Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Grognan posted:

In TT your own wizards could counter enemy magic and it was part of the balance to keep magic from being OP for vamps. Maybe some sort of counter-spell mechanic?

The spell/dispell thing made sense in the tabletop phase because each player took turns in battle and magic was its own set of turns where both players could act and react. Buffs were far more valuable btw because they persisted until the enemy dispelled them. This bit of micromanagement is taken up by the spell durations and cooldown timers.

If I was in charge of design though and was told I had to implement the wizard war more faithfully, I'd go for a "Counterspell" bound ability for all the magic users. Use it on a unit affected by a spell to half the duration of the spell's effect, and/or slap it on your own units to give them a bit of magical resistance. That way the opponent isn't prevented from casting in the first place (which is not fun) while you're able to react to the "gently caress you" direct damage spells (which are also not fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Finally beat the Empire in my VC campaign and the Varg were nice enough to wreck my Mousillon(?) allies so I could take over all of Reikland. Now it's just a Bretonnia mop-up. Kind of disappointed that I never saw a steam tank.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The seemingly random angles of reinforcement have always kinda annoyed me with TW games. 3 armies laying siege to Karaz-a-Karak, I have a full stack and and the garrison in the city. I sally forth, somehow my second army reinforces behind the enemy army. Bah.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011

Aurubin posted:

The seemingly random angles of reinforcement have always kinda annoyed me with TW games. 3 armies laying siege to Karaz-a-Karak, I have a full stack and and the garrison in the city. I sally forth, somehow my second army reinforces behind the enemy army. Bah.

That's a bug they are working on fixing, might not be in the next patch though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Triskelli posted:

The spell/dispell thing made sense in the tabletop phase because each player took turns in battle and magic was its own set of turns where both players could act and react. Buffs were far more valuable btw because they persisted until the enemy dispelled them. This bit of micromanagement is taken up by the spell durations and cooldown timers.

If I was in charge of design though and was told I had to implement the wizard war more faithfully, I'd go for a "Counterspell" bound ability for all the magic users. Use it on a unit affected by a spell to half the duration of the spell's effect, and/or slap it on your own units to give them a bit of magical resistance. That way the opponent isn't prevented from casting in the first place (which is not fun) while you're able to react to the "gently caress you" direct damage spells (which are also not fun).

The return of the scroll caddy!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

Known bug acknowledged by the devs.

Previous games had the reinforcing armies work properly, who knows what they did this time to jack it up.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Speaking of how do get that? My Franz is 26 and I've never had the quest pop but the skill is checked.

There is a bug with some of Franz's quests that prevents the next step in the chain from initiating. You probably finished one of the steps of the quest, clicked okay, and didn't notice that the next part didn't show up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

Any single unit monster in MP is a bad idea because it will either get magic'd to death or shot to death with range. They're all rather weak to both right now.

I would grant an exception to giants and the Arachnarok for this. Giants because they have so much health (like 9k or something) that spirit leeching them takes forever and means the lords/heroes aren't taking that heat for a long time. Arachnaroks because they are still high on the health (though not as much as giants) but they have like 80 armor or something so bows are not very effective against them.

Anything else though, yeah either magic or ranged will crack em quick.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bad Moon posted:

The return of the scroll caddy!

I had this mental image of a wizard in shorts next to Franz giving commentary on the enemy wizard, "Ah yes Bjuna, that's a tough one", then I realized that's what a wizard's job is anyway so v:v:v

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now that the game's been out for a bit does it top Total War: Shogun 2? Rome and Attiila fell flat for me compared to it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Truecon420 posted:

Yes, actually this happened to me on my Empire campaign on turn 79 and i was very surprised. choas had started it's invasion meaning it has +1 corruption everywhere but archeon had not spawned. I managed to eliminate all the warriors of chaos stacks while also holding the correct provinces and in a single turn I won both the short campaign and long campaign. 50 turns later I killed Archeon.

I had Chaos invade on turn 50 it was bullshit, however my strategy of ignoring the Empire to conquer Britannia as the Empire paid off because the other factions acted as Chaff till they reached Reikland and got to meet Karl Franz and Friends on our home turf... the slog North through razed settlements was awful though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

el dingo posted:

I reckon it would be pretty unlikely to add in any new mechanics now that its actually released, much more likely that they will just fiddle with the numbers until it's passable/they get bored.

Maybe wizards can get an activated or passive AOE magic resistance aura buff. Cover your troops and/or Lord with a wizard so you can't be sniped.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

Now that the game's been out for a bit does it top Total War: Shogun 2? Rome and Attiila fell flat for me compared to it.

It's the best selling game in the TW series, and the general opinion in this thread is that it's by far the best single player.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It normally follows that every game in series X is the best selling of the series*, but yes it's pretty good. Possibly best campaign yet, barebones but functional multi.

*X-Rebirth was the best selling of the series. Seriously it means nothing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's the best selling game in the TW series, and the general opinion in this thread is that it's by far the best single player.

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Fangz posted:

You were *just saying* that the Radious morale changes double or treble the length of battles (which implies they do even more than that to the amount of time units spend slugging it out at each other, and hence the amount of damage a winning army takes). Now you're arguing they don't make a difference?

That doesn't seem terribly consistent.

It does make the battle last longer. It is about double. I am saying it makes a difference. I am not saying that you can't rout people anymore and it is a battle of attrition.

It is very consistent.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Neat, guess I'm getting it

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

Mostly wrong, except the last part which is more than correct.

Also yes, by Far.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

Sorry you're wrong.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its true, he is wrong.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

sassassin posted:

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

Ahahahahahaha

This is bad and you should feel bad for having this opinion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO it's more interesting than Shogun, probably better than Napoleon. It's a good game.

On the con side, still some balance issues but it's a new game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This game is rad as heck.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sassassin posted:

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

I appreciate your extensive list of all the reasons, you didn't miss a single one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know, it's probably the best campaign but it has enough niggling flaws that I think only time will tell. Is it great fun? Yes. But let's be objective here, it's not perfect by a long shot. Known flaws...

- Every faction suffers from the "spend half the campaign fighting your clones" shtick except maybe Dwarfs
- Army keepaway shenanigans are at an all time high
- Varg and Skaeling holy poo poo gently caress off
- Azhag's quests requirements are so absurd I just feel like writing this here
- Missile cavalry spam
- Auto-resolve lusts for the death of all interesting units

Like I said it might be the best campaign, but it's being way overly gracious to just unequivocally grant it that title at this early stage. There are flaws and they are real, even if they are just minor parts of a great system. Only on reflection will we be able to say if it's the best.

It's definitely worth a buy either way though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The game is better than the other TWs even with those flaws.

I *willingly* did two campaigns back to back and have a third planned. I haven't done that with any other game since Shogun 2 and only did a 2nd campaign there because it was co-op.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed with Chomps assessment. Did Orcs, Empire, another Orcs, then coop VC myself so far.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know, it's probably the best campaign but it has enough niggling flaws that I think only time will tell. Is it great fun? Yes. But let's be objective here, it's not perfect by a long shot. Known flaws...

- Every faction suffers from the "spend half the campaign fighting your clones" shtick except maybe Dwarfs
- Azhag's requirements are so absurd I just feel like writing this here
- Missile cavalry spam

Like I said it might be the best campaign, but it's being way overly gracious to just unequivocally grant it that title at this early stage. There are flaws and they are real, even if they are just minor parts of a great system. Only on reflection will we be able to say if it's the best.

Hey man i don't wanna come of as combatative but nobody's saying its perfect, just that right now its the best singleplayer total war there is. Its got issues, both balance wise and some mechanics that need ironing out but holy hell is it fun as heck.

I will add somethings here: i like how you complain about fighting "clones" when basically all of Rome 2 and Atilla (and all other TW games combined actually, but its particullary noticable in Atilla) was Clone-stamped units all the time with extremely minor differences between factions.

I agree with you on Azhag, its dumb as hell, and his starting units are utterly horrible, give him the doomdiver catapults and give the extra gobbo archers to grimgor and he'd be a much better start. As an aside to this, ive said it before and i'll say it again: unique items need a buff overall, some are great and truly unique (looking at mannfred and even kemmlers weapons here) while most others are even inferiour to decent blues (hello gamblers armour that beats most unique armours you can get on characters).

Interestingly most of your other points can be mitigated or fixed outright with mods; better autoresolve, better ai army recruitment, varg and skaelling nerfs etc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

The game is better than the other TWs even with those flaws.

I *willingly* did two campaigns back to back and have a third planned. I haven't done that with any other game since Shogun 2 and only did a 2nd campaign there because it was co-op.
Exactly. This is the only TW game where I've finished a campaign and immediately gone back for more rather than wait for expansions.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
This is the first TW game where I've actually finished a campaign, instead of in the previous ones when I'd get bored once I've painted the map enough that nothing is a real threat anymore.
Not only is it the only TW game where I've finished a campaign, I keep going back and starting new ones, with other races or starting lords.
Even this early the game offers a lot of varierty in the singleplayer both with campaign mechanics and how much each faction differ from eachother.
Also ran 2 Co-Op campaigns with a friend, and just now started our 3rd one, having tons of fun.

Game is great, by far the best TW to date in my opinion, I'm even eagerly looking forward to throw lots of cash on all the eventual DLC they will poo poo out for this game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hey Mazz, any idea how hard it would be to add more wargear etc to the lootable templates? I imagine there's a huge amount of potential expansion there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

- Azhag's quests requirements are so absurd I just feel like writing this here
- Missile cavalry spam

A lot of these kinda suck, but all except the first are already solved by standalone mods. The first point is definitely not the case for VC either.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't entirely disagree with the rest (poor Azhag), but I feel that is really innacurate, at least in my two campaigns. As the Empire I spent some time fighting the Secessionists, Middenheim and Marienburg, but that was pretty much done by turn 30 and the rest was dealing with the Norscans (gently caress the Norscans, holy poo poo), Chaos, Greenskins hordes, meddling in Bretonnia and eating the Vampire Counts. And as the Vampire Counts you are pretty much going to be done fighting other Vampire Counts between turn 10-20, since there aren't that many undead.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
In Theory as orcs you just fight orcs and eventually Dwarves, but that means you're ignoring how the Orc economy works, which is to raise armies to go raid the absolute poo poo out of everyone else on the map until you have more money than sense.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll admit this this is also the first time I've finished a campaign and then immediately done a second. (well maybe I did that way back in the day with my first Total War game, Rome, but that's special).

However I would have done at least two Shogun 2 campaigns, but the second campaign was substituted with "play multiplayer". Here that is, ah... less appealing as an alternative. So that particular metric is both a point for and strike against TTW at the same time if comparing it to Shogun 2.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to be non hostile with the dwarves and empire as chaos? I'm thinking of playing the magnificent Sigvald who heroically purges the continent of all the filth such as norscan, orcs and vampires, and then saves the realm from the vicious bird monster.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zudgemud posted:

Is it possible to be non hostile with the dwarves and empire as chaos? I'm thinking of playing the magnificent Sigvald who heroically purges the continent of all the filth such as norscan, orcs and vampires.

It's only possible in that sense that you can avoid bringing the fight to them. They will remain hostile with you no matter what. Also it will be impossible to fulfill your campaign objectives if that matters.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

It's only possible in that sense that you can avoid bringing the fight to them. They will remain hostile with you no matter what. Also it will be impossible to fulfill your campaign objectives if that matters.

I don't care about the campaign objectives but it is too bad one can't be on peaceful terms with the humans/dwarves, was hoping that would be possible as the norscan tribes always come beging for peace when I genocide them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thinking of starting another Dwarf campaign with Ungrim and downloading that Slayer buff on the workshop. Anyone running that? I want so much for Slayers to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This game is by far the best total war game I've ever played and I will unironically fight anyone who says differently

Get it now it'll treat you and your gamerhole right, the way you deserve

• Locked thread