Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

I think he's the best AD when it comes to handling Arino. He takes enough of his crap to get a laugh, but pushes back some too. The on going drama of whether Arino can push him into asking out the beautician he likes is great fun too.
That said, the crowd at the charity event went crazy when they said Matsui was coming back

I boy band terms, I think he's known as "the cute one". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Quick question: what's your favorite episode that's available in at least 720p? I'm asking for reasons.

e: I mean a regular episode, not any of the specials.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FredMSloniker posted:

Quick question: what's your favorite episode that's available in at least 720p? I'm asking for reasons.

That's a really weird qualifier dude.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

My only contribution to this question is actually complicating your choice.

It's E3 week!

In fitting with consoles offering more storage, better colors and extra processing power while remaining compatible with the previous library of games, Arino whips out the Sega CD and tackles Mansion of the Hidden Souls. You will have to watch this episode to find out where it fits in the Souls saga.

Season 16, Episode 15

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=821069

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the awesome upload. I vaguely remember beating this game, but I kinda remember it not really having any gameplay. We'll see if I'm remembering this right or wrong in a bit. Probably not right now, as I'm watching Giantbomb's After E3 show, but I'll watch it tomorrow and give my full report then. Thanks again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

Thanks for the awesome upload. I vaguely remember beating this game, but I kinda remember it not really having any gameplay. We'll see if I'm remembering this right or wrong in a bit. Probably not right now, as I'm watching Giantbomb's After E3 show, but I'll watch it tomorrow and give my full report then. Thanks again.

The game literally took me under two hours to beat with the only real complication being... well... I'll let Arino show you that (and plenty more).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is the ape escape one being subbed?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the new episode. I really like when Arino gets to do a little puzzling. Trying to do the dart puzzle along with him though, I really overthought it and thought it was totally going to have to do with what color the darts were on and having to blow them out or light them based on their initial status.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I still don't own a Sega CD? What am I waiting for? Nintendo to make one?

No, they're just way too expensive nowadays. :(

Can't wait to watch this! Thanks to everyone involved!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How much did that game retail for?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I still don't own a Sega CD? What am I waiting for? Nintendo to make one?

No, they're just way too expensive nowadays. :(

There is a Saturn version. That's one I own.

Mister Chief posted:

How much did that game retail for?

Too drat much.

They really did show 95% of the game. There's nothing to it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I was a bit disappointed with this episode - I thought it would have been better if they had done the thing they did for Clock Tower, where they had Arino in a darkened room alone and Kan did his narration with a lower tone, giving the episode a much more creepy feel. It seemed fitting to me.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The Cho Aniki challenge had too many bugs

- A boss didn't appear, and Arino accidentally reset the game mashing buttons

- The CD just stopped spinning, requiring a reset.

- When adjusting a sound cord, they hit the adapter, resetting it again.

Eventually they gave up for the day and had him challenge only the last boss two weeks later, before the next challenge, so it'll be a double-header

Next challenge is - - 2. My guess is Sonic 2

edit - The game challenge for the Shikoku trip is KiKi KaiKai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiKi_KaiKai

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 17, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

That sounds like the most hilarious episode. I can just hear Arino going, "Ehhhh!?" in my mind.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kakaricho posted:

Yeeessss. Time for Arino to have some Serious Fun™.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is there some law that says every small business in Japan must have a metal slug?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Yeeessss. Time for Arino to have some Serious Fun™.

Should be a good episode, I'm almost tempted to get Hikari TV for a month just to see if the reason they picked Shikoku (literally "4 countries" ) was to make a 4K/4 countries gag.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is there some law that says every small business in Japan must have a metal slug?

I think that's just where Metal Slugs go to die, and there's just so freaking many of them. They're like the Ms. Pac-Man of Japan.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I think that's just where Metal Slugs go to die, and there's just so freaking many of them. They're like the Ms. Pac-Man of Japan.

If I recall what I read about them once, the smaller size combined with new versions constantly making old ones outdated makes them really cheap to pick up both new and used.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

The Cho Aniki challenge had too many bugs

- A boss didn't appear, and Arino accidentally reset the game mashing buttons

- The CD just stopped spinning, requiring a reset.

- When adjusting a sound cord, they hit the adapter, resetting it again.

Eventually they gave up for the day and had him challenge only the last boss two weeks later, before the next challenge, so it'll be a double-header

Famicom Disk System or PC-Engine version?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

gunstarheroes posted:

Famicom Disk System or PC-Engine version?

They didn't specify, but seeing as they try and shy away from the Disk system, I assume PC Engine.
(although given the trouble it gave them recently...)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kakaricho posted:

They said they'd be filming a segment with Kibe talking to Yuji Naka about his insane proposal so yeah, that makes sense.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

From my experiences, I think that law extends to every single country in the world.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Metal Slug cabinets are running off a cart anyway right? I'm sure it's a lot easier to sell a game to a candy story 20 years ago if you tell them you can swap the games out and just have the one cabinet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Metal Slug cabinets are running off a cart anyway right? I'm sure it's a lot easier to sell a game to a candy story 20 years ago if you tell them you can swap the games out and just have the one cabinet.

Yes that's the genius of the Neo Geo MVS, unfortunately it seems that for a lot of operators they only needed the one cart anyway.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Command Ant posted:

From my experiences, I think that law extends to every single country in the world.

Don't know what you're talking about because I'm in the US and have literally never seen a real-life Metal Slug cabinet. But I've seen a Ms. Pac-Man in every single coin laundry I've been in (which isn't many, but still).

VV Either right next to the Galaga machine or one of those "Anniversary" machines where they combine Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 17, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Don't know what you're talking about because I'm in the US and have literally never seen a real-life Metal Slug cabinet. But I've seen a Ms. Pac-Man in every single coin laundry I've been in (which isn't many, but still).

I used to live near a Wal-Mart that had one up front. That was the only Metal Slug in an arcade I had seen in person until the local retroarcade added it to their Neo Geo set up.

Ms. Pac-Man, however, was the best selling arcade cabinet ever which is why it was literally everywhere. Right next to the Galaga machine...

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished watching the Mansion of Hidden Souls episode...and that game had a lot more gameplay than I remember. I recall beating it real fast back in the day and I guess I just blocked out the few puzzles the game actually had.

Thanks for the work.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Metal Slug and Metal Slug X are some of the more common MVS cartridges. That and Puzzle Bobble at least state-side... And Samuari Showdown 1 & 3

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They said they'd be filming a segment with Kibe talking to Yuji Naka about his insane proposal so yeah, that makes sense.

Actually, scrap my guess, Kan just tweeted the content of the upcoming Genesis/Mega Drive DVD

Disc 1
Gunstar Heroes
Strider Hiryu
Mansion of Hidden Souls

Disc 2
Dynamite Headdy
Pulseman
Comix Zone

Un-aired bonus challenge
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Goods
Arino business card/holder
Genesis/Mega Drive paper craft

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

Kakaricho posted:

Un-aired bonus challenge
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Without even watching it, this sounds like the funniest DVD bonus challenge so far.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Un-aired bonus challenge
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Arino plays so few western games it'll be nice to see him dive into this.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Arino plays so few western games it'll be nice to see him dive into this.

...?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic 2 was made at Sega Technical Institute in America by a mix of Japanese and American staff... in a nutshell, the creator of Sonic threatened to quit the company if they didn't give him a pay rise, so Sega of America stepped in and brought half his team to America and paid him American money to shut them up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That doesn't really make it a Western game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

That doesn't really make it a Western game.

It was developed in America with at least part of the development staff as American.

Next you'll be claiming Final Fantasy III isn't a western RPG.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It was developed in America with at least part of the development staff as American.

Next you'll be claiming Final Fantasy III isn't a western RPG.

You lost this battle before it began.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
They released the store-exclusive business cards you can get with a pre-order of "Game no Naka."

Rakuten

HMV

Amazon

I didn't design the cards, but I did the pixel art. I don't know if there's anything on the back. If you're in Japan, Kan is doing a signing August 6 & 7 (location TBA). I won't be at that signing, but I'm considering participating in the December Akihabara DVD release event.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

McLaglen posted:

Without even watching it, this sounds like the funniest DVD bonus challenge so far.

Die Hard Arcade and Spelunker would like to have a word with you.

zari-gani posted:

They released the store-exclusive business cards you can get with a pre-order of "Game no Naka."

It's not on you at all, but this is the sort of thing I'd like to know about before making a pre-order...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Die Hard Arcade and Spelunker would like to have a word with you.

Too bad these are probably not available for viewing without actually purchasing the DVD? I'd really like to see the Castlevania challenge, too.

To be honest, I have been thinking about getting some of those original DVD's just for collection's sake, but the prices are out of this world. If I may go on a tangent, I've felt the same about collecting some of the earlier albums of the pillows, which is probably one of my all-time favourite bands, even though my music collection is entirely digital nowadays. But the old albums are quite expensive too. Would I be able to pick them up cheap if I went to a local used goods store, like in europe? Is it just the internet business that's keeping the prices high? What's up with DVD and CD prices, since the used game market is (relatively) affordable?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 18, 2016