Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a couple of extra things you can do like picking up the lock pick and opening the drawer so it's open when you go back to the 'present'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neat little article about RE7 and its gameplay

http://www.vg247.com/2016/06/16/resident-evil-7-will-be-first-person-features-no-quick-time-events/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No quick time events in a first person VR game? I'll believe it when I see it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm wishing they had just called this Resident Evil VR or something and made a proper sequel as 7. Sounds like something I might play and enjoy, there is basically zero chance a lot of the staples I look for in RE are gonna be there though.

Also, that demo is just not scary. I enjoyed it enough but it was incredibly cliche. Don't think there was a moment where I ever really felt unnervedI hope they can do better than mannequins and old baby dolls in the final game because c'mon.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Well, that double confirms I'll basically be waiting on the rafters for it to go on flash sale on PSN months after release before I consider it. I just don't like first person horror at all.

Guess I'll twiddle my thumbs waiting for REmake 2 news.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

LadyPictureShow posted:

File 2 sucked because the US version removed spoken dialogue for the speak/comment/whatever button. They'd only have lines when doing the basic commands
That was one of my favorite things to do in the first game, mash that button to hear the random comments.

But man, I played the Hell out of those games.

Was there ever an explanation as to why those voice lines got cut? I've always been curious about that.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First person RE?

No thank you, that's a terrible idea.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Welcome to the Real Survival Horror.
http://i.imgur.com/jWC2LUD.webm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I'm wishing they had just called this Resident Evil VR or something and made a proper sequel as 7. Sounds like something I might play and enjoy, there is basically zero chance a lot of the staples I look for in RE are gonna be there though.

Also, that demo is just not scary. I enjoyed it enough but it was incredibly cliche. Don't think there was a moment where I ever really felt unnervedI hope they can do better than mannequins and old baby dolls in the final game because c'mon.

It amusing how similar this sounds to stuff I said about RE 4 back in the day, and that turned out to one of the best games of all time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fereydun posted:

Aunt Rhody ain't gonna like this one bit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have faith in RE7 being worth playing at least because I don't think I've ever played an RE game I didn't enjoy on some level

The problem is that I guess you need VR to get the most out of it and I'm still not really sold on it at all

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The problem is that I guess you need VR to get the most out of it and I'm still not really sold on it at all

I don't know about that, see as the teaser demo is on PSN now and it is totally playable and effective without VR (headphones help in my experience, though). VR is kinda just another gimmicky peripheral at this point, but it's a very expensive and profitable one, so it's not that surprising that Capcom wants some of that growing market.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't play the game myself because I don't own a PS4 and probably won't for a while (apparently they're making a better version? why even bother getting one now), but from what I watched of the demo it actually looked pretty cool I thought. It's not very Resident Evil, but considering the definition of Resident Evil changes with every game, I can't say it's really a bad thing. The apparent inclusion of ghosts and the like is also not really a very big stretch considering what passes for a zombie these days.

It might've been a mistake to say where exactly in the timeline this takes place though, because a single guy in a cabin is small potatoes after what we know has already happened. I kinda hope they just completely ignore all that stuff, really.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Len posted:

Outbreak would work a lot better with the online of today. It's really kind of sad they haven't tried to bring it back.

Yeah, that game was definitely ahead of its time. It also wasn't unfun to play! I enjoyed it for what it was worth.

They had a few good nostalgia levels, like a frozen version of the RE2 underground laboratory that was all frozen-over because some guy turned on the AC to freeze all the monsters, and the boss fight was you fighting a G-virus spawn by slamming the train-elevator into it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there a mod or something for the PC versions of REmake that unlocks all of the costumes without having to beat the game? I don't really replay games so I'd like to have my choice of costume the first time through without having to beat the game x-times to get everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

It amusing how similar this sounds to stuff I said about RE 4 back in the day, and that turned out to one of the best games of all time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its doomed to be a bad game, but as you can probably tell from my posting I'm kind of a mercs/raid mode junky and I don't see how this game could pull anything like that off. I'm also kind of attached to that tight third person view at this point.

Might have helped if they had made it feel like something from the resident evil series in some capacity. Right now it just seems like some completely random horror thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Resident Evil series has been all around the map in terms of gameplay and tone (hell, it covered nearly the whole map in the last game alone, to its detriment), so taking a quick jaunt into Wannabe P.T.-ville is pretty in-character.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Fereydun posted:

I knew that dummy finger was good for something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Speaking of, should I shell the extra two quarters for the complete version or is that a bad idea if I just wanted mostly mercenaries.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As long as they don't go off the rails for Remake 2, they can do whatever the gently caress they want with 7 for all I care.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder what the quality of remake 2 will be like. REmake 1 was made by Capcom way back when they were actually still a good publisher.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
REmake2 will actually be something like a 'REboot' and will be a time paradox where the future characters are pulled back in time to relive the events of their past.

Finally, everyone will know about that photo of Rebecca in Wesker's desk, and Jake will suplex Nemesis.

Chris will punch about 9 different cars, several of which will explode, and wrestle with a giant worm.

All the while, Josh will be telling everyone about that nice bonus they'll get themselves.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The whole series seemed to drop attempts at outright "horror" as soon as RE2 came out and if you ask me that was honestly for the better. Sure you've got monsters and Mr X and blood but even at the time none of it ever felt that scary and I hope they keep the more action-y feel of 2 when compared to 1. I don't mind survival horror but I never really thought the gameplay, though I actually don't mean the tank controls, of the original format really meshed well with the more careful gameplay the genre needs. RE2 had plenty of ammo to go around, even if you didn't know exactly what to do, and while that might have made it a lot less scary I always got more frustrated than scared with both RE1 and REmake so it was welcome being able to shoot zombies with my pistol instead of trying to trick the game into letting me run past them. RE7 trying to be something I don't think the series never was doesn't make me completely uninterested but even as bad as RE6 was I think I'd have a lot more fun in that than a first person horror game.

Barry's levels in Revelations 2 actually struck a good balance to me. I don't necessarily think that REmake 2 needs stealth but those levels maintained some good tension while still giving you the tools to have fun shooting zombies/goo monsters if you got caught or wanted to.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kibayasu posted:

The whole series seemed to drop attempts at outright "horror" as soon as RE2 came out and if you ask me that was honestly for the better. Sure you've got monsters and Mr X and blood but even at the time none of it ever felt that scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTKIqfmiWo

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So did we ever get an actual look at the gameplay from The Kitchen back in '15? I tried looking but only found videos of people wearing VR headsets.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Clearly RE has always been horror, it just doesn't translate well outside Japan. It's really terrifying in Japan though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Can we all just come together and thank god that they didn't just call this Resident Evil?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Can we all just come together and thank god that they didn't just call this Resident Evil?

I would rather Residen7 Evil or Resident EVIIL or something.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

widespread posted:

I would rather Residen7 Evil or Resident EVIIL or something.

7 Resident Evil

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That logo is pretty genius though, and I like their weird attempt at bridging the divide between the game's name in both America and Japan. Personally I always preferred Biohazard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

The whole series seemed to drop attempts at outright "horror" as soon as RE2 came out and if you ask me that was honestly for the better. Sure you've got monsters and Mr X and blood but even at the time none of it ever felt that scary and I hope they keep the more action-y feel of 2 when compared to 1. I don't mind survival horror but I never really thought the gameplay, though I actually don't mean the tank controls, of the original format really meshed well with the more careful gameplay the genre needs. RE2 had plenty of ammo to go around, even if you didn't know exactly what to do, and while that might have made it a lot less scary I always got more frustrated than scared with both RE1 and REmake so it was welcome being able to shoot zombies with my pistol instead of trying to trick the game into letting me run past them. RE7 trying to be something I don't think the series never was doesn't make me completely uninterested but even as bad as RE6 was I think I'd have a lot more fun in that than a first person horror game.

Barry's levels in Revelations 2 actually struck a good balance to me. I don't necessarily think that REmake 2 needs stealth but those levels maintained some good tension while still giving you the tools to have fun shooting zombies/goo monsters if you got caught or wanted to.

To me RE is horror on systemic level. It's mostly scary because of its design and not so much in its themes. Even looking back at RE 1 almost nothing was really that spooky. Hunters were one of the scariest things in the game. They are just basically goofy lizard gorillas, that could have been an enemy in any other game at the time that you wouldn't have thought twice about. However they were scary as gently caress because of the way the game handled them.

I'd say if there is one running theme between the successful attempts at RE it's claustrophobic oppressive gameplay. Which is why RE4 succeeded despite being really different from the first 3. Even with all of the actiony stuff it had this feeling of enemies always closing in on you.

The only thing that really creeped me out in the series thematically was Lisa Trevor back when REmake came out on GameCube. She was super unsettling.

From what little I know of RE 7 it seems to be taking a more superficial stab at horror. No idea what the final game will be like though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Policenaut posted:

That logo is pretty genius though, and I like their weird attempt at bridging the divide between the game's name in both America and Japan. Personally I always preferred Biohazard.
Should have gone with Bio Evil or Resident Hazard.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Plan Z posted:

7 Resident Evil

The 7th Evil Resident.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
7resident (president) evil

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

HnK416 posted:

So did we ever get an actual look at the gameplay from The Kitchen back in '15? I tried looking but only found videos of people wearing VR headsets.

That's about all you're going to find. Most of the stuff alongside "The Kitchen" was super early code on prototype hardware, and I don't think any of them had capture units running.

I only got to play any of them because I worked for Sony.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Does anyone know how (if at all) virtual reality devices will work for people who are blind in one eye? I know that oculus was based on having binocular vision, I'm guessing this will be the same right? Bit worried about this new trend of games I'm not really going to be able to play :(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pesmerga posted:

Does anyone know how (if at all) virtual reality devices will work for people who are blind in one eye? I know that oculus was based on having binocular vision, I'm guessing this will be the same right? Bit worried about this new trend of games I'm not really going to be able to play :(

You might get something out of this: http://kotaku.com/playing-occulus-rift-with-only-one-eye-1074765790

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
RE7's story writer is a dude called Richard Pearsey. It's also the first time a RE game has been written by a Western writer.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Pesmerga posted:

I've been wondering this too. 20/200 vision and far-sighted so I just naturally assumed VR was impossible for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Being chased by Lisa Trevor in a spooky cave in VR would be pretty creepy.