Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

cheese posted:

This is definitely pre-permit but its still awful. I have never understood Half Dome. I know its got crazy name recognition, but I'm not even sure its a top 5 hike in Yosemite. If you want crazy panorama views, go on to Cloud's Rest and get a better view (it looks DOWN on Half Dome in the distance) with 1/10th the people.

I think it's just the lure of being able to hike up one of the big impressive granite domes in the area without being a climber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I blame OSX for having it as a wallpaper.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

This is my effortpost from last year about exactly that

I should mention that I'll occasionally throw in a Mountain House Chili Mac occasionally, because they're cheap on amazon and so goddamned satisfying.

Thank you that is a nice start..

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Hypnolobster posted:

Mylar blankets are pretty firmly into the "overprepared" category. If a down quilt gets soaked, squeeze it out and go to sleep. It'll be warmer and more comfortable than mylar.

Enjoy your hypothermia. I'll carry the 2 oz.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MMD3 posted:

Angel's Landing... as early as possible.

Did this one today! Great hike.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Moraine Lake is our version of Half Dome up here, on busy long weekends they shut the access road down and only allow buses and a shuttle there because otherwise it's complete chaos. I remember one Saturday afternoon they had parking control at the road turnoff, counting cars going in and coming out. We waited in our car for over an hour just to get to the parking lot. But we were determined to do the scramble we had planned, so we waited. It was great coming down at sunset because then the place was near deserted. I think it might end up like Lake O'Hara eventually, where you can only access it by pre-booked shuttle buses.

And now I'm headed there on Saturday along with Lake Louise and a couple other really photogenic spots, wish me luck.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

beefnoodle posted:

Enjoy your hypothermia. I'll carry the 2 oz.

or check the weather before you leave home, take synthetic, and actually be comfortable

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Hiking at altitude in the Colorado Rockies has nothing to do with weather reports.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My husband went to scramble up Mt. Edith which is literally across the highway from Banff, which had a forecast of partly cloudy and 25C. The Banff forecast was accurate, it was sunny and hot at the base of the mountain. Within 30m of the summit he was enclosed in a blizzard and the rock was so icy he had to turn back before summitting. I always assume it's going to be arctic tundra conditions as soon as I leave the treeline and that the weather can turn to poo poo in seconds with no warning.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah people who argue against packing bivvy/layers have no idea what it's like hiking the alpine.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Also, can someone please judge me?

Just want to say I'm a big fan of people posting their packs like this. It's fascinating to see what ideas folks come up with.

EDIT: Which length Tenkara do you pack? I'm strongly considering picking up a rod for HST because we're going to have a lot of downtime at the end of the day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

beefnoodle posted:

Hiking at altitude in the Colorado Rockies has nothing to do with weather reports.

Strong afternoon thunderstorms?

Eh, personally I think being worried about a mylar blanket is still overkill. I'd rather use an EVent dry bag as a stuff sack than bother carrying the emergency blanket in that situation. If you've got multiple layers keeping your poo poo dry (and you should...some kind of waterproof cover or liner, the fabric of your backpack itself, and a water resistant or proof stuff sack) then short of falling into a stream or lake or being stuck out in constant rain for days (which a weather forecast should tell you about) then I'm not seeing the necessity.

That said, again, do whatever you're comfortable with.

Hungryjack posted:

Just want to say I'm a big fan of people posting their packs like this. It's fascinating to see what ideas folks come up with.

EDIT: Which length Tenkara do you pack? I'm strongly considering picking up a rod for HST because we're going to have a lot of downtime at the end of the day.

I have an 12 foot pole that I just took out for the first time. You don't get a ton of casting range obviously but I fished from lake sides and caught stuff. Need to keep practicing my cast though...I'm so used to using my wrist for things but you really need to cast using your elbow as the hinge to help get the bend in the rod you need. I just took a small bag of stuff to go with it...didn't take an extra furled line but did take an extra length of tippet. I have 3 flys (and managed to lose 1), a line holder, and small plier/forceps to help get hooks out. The fish that I caught I just hand lined in once I got them close enough to grab the line. There wasn't a ton of fight in the fish, cold water high altitude I guess, but I do have to get better at getting the hook out quickly. At any rate, even if you just catch and release it's a good time waster, just don't forget to buy a license.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

The liner doesn't cover stuff in pockets and the cover doesn't protect the stuff against my back. Willing to be proven wrong on this one so I'll experiment at home one time when it rains.

What is in your external pockets that can't get wet and won't fit into a ziplock?

In my experience, covers are useless. Water wicks in from the parts of the pack that the cover doesn't protect and everything gets wet anyway. Use a good liner for the main compartment, bag your important items, and accept that your backpack is going to get wet in sustained rain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Disagree, I have an Osprey.....something, and the included cover works pretty well. I do a lot of day hikes in the rain (less people out and the fish are already wet) and it does a good job of keeping the pack's contents dry. Even when rain soaks through the back panel it is only ever faintly damp on the inside of the pack.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Re: tenkara - I have a 12 foot shadowfire that just got earlier this month. Never used yet it because I'm moving in a couple weeks. I'm p much a first time fisher otherwise.

Re: pack cover - both the pack and cover are new so Im still experimenting with how I pack and haven't had a chance to use it in the rain. What you're saying makes sense but i can't really speak to an experience I haven't have yet.

Re: mylar - I'm convinced that if I have my gear with me I don't really need one. Going forward I'm probably only going to carry it for times when I expect to not always be carrying everything else (eg, day hike staged from a base camp).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Pack covers are often worth carrying just because they weigh less than a soaking wet backpack. I use a pack cover and liner too. On a cuben fiber or small UL pack, the weight difference probably swings the other way, but it's still awfully nice digging around the outside of a mostly dry pack at the end of the day instead of a soaked one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Does anyone roll their own freezer bag meals? If so can you post some pro tips and favorite meals.

I just got into this last summer and I made a lot of my meals using instant mashed potatoes and a mix of stuff from Harmony House's backpacker pack. Most of it was so good that we even doctor up our mash potatoes at home using that stuff.

We sewed up a heater coozy out of some water-heater insulation. It rather looked like bubble wrap with mylar on it.

Oh, if you add the "meatish bits" toss em in towards the end. They get a rather strange texture if they soak the whole time.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Yooper posted:

I just got into this last summer and I made a lot of my meals using instant mashed potatoes and a mix of stuff from Harmony House's backpacker pack. Most of it was so good that we even doctor up our mash potatoes at home using that stuff.

We sewed up a heater coozy out of some water-heater insulation. It rather looked like bubble wrap with mylar on it.

Oh, if you add the "meatish bits" toss em in towards the end. They get a rather strange texture if they soak the whole time.

Excellent reference, thank you!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Some pics from my trip in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago. Went in Chilnualna Falls and looped up around Buena Vista peak and back. Ranger thought it might be dicey to do the whole loop because of snow and runoff filled creeks but we really didn't have much trouble with either. Had to be careful on some crossings but always found a way across without having to wade or worry about fast water, etc.

The first day was basically 10 miles of uphill, about 4k feet in climbing, so that was kind of rough. The first part is a popular day hike and takes you up to some falls

There's a really big falls that's hard to get a picture of because of the way the cliffs and trail are positioned, unfortunately.

A bit further above the falls was the first big stream crossing, where it looked like we were going to have to wade a shallow spot until I found a tree and rock hopping path across. Got across without incident, then went back a bit to help guide my wife across. Then some people came from the other direction and I kind of ended up stuck between them waiting on the bank and my wife cross, got distracted with all of the people, and slipped and fell in a bit. Fun times! wasn't too bad, got a bit wet but none of my gear was really wet

Then we had some trouble finding the lake that was to be our campsite for the night, I thought there was a trail off to it but there wasn't, so we had to hunt around a bit and when we found it, the only camping site we could find was right next to some other people who had basically done the same thing. They were nice and let us set up near them and it was fine. Tough first day but could have been worse.

Second day we started hitting snow on the trail as we moved above 8500 feet or so. Generally wasn't bad, could usually see where the trail came out and there were footprints from other people. Just had to watch out for spots where the snow was undercut by runoff.

Lots of runoff meant the trail often just turned into a stream. Lots of finding ways through soggy, flooded areas.

Stopped for lunch at Royal Arch Lake and tossed out a fishing line a few times

Yes I'm wearing a scarf. Ongoing experiment to find a way to cover my neck while hiking to avoid the sun baking it. Worked out OK, probably just looked a bit silly. Treated it with permetherin as well so I could use it to protect against mosquitos. Anyways, caught a fish on the first cast, somewhat small brook trout.

Need to work on my casting but I got better at it and caught a couple more fish at some later lakes.

Royal Arch Lake also had a nice view of layered granite above it, not sure why I took a picture with a tree in the middle

Going up over Buena Vista "pass" and down to Buena Vista lake, things got a lot more snowy at 9300 feet and the north side of the mountain. Still wasn't bad though and we were able to route find just fine

despite the clouds it didn't really rain or storm much, just some sprinkles.

There was also a good view of the Clark Range from that area, though it never shows up as well on camera

Was over there last year hiking up to Ottaway Lakes.

Camped at one of the Chilnualna Lakes, had a more relaxing afternoon. Then it stormed overnight and I guess I managed to pick out a low spot on the ground for the tent because we ended up in a puddle

Thankfully wasn't a big deal. Just will need to pay closer attention to that in the future. I also wonder if my groundsheet funneled some water between it and the tent and helped create the puddle. The floor of the tent was a bit wet as it soaked through some and the bottom of my pad was wet but since it was the last night as well it ultimately wasn't an issue other than more cleanup when we got back.

Last day was pretty much all downhilll for 4-5k elevation and involved a lot more stream/flooded area dodging, then a thunderstorm started rolling in during the last stretch so we were hurrying down without stopping for lunch. Still saw a bunch of people headed up to the falls while the storm was threatening, not sure if that's the greatest idea, but we got down and out as it started raining hard near the trailhead.

Last waterfall pic.

Pretty decent trip for the beginning of the season. It was neat to hike through the snow and get a vague sense of what the area looks like in the winter near Buena Vista lake.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

As some of you might have read about already the House committee on Natural Resources voted to adopt HR 3650, which directs the federal government to transfer land over to state control. This despite massive opposition from hunters, anglers, hikers, basically anyone who loves being outside. It's basically a blatant sell out by congress to transfer public lands to private companies and corporations.

I'd encourage everyone in this thread to sign the petition at:
https://www.protectourpublicland.org

And more importantly write to your local congressman/woman and stress how much you oppose this bill.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 23, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is it like, just BLM land? Pretty sure they can't force the handover of National Parks and forests that were set aside with other laws and acts

Seems like something that wouldn't get through without being attached to another bill going through but yeah that's pretty hosed up

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

Is it like, just BLM land? Pretty sure they can't force the handover of National Parks and forests that were set aside with other laws and acts

Seems like something that wouldn't get through without being attached to another bill going through but yeah that's pretty hosed up

Nope not just BLM land. It would also include National Forestry land as well which is the especially troubling part.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What is BLM land?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nope not just BLM land. It would also include National Forestry land as well which is the especially troubling part.

I have some vague doubts that would work out but what do I know...

mirthdefect posted:

What is BLM land?

Basically all public land that isn't a national forest or park etc (which is most of public land)

Bureau of Land Management. Which of course is now slightly awkward with the Black Lives Matter movement using the same acronym.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ahh OK.

Also, they have allowed comments on their site:

Kate posted:

If these lands belong to ALL of us, then why has it become a federal Crime (literally!) to walk your dog on Federal Land with a leash longer than 6 feet?? It is an outrage!

Levitate posted:

I love dogs but dog walkers are some of the most self absorbed assholes

after horse people, who are barely people at all.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 23, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
"I can't walk my dog in bear country without a leash so let's sell off the public's land for a pittance so a good ol' boys club can extract wealth from it that I'll never see a piece of." The logic checks out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

Yeah this. Dogs are the best thing to ever happen to people but seriously L'Enfer c'est les autres.

Time Cowboy posted:

"I can't walk my dog in bear country without a leash so let's sell off the public's land for a pittance so a good ol' boys club can extract wealth from it that I'll never see a piece of." The logic checks out.
Temporarily embarrassed millionaires and all that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Levitate posted:

The bill would transfer National Forest land as well, which covers tons and tons of recreational areas:

quote:

This bill directs the Department of Agriculture, through the Forest Service, to convey to a state up to 2 million acres of eligible portions of the National Forest System (NFS) in it that it elects to acquire through enactment by the state legislature of a bill meeting certain criteria.

Portions of the NFS conveyed to a state shall be administered and managed primarily for timber production.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3650/all-info#summary

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Isn't National Forest already managed for the purposes of forestry? I'm not from the US but I've seen the Ken Burns thing which is the extent of my knowledge, and I gathered from that that the point of making the National Forests was to provide recreation land without totally ruling out extraction of natural resources.
Or is it more a case of current managed extraction balanced with recreation and preservation vs strip-mining?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
As far as I can tell, that bill hasn't even left committee yet, it is just at the "ordered to be reported" stage: http://lowenthal.house.gov/legislation/bill-to-law.htm

Probably no reason to panic, yet.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

taqueso posted:

As far as I can tell, that bill hasn't even left committee yet, it is just at the "ordered to be reported" stage: http://lowenthal.house.gov/legislation/bill-to-law.htm

Probably no reason to panic, yet.

It just passed out of committee - that's why people are starting to raise the alarm. According to the congressional info page committee markup happened 6/15: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3650/all-info#committees

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hungryjack posted:

Yep. 32 degrees warm shirts from Costco were very cheap and worked as advertised. Their Kirklands Merino blend hiking socks cost $12 and that gets you four pairs. And despite wearing a pair basically every day, I've never worn out any of them. Actually, if I ever did, I'd probably take them back to Costco for a refund because they have a lifetime warranty.

i like the socks because they're really warm in the winter, but i wear through the heels on about 5-6 pairs a year. i've never worn through a darn tough sock and they see more wear from me year round. still very good socks, can't beat them for $3 a pair.

other good costco stuff:

cascade mountain tech trekking poles
cheap yaktrax (for friends, family, and casuals, winter seasonal)
$20 trailrunners (for friends, family, and casuals)
paradox winter baselayer
$20 polartec fleeces (winter)
$20 hawk&co 650 fill down vests (winter seasonal)
$40? hawk&co 650 fill down jackets (winter seasonal)
$40? down throw blankets (winter, modifiable into hammock quilts)

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Just booked flights for a trip to Glacier NP in late August! Looking for some advice for those that have been there on hikes, campgrounds, etc. I will have 4 full days in the park (arriving late in day on a Friday and leaving early morning on Wednesday).

Campgrounds - any advice on what campgrounds are good to stay at? Just plan on tent camping so don't need anything fancy. I also plan on having a car and driving around to different locations for long day hikes so don't need backcountry campgrounds for overnight hikes. My initial thought was stay on western side first night since I get in late and again on last night since I'll have to drive out early to airport. Other three nights could do all on eastern side or 1 western/2 eastern - whichever makes most sense for best places to be. Does this make sense and any specific recommendations? Are they ones I should book in advance or figure out day I get there?

Hikes - what are some hikes I should try not to miss? I'm a guy in my late 20s - going solo, looking for day hikes rather than overnighters but am down for high mileage long day hikes. Open to any and everything - from East Coast so excited to see landscapes like no other I've seen before.

Any other advice for GNP?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

i like the socks because they're really warm in the winter, but i wear through the heels on about 5-6 pairs a year. i've never worn through a darn tough sock and they see more wear from me year round. still very good socks, can't beat them for $3 a pair.

other good costco stuff:

cascade mountain tech trekking poles
cheap yaktrax (for friends, family, and casuals, winter seasonal)
$20 trailrunners (for friends, family, and casuals)
paradox winter baselayer
$20 polartec fleeces (winter)
$20 hawk&co 650 fill down vests (winter seasonal)
$40? hawk&co 650 fill down jackets (winter seasonal)
$40? down throw blankets (winter, modifiable into hammock quilts)
All of that is amazing, although I agree that shoes might be the one place I don't grab the costco special. Its one thing if your puffy vest doesn't fit quite right - a totally different ballgame if your shoes don't perform like you need.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
agreed. the cheap trailrunners are great for that friend you drag along on a hike that's not really all too into it, but they don't own running shoes. but i would splurge the $30 extra for last year's sauconies myself.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Yeah. Pass on the discount shoes, but everything else on that Costco list is solid.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did this one today! Great hike.

nice, how were the crowds?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You guys need some powerful NGOs that take the government or resource extraction companies to court over land use issues like we've got up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

You guys need some powerful NGOs that take the government or resource extraction companies to court over land use issues like we've got up here.

Ha. If Jumbo were in the US, there'd be a loving Disneyland there by now.