Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Kilonum posted:

Ugh, WEC app keeps dropping the video to my Chromecast every 5 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't do this poo poo during the race itself.

Edit: by the way Q2 happening now, possible rain in ~15 minutes.

From experience I'm inclined to blame Chromecast. Google had a novel idea but Jesus Christ I've never had a smooth good user experience with that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

1500quidporsche posted:

From experience I'm inclined to blame Chromecast. Google had a novel idea but Jesus Christ I've never had a smooth good user experience with that thing.

This is my first issue with it. Been using it since I got it for Netflix with no problems.

Also, just went 20min between drops.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My current menu for 24 Hours of Cooking/Father's Day Celebration

Green flag: Hashbrowns stacked with sausage, egg and avocado
Early afternoon: Shrimp/pork tacos
Evening: ???

Snacks: Pizza bagel bites(I did these two years ago I think?)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

That Tracy Krohn spin :catstare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

That Tracy Krohn spin :catstare:

They still let him drive?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

I bought the subscription through the website. it works on my laptop and phone.

Thanks. Just set up my account and am ready to roll. :c00lbert:

e: Of course I get it set up and today's session is over. :qq:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Nah there's another session in ~36 minutes from this post.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hope to see good poo poo from the Fords! Stoked for this weekend.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Oh speaking of Ford, lot of people are super pissed after yesterday of the BoP for Ford and Chevy. Chevy was quickest .2 sec or so and got hit with an air restrictor decrease and while Ford got a 25 kilo weight drop so now Ford as of last night was 1, 2, 4, 5 while Corvette is dead last 3 sec. behind with Ferrari magically gaining 3 - 5 sec from testing... 2 weeks ago. Already conspiracy theories of forcing a Ford vs Ferrari battle 50 years after Ford's win.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It's pretty much been an open secret that Ford and Ferrari were sandbagging to get favorable BoP for LeMans, I don't know how Chevy was suprised by that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Surprised to see Audi so far behind not only Porsche but also Toyota. They better hope to make up for this with reliability because they actually have to be faster than Porsche in the race to make up for their shorter stint duration.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It's.............wet :stare:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

CactusWeasle posted:

It's.............wet :stare:

https://twitter.com/Kilonum/status/743538308488232960

Also,

https://twitter.com/Kilonum/status/743538982663892992

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
OK the safety car driver is either bonkers or just very very good

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hell yes that safety car rules

On replay that totally looked intentional

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

Trust me, having seen the 919 Hybrids launch out of the final corner at COTA and rocket up to turn 1, you're wrong.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

jammyozzy posted:

Nah there's another session in ~36 minutes from this post.

Just realized that thanks to the app. Love this thing, absolutely worth the $15 or whatever USD it is.

It' frigging making GBS threads rain right now, wow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Trust me, having seen the 919 Hybrids launch out of the final corner at COTA and rocket up to turn 1, you're wrong.

Those things fly like barely caged lightning, they're hitting speeds that weren't sustainable 20 years ago, iirc all of the LMP Hybrids are at least part time AWD so they have double the contact patch to put power to the ground through once they get out of a corner.

Sure a Nissan R90CK with a stuck wastegate was an animal but this year in free practice, every single top Prototype team with the exception of Team Bykolles beat Blundell's pole time. In the case of the Hybrids, they're consistently lapping 10s faster.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Apparently privateer LMP1 teams are gonna be allowed DRS in a few years. That should be interesting.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Current P1s have tons of launch power, but also tons of grip and electronic help. In early Group C/GTP, you're talking similar power levels but no traction control, no electronic dif, no anti lag, basically no engine drivability to speak of, H-pattern boxes, 2 wheel drive, vastly more primitive shocks, floaty tire compounds, etc.

Some of those onboards of the era are straight scary.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol ACO just pulled the rug out from under the IMSA teams and told em they can't even run their DPi engines at lemans. Basically have to buy a whole new car to run the 24, after years of saying they wouldn't have to. Ban the ACO and FIA.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

Current P1s have tons of launch power, but also tons of grip and electronic help. In early Group C/GTP, you're talking similar power levels but no traction control, no electronic dif, no anti lag, basically no engine drivability to speak of, H-pattern boxes, 2 wheel drive, vastly more primitive shocks, floaty tire compounds, etc.

Particularly since they had to take a hand off the wheel frequently to change gear!

The current cars have a lot more downforce even in Le Mans spec though, compared to Group C etc.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/743559539069444096

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

lol ACO just pulled the rug out from under the IMSA teams and told em they can't even run their DPi engines at lemans. Basically have to buy a whole new car to run the 24, after years of saying they wouldn't have to. Ban the ACO and FIA.

Did they even have any IMSA P teams there? If they didn't have any then it's pointless, but yeah I guess if you want to kill off your P2 bracket, that's the way to do it. None of the IMSA teams are going to buy new cars for 1 race if they have no plans of running full time in the WEC.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Yup, this is exactly what I mean. Just because a car is faster doesn't make it scarier or harder to drive.

GTP and Group C cars were absolute beasts, wild loving animals. They bit hard, often and with deadly effect.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

TORC is on FS2 right now. Arie Jr. Is driving in it.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Are we likely to get rain during the race or is it going to clear up?

I always love the races where we get rain during it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man, I wanted Ford to win, but not like this. Hope ACO fixes their BoP before Saturday, or all those turbos blow :colbert:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

freeranger posted:

Are we likely to get rain during the race or is it going to clear up?

I always love the races where we get rain during it.

Yes, it's extremely likely to rain during the race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

drgitlin posted:

:getin:

Mixed weather, the best weather.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

drgitlin posted:

Hell yes! :flashfap:

Hopefully it's not during the couple of hours I will miss.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Man, I wanted Ford to win, but not like this. Hope ACO fixes their BoP before Saturday, or all those turbos blow :colbert:

I assume they can't, otherwise Ford would not have been so stupid as to show their hand.

That said, don't worry there's no way the GTs are making the end at full speed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dunno, you really only get one shot to game the BoP with a brand new car like this, and I'm sure this has been part of Mike Hull's strategy from the day they first talked to Ford. Kinda proud of em for nailing it.

Now they just have to keep one running until the end...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Did they even have any IMSA P teams there? If they didn't have any then it's pointless, but yeah I guess if you want to kill off your P2 bracket, that's the way to do it. None of the IMSA teams are going to buy new cars for 1 race if they have no plans of running full time in the WEC.

ESM run in some of the IMSA rounds, Schank came over for this year's Le Mans and rumor had the current DP Visit Florida team visiting this year in advance of running next year. As well, it's a major slap against any of the manufacturers who wanted to run P2s in IMSA and try to jump over to Le Mans with them (Mazda, Cadillac, potentially Bentley or others) because while they could run the same chassis, it wouldn't be with their bodywork or engine.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's even worse because IMSA is an ACO customer. They pay for licensing rights for rules and such nonsense and now get told to gently caress off.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
It was fairly obvious this was coming once IMSA announced all the alterations they were making to the formula (which they originally proposed to the ACO), at least it spares us any more bitching about BoP between P2s and DP(i)s.

Besides, as long as the Detroit round exists no-one is going to be running the same physical car in both IMSA and Le Mans anyway. They'll just rent a stock P2 from their DPi chassis provider like Shank did this year.

Edit: Showed their hands too early

quote:

The Ferrari 488 GTE has been handed a 15kg weight increase, with the Ford GT given 10kgs of additional weight and a slight reduction in boost pressures.

Both the Corvette C7.R and Aston Martin Vantage GTE, meanwhile, have been given a 0.2mm increase in air restrictor.

No changes have been made to the Porsche 911 RSR.

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 17, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That looks pretty fair to me, should make for a more even and interesting race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Yep ACO couldn't have the GTLM class like that unless you want to burn a few more bridges with GM and piss a lot of people off. I'd have to say it's the BoP is better though Ford and Ferrari should've been smarter to not show their cards in practice and qualifying.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I don't get BoP. Just make it a spec series if you're so worried about equalized performance (this is not a serious suggestion, please don't lynch me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
BoP is for pussies and bitches that can't handle getting stomped on

• Locked thread