Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

In this strip, why the hell not? Give her a palace and a coach & four, too.

Although with a few alterations, she could complete her transformation to the little girl in The Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom Meets the Difficulty of Drawing Hands

So, what are the chances Nomad's daughter turns out to be really cool (by crazy Phantom family standards) and a perfect fit to be molded (in a positive way of course!) into becoming the male twin's bride?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So, what are the chances Nomad's daughter turns out to be really cool (by crazy Phantom family standards) and a perfect fit to be molded (in a positive way of course!) into becoming the male twin's bride?

More like what are the chances that it's completely irrelevant because this will all be called off or retconned so the characters can stay exactly the same age forever?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

More like what are the chances that it's completely irrelevant because this will all be called off or retconned so the characters can stay exactly the same age forever?

Fair, but boring to think about.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County finds out that you can't escape some questions.

Skippy (April 17-18, 1929)

Peanuts (June 19, 1969)

Funky Phony Nostalgiabean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 5-6, 1929)

Thimble Theater (January 3, 1930)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chimeric posted:

They found a really good time to publish this one...

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Chimeric posted:

Holy Christ.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Chimeric posted:

Well, this is the first time I've really laughed at a Bleeker strip, but I'll bet it wasn't for the reasons they wanted me to.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:drat:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Skelebert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

It takes some doing to make an intentional size gag like this look like an accidental gently caress-up, but by god, Reddick did it.

Scott, please. My heart can't take this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We just had a strip about a kid getting eaten by an alligator less than 24 hours after an actual kid got eaten by an actual alligator, and Dilbert still manages to be the most tone-deaf strip of the day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

We just had a strip about a kid getting eaten by an alligator less than 24 hours after an actual kid got eaten by an actual alligator, and Dilbert still manages to be the most tone-deaf strip of the day.
Well, in one case it was just unfortunate timing, and probably an editor not paying attention.

The other case is the tone deafness that comes from a lifetime of dedicated practice.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

:stare:

While that one's the most aggressive, it does match the general feeling over there. Because it would be awful if a single college girl went on a date with a guy she wasn't completely in looooooove with and gently caress him for being the only person in this strip (besides Tiff) willing to directly tell somebody he likes them. Dude might have hidden depths, though. He can read papers while looking at the back, for example.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Just want to point out that he calls her Mrs. Parker, but he still thinks she's married to Dr. Strange.

Sally Forth

Is that a Captain America reference? I didn't catch the last couple of movies.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

:allears:

Sometimes circumstances really do align just right.

Sometimes I'm amazed Scott Adams still has a job.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Is that a Captain America reference? I didn't catch the last couple of movies.
Yes, the Sokovia Accords are the movie Civil War version of the Super Hero Registration Act from the comics.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 24, 1951)

Barnaby (October 29, 1942)

Nancy (July 8, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 21, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 19, 1923)

Barney Google (April 6, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 3, 1936)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (July 8, 1943)

:henget:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

What would the impact be for an egg that fell that far?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

What would the impact be for an egg that fell that far?

Given that the farm in question has been depicted above the clouds, Sluggo would be dead if it wasn't a comedy strip.

e: If you ballpark the building height at 400 m (probably an underestimate considering the Empire State Building is 381 m) and the egg at a reasonable .05 kg it's hitting at a speed of roughly 319 km/hr.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 16, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Given that the farm in question has been depicted above the clouds, Sluggo would be dead if it wasn't a comedy strip.

e: If you ballpark the building height at 400 m (probably an underestimate considering the Empire State Building is 381 m) and the egg at a reasonable .05 kg it's hitting at a speed of roughly 319 km/hr.

Terminal velocity for an egg is fairly low, he's fine.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Terminal velocity for an egg is fairly low, he's fine.

I'm seeing terminal velocities in the 160 km/hr range, that's still basically taking an egg-shaped fastball to the top of the head.

e: Admittedly, yes, I don't know that that would kill him, but it'd smart.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 16, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The egg would be hard-boiled by the time it reached Sluggo due to air friction creating an immense amount of heat. His head would be caved in, and the egg would lodge itself several feet into the sidewalk after piercing the rest of his body. Nancy would have severe injuries from the shrapnel and concussion wave caused by the impact.

:viggo:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was just riffing on Mary's terrible "people only criticize to be mean" advice. I wasn't making a slam on you.
I didn't mean to imply I took it as a slam. It's all good. I've got no problems with anything you've said at all.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Phony Nostalgiabean

All these years, and he still can't resist staring at her breasts while talking to her.

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm seeing terminal velocities in the 160 km/hr range, that's still basically taking an egg-shaped fastball to the top of the head.

e: Admittedly, yes, I don't know that that would kill him, but it'd smart.
I wonder if people debated this sort of thing when that Nancy was originally published. I bet they did.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"That's how people hold glasses, right?" - Joe Giella, probably

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Santa is amused.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Green Intern posted:

The egg would be hard-boiled by the time it reached Sluggo due to air friction creating an immense amount of heat. His head would be caved in, and the egg would lodge itself several feet into the sidewalk after piercing the rest of his body. Nancy would have severe injuries from the shrapnel and concussion wave caused by the impact.

:viggo:

You forget that sluggo is a poor, starving orphan, and his ability to eat hard-boiled eggs is > 1200 HBM, at least three orders of magnitude over the baseline.

For comparison, you get a number below 0.1 HBM when assessing Smash Mouth

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"That's how people hold glasses, right?" - Joe Giella, probably

Judging by the fact that she's changed hands, (and places in space in relation to Mary, seemingly) I think someone off-panel is throwing them at her, and she's swatting them away.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Where do you even get film developed anymore?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Pluggers

Where do you even get film developed anymore?

A camera/photography store? You can still buy film. I'm sure someone will develop it for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My friend was shooting film for awhile recently just for the hell of it. There's plenty of places that will do it. He even got one of his dad's old cameras that still had a roll in it he got developed with something like 30 year old film in it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Oh my god, this is the only way to get the fat gently caress that is my cat his monthly flea medication

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Can...can someone Red and Rover this for me? This doesn't even look like an attempt at a joke.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kumaton posted:

Can...can someone Red and Rover this for me? This doesn't even look like an attempt at a joke.

The dude in pink is bragging that his department, the marketing department, is the reason the company is doing well. The company, in an ironic twist, is actually doing poorly right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what in the world is a "social justice warrior"? Is it something like a "nice guy" or a mens right activist? :gonk:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Poil posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what in the world is a "social justice warrior"? Is it something like a "nice guy" or a mens right activist? :gonk:
It's edgy internet idiots' new term of choice for anyone who actually cares about social issues and/or about not being an rear end in a top hat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's a pretty ubiquitous term for young people in general, I hear it all the time on campus from people I wouldn't really consider nerdy. Basically it's a way to easily tell a person who thinks its worse to be temporarily annoyed or inconvenienced by someone reminding their friend that "fag" and "oval office" are probably bad things to call people or that a black person might not be comfortable in a group that keeps making racist jokes, than for someone to actually do those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)