be a slightly scaled down handheld version.

I hope we'll be able to build a house. It would be neat to be able to hang up equipment you find.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

I like the theory that it's post-flood Hyrule. It helps that WW's Moblins and Koroks are present as well.

If the Kingdom was started/centered on a "high plateau" then that makes perfect sense its post-flood world. It's got to be centuries after the founding of Hyrule and all the Sheikah tech might just be left over from what was in the area before the Kingdom got started.

That or it's a prequel to LTTP. The whole sense of "decline" plays pretty heavily into the OOT fail timeline.

Or the Goddess merged the 3 timelines and this is the "final" game in the Zelda franchise.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hey, in the trailer at around 2 min 15 sec:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE&t=135s

You can see Link do what looks like a parry against a chuchu. This wasn't something you could do in the demo or showed off in the TreeHouse right? That suggests Link will end up learning new moves a la TP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

You can see Link do what looks like a parry against a chuchu. This wasn't something you could do in the demo or showed off in the TreeHouse right? That suggests Link will end up learning new moves a la TP.

I think they try the parry move in the Treehouse stream but whiff it and don't make any mention of it. They definitely swing the shield, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

i heard someone on the treehouse mention there being a perfect guard in addition to the perfect dodge, it was probably doable in the demo but a little more non-intuitive than the dodge