Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, did anyone else think that the bottom half of the Amphibian map looks a lot like Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That crappy strategy guide claims you get stat points you don't. The back of head bonuses in this chapter are all a few points to one stat. This guide has mostly correct tables http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588313-evo-search-for-eden/faqs/17062 with actual numbers.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
One reason for no spiders, though it may be giving Evolution Via Overconsumption too much credit: Amphibians first appeared in the Cambrian period [540-490MYa] while the first recognizable spiders were in the Devonian period [~420-360MYa].

Still, neat seeing this one, never got around to it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

One reason for no spiders, though it may be giving Evolution Via Overconsumption too much credit: Amphibians first appeared in the Cambrian period [540-490MYa] while the first recognizable spiders were in the Devonian period [~420-360MYa].

Still, neat seeing this one, never got around to it.

While we're on the subject, bees have only been around since the early Cretaceous, so ~100 million years ago.

The Great Bee/Amphibian Wars in this game are largely allegorical.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

One thing you haven't shown off that's kinda useful: If you dash and hit A you do a charge attack based on your strength stat. It's kinda nice since strength usually goes up on the parts that make you go faster.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
The dash was something I usually leaned pretty heavily on, back in the day. Biting is faster and more flexible, but ramming attacks can often out damage them due to most body parts boosting your Strength in addition to their primary focus(I believe Strength also determines stomp damage, but it's been ages). I'll also note that, while biting often propels you forward into contact damage land, ramming knocks your victims back a bit, which is quite handy in some situations.

Oh, and horns don't boost charging damage, they're their own thing.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

dis astranagant posted:

That crappy strategy guide claims you get stat points you don't. The back of head bonuses in this chapter are all a few points to one stat. This guide has mostly correct tables http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588313-evo-search-for-eden/faqs/17062 with actual numbers.
...Welp! It's hardly the first time guides have lied to gamers. :v: It appears accurate otherwise, but it's good to have some actual numbers.

Unoriginal One posted:

The dash was something I usually leaned pretty heavily on, back in the day. Biting is faster and more flexible, but ramming attacks can often out damage them due to most body parts boosting your Strength in addition to their primary focus(I believe Strength also determines stomp damage, but it's been ages). I'll also note that, while biting often propels you forward into contact damage land, ramming knocks your victims back a bit, which is quite handy in some situations.

Oh, and horns don't boost charging damage, they're their own thing.
I have mentioned dash attacks and will probably demonstrate some next video, but that last bit is news to me. :psyduck:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have mentioned dash attacks and will probably demonstrate some next video, but that last bit is news to me. :psyduck:

Dash attacks are when you hit A while dashing, Horn attacks are when you just dash into stuff with no button press.

Well, best as I can recall, at least; it's been quite a long time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I did a stream of this game about a year ago with a biologist associate of mine. Turns out I can still send him into frothing rages by declaring the Fish Age lasted two billion years.

Edit: To give this post a bit more content, it turns out EVO is actually a sequel to a PC-98 game called 46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinka Ron. I know pretty much nothing of it except that apparently a possible ending involves you evolving into spacefaring elves or something.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 6, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ironslave posted:

I did a stream of this game about a year ago with a biologist associate of mine. Turns out I can still send him into frothing rages by declaring the Fish Age lasted two billion years.

Edit: To give this post a bit more content, it turns out EVO is actually a sequel to a PC-98 game called 46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinka Ron. I know pretty much nothing of it except that apparently a possible ending involves you evolving into spacefaring elves or something.

I always liked how the scientific name for elves in Shadowrun is "homo sapiens nobilis".

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Ironslave posted:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/46okunen/46okunen.htm
The prequel to this game becomes batshit insane towards the end.

quote:

A brief final chapter takes place in a bleak future ravaged by climate change, in which you, the leader of a space-faring elf civilization, must battle the massive winged spider Lucifer, newly emerged from the moon.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

all right!!!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

U.T. Raptor posted:

you, the leader of a space-faring elf civilization, must battle the massive winged spider Lucifer, newly emerged from the moon.

Oh gently caress, that homeless guy screaming at me last week was right!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
how did i miss this for so long you should've told me

I love this game so much. It's absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately the music starts to get repetitive towards the latter half of the game. There's a number of different ways this can go, and there's lots of interesting little secrets.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
You went from basically wingless Ridley to a sloth, but with less claws. Those transitions are always painful.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Aithon posted:

You went from basically wingless Ridley to a sloth, but with less claws. Those transitions are always painful.

The general reaction I've seen from people going in blind at that point, especially if they're playing it, is summed up best by:

"... gee, thanks, Gaia."

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:ducksiren: Episode 03: The Age of Grinding :ducksiren:

Additions

Turns out there's some logic behind Prime Frog. :psyduck: Thanks, LizWiz.

Leavemywife says that you guys notice things, so see if you can find a discrepancy with my EVO points this chapter. (DoubleNegative already knows what it is.)

Also, a minor technical hiccup made me learn how to do simple subtitles. :confuoot:

While I remember, here's that maze map.

Feinne posted:

The things that look like nautili are ammonites. I'm pretty sure the things in the stage before the tyrannosaurs are supposed to be allosaurs or something?

Pretty sure the 'Nautilon body' is supposed to be a turtle shell evoking the Archelon, a giant sea turtle contemporary with the dinosaurs.

LupusAter posted:

Allosaurus means "other lizard" when translated, while Omosaurus means "same lizard". Could be a pun.

Evolution Chart

The jaws below Tyrasaurus all give +3 Agility (and apparently no jump bonus according to this guy, despite what this chart says), but the strongest is +7 to biting... compared to the Tyrasaurus' +19.

Oh, and the Nautilon's body is a -5 to agility, perfectly countered by the dinosaur's best dorsal fin and tail.

Speaking of agility... The bird has a set agility while walking. Evolution only affects their flight speed.

New Music

24. Door to Dina Continent

The first instance of this chapter’s leit-motif. Both of the following songs are more of the same.

25. Dinosaur Domain

All the grinding cut from this update sours me on this trumpeting tune.

26. Scaling Mt. Brave

Crank up the tempo, let’s go, climb climb climb

27. Peaceful Space

A lovely piece, perfect for its environment. Very mellow.

28. Extinction

EVO’s ‘ARMAGEDDON’.

30. A Glimpse into the Future

The tune for any non-standard endings.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 14, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Long necks and 2 legs both make the first boss of this age way harder than it needs to be since you can't hit the baby frogs unless they're in the air.

As for not looking anything like any real dinosaur, you had the classic ceratopsian frill but tyrannosaur jaws and the body of some turtle-like plesiosaur. But the mohawk and the spike tail I don't get.

The elephant has more health than the dragon but sucks balls in every other way. Really all you need from now on is enough green crystals to dragon all the bosses.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 11, 2016

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Whenever you have an awkward time biting something, Dashing attacks are almost always the answer. Birds can even do them while flying!

Anyways, if memory serves the dragon's horn isn't just for show and has quite a bit of power behind it. I can't recall if it breaks or not, but seeing as you can only use the form for a limited time you may as well go crazy with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unoriginal One posted:

Whenever you have an awkward time biting something, Dashing attacks are almost always the answer. Birds can even do them while flying!

Anyways, if memory serves the dragon's horn isn't just for show and has quite a bit of power behind it. I can't recall if it breaks or not, but seeing as you can only use the form for a limited time you may as well go crazy with it.

The horn is ok but its bite is insane. It does 30 damage when nothing else tops 25.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The things that look like nautili are ammonites. I'm pretty sure the things in the stage before the tyrannosaurs are supposed to be allosaurs or something?

Pretty sure the 'Nautilon body' is supposed to be a turtle shell evoking the Archelon, a giant sea turtle contemporary with the dinosaurs.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Why are the videos hidden? I like watching videos during lunch at work. :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I don't know why the gargoyle even exists when the dragon outclasses it in literally every way (except for being slightly bigger).

Feinne posted:

I always assumed they were Allosaurus, playing their classic role of "poor man's T-rex". I have no idea where they got "Omosaurus" though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't know why the gargoyle even exists when the dragon outclasses it in literally every way (except for being slightly bigger).

I don't why the rest of evolution exists when the dragon or even a maxed bird outclasses it in literally every way.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I always assumed they were Allosaurus, playing their classic role of "poor man's T-rex". I have no idea where they got "Omosaurus" though.

It's legit like dinosaurs were a loving licensed sports team they had to fake the names of or something and it's almost better than accuracy.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I followed the path to the T-rex party with the gatecrashing meteors first when I played, so I never had a chance to climb Mt Brave Bird and never saw any of the flightlocked stuff, so becoming a dragon and flying into space was something new to me. :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Yapping Eevee posted:

The Age of Grinding
:v: Wait'll you get to the Orokin Age and try to get the Kubrow Jaws and Conculyst Body

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Allosaurus means "other lizard" when translated, while Omosaurus means "same lizard". Could be a pun.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I know you've said that the horns suck, but I'd kinda like to see what some of these look like when fully evolved, with all the bells and whistles.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Horns aren't all bad -- they're disposable, fragile weapons that, out-prioritize all other attacks that aren't a projectile, and have the side-effect of healing you on-equip and when they break, so they can make for an efficient and cheap method of healing.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
The problem with Horns is that they're really expensive for what their intended use is.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I remember when I figured out that getting cheap horns was a cheap heal and feeling really smart and meta-gamey about it. :downs: Good times, good times.

If Omosaurus is supposed to be a pun, that's pretty good. I always assumed it was bad translation.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Gaze upon yourself and despair, for you are a monster indeed.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

Gaze upon yourself and despair, for you are a monster indeed.

I tried to make sense of that thing for about 5 minutes.

I failed.

The dashing faces in this game remind me of Gonterman.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

rotoscoped posted:

I failed.

I think you mostly succeeded except for the neck. Your interpretation has a much more plausible neck whereas the game version has a neck that sticks straight up through the shell and also behind/beside the spikes or sail or whatever the purple is.

I think it should be noted that with such short legs and such a high center of gravity, that beast would have some real trouble staying upright even while still.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Fourth update has been recorded, but commentary probably won't be until tomorrow, with the update posted the day after.

Feinne posted:

LupusAter posted:

These quotes are going in the update post. Although I'm not sure I'm willing to believe that's a deliberate pun when the game gave us the 'Segosaurus'.

SystemLogoff posted:

Why are the videos hidden? I like watching videos during lunch at work. :v:
First off, how do you not have something better to do with your valuable lunchtime than watch this LP? :psyduck:

Secondly, the answer is basically "because all the other videos on my channel have been" and "because it lets me see how many goons and SA lurkers have watched, rather than letting all the random Youtube schmucks look too".

Fish Noise posted:

:v: Wait'll you get to the Orokin Age and try to get the Kubrow Jaws and Conculyst Body
Oh you. :allears:

azren posted:

I know you've said that the horns suck, but I'd kinda like to see what some of these look like when fully evolved, with all the bells and whistles.
All they're ever missing are the Dual Horns, which I think are placed like a rhino's? I might evolve them later for you, if I have the EVO P. to spare.

rotoscoped posted:

I failed.

:cripes: Well, I guess I can use that second post now. (Thanks for the art!)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dual horns are triceratops horns minus the nose horn. They look really funky with some of the mammal back of head parts.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:ducksiren: Episode 04: Kicking Back in the Ice Age :ducksiren:

Additions

Look at this mess.

Evolution Chart

New Music

29. Decline of Evolution

Just the one new track, and it’s a variant on those from last update.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The change to a mammal is the only one that doesn't retain the size of your previous form. The ones before that (fish -> amphibian -> reptile -> bird) all do, and I think the bird keeps the reptile's neck length. Regardless of what kind of body you have upon changing to mammal, you will be small with a short neck afterwards. Speaking of size retention, the elephant is the only other red crystal form (aside from the ray) that's affected by your size when you eat the crystal. The small elephant is even more useless, as it doesn't even have the unique factors of the game's highest HP and strength.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Bird-man maze is a lot easier if you yourself are a bird when you go through it. I think staying a bird is the easiest way to beat the game altogether, since you can effectively skip most levels and bypass a few annoying gimmicks, though some of the boss fights are tougher without kicking. On a related note, I don't really see anything that's supposed to be bad about the ending where you join the bird-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

I had a hell of a time fighting the yetis the first time I played this, especially because most of the FAQs talk about doing pixel-perfect bites with the long neck to try and stunlock them.

Fortunately, I wised up and just kicked the crap out of them, as is right and good.

• Locked thread