Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Swiftkey, is there any way to get the Voice button as a primary button instead of a secondary button?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Taffer posted:

When will the world finally release their death grip on texting as a primary form of communication

At least in the USA, SMS "just works" anywhere you can get even the shittiest cell signal. Getting a decent enough internet connection to send an message over IP is not always possible. I can also SMS basically anyone with a cell phone without having them install an app.

It's like email, it has tons of faults, but it works too well to change.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Taffer posted:

When will the world finally release their death grip on texting as a primary form of communication

When there's some other text message service that's insalled on literally all working phones.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fishmech posted:

When there's some other text message service that's insalled on literally all working phones.

and already has an icon on the homescreen, and just works without having to sign up or sign in to anything.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

As we talk on an Internet forum...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agoat posted:

As we talk on an Internet forum...

I prefer these stupid emoticons to emoji, I don't know what the appeal to having AI in my text messaging app does for me, and why Google is spending millions on that poo poo instead of just making a SINGLE, USABLE messaging app that they don't immediately abandon.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I prefer these stupid emoticons to emoji, I don't know what the appeal to having AI in my text messaging app does for me, and why Google is spending millions on that poo poo instead of just making a SINGLE, USABLE messaging app that they don't immediately abandon.
The messages SMS app google put out works great, I've been using it since it came out and I haven't found any faults with it.

Allo looks really cool and I will try it out, the hardest part is getting friends to try new apps. Most of my friends and all of my family just use facebook messenger, it's really well so it'll be hard to get them to switch.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Question about data, if I constantly have my data on, and I return home where I am connected to WiFi, will my phone automatically switch from using data to WiFi?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

If they give it SMS support it will be a direct upgrade to any other app. An actual all in one messenger with extra features would be great. WhatsApp and the others only work if everyone gets the app, making it useless for me.

Edit: Google's SMS app on the play store is good.

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Question about data, if I constantly have my data on, and I return home where I am connected to WiFi, will my phone automatically switch from using data to WiFi?

Yes.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Question re: Google Play Music gifting: If I gift a subscription to someone, do they need to manually cancel it themselves when the time comes so it won't rollover and charge them? I assume this won't be an issue, since the initial charge will be on my card and not theirs.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Agoat posted:

If they give it SMS support it will be a direct upgrade to any other app. An actual all in one messenger with extra features would be great. WhatsApp and the others only work if everyone gets the app, making it useless for me.

Edit: Google's SMS app on the play store is good.

If Allo does SMS, I'll probably switch to it immediately because the handful of people I talk to via Hangout messages would also gladly switch. I just want one app that handles both, which is why I use Hangouts. If Google stands behind Allo more than they did Hangouts (fat loving chance, I know), then I'll use it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Luchadork posted:

Question re: Google Play Music gifting: If I gift a subscription to someone, do they need to manually cancel it themselves when the time comes so it won't rollover and charge them? I assume this won't be an issue, since the initial charge will be on my card and not theirs.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that if you cancel your subscription, you get the remainder of the service you already paid for. So if you signed up for the 3 months for $.99 offer, and then cancelled right away, you would still have GPM access for all three months.

Hope this helps and isn't obvious or irrelevant.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

If Allo does SMS, I'll probably switch to it immediately because the handful of people I talk to via Hangout messages would also gladly switch. I just want one app that handles both, which is why I use Hangouts. If Google stands behind Allo more than they did Hangouts (fat loving chance, I know), then I'll use it.

I had no idea Hangouts did SMS. I just want an all-in-one app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Agoat posted:

I had no idea Hangouts did SMS. I just want an all-in-one app.

You found out just in time to watch them remove it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Pretty sure FB Messenger does SMS now or will soon if that's what you're after

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Geektox posted:

It started supporting sms for me about 2 days ago. It's a great app.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is there a way to share a PC's internet connection to an android phone over USB? I'm thinking specifically for situations where you have to use a public wi-fi hotspot that costs money but you need to use it on your PC for work-related reasons, but still want to check whatsapp and the like (without having to pay twice).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

It started supporting sms for me about 2 days ago. It's a great app.

textra supremacy for me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mikl posted:

Is there a way to share a PC's internet connection to an android phone over USB? I'm thinking specifically for situations where you have to use a public wi-fi hotspot that costs money but you need to use it on your PC for work-related reasons, but still want to check whatsapp and the like (without having to pay twice).

This should work on recent devices: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/73168/how-to-use-pcs-internet-on-android-phone-through-usb-cable

You may need to flash a custom ROM if your current phone software doesn't support it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Geektox posted:

For now. It used to do SMS, then they removed it. Now it's back, but for how long...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Android apps: now it's back, but for how long?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

fishmech posted:

This should work on recent devices: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/73168/how-to-use-pcs-internet-on-android-phone-through-usb-cable

You may need to flash a custom ROM if your current phone software doesn't support it.

Thanks! :)

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

vyst posted:

textra supremacy for me

Had an issue with SMS in hangouts about a year ago. Switched to Textra and never looked back. Very slick app.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fireside Nut posted:

Had an issue with SMS in hangouts about a year ago. Switched to Textra and never looked back. Very slick app.

Textra works just perfectly well and the app is pretty enough and customizable enough to be everything I want in an SMS app. Of course, I really just want iMessage on Android. End-to-end encryption, wide range of users, seemless transition. It's dumb that a single app is the main reason I slightly regretted switching to Android and also that of all the things Apple puts on their phones, THAT is the best. And it's not even that great it's just no frills. :rolleyes:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Textra works just perfectly well and the app is pretty enough and customizable enough to be everything I want in an SMS app. Of course, I really just want iMessage on Android. End-to-end encryption, wide range of users, seemless transition. It's dumb that a single app is the main reason I slightly regretted switching to Android and also that of all the things Apple puts on their phones, THAT is the best. And it's not even that great it's just no frills. :rolleyes:

but with Allo we can make our texts BIGGER

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

but with Allo we can make our texts BIGGER

That's coming to iMessage with iOS 10.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm looking for a good star gazing app so I can show my nephews the night sky. The problem is, the tablet I have (Archos 97 Carbon) is old, kinda crap, and doesn't have GPS or a compass. Is there a good star chart app that will let me manually enter my coordinates and direction (or calibrate via the moon based on location and time/date)?

Thinking about it, I could fake the GPS with a GPS spoofer app.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Does Sky Map not run on it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If anyone is looking for a launcher. Nova Launcher Prime is on sale right now at the android store for $1.

Also Poweramp Full Version is $1 currently.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

vyst posted:

If anyone is looking for a launcher. Nova Launcher Prime is on sale right now at the android store for $1.

Also Poweramp Full Version is $1 currently.

Thank you! 50p in the UK so I bought it. Been using it for a while, and like it so should support it with my survey money.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rusty! posted:

Does Sky Map not run on it?

Has anyone updated this?
There are like 100 versions of this in the play store since it was open source. I just want an updated one that doesn't look like garbage.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
That's the 'original' one, and they started updating it again recently.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Wow, I'm surprised development on that app was resurrected after being dead for 4 years or so.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This only gives me hope for the big update to Launcher Pro that's been in the works since 2011.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

XIII posted:

This only gives me hope for the big update to Launcher Pro that's been in the works since 2011.

ADW Launcher 2.0 is in Beta...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/5-years-later-adw-launcher-2-0-has-been-released-no-you-are-not-dreaming-and-its-insane/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice. I love that the first thing it tells you is that it will serve you ads so you know to delete it immediately.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am using Podcast Addict, and having an annoying problem.

When I press the button on my headphones to pause/unpause my current podcast, sometimes it rewinds at the same time as unpausing it. It's really annoying, anyone know of a fix, or if I have screwed it up somehow?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That sounds like a feature you turned on by mistake. I know BeyondPod has something similar where (most of the time) it will back up some number of seconds when you unpause, just so you don't miss anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, yeah, I saw that and had to do a double take.