Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Are there really that many bad ones? I think most open world games are kinda fun.

I think Watch_Dogs squandered a lot of goodwill toward open world games by promising the moon, and then making GBS threads on our lawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is this the first zelda game where when you get low on hearts you aren't going to hear

BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because I'd love for that to be one of the things the new devs got rid of.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is this the first zelda game where when you get low on hearts you aren't going to hear

BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because I'd love for that to be one of the things the new devs got rid of.

There is a "one heart alert", but it is way more subdued.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Watch_Dogs squandered a lot of goodwill toward open world games by promising the moon, and then making GBS threads on our lawns.

Honestly that is on people expecting too much. I kinda knew that it'd be exactly what it was, except I did expect it to look maybe a tad better than what it did, but I wasn't hugely disappointed.

Except that I expected to play as a hacker, not an autistic uncle working part-time IT thinking he is batman and getting involved in underground like a retard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mordaedil posted:

Honestly that is on people expecting too much. I kinda knew that it'd be exactly what it was, except I did expect it to look maybe a tad better than what it did, but I wasn't hugely disappointed.

Except that I expected to play as a hacker, not an autistic uncle working part-time IT thinking he is batman and getting involved in underground like a retard.

Yeah, the crappy characters and jumbled plot sunk it more than the bland open world. It's to be expected given how many scripts were blended to make it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

chaos rhames posted:

Be careful about imagining potential, you'll overhype it and not enjoy the game as much as you would.

this never happens to me with zelda*
*i never played skyward sword

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got really excited for Zelda so I finally got windwaker HD. Game aged great, looks like it could have just come out as a new game.

Then I looked at trailers for Twilight Princess HD and holy poo poo that looks terrible. The art style REALLY did them some favors

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Since everyone's talkin about playin the old games, is it worth it to blow money on the 3DS Ocarina of Time?
I got Majora 3DS because I forgot about many things in the 64 version and enjoyed that, but I think OOT is burnt into my memory. Master Quest less so.
If it's not worth it, I can always play hero mode ALBW or something. It's not too big a deal.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wind Waker's art style was, no joke, the most recent revolutionary change for the Zelda series and an improvement in every conceivable way

Not gonna lie, I'd prefer Breath of the Wild to be closer to TWW style, but it already looks MUCH better than SS or TP - the goblins actually have a very distinct charm again :haw:
Love this. Can't wait for first impressions of boss fights + towns.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got really excited for Zelda so I finally got windwaker HD. Game aged great, looks like it could have just come out as a new game.

Then I looked at trailers for Twilight Princess HD and holy poo poo that looks terrible. The art style REALLY did them some favors

I was going to say, I finally got wind waker myself (14 years late. The last console Zelda I played was Majoras Mask) and want to say, while I hated the look of WW on GameCube, it looks amazing in HD. If you haven't tried WW in HD I wouldn't knock the look of BotW, going to be great.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I would absolutely recommend OoT 3DS. The game's still quite fun, and gains quite a bit in being a portable timewaster.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:3: I have to find a Wolf Link Amiibo now

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks that's all I needed to hear to feed my impulsive nostalgia.
Ugh. Fall can't come soon enough so the NX press cycle can really start up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Love this. Can't wait for first impressions of boss fights + towns.

I really hope BotW maintains the tradition of NPCs in Zelda games being weird as gently caress.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

:3: I have to find a Wolf Link Amiibo now

Bought a collectors edition just for this. I might remind myself of why I liked Twilight Princess at the same time, because I didn't think it was more terrible than Ocarina of Time. Heck, I put it after A Link to the Past as favorite Zeldas.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really hope BotW maintains the tradition of NPCs in Zelda games being weird as gently caress.

I hope you continue to meet weirdos in the most remote parts of the wildernis who do their own thing, like the awesome telescope dudes in TWW, or the various NPCs from Windfall Island who had their day jobs all over the map and returned to Windfall for getting drunk at night.

Did they say how they're going to handle towns? Will those be separate areas, or are they part of the overall world map? Because if they're integrated into the overworld, by the gods, I will find a way to kite an ancient robot of mass destruction right into the middle of it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Erata posted:

Since everyone's talkin about playin the old games, is it worth it to blow money on the 3DS Ocarina of Time?
I got Majora 3DS because I forgot about many things in the 64 version and enjoyed that, but I think OOT is burnt into my memory. Master Quest less so.
If it's not worth it, I can always play hero mode ALBW or something. It's not too big a deal.
OoT has aged really poorly and the 3DS version does a LOT for making it playable in in the present, so I think it's worth getting for that alone.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

OoT 3d is extremely good, but hero mode albw is cool too.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

OoT has aged really poorly and the 3DS version does a LOT for making it playable in in the present, so I think it's worth getting for that alone.

I think it's still playable!!! :corsair:

It's downloading though, so I'll have more gamin comfort food.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Mordaedil posted:

Bought a collectors edition just for this. I might remind myself of why I liked Twilight Princess at the same time, because I didn't think it was more terrible than Ocarina of Time. Heck, I put it after A Link to the Past as favorite Zeldas.

Lots of people are saying they are buying the collectors edition to get wolf link, which is making me slightly paranoid that the amiibo itself which I just bought off ebay won't be the right thing for some reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davoren posted:

Lots of people are saying they are buying the collectors edition to get wolf link, which is making me slightly paranoid that the amiibo itself which I just bought off ebay won't be the right thing for some reason.

As long as it's a legit amiibo, it'll work just fine

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

I did that just because I wanted the amiibo and because I figured why not also get the game as both are the price of a steal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Davoren posted:

The amiibo will be fine but the amiibo functionality in the new game uses data from TPHD to buff the wolf, so if you don't also use the amiibo with TPHD then your wolf will be capped at three hearts.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Ah yeah, I already own TP, but I haven't been an amiibo guy until now so I only had the regular version, and screw buying the game again. It says it's new, I was just concerned as I was starting to suspect you couldn't get the amiibo outside of the collectors edition, but I guess I'll find out.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Jonas Albrecht posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The amiibo will be fine but the amiibo functionality in the new game uses data from TPHD to buff the wolf, so if you don't also use the amiibo with TPHD then your wolf will be capped at three hearts.

I'm so ready to run around with my dog grandpa from another timeline who's five times as durable as me. :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Perfect timing

Quoting this cause I'm catching up on the thread.

Can we just put all these new programmers to work on a Metroid game after this? :allears:

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I'm so loving excited for this game. I thought that I would never get to play a new Zelda game again because I'm a grown-rear end adult who shouldn't blow hundreds of dollars on new video game systems.

Then I remembered that I'm having a son in September, and Nintendo is the god-king of consoles for kids. That means I get to buy a Nintendo NX for my son (read: me).

gently caress. Yeah.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

I hope you continue to meet weirdos in the most remote parts of the wildernis who do their own thing, like the awesome telescope dudes in TWW, or the various NPCs from Windfall Island who had their day jobs all over the map and returned to Windfall for getting drunk at night.

Did they say how they're going to handle towns? Will those be separate areas, or are they part of the overall world map? Because if they're integrated into the overworld, by the gods, I will find a way to kite an ancient robot of mass destruction right into the middle of it

I doubt they'll go full on Bethesda and let you slaughter towns for fun or let random monsters kill them all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Can we just put all these new programmers to work on a Metroid game after this? :allears:

If Nintendo can do for Metroid what it looks like they're doing for Zelda it'll be the best drat thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

If Nintendo can do for Metroid what it looks like they're doing for Zelda it'll be the best drat thing.

I just have this image of Sakurai trying to step in to share notes with the newer programmers, only to be quietly herded out by Miyamoto.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Infinitum posted:

No we can put something called Retro goddamn studios on a Metroid game.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
BoTW is giving me the same feeling I had seeing articles and Space World screenshots of Zelda 64 back in the day. This idea of an expansive, sprawling world to get lost in is finally a reality!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mordaedil posted:

Are there really that many bad ones? I think most open world games are kinda fun.

I don't think there are many lovely ones, but they are a lot of "meh" ones that are okay at best but mostly don't push the envelope and feel formulaic.

FWIW I don't think BotW looks to change things up terribly much (for the open world genre context, not the zelda series) other than just a lot of little polish and fun tidbits here and there. A big thing for me if it really pulls it's weight is how non-linear it is when it comes to dungeon/weapon order, which hasn't specifically been addressed I think. Not a deal breaker for the game mind you, but it would be nice to see that aspect too be super open which would feel like a bigger impact than what a lot of progression in Open World games typically feels like.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Overemotional Robot posted:

BoTW is giving me the same feeling I had seeing articles and Space World screenshots of Zelda 64 back in the day. This idea of an expansive, sprawling world to get lost in is finally a reality!

when I heard about zelda 64 I didn't know who link was, I thought zelda was the attractive girl in green you played as

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just have this image of Sakurai trying to step in to share notes with the newer programmers, only to be quietly herded out by Miyamoto.

I want a big "No Sakamotos" sign outside the door.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Geostomp posted:

Dammit, I got them mixed up :cripes:.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Little did you know it was actually F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Geostomp posted:

only one sakamoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This was from yesterday, but I like this Aonuma quote from this article:

quote:

"I've always thought that when creating a 3D game where it's easy for users to get lost, it's really important to tell the users what they need to do," Aonuma said. "But then, after creating this larger world, I realized that getting lost isn't that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun."

I'm excited for this like crazy, though Dark Souls taught me there's a good portion of people who play games who'll read a quote like that and their heart just sinks. Couple that with the apparent likelihood that people are just going to outright miss big parts of the story if they just follow the critical path without exploring and I'm guessing this is going to end up a really controversial Zelda game.