Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Section Z posted:

Well that certainly makes me feel like a dumbass for killing all the Zed's sneaky style with the Fork first :shepface:

That too. Curse you people actually GOOD at this game :argh:

I'm not actually good at the game which is why I tried to do that in the first place :) I remember when weapons with ballistic trajectories were first added to the game in early access, and I spent a while blowing myself up firing mortars while retreating. Arcing weapons inherit quite a bit of momentum from your machine's movement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I really really enjoy the way enemies remember what you do.

You get nice moments like an enemy tank rolling into a smoke cloud firing wildly while you're already circling around to jump him from behind, or, just now, I was spotted by a Julius on Railyard in my Fork, so I take a left, punch camo, pull a 180 and run the other way. Julius rounds the corner already pre-aimed the way he saw me go, but I'm in the other direction and just unload in his back. Confessor/Disco together provide enough stun that the Julius can't turn around before he dies :commissar:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

A UI inconsistency I've seen catch multiple new players: In the Acquisitions menu you can double click to buy something, but not in the Freelance menu. They'll go to acquisitions first, buy things, go to freelance, and then wonder why they can't buy things they have money for.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Section Z posted:

That too. Curse you people actually GOOD at this game :argh:
In practice, I am the Touro pilot that the Fork description is making fun of. I've basically already plateaued in my grasp of this combination of controls and perspective, and past experience tells me this plateau goes on for a very long time.

The trick is that this does not limit me to thinking like a Touro pilot.

Psykmoe posted:

I really really enjoy the way enemies remember what you do.
I believe this is a Last Known Position type system at work. Not something I'd normally expect to see in a mech game but the results speak for themselves.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have been messing around with the mortar-type weapons lately. I like almost all of them except for the metronome, faker, and scimitar. If the scimitar fired at the same speed and trajectory that the gutterball did I would definitely want to use it as a shotgun-style alternative to the gutterball, but as it is right now I feel that the shots are too slow and don't pay off as well as other mortars. The metronome and faker are not very good in my opinion, they are both outclassed by other options.

Harvester is a loving beast and I love it, same with the ploughman (except the ploughman fucks me by destroying all of the ammo drops). My fave is still the gutterball and I wish there were other mortars that fired in low arcs, maybe a rocket gun or something that flies low and fast but has more of an arc than the pitbull, like that really big rocket gun that the corvids use on their heavyweight units but with a little more of an arc. Really though I just want that rocket gun.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm a bit jealous that the Corvids seem to have a Pitbull-esque rocket launcher for every mount size, or at least Aux and Heavy, too. :v:

As for mortars, I'm awful with them, I only accept the Gutterball because it's the only one that lets you shotgun people up close instead of just arcing mega high at close targets.

Ploughman and Chuffer are pretty good but due to the ammo destruction issue you'll probably want to pair with something equally efficient.

Edit: Did the Solo Nobre run in a Fork with Confessor/Disco/Camo on difficulty 8. Pretty conventional loudout, but it works really well for me. The Confessor hits hard enough to assassinate unaware targets like certain Spacer mechs with high shields, but fires quickly enough to be spammable in a moving fight. Disco is hitscan, strips shields, and has a pretty solid stun to it if you stay on target, so you can kind of stunlock high health ultraheavy Corvid units and buffet their agravs off course. It's always useful and pairs well with just about any other gun. Well, not another shield-buster.

Honestly the biggest danger to me were Pompadours, they have the easiest time getting a big gun to bear on my Fork of any enemy and they have just enough hull hp to make me notice the Disco's bad hull damage rating. I am bad at nailing fast agravs with the big gun and the Pompadour doesn't even have the good grace to be oneshot by the Confessor if it has its miniscule shield up. Getting hit by a lucky Abbot shot is bad. Dragon tanks can also be somewhat concerning depending on the map. Their top speed is respectable and their turret swings around quicker than a heavy mech torso even if you're nailing them with both guns

I got pretty lucky though, didn't get the gently caress you spawn locations on West End Slums/Ranchos Velhos/Gasworks, so I only ended up losing real health on Waste Outflow Watershed. Normally I appreciate the fact that Corvids don't form a giant death-ball somewhere like Spacers, but on a wide open map like that it's to my detriment. Guess I'll see how high I can go with the difficulty in a dinky little toy mech like the Fork since I finally unlocked a pilot that goes up to MAX, but on some maps I'm honestly already struggling in the 9-10 range.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 18, 2016

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Psykmoe posted:

I'm a bit jealous that the Corvids seem to have a Pitbull-esque rocket launcher for every mount size, or at least Aux and Heavy, too. :v:

As for mortars, I'm awful with them, I only accept the Gutterball because it's the only one that lets you shotgun people up close instead of just arcing mega high at close targets.

Ploughman and Chuffer are pretty good but due to the ammo destruction issue you'll probably want to pair with something equally efficient.

Edit: Did the Solo Nobre run in a Fork with Confessor/Disco/Camo on difficulty 8. Pretty conventional loudout, but it works really well for me. The Confessor hits hard enough to assassinate unaware targets like certain Spacer mechs with high shields, but fires quickly enough to be spammable in a moving fight. Disco is hitscan, strips shields, and has a pretty solid stun to it if you stay on target, so you can kind of stunlock high health ultraheavy Corvid units and buffet their agravs off course. It's always useful and pairs well with just about any other gun. Well, not another shield-buster.

Honestly the biggest danger to me were Pompadours, they have the easiest time getting a big gun to bear on my Fork of any enemy and they have just enough hull hp to make me notice the Disco's bad hull damage rating. I am bad at nailing fast agravs with the big gun and the Pompadour doesn't even have the good grace to be oneshot by the Confessor if it has its miniscule shield up. Getting hit by a lucky Abbot shot is bad. Dragon tanks can also be somewhat concerning depending on the map. Their top speed is respectable and their turret swings around quicker than a heavy mech torso even if you're nailing them with both guns

I got pretty lucky though, didn't get the gently caress you spawn locations on West End Slums/Ranchos Velhos/Gasworks, so I only ended up losing real health on Waste Outflow Watershed. Normally I appreciate the fact that Corvids don't form a giant death-ball somewhere like Spacers, but on a wide open map like that it's to my detriment. Guess I'll see how high I can go with the difficulty in a dinky little toy mech like the Fork since I finally unlocked a pilot that goes up to MAX, but on some maps I'm honestly already struggling in the 9-10 range.

Good comments, once I'm off the touring circuit and not begging for press I'll be able to concentrate on gameplay. I know some f the guns are just a bit poo poo right now, and that there's still a lot wack with the game and no loyalists in free play. But we'll get there.

In the mean time, this was a nice way to wake up:
https://youtu.be/OrhnvWe8Fe4

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

anthony patch posted:

Good comments, once I'm off the touring circuit and not begging for press I'll be able to concentrate on gameplay. I know some f the guns are just a bit poo poo right now, and that there's still a lot wack with the game and no loyalists in free play. But we'll get there.

In the mean time, this was a nice way to wake up:
https://youtu.be/OrhnvWe8Fe4

Don't mind me, I just tend to ramble on about things I enjoy. I'm having a great time playing the game. I don't tend to make balance suggestions because I'm not that good at video games, generally. A lot of guns I can't credibly call bad because I haven't tried very hard to make them work. But I guess I got some impressions.

Parliament seems kind of lame unless I can sneak up on something, and the Confessor is really quite serviceable in that scenario, while also working if I have a favorable angle of attack but am at a distance where the Parliament doesn't do much good.

I guess if I'm looking at vaguely shotgunnish weapons the Parliament seems to compare worse to the competition in the same slot. It's harder to use vs darting targets than most of the other options and I don't find its total damage that compelling paired with its reload time. It doesn't help that a lot of vehicles need their turret slot to deal with small fry, quick targets, and the Preacher only usefully outperforms the Mae Dois or Disco/Bully at this as very close ranges. So even if I play a turret/turret vehicle and want something punchier on the main fire button, I'll usually go with the Confessor. I don't even like the Crambo but at least it reloads in a third of the time and brings more shield-destroying power, which is generally useful.

The Broiler in the auxiliary slot has a similar problem but is easier to use. Hitscan and favorable damage ratings. Reloads a bit quicker than the Parliament too. Still, there are many attractive guns in Auxiliary, both when I want a primary gun or a backup, so that I'm rarely tempted to go with the Broiler. if I want an Auxiliary slot weapon that's hitscan, the Galinha is right there. The Belter is also very good - it seems generic but it delivers higher stun and isn't as weak to shields as the smaller Mae Dois.

The Archie (I'm reaching a bit by lumping it in here) isn't a great primary armament, but I feel it pairs very well with other Main or Heavy guns because it counters darting targets extremely well, and it's easy to use because it's practically hitscan as well. On top of that, it reloads in only 0.5 seconds. On the whole, I find this gun very good at what it does, I just think the other mount needs to bring sufficient reach and hull damage to the equation to complement the Archie.

The Heavy 88 doesn't get a lot of talk but I feel its sheer damage, stun and number of projectiles makes it a very viable primary weapon, I'll have to try this further. It's a little overshadowed by the Bishop, Kraken and Otomo, because those are all really flashy in their own ways. (Aoe, penetration, visuals/damage, respectively). Also, it only takes like 0.1 second longer to reload than the Parliament. I'm not saying nerf the 88's reload, but I was used to the Abbot family getting faster reloading as they shrink. The Bishop takes forever to reload, the Confessor fires nearly as quickly as the Duchess in the main mount.

Really, those are just me fumbling about with non-conventional guns. I've given up on explosive mortars because I am bad at them (chemical projectors are cool), and I don't think anyone was really wondering if the generic HE guns and various machineguns or rapid-fire lasers are any good (although I find the complete absence of stun on the Thunderclap unfortunate), so I'm kind of stuck on trying these shotguns/range-limited options. When I want to do well, Abbot/Mae Dois or Confessor/Disco is always there for me.

On another note, I really wasn't giving the Belter enough credit. That stun upgrade over the Mae Dois is really useful. A dual-Aux vehicle like the Chook rocking two Belters can literally force enemy mechs to walk backwards from the impacts :v:

And grats on getting some more attention. Here's hoping for more!

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Finally beat Knife Chase. Came and went like a whisper. :kingsley:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I loved Urban Strike and Desert Strike. My skill level at action games is pretty mediocre. Should I buy this Y/N?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I think the biggest knock against Brigador in reviews has been basically that it controls differently enough from what people are used to that their skill at action games doesn't translate, everybody blunders around like a drunk toddler at first. So it's kind of an even playing field, you won't necessarily be any worse off than anybody else.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ayn Marx posted:

I loved Urban Strike and Desert Strike. My skill level at action games is pretty mediocre. Should I buy this Y/N?

yes

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I will say, although I don't dislike the control scheme, I do wonder why it was chosen.

I don't see what it adds to the game except an additional skill-barrier; and not even in the "easy to learn, hard to master" sense -- it's just a straight up obstacle for new players, especially people who've never encountered the style before. I mean, I assume the devs tried the twin-stick style and discarded it for a reason, but I'm curious what that was...

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

I will say, although I don't dislike the control scheme, I do wonder why it was chosen.

I don't see what it adds to the game except an additional skill-barrier; and not even in the "easy to learn, hard to master" sense -- it's just a straight up obstacle for new players, especially people who've never encountered the style before. I mean, I assume the devs tried the twin-stick style and discarded it for a reason, but I'm curious what that was...

If they switched to a shrimp based control scheme you would blame it on croissants.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

The_White_Crane posted:

try playing as a tank and it suddenly all makes sense. also it turns out mechs are tanks with legs.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I must just have a gigantic crater in my gaming experience because the controls made immediate sense to me.

What experiences did I miss in the last 20 years that should have so hardened me against instinctively being able to control my vehicle body with the keyboard and the aimpoint with my mouse?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Psykmoe posted:

I must just have a gigantic crater in my gaming experience because the controls made immediate sense to me.

What experiences did I miss in the last 20 years that should have so hardened me against instinctively being able to control my vehicle body with the keyboard and the aimpoint with my mouse?

Geometry Wars and its endless progeny happened.

If you gave Brigador a control scheme with the left stick pointing your vehicle in an absolute direction you'd still need separate buttons for forward and reverse because of how important directional damage is, and then you're back to a nonstandard scheme again.

Devs,you may want to give some notice to the player when the game is slowing down because of framerate issues. I was just watching someone streaming who got confused when the game momentarily ran at full speed because they'd been playing in slow-mo the whole time prior to that with no idea anything was wrong.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 18, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Tactical detail and granularity of control is what I think it comes down to. I called the game "surprisingly simulationist" over in Casual LP: It models so many things like alert states, line of sight, elevation, sound footprints, last known position, shot trajectory and penetration, track/leg and turret/torso traverse rates and arc limitations, forward/reverse speeds, directional damage, etc. The direction you face and whether you are going forwards or backwards are things that matter.

A Killdozer can do a fighting retreat by keeping that giant murder blade pointed at the enemy for damage resistance, but it's going to be slow as molasses and can be overrun by fast skirmishers. Or it can do a 180 and get the gently caress out at the risk of taking full damage shots to the rear end while being unable to return fire since its guns can't point backwards. The decision does come up and does matter.

Such granularity is lost with a purely "just GO in the direction I push towards" stick control. Does the vehicle always go front end first? Does it use whatever end is closest to the desired direction? Does it do a stationary turn or a driving turn?
The granularity is an essential part of the experience and mastery of Brigador, and to maintain it with stick control, you're looking at throwing on modifiers. One already exists: orient along turret. Which would work in situations like the Killdozer example where it's essentially moving along its own firing path, but breaks down if you want to do a perpendicular strafe - a situation where you then have to decide whether you want to back up with your reduced reverse speed, or turn 180 to use your faster forward speed, and if you do turn, which direction you rotate in (matters more for tanks than mechs due to which component directional damage applies to - again, more details, more decision making).
But as Internet Friend has pointed out, once you're throwing in modifiers to the stick controls, we're back in nonstandard territory again. Meanwhile, tank controls are essentially a standard scheme, just not as much in the perspective Brigador uses.

Psykmoe posted:

Yeah but you're Teutonic Tank Man.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
FWIW I'm pretty sure I'd have way less interest in this game if it controlled like a regular old twin stick shooter.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mordja posted:

FWIW I'm pretty sure I'd have way less interest in this game if it controlled like a regular old twin stick shooter.

I originally couldn't handle it without gamepad support but after figuring out how the controls work I wouldn't want to go back

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Internet Friend posted:

Devs,you may want to give some notice to the player when the game is slowing down because of framerate issues. I was just watching someone streaming who got confused when the game momentarily ran at full speed because they'd been playing in slow-mo the whole time prior to that with no idea anything was wrong.

like how in crysis whenever the game dips below 30fps a nvidia exec rappels down from a blackhawk to tell you about their exciting new pascal architecture.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

(matters more for tanks than mechs due to which component directional damage applies to - again, more details, more decision making).

Wait, I thought directional damage applied to the hull/legs for tanks and mechs both, and not to the turret/torso?

Fish Noise posted:

Yeah but you're Teutonic Tank Man.
Oh god, am i playing top-down world of tanks :gifttank::negative: i thought i escaped

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 18, 2016

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This gets compared to Mech Warrior and LA Cop and Crusader a lot but It just hit me that it controls just like Return Fire, a game I played so loving much as a kid.

The_White_Crane posted:

you do realize that the mouse aim is crucial for the elevation and distance of your weapons aim, right?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 19, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I used to hate the Swordfish but I was bad at the game then. I now love the Swordfish, it's the most fun I've had playing this game and I've had a lot of fun with the game so far.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I used to hate the Swordfish but I was bad at the game then. I now love the Swordfish, it's the most fun I've had playing this game and I've had a lot of fun with the game so far.

Swordfish is so nice that it's the only playable vehicle to get a Nerf since launch :v:

Funny enough I usually prefer the somewhat slower A Gravs. Low turn speed makes it a bitch to track smaller targets, but fast MOVE speed means my aim is making micro adjustments so often it throws me, off compared to a more stable mech or tank (I have a lot of fun with the Prism, on that note. It's no Huss, but it turns faster and is still heavily armed).

Part of my soft spot for the Pomp. I tend to crash and burn on my first proper mistake made in it, but it's the only A Grav with a combo of BIG gun and Turret.

Also, HUGE realization about the Buckler. "Why does this A Grav have a chassis turn speed?" The Buckler actually has some weapon traverse :aaa: Which made me love it a lot more. Just one more reason it's a great choice for the default A Grav unlock.

But the only way for me to really tell for sure was to hit the orientation lock and see my guns still had wiggle room, unlike everything else I have tried it on so far. The way hovers work, you'd overlook it unless you were, well, looking for it. But now I know why it felt like something was missing on the Prism.

If you put some more overt note about that perk for the Buckler, I'm sure more players would go back to it sometimes after unlocking more heavily armed or faster A Gravs. It also makes the Orientation lock a hell of a lot more useful for strafe dodging while still hitting my targets.

EDIT: Hoping sometime for more lasers in the AUX slot. Their only "Great Vs Shields" weapons are a mortar, and the laser SHOTGUN. Which while sweet (Buckler's fast enough to survive alternating fire with it, but that leaves you out of luck for scenery), is nowhere near as practical at sweeping up multiple small units, shielded or unshielded.

Bonus Edit: And dual broilers also means not just watching your single broiler shot leave a spacer kamikaze still with a sliver of shields because of how tiny it is... Broiler is super iffy at killing power suits and more compact "tread bike tanks" and a gravs even without shields just due to their size, really. lots of 99% health lost shots between outright killing them and the one behind them if you get it just right.

Broiler is much more fun if I have something that isn't super wasteful to follow up with in those circumstances. It's VERY good at what it does, but you really want to be able to handle when it's "Almost, but not quite".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 19, 2016

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Freelance with Precursor James(the MAXIMUM DIFFICULTY skeleman) is the only way I can play the game at this point, maybe the only way the game should be played

Previously every run for me has just been a battle against attrition & boredom with my weapon loadout/vehicle choice, but with every map being so hard fought it all fades into a test of my mastery of the game mechanics. It's the most fun I've ever had with a stompy robot game, just completed a linear solo nobre run with a broodmare running the 88 & banshee

I think Corvids need a buff though, and I can't wait for loyalists to pop up in freelance campaigns!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

If you put some more overt note about that perk for the Buckler, I'm sure more players would go back to it sometimes after unlocking more heavily armed or faster A Gravs. It also makes the Orientation lock a hell of a lot more useful for strafe dodging while still hitting my targets.

EDIT: Hoping sometime for more lasers in the AUX slot. Their only "Great Vs Shields" weapons are a mortar, and the laser SHOTGUN. Which while sweet (Buckler's fast enough to survive alternating fire with it, but that leaves you out of luck for scenery), is nowhere near as practical at sweeping up multiple small units, shielded or unshielded.

I generally just make do with the Galinha. It's not technically a laser, but it uses red ammo and is hitscan, so it handles similarly to the Disco, and 3 stars vs shields is generally workable, if not amazing. I'm not a huge fan of the Broiler myself, but Auxiliary is the first slot with a machinegun that doesn't totally suck against shields (Belter) so I generally feel okay about my options. I used to be annoyed that there wasn't a true laser in Aux, but the Galinha is pretty likeable in its own way with its ability to shoot through buildings and walls.

I'd still be all over upscaled versions of the Disco, though.

While we're doing "I wish" things, I wish there was a fast mech with an Aux/turret loadout playable. The Doric is fun enough but no faster than a Touro. Something between a Chook and a Fork would be nice. The Marlowe in the intel file is described as being built around the Galinha, but it doesn't mention what the back-up mount is.

Marcus Garvey posted:

maybe the only way the game should be played

While I also aspire to playing on MAX difficulty (have been too busy to grind out the money to unlock the last couple of pilots), I don't expect my enjoyment to become enriched further by making Precursor James the only option anyone can chose. Knowing that lesser difficulties are an option for players who want them does not currently diminish my own experience.

Edit: My love affair with the Fork continues. The Confessor/Disco/Camo loadout has done everything I need it to do, on level 9, anyway. I guess next Solo Nobre run I'll take a crack at 10-MAX or 11-MAX.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 19, 2016

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Has anyone had any luck trying this with a PS4 or 360 controller? It feels like the tank controls and different armaments would be perfect for it

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Psykmoe posted:

I'd still be all over upscaled versions of the Disco, though.

While we're doing "I wish" things, I wish there was a fast mech with an Aux/turret loadout playable. The Doric is fun enough but no faster than a Touro. Something between a Chook and a Fork would be nice. The Marlowe in the intel file is described as being built around the Galinha, but it doesn't mention what the back-up mount is.

I would love to drive the Mantis and Broadsword and the Moray. So many cool things.

Edit: And the Dorothy, I like that adorable street-cone looking fucker.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Joy Bus/Hell Ride is still kicking my rear end, is there a trick I'm missing here or do I just got to keep trying?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I still haven't done every campaign loadout yet so I went and took the short bus. Toughest part is not getting trapped on the way to the ammo depots. Chances are you'll need to alert a few bombuchas blocking the way and to a big loop back around to get through. Basically the name of the game is not getting stuck on terrain.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Joy Bus/Hell Ride is still kicking my rear end, is there a trick I'm missing here or do I just got to keep trying?
You want the "normal" way or the "ahahahahahaha holy poo poo that actually worked" way?

In general, Bombuchas are tough and persistent but slow and wobbly. They're not so great at sharp turns. All your vehicle options are maneuverable enough to kite them in a circle and buy you time to think. It is also possible to do really close-in evasion but you best be good.

Normal: Focus on piloting and evading the bombuchas. Your first hurdle is getting past a double-barrier of trains while Bombuchas are pursuing and a spotter-captain Citadel is nearby. Kite the Bombuchas in circles while slamming the first train wall each pass, be careful not to get within laser range of that Citadel. Once you can get through, slamspam to get past the second train wall. A turret and more Bombuchas await you. The turret doesn't have a good shot on the further half of the level so move past that quickly and get your evasion on. There will be a narrow passage with a Bombucha in it. Bait that out to stack it on the other Bombuchas before proceeding - it's probably possible to squeeze past but I'm not that good. Beyond that you have the ammo towers. Reload on the move, it can take a few passes. Once you're armed up, get your murder on.

Ahahahahahaha: Kite the Bombuchas in a circle in front of the Citadel, using the Citadel's friendly fire to kill the Bombuchas. Again, mind the laser. Once that's dealt with, wide circle around the Citadel until you're out of its laser arc, move in and melee. Watch out for it firing mortars straight up, if you're damaged or on a fragile vehicle you may want to disengage when those come down.

The Holy poo poo way is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say I don't have to think like a Touro pilot. "I need guns to deal with this. ....or do I?"

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 19, 2016

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Fish Noise posted:

You want the "normal" way or the "ahahahahahaha holy poo poo that actually worked" way?

In general, Bombuchas are tough and persistent but slow and wobbly. They're not so great at sharp turns. All your vehicle options are maneuverable enough to kite them in a circle and buy you time to think. It is also possible to do really close-in evasion but you best be good.

Normal: Focus on piloting and evading the bombuchas. Your first hurdle is getting past a double-barrier of trains while Bombuchas are pursuing and a spotter-captain Citadel is nearby. Kite the Bombuchas in circles while slamming the first train wall each pass, be careful not to get within laser range of that Citadel. Once you can get through, slamspam to get past the second train wall. A turret and more Bombuchas await you. The turret doesn't have a good shot on the further half of the level so move past that quickly and get your evasion on. There will be a narrow passage with a Bombucha in it. Bait that out to stack it on the other Bombuchas before proceeding - it's probably possible to squeeze past but I'm not that good. Beyond that you have the ammo towers. Reload on the move, it can take a few passes. Once you're armed up, get your murder on.

Ahahahahahaha: Kite the Bombuchas in a circle in front of the Citadel, using the Citadel's friendly fire to kill the Bombuchas. Again, mind the laser. Once that's dealt with, wide circle around the Citadel until you're out of its laser arc, move in and melee. Watch out for it firing mortars straight up, if you're damaged or on a fragile vehicle you may want to disengage when those come down.

The Holy poo poo way is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say I don't have to think like a Touro pilot. "I need guns to deal with this. ....or do I?"

I got within a sliver of health of completing that mission the crazy way one of the first times I did it because I was a dumb dumb and forgot that slamming near terrain would break it. Yeah, I'm pretty smart sometimes. I've still yet to go back and finish it with the rest of the loadouts but it is an awesome mission that is pretty unique in my experiences.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Sometimes, forgetting the part of the equation that is not strictly necessary only serves to improve your capacity to solve the arithmetic of violence.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fish Noise posted:

To add to this there's lots of environmental explosives in the back half of the level, and it's super easy to get the Bombuchas bunched up around them to take many of them out with little ammo. I found this especially helpful with the Pompadour because it's rocket ammo goes quick.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Joy bus/Hell ride map was definitely conceived to be played with the Pomp. Fork is hard mode, although also sort of the Shortbus on that level since it's a bit slower.

SPOILERS if you havent unlocked all the pilots, but here is a gallery of uncropped pilot portraits from the game with a little process breakdown.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d9DXQ

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
._. I hadn't seen Allard yet....

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I managed to beat Full Linear Solo Nobre with the 10-MAX pilot in the Fork. The second to last map before Spaceport is Waste Outflow Watershed, which is a mite crowded with Corvids at that difficulty, but I managed.

I also did not get the worst possible starting locations on Ranchos Velhos, West End Slums and Gasworks Turnpike, all of which I find very difficult in a fast and fragile unit coming from the wrong direction at difficulties of 8 or higher.

Still, love the fast, skirmishy playstyle. Since the Fork has a 2.0 vehicle modifier, the money isn't bad either :v:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

gauss posted:

Joy bus/Hell ride map was definitely conceived to be played with the Pomp. Fork is hard mode, although also sort of the Shortbus on that level since it's a bit slower.

SPOILERS if you havent unlocked all the pilots, but here is a gallery of uncropped pilot portraits from the game with a little process breakdown.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d9DXQ
Have you guys considered making an artbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This is one of the coolest games I've played. I've done all the campaign mission load outs except a few of the very last ones.

It has a few problems though. If it was just agravs and they had absolute movement controls it would be a lot easier to play. Mechs not being able to strafe even a little also just feels wrong. The aiming is also too hard because of the isometric view and number of obstacles. A completely predictive aim reticle kind of like the one in the Men of War games would help playability a lot.

The AI also needs work. It's too easy to exploit by shooting the ground so that only a few enemies come to you. I think it would work better if all nearby enemies were also alerted, but only to the impact location (and not your exact position like it does now).