Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts decided 5 years ago that he was going to dress up like a superhero, and fly through the sky like Superman, under his own power and otherwise unassisted by un-fidelitious technology like airplanes or jetpacks. This was going to be the real deal.

In 2012 the Kickstarter began. A few hundred thousand dollars turned into over 100 million over the next several years. People who believed in the vision of Chris Roberts flying around downtown were rewarded with absolute, irrefutable proof that this was going to happen in the form of:

- Multiple weekly videos about how Chris was going to fly around
- The ability to donate money to design and build all the different suits Chris can wear while flying
- CGI videos showing what it will look like when Chris will fly
- Hundreds of people across several countries dedicated to making Chris's flight dreams a reality
- The actual creation of the superhero costumes Chris will wear while flying
- Videos with Chris himself answering questions about how cool it will be to fly
- Funded events where people who believe Chris will fly all gather together to talk about how cool it will be

Stories about how Chris tried to fly in the past, and failed, were downplayed by his supporters. They kept referencing the aforementioned items as proof that the inherent problems in the plan were well in hand. They did, after all, hire the world's foremost experts on flight. They talked about flying in videos. They designed the costumes. With successful efforts like that, clearly this project was nearing completion. Surely they wouldn't go through all that effort if the core goal - the foundation of his vision - was unattainable.

As Chris leaped from the tallest building, and began to plummet to the ground, the backers looked up with smiles on their faces. He'd pull up any moment now in a triumphant arc, and his, and everyone else's, dreams would come true.

A very few people looked away. Those people remained silent, for they had been attacked, browbeaten, threatened, and harrassed by the believers when they had made a simple, factual statement when this whole thing began: Chris Roberts can't fly.

:five:

Edit: A good start for page 4242

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

It is the year 4242, has Star Citizen been released yet?

Have some cattes to celebrate :toot:

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 17, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

:five:

Edit: A good start for page 4242

:yeah:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
F
U
San
D

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Would you be more confident in giving money to HBS if they adopted CIG's development and communications paradigm?

As much as I don't want to fall into the trap, it wouldn't work that way. First, there two fundamentally different types of game. Battletech has a storied history - away from that too far and you lose you're audience. Plus the platform doesn't really require a bottom-up approach to building. The engine works for an RTS and doesn't require massive re-writes to support a mass of people. If HBS wanted to offer mechs prior to release in exchange for a pledge amount, I would be ok with that.

Edit: :gary:4242!!!!!!!!! +42:yarg:

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 17, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scruffpuff posted:

A very few people looked away. Those people remained silent, for they had been attacked, browbeaten, threatened, and harrassed by the believers when they had made a simple, factual statement when this whole thing began: Chris Roberts can't fly.
Next, he's going to eat Chichester Cathedral.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Posting from page 4242

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo that fuzzy black dust bunny above me.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 17, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

I love battletech. I used to watch the Robotech cartoons in the good 'ole days and played every iteration MechWarrior. I never got into the board or card game that much, but I'm looking into the new RTS that's coming out.

Then Check out this thread :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329

Battletech can be awesome with the benevolent guidance of a good GM.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Posting on the best page.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ben Lesnick, Developer.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
4242 - Best page in all of the internet.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I love battletech. I used to watch the Robotech cartoons in the good 'ole days and played every iteration MechWarrior. I never got into the board or card game that much, but I'm looking into the new RTS that's coming out.

Hey Heffay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME

Try to keep up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaZw1xMxBQ

Wait I think I hosed up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

As much as I don't want to fall into the trap, it wouldn't work that way. First, there two fundamentally different types of game. Battletech has a storied history - away from that too far and you lose you're audience.

How does that in any way make a difference for the applicability of the CIG development and communications paradigm? A game is a game is a game; software is software is software. How is the history of BT in any way relevant to how the game is developed and how the development is being communicated to the backers?

quote:

Plus the platform doesn't really require a bottom-up approach to building. The engine works for an RTS and doesn't require massive re-writes to support a mass of people.

So what? They can build on an existing engine, same as CIG has chosen to do. How does that in any way alter the process by which the game is put together? How does it in any way change how the development of the game is being communicated to the backers?

quote:

If HBS wanted to offer mechs prior to release in exchange for a pledge amount, I would be ok with that.

That wasn't what he was asking, though…

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

What could have been.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts decided 5 years ago that he was going to dress up like a superhero, and fly through the sky like Superman, under his own power and otherwise unassisted by un-fidelitious technology like airplanes or jetpacks. This was going to be the real deal.

In 2012 the Kickstarter began. A few hundred thousand dollars turned into over 100 million over the next several years. People who believed in the vision of Chris Roberts flying around downtown were rewarded with absolute, irrefutable proof that this was going to happen in the form of:

- The ability to donate money to design and build all the different suits Chris can wear while flying
- Hundreds of people across several countries dedicated to making Chris's flight dreams a reality
- Videos with Chris himself answering questions about how cool it will be to fly
- Funded events where people who believe Chris will fly all gather together to talk about how cool it will be

Stories about how Chris tried to fly in the past, and failed, were downplayed by his supporters. They kept referencing the aforementioned items as proof that the inherent problems in the plan were well in hand. They did, after all, hire the world's foremost experts on flight. They talked about flying in videos. They designed the costumes. With successful efforts like that, clearly this project was nearing completion. Surely they wouldn't go through all that effort if the core goal - the foundation of his vision - was unattainable.

As Chris leaped from the tallest building, and began to plummet to the ground, the backers looked up with smiles on their faces. He'd pull up any moment now in a triumphant arc, and his, and everyone else's, dreams would come true.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

The best post.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm caught up with the thread from like 1500 pages ago.

The art stuff is unbelievable.

I can't wait for CitizenCon.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

FULL BURN
FULL BURN

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Acquilae posted:

Posting from page 4242

How the gently caress can you not post the gif? What is wrong with you?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Squadron 42 is like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes except the clothes are meant to be an armour to protect the wearer for a bullet called "Justified criticism for a complete gently caress-up of the delivery of a promised product".

As you can tell by the writing space on it, it's a very big bullet and invisible armour you can't see to avoid spoilers isn't going to stop it.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Before the release of Squadron 42, CIG will announce a 3rd project to use as an excuse for all future failed and shoddy deliverables.

"Sure, Squadron 42 isn't the best, but that's because all our resources are hard at work on our groundbreaking space middle management game, Star Bureaucracy."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Squadron 42 is like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes except the clothes are meant to be an armour to protect the wearer for a bullet called "Justified criticism for a complete gently caress-up of the delivery of a promised product".

As you can tell by the writing space on it, it's a very big bullet and invisible armour you can't see to avoid spoilers isn't going to stop it.

The best part is that I have yet to hear a single person in the community actually say they're excited for Squadron 42 outside of being an "appetizer" for the main course.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part is that I have yet to hear a single person in the community actually say they're excited for Squadron 42 outside of being an "appetizer" for the main course.

I read a post from someone who was not B'Tak saying that they preferred a single player campaign so ha.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Woot 4242! What a momentous occasion!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Chris just may get Squadron 42 by the end of the year after all!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 17, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

G0RF posted:

Chris may get Squadron 42 by the end of the year after all!
Looks small. Will the SC horse fit?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

G0RF posted:

Chris may get Squadron 42 by the end of the year after all!

:eyepop:

Did they forget to get the trademark on that too?

e:Or does it not count, because it's a completely different type of product?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Probably!

Posting on 42x2

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I actually was when I thought it was going to be a coop cheesefest modern dogfighting spaceship game.

But it's actually none of those things so

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

alf_pogs posted:

can someone get branson back in here to debate moma

You want *another* meltdown?

Just enjoy the double-meaning-of-life page, fool.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
FULL BURN 42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

btw that video only has 11K views, I'm guessing we're like 70% of them :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of Squadron 42 Call of Duty...

quote:

Call of Duty has a rich history of bringing in actors who lend their likeness and voices to the campaigns, like Kevin Spacey in Advance Warfare. What acting talent will Infinite Warfare feature?

Kurosaki: We’re not really talking specifically about who is in the game right now, but what I can tell you is that we’ve talked about Brian Bloom (Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dragon Age: Inquisition). Brian Bloom is the actor portraying Commander Nick Reyes and Brian is a veteran screen actor as well as in a lot of other games. He’s also one of the writers for Infinite Warfare, which is important to us. Brian has worked on both Ridley and Tony Scott’s films, penned the A-Team movie, and consulted on many games. So he’s the one talent we’re talking about but what I can say is that the rest of our cast are all very well-known movie and television actors who are all on your favorite HBO and Showtime shows – things of that nature – and films as well.

One of our big advantages is that we do work in Los Angeles where the vast majority of the Hollywood talent is, so we don’t have to shoot over the course of two weeks. What we can do is have our shooting schedule mirror that of a feature film or like a high-end Netflix episodic television series, because we have access to these actors. And we think that nets a much better narrative fidelity working with actors of this caliber alongside our Navy SEAL advisers and things like that on set.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Danakir posted:

I'll be positively shocked if their 'dynamic revolutionary AI' ends up as anything more than a basement bargain version of what was found in Oblivion. If that. (Actually I'm just having a laugh, cause that implies the PU is ever coming out. Silly me.)

"I saw a Vanduul the other day, awful creatures"

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Are we still on page 4242?

If so, I'd like to thank everybody for their tremendous contribution to irrelevant comedy forums everywhere. And Chris Roberts, without whom none of this would be possible.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tank Boy Ken posted:

nice Photoshop.

No, no. That is Toast, really.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

If HBS wanted to offer mechs prior to release in exchange for a pledge amount, I would be ok with that.

So would most everyone. PGI did that and it was fine because they actually, you know, made a game.

I mean, they had the reverse problem of Roberts in that they have basically zero creative vision, but they actually did deliver something that mostly worked that you could use said mechs in and have fun.

And Mechwarrior Online is what you'd get if CiG went 'gently caress it, lets just develop Arena Commander out into a playable arena PvP game' and that would probably be the best loving thing that they could do right now in terms of actually delivering a working product but never mind.

Of course, all those muppets that bought science and hauling ships would be pissed but lol

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MedicineHut posted:

No, no. That is Toast, really.

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008