Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

Wow, a country slightly larger than the city of Dallas manages to pay its bills. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

He would certainly continue loving Bighead over for as long as he had money, it's just that his business manager got to him first.

Oh absolutely. That's why I'm glad that's not how it played out. Erlich is still a dick, but at least I'm not gonna actively dislike him for basically stealing a child's money.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Wow, a country slightly larger than the city of Dallas manages to pay its bills. Amazing.

Storing piles of stolen Nazi gold tends to help your financial situation.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Tabs vs. Spaces was way better than whatever the hell is going on right now in this thread.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ahahahhahahhaha

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Binary Logic posted:

What I don't understand is why viewers like him at all.

Vicarious wish fulfillment fantasy. Everyone wants to get rich for doing nothing and being an idiot.

Think of how popular those old "American Dream" threads were about that guy who somehow got shifted around in his company until he had no actual job but they continued paying him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rexides posted:

Tabs vs. Spaces was way better than whatever the hell is going on right now in this thread.

I still maintain that tabs vs. spaces was actually good. :colbert:

Also, I don't think Bighead actually gives a poo poo about losing his money. It was always about the cannon balls, always.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Last Chance posted:

You forgot the part about how Switzerland doesn't have any of those lazy Urban Youth, driving around whilst listening to (c)rap music and shooting all the welfare money

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

waitwhatno posted:

Also, I don't think Bighead actually gives a poo poo about losing his money. It was always about the cannon balls, always.

Tabs vs. spaces is very much a real debate in the programming world, I'm super glad they included it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gently caress yes this is the best.

Binary Logic posted:

I hate Bighead. He's an idiot whose major achievement at tech corporation Hooli was a big potato gun...that he broke..
He bought a big loving boat just because he thought it was cool. He overspent on a house with money he didn't earn. While Erlich did waste money on a party, Bighead wasted money to move an in-ground pool a few feet, and then move it back to where it had been in the first place.

You just described a lot of the reasons why I like Bighead.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

That's what I think, he seems as happy as he was when he was a millionaire. As long as he has a big gulp in his hand I don't think anything will affect him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still think that potato gun's going to spur the idea for some low-cost micro-satellite launching system. The Hooli Spudalite System, and they'll be forced to pay Bighead royalties.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, what's great about Bighead is that rich or poor, he's the same. There is no pretension or entitlement there, he just does what sounds good at the time with the money and now that he doesn't have it he's fine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It also seemed like in season 1 they were potentially positioning him to be a petty dick who wanted revenge on his friends for pushing him out. But nope he just swung by the 7-11, got a refill, and moved on.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I like Bighead because a head honcho at Google X got in a huff about all the zany stuff like the potato gun in a meeting with the writers. The guy then tried to storm off but struggled because he was wearing rollerblades.

The writers decided it was too ridiculous to use in the show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hand Row posted:

I like Bighead because a head honcho at Google X got in a huff about all the zany stuff like the potato gun in a meeting with the writers. The guy then tried to storm off but struggled because he was wearing rollerblades.

The writers decided it was too ridiculous to use in the show.

Oh, word?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Long but great read

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley?mbid=social_twitter

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should just do this every page.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

kiimo posted:

Linked In is loving worthless (or 26 billion I guess). Has anybody ever gotten a job with it? ever.

It's basically vendors and sales-based retards trying to connect with people in corporations. Unless people have experiences that differ than mine. I'm not sure what Microsoft wants with it, short of integrating Word with the resume software. Do they just want the customer base?

Basically does anyone think this will help either company?

My current job as a Design Engineer (EE) and most stable first job out of college was the recruiter at the company seeing my LinkedIn and contacting me through that. So yea, at least one person.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Oh wow thank you for that new yorker link that is a must-read.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's interesting that they didn't follow up on the "Monica hates the UX" point by talking about the average user thinking it's too complicated. I figured that would be a sticking point, but so far everyone seems to love it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It just launched, so it has attracted highly-interested users who are willing to cut through any UX bullshit to reap the compression benefits. Any problems will become apparent when it has saturated the super-user group and normies start checking out the cool new thing.

Or maybe they couldn't fit it organically into the plot in the previous episode. Because it's a fictional company in a TV show and all that.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

sticklefifer posted:

It's interesting that they didn't follow up on the "Monica hates the UX" point by talking about the average user thinking it's too complicated. I figured that would be a sticking point, but so far everyone seems to love it.

watch the trailer for next week

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lady Galaga posted:

watch the trailer for next week

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I don't know why I didn't watch the trailer when I finished Ep 8.

The loving Clippy guy. I'm just going to assume it's a Jared creation/idea. And that he's called Pipey.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular posted:

Storing piles of stolen Nazi gold tends to help your financial situation.

And dont forget naking your former colonies pay repararions to YOU (not swiss but FR and UK)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Cannot recommend this article enough.

The New Yorker posted:

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,”
[...]"I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poor creative decision. :mad:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone read the New Yorker article about the Google X guy with the rollerblades?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Last Chance posted:

Anyone read the New Yorker article about the Google X guy with the rollerblades?

It was great. You should really read it. I think someone posted it a few pages back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It was great. You should really read it. I think someone posted it a few pages back.

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley?mbid=social_twitter

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Have you guys read this?

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...=social_twitter

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I read somewhere that hooli xyz is based on google x where people ride roller blades anyone have a link to that???

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

priznat posted:

I read somewhere that hooli xyz is based on google x where people ride roller blades anyone have a link to that???

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sounds like something they should have used on the show.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

priznat posted:

I would also like to read that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably would come across as just too ridiculous imo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I heard they didn't because it sounded to hacky/unrealistic. I'll dig up the link if I can find it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks!

• Locked thread