Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a Haswell-E 5820k processor. It's definitely fast, offers quad channel DDR4, and a bunch of PCI-E lanes that I don't need.
Anyway, besides some numerous nightmares I've had getting parts that work correctly, I now have a very well functioning and expensive system: a 5820k and an MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon motherboard.

However, I am interested in two areas where the Skylake 6700k kicks the rear end of the 5820k: single-core performance, and power efficiency. Both of these are important to me, and the 6700k has the advantage on both counts.

I was wondering if I would be crazy to offer a goon a trade my 5820k and MSI Godlike motherboard, for a motherboard that's good and on-par with the Msi Godlike Gaming mobo (which was overkill because apparently I hate money), as well as a 6700k that happens to be a decent overclocker?

I realize that no matter what I sorta loose money here, but I don't see how I can really sell these parts in exchange for buying a skylake motherboard and 6700k. The reason being I have zero of the original packaging, and on top of that one of the wifi-antennas is broken that came with the motherboard, but whoever did the trade could RMA it and get that replaced I imagine.

So, am I more retarded than ever, or is this a decent idea?

The biggest thing for me is the power efficiency: this thing simply takes up too much electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Is this "for gaming" or for actual productivity software like "hardcore excel useage".

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 16, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How much electricity is too much?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How about overclocking that sucker to 4.2ish Ghz? Then you would have similar single threaded performance.

I think both processors are roughly similar in power usage but add in 2 more cores from your superior CPU and you get the extra power usage.

I would never do that trade personally.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

incoherent posted:

Is this "for gaming" or for actual productivity software like "hardcore excel useage".

It's not just for gaming, it's also for programming.

I dunno, maybe I'm a stupid-head for even thinking about this :P

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For programming your extra cores will come in really hand for compiling.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is ridiculous. If you want lower power usage, tweak your settings for power efficiency. If you want more performance, overclock your cores. You can even do both of these things at the same time!

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Alereon posted:

This is ridiculous. If you want lower power usage, tweak your settings for power efficiency. If you want more performance, overclock your cores. You can even do both of these things at the same time!

This is true, I am slow :(

Feel free to close this thread, I'm keeping what I have.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What do you mean it takes up too much electricity?

TDP difference between them is all of 50w and thats at full load which you rarely are hitting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't really expect a workstation platform like that to idle as efficiently, but a lot of that is going to be the default settings that can be tweaked, especially with the latest BIOS and Windows 10.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

What do you mean it takes up too much electricity?

Didn't realize the TDP was that close on them.

I guess the issue came up because I had my pc running, then turned on my AC and it blew out my lamp and reset the pc, not too long ago.

However that is less the PC's fault and more the fault of how old this house is, I'm sure the wiring is ancient. But I move soon anyway so no big deal.

To top off my stupid and pointless thread, I have gone in the exact opposite direction of power efficiency: I overclocked my 5820k to 4.5ghz and my DDR4 3000 ram to 3200mhz. Prime 95 tested and stable. I really shouldn't be bitching, this accomplishes every task I throw at it insanely well.

It does likely hit full load quite often, as I work on the source code for a game, and one dll in particular takes about 20 minutes to compile but it's only that fast if I turn on multi-processor compilation, which runs the cpu at full load most of the time. I rebuild this same dll at least twice a day, on top of the other tasks I do.

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm happy with what I have.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
One note, if you have an 80+ Bronze or less efficient power supply, I think it would be worth the money to upgrade to a more efficient model. While the power savings aren't too significant on their own, if you're also paying to remove that heat or it affects your comfort, it might be worth it, especially if it reduces your noise levels.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed on the PSU. Easy to gain a bit of power savings.

Curious what cooler you are using to deal with that 6 core 4.5Ghz beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Alereon posted:

One note, if you have an 80+ Bronze or less efficient power supply, I think it would be worth the money to upgrade to a more efficient model. While the power savings aren't too significant on their own, if you're also paying to remove that heat or it affects your comfort, it might be worth it, especially if it reduces your noise levels.

No worries there, I have a new EVGA PSU with an 80+ Platinum rating.

@redeyes: Noctua NH-C14S w/ two 140mm fans.

• Locked thread