Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

That is like a really fit beach body ready CAC Wirraway :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrLonghair posted:

That is like a really fit beach body ready CAC Wirraway :haw:

You almost made me think it was a CAC Wackett (seriously, Australia?), but the tail's wrong, and that'd have to be an aftermarket engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guys it is almost certainly a slightly modified Yak-52TW.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

Guys it is almost certainly a slightly modified Yak-52TW.

Those don't have tapered wings. But this still seems to have a lot more taper than a Yak does. The rounded wingtips I can understand as a cosmetic mod, as well as the fake exhaust (vvvvvvv a 52 is way too light of a plane to mount a Merlin to; and even if someone did go through the effort, why undo the effect by preserving the round cowl? It doesn't make sense. Plus the real exhaust is still there at the bottom).

Maybe something about the particular pic just really accentuates the taper effect.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yak-52TW body with an engine from an early Spitfire (three exhausts per side, also used in Hurricanes) would explain the misconception from media, and maybe modified wings also considering the markings. Some neat engine-plane combos happened during WW2, lost the bookmark to a site with hundreds of those examples.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Yak-52TW body with an engine from an early Spitfire (three exhausts per side, also used in Hurricanes) would explain the misconception from media, and maybe modified wings also considering the markings. Some neat engine-plane combos happened during WW2, lost the bookmark to a site with hundreds of those examples.

Some of the Russian frankenplanes are particularly fun. Wasn't the La-5 series just the nose and engine from a Su-2 crammed onto a LaGG-3?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Those aren't even exhausts, just some cosmetic add-on, like those wingtips. The aircraft retains its original radial engine (you can see the twin exhausts poking out the bottom of the cowling), because putting a Merlin into a Yak-52 would be insanely expensive and difficult from both a regulatory and technical perspective. Essentially this airplane has the equivalent of a set of AutoZone stick-on portals.

And besides with the wonders of modern CGI, they can superimpose a Spitfire computer model over the Yak without a huge amount of difficulty.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MrChips posted:

Those aren't even exhausts, just some cosmetic add-on, like those wingtips. The aircraft retains its original radial engine (you can see the twin exhausts poking out the bottom of the cowling), because putting a Merlin into a Yak-52 would be insanely expensive and difficult from both a regulatory and technical perspective. Essentially this airplane has the equivalent of a set of AutoZone stick-on portals.

And besides with the wonders of modern CGI, they can superimpose a Spitfire computer model over the Yak without a huge amount of difficulty.

Now imagining an actual mammillian yak with a zillion little white mocap balls stuck to it.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

MrChips posted:

It's not like modifying aircraft for movies hasn't been done before, a number of T-6's/Harvards underwent a fair chunk of plastic surgery for Tora Tora Tora.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ehnus posted:

It's not like modifying aircraft for movies hasn't been done before, a number of T-6's/Harvards underwent a fair chunk of plastic surgery for Tora Tora Tora.

I'd give up a testicle to fly a real Zero. What a beautiful plane. I think it, the FW 190, and the F-86 are the most beautiful machines ever built.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Yeah its a modified Yak52 with a Spitfire canopy and slapped on wingtips, panels on the fuselage, and the exhaust.

Hope some more pictures show up in the media.

D C fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 17, 2016

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

MrLonghair posted:

CAC Wirraway :haw:

Ever since I saw that name in WarThunder I've always assumed it was named by a 3 year old.
:D What's that big machine?
:kiddo: "A choo-choo!"
:D And that animal?
:kiddo: "A woof-woof!"
:D What's that plane?
:kiddo: "A whirr-away!"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Are you coming during the air show?

<insert masturbation joke here>

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

karoshi posted:

Ever since I saw that name in WarThunder I've always assumed it was named by a 3 year old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_Wirraway

quote:

The CAC Wirraway (an Aboriginal word meaning "challenge") was a training and general purpose military aircraft manufactured in Australia by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) between 1939 and 1946. The aircraft was an Australian development of the North American NA-16 training aircraft.

During World War II, the Wirraway saw action, in a makeshift light bomber/ground attack capacity, against Japanese forces. It was also the starting point for the design of an "emergency fighter", the CAC Boomerang.
It was replaced as a trainer plane after the war by the CAC Winjeel, which is Aboriginal for Young Eagle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_Winjeel

The factory it was made at gave rise to the Holden engine plant nextdoor to the aerodrome in Fishermens Bend in Melbourne, with Holden currently closing down manufacturing at the plant. The land is currently up for urban renewal and the other year the state government created 4 new suburbs for the area which will have skyscrapers built in them. One of the new suburbs is called Wirraway because of the plane.

There is a Wirraway Drive and a Saber Drive named after those planes in about the same location as the old runways and the Boeing factory is just off to the side where 787 parts are made and the Defence Science and Technology Organisation is also right there, the remains of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation, which is where some parts of the F35 are made. They have an Australian built English Electic Canberra on display too, sadly gated off in a restricted area, you can see it on googlemaps

You can see an old aerial survey taken at the end of the war with a slider to compare to current day googlemaps at this site: http://1945.melbourne The airfield is to the left of the starting location in Port Melbourne, along the river. You can also see the german & japanese internment camp and army base in Royal Park (Parkville) which exited during the war next to the Zoo.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

D C posted:

Yeah its a modified Yak52 with a Spitfire canopy and slapped on wingtips, panels on the fuselage, and the exhaust.

Hope some more pictures show up in the media.

If it was a car it'd have bumper-stickers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So who has $25k burning a hole in their pocket?

Learn to fly a Matin Mars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

priznat posted:

So who has $25k burning a hole in their pocket?

Learn to fly a Matin Mars

How did we miss this guy when we were discussing flying boats?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CommieGIR posted:

How did we miss this guy when we were discussing flying boats?

It's more of a flying ship, really.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd give up a testicle to fly a real Zero. What a beautiful plane. I think it, the FW 190, and the F-86 are the most beautiful machines ever built.

I'll be seeing (weather permitting) a Zero and a FW190 flying tomorrow. I'm excited.

(also a real Spitfire instead of a Yakfire and a P-47, but you know)

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 17, 2016

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

From the China thread in GBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qZPaCRSQI

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea those bricks are meant to be used. Every last one of them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's even the airline from the safe China (Taiwan). :catstare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wowzas :eyepop:

Happy brrrrrrrt day
https://youtu.be/NvIJvPj_pjE

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
June continues to be a poo poo month for acrobatics teams.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

That's even the airline from the safe China (Taiwan). :catstare:

You say that like there is a safe China.

And on top of that, it's come out that the Red Arrows will not be performing at Farnborough later this month as well, because of Britain's newfound paranoia about flying displays.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This was just posted in the scale model thread, and I'm quoting it here as it is pretty AI:

Unkempt posted:

I'm calling this one 'Three Tenths of a Second Before the Music Died'.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my loving God the well-modeled panicked protective palms.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

File under "A" for "Actually Retarded"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They've supposedly dramatically improved their safety record over the past decade. Or maybe I was selectively looking at sources when I flew them from TPE-NRT.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was just posted in the scale model thread, and I'm quoting it here as it is pretty AI:

Holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

karoshi posted:

:D “What’s that little engine in the back that performs auxiliary functions?”
:kiddo: “Putt‐putt!”

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

J is for jackass!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

This page has many good posts, thanks guys

Anyone wanting to know more about flying in China should read "Flying Upside Down"
I'll admit I never made to the end due to many factors - the writing's pretty poor (then again he's a professional pilot not author) and he is 100% bile and vitriol and yeah at times he seems incapable of differentiating between his managers and All Chinese People when throwing abuse around - but the actual content of what he's saying is pretty astounding and yet perfectly believable having worked in China

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

:D “What’s that little engine in the back that performs auxiliary functions?”
:kiddo: “Putt‐putt!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwcQeaWG13E

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
For those interested season 16 of Air Crash Investigation has started. Coming episodes include 9/11 and for some reason the Tenerife disaster again. Links are out there for those unable to watch on TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mayday_episodes#Season_16_.282016.29

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Twin Twin Otters headed to Antarctica on rescue mission. I think this is crazy because they have to commit to the South Pole. There is a point of no abort. The same company suffered an Antarctic crash in 2013 though not in winter. I really hope they pull it off.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hermsgervørden posted:

Twin Twin Otters headed to Antarctica on rescue mission. I think this is crazy because they have to commit to the South Pole. There is a point of no abort. The same company suffered an Antarctic crash in 2013 though not in winter. I really hope they pull it off.

Equal time points are a normal thing, even if it is particularly dramatic in this case. We had to calculate them all the time when flying to Wake Island or Diego. Little island, middle of nowhere, nowhere else to go if things get weird. You get to the ETP and then if you don't have the conditions to continue then you turn around and go back. If your liquid oxygen tank ruptures and you're past the ETP, you shrug and hope you didn't need that oxygen.

Not that that's ever happened to me

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any info on what the emergency is? Didn't see anything in the story.

Wasn't the last time a lady who also happened to be a physician and self diagnosed needing immediate cancer surgery or something? I seem to recall them using a 320 or 737 for that though. I think from NZ or AZ?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

slidebite posted:

Any info on what the emergency is? Didn't see anything in the story.

Wasn't the last time a lady who also happened to be a physician and self diagnosed needing immediate cancer surgery or something? I seem to recall them using a 320 or 737 for that though. I think from NZ or AZ?

That was a long time ago, and yeah she was a doctor and got breast cancer. She ultimately died from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerri_Nielsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

That was a long time ago, and yeah she was a doctor and got breast cancer. She ultimately died from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerri_Nielsen

She had to do biopsies and other surgical interventions on herself and the plane was "only" a few weeks earlier than normal. Antarctic doctors are hardcore.