Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you want a good idea of how a Genji can move vertically watch some of Seagull's videos sometime. Dude hardly ever touches the floor, and if there is a McCree on the other side it's amazingly lucky how he never ever encounters him.

Almost as if a backflipping ninja who can triple jump and wall climb can avoid a dude who moves like he's soiled his britches.

e: Disclaimer I'm not even that good with Genji and would rather not play him most of the time, but virtually every single problem area where you're ever likely to encounter McCree there's at least 2 alternative routes around that Genji can take.

I can't help but feel that most of these "X gets shut down by Y" things would become less apparent if you actually play as Y for a while and see how X can often run circles around you.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

QuantaStarFire posted:

My question is: Why is Flashbang a stun at all? Why not just white out vision like every other video game ever? At least then it can either be used defensively so he can pull out of a bad engagement or use it to mindgame people; get flankers to blow their "Oh poo poo" buttons using FTH, then follow up with the flashbang and get them while they can't loving see anything.

Because mobility (traps/snares/ice as well as dash/sprint) and damage mitigation play a much larger role in this game than other games?

E:

Ddraig posted:

If you want a good idea of how a Genji can move vertically watch some of Seagull's videos sometime. Dude hardly ever touches the floor, and if there is a McCree on the other side it's amazingly lucky how he never ever encounters him.

Almost as if a backflipping ninja who can triple jump and wall climb can avoid a dude who moves like he's soiled his britches.

This is a great example. Genji is designed to be elusive and bouncy as hell in the horizontal and vertical planes (tracer being almost exclusively horizontally mobile since her blink doesn't go up or down) and with the way his throwing stars work he doesnt have to stay close to anyone unless he pops his ult. Sure he's dangerous up close as well as at range but McCree has a hard counter in the flashbang and the wise "low-HP highly mobile character" archetype stays outside flash range unless they know it's on cooldown and/or have the drop on an injured McCree.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 17, 2016

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Toblerone: Biker skins pale in comparison to mother loving pirates.

Is there any demographic of gamer that thinks bikers are cool?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

But two Zaryas are even better than one Zarya!

Yeah, a coordinated two Zarya push is scary as hell.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I know someone whose favourite game besides wow is the lost and damned, and favourite tv series is sons of anarchy

also, I haven't got any gold skins for torb but I'd probably go for the biker one personally

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MY ABACUS! posted:

The skin looks cool as hell, but not as cool as the pirate one because pirate beats out biker any day of the week.

e: One thing the Biker skins do have over the Pirate ones is that the turret will gain a star motif.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
personally i want a torbjorn skin with even more ikea jokes

like when he builds a turret he talks about all the spare parts he has lying around

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MY ABACUS! posted:

why do you hate full throttle

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

This is a great example. Genji is designed to be elusive and bouncy as hell in the horizontal and vertical planes (tracer being almost exclusively horizontally mobile since her blink doesn't go up or down) and with the way his throwing stars work he doesnt have to stay close to anyone unless he pops his ult. Sure he's dangerous up close as well as at range but McCree has a hard counter in the flashbang and the wise "low-HP highly mobile character" archetype stays outside flash range unless they know it's on cooldown and/or have the drop on an injured McCree.

It's too bad that map design and the existence of Widowmaker tends to ultimately funnel Genji into cramped areas and chokepoints.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

MY ABACUS! posted:

you must not have played road rash

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
mid life crisis torbjorn is cool but i really wish there were a skin called BattleBjorn.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zoness posted:

mid life crisis torbjorn is cool but i really wish there were a skin called BattleBjorn.

It would have a heads-up display that would impair your view with awesome unneeded feedback clutter.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This is too good not to share.

Or not to repost if someone shared already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can also play Baba O'Riley on the Dorado bells, I've realized.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I think Zenyatta might be my favorite hero to play, but in quick play the number of times that I actually get to play him correctly is so small it's painful.

I love his play style of sitting just behind the main fight, patching allies up where possible and making prime targets hurt with discord orbs while launching pinpoint accurate harassment is just the right combo of frantic that I enjoy, and his ult for actually pushing an objective or coming in to save the day is so rewarding, but pubs are so god drat useless that most of the time I feel like a free kill for the enemies that walk straight through the fight untouched and dump their load in my flimsy metallic rear end.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

I think Zenyatta might be my favorite hero to play, but in quick play the number of times that I actually get to play him correctly is so small it's painful.

I love his play style of sitting just behind the main fight, patching allies up where possible and making prime targets hurt with discord orbs while launching pinpoint accurate harassment is just the right combo of frantic that I enjoy, and his ult for actually pushing an objective or coming in to save the day is so rewarding, but pubs are so god drat useless that most of the time I feel like a free kill for the enemies that walk straight through the fight untouched and dump their load in my flimsy metallic rear end.

Yeah I love to play Zenyatta a good character that I'm good at and agree that pubs are the only thing holding me back from greatness.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can you seriously not gift this game to someone? Jesus, that's amazingly inept.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You gotta buy blizz bucks from Amazon and then give the codes to your friend.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Then touch them. You're a glass cannon semi-sniper DPS character who, incidentally, heals folk with a reactive ult and a fire-and-forget harmony orb. If you're quick on E--which you should be--Zen can damage race any tank except a fully charged Zarya. If people are walking straight through fights untouched then you share some of the blame for not changing your priorities quickly enough to the dude running at you.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The best feeling as Zenyatta is getting a Rein down to a sliver of health and kicking him when he puts his shield up. :getin:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Then touch them. You're a glass cannon semi-sniper DPS character who, incidentally, heals folk with a reactive ult and a fire-and-forget harmony orb. If you're quick on E--which you should be--Zen can damage race any tank except a fully charged Zarya. If people are walking straight through fights untouched then you share some of the blame for not changing your priorities quickly enough to the dude running at you.

Not sure if you mean with your team helping but Zenyatta definitely can't solo the tanks. If Winston jumps on you you're dead in less than 3 seconds, Roadhog right click will kill you in one, Reinhardt in 2 swings etc

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just had a 5 gold game on Numbani attack. My team went Reaper, Tracer, Genji, Hanzo, Widowmaker. I picked Zarya and wandered outside the spawn for a few seconds, then decided that wasn't going to work so I walked back in and picked Soldier: 76. I carried our inept team. The Genji did switch to Symmetra, though. On offense. Her first two teleporters were helpful, but I was not able to carry our team to the final victory.

Discovering that the Sym's third teleporter lead off a cliff in the final seconds of the game was the cherry on top.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I never used Whole Hog while Zarya is Going For The Tovlesteen because I didnt want to knock them out of it

my whole life has apparently been a lie

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Soothing Vapors posted:

I never used Whole Hog while Zarya is Going For The Tovlesteen because I didnt want to knock them out of it

my whole life has apparently been a lie

Please shoot into the Tovlesteen.

Everyone, when you hear your friendly Zarya telling you to fire at will, fire at will. This is a chance to wipe the other team, not a chance to fall back and leave Zarya alone on the bloody point.

/edit: also, let your friendly Zarya know when you have ult up. She'll line them up, you'll get POTG.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Everyone, when you hear your friendly Zarya telling you to fire at will, fire at will. This is a chance to wipe the other team, not a chance to fall back and leave Zarya alone on the bloody point.

in my experience, it's generally a chance to make like one hanzo or something very sad

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Manatee Cannon posted:

in my experience, it's generally a chance to make like one hanzo or something very sad

*Results may vary

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: also, let your friendly Zarya know when you have ult up. She'll line them up, you'll get POTG.

There's a tick under people's names in the score board if they have ult.

You know the most frustrating thing in the world? Seeing people with all their ults up waiting for Zarya to use hers.

It really doesn't work like that, folks. If you're waiting for that perfect opportunity you're probably going to be playing not-aggressively and if you don't play aggressively Zarya can't do her work and if Zarya can't do her work then you have loving wasted them.

Use ults when appropriate. Don't save them up for that big play or it will never come.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So Widowmaker having a silent ult is on purpose, right?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

It's not silent, you can hear a French phrase, it's not too loud though. I don't remember the phrase

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ddraig posted:

You know the most frustrating thing in the world? Seeing people with all their ults up waiting for Zarya to use hers.

It really doesn't work like that, folks. If you're waiting for that perfect opportunity you're probably going to be playing not-aggressively and if you don't play aggressively Zarya can't do her work and if Zarya can't do her work then you have loving wasted them.

Use ults when appropriate. Don't save them up for that big play or it will never come.

I don't mean saving it but if you announce it, it's easier than tabbing every few seconds to see the ult status of your team. Zarya's ult charges slowly so I'm usually a bit more careful when to use it, but if I know I have a charged Pharah behind me I'll be more likely to use it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
please put an indicator for players to show when they have just moved out of guardian angel line of sight it is infuriating on some maps

also people who don't switch off symmetra after point A might be ok but people who switch TO a second symmetra on the last point on payload probably deserve some special kind of hell

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

It's not silent, but the audio queue has a greatly decreased radius compared to, say, Deadeye. The main reason it's relatively quiet is that it would otherwise lead to a weird situation where activating Infra-Sight would actually decrease Widowmaker's effectiveness, because everyone would play super cautiously, jump after they rounded every corner, hide behind a Reinhardt shield, or just flat-out not poke their heads out of spawn until 15s have passed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shy posted:

It's not silent, you can hear a French phrase, it's not too loud though. I don't remember the phrase

something something a mon regarde

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just assumed the knockback would be stronger than the Tovlesteen for some reason. I always shoot it at least!

Ddraig posted:

The first time I learned that other people can see your ult status was when a dead Reaper who had accomplished nothing in 5 minutes started screaming at me about not rezzing him MERCY ULT I KNOW U HAVE IT

well, no. you are garbage. I am not ulting for you

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

well, no. you are garbage. I am not ulting for you

not ulting for a player who is poorly positioned is probably the best feeling as mercy

sometimes I spam my ult status as I choose not to ult them, although the point of that really is to say, maybe if you die somewhere useful, we can actually get something done

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
These are probably the ones you want to watch out for as they may not be apparant due to the limited nature and them not having incredibly flashy effects if you're not in the immediate area:

Hero: Friendly/Enemy

Widowmaker: No-one can hide from my sights/Personne n'échappe à mon regard
Reaper: Clearing the Area/DIE DIE DIE
Soldier 76: Tactical Visor activated/I've got you in my sights
Zarya: Fire at Will/I'm going for the Tobelstein (actually Ogon’ po gotovnosti but it will never not be this)
McCree: Step right up/It's High Noon

If you hear the first one, it's friendly, and you should probably support them by not blocking them with an ice wall or blocking off possible escapes or shielding them or whatever.

e: Important note for Mei, if you hear "Step Right Up", "Tactical visor activated" or "Clearing the Area" and you have an ice wall up, drop it immediately. There's a greater than zero chance it might be hurting more than it's helping and if it's down you at least have an even footing.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 17, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Zoness posted:

sometimes I spam my ult status as I choose not to ult them, although the point of that really is to say, maybe if you die somewhere useful, we can actually get something done
hahaha, gonna have to start doing that

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Practicing mercy in pubs is a good way to really get creative with guardian angel, but it's hard not to be passive aggressive with some players. It's like really amazing how much common sense some people lack, especially with regards to health packs.

Like if you are not under fire and you are being healed maybe leave the health pack there so your mercy charges her ult faster and has something to fall back on when she's under pressure, just spitballing ideas here.

I think mercy might be the single hero I have the most and least fun playing, sometimes at the same time.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 17, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

It's not silent, but the audio queue has a greatly decreased radius compared to, say, Deadeye. The main reason it's relatively quiet is that it would otherwise lead to a weird situation where activating Infra-Sight would actually decrease Widowmaker's effectiveness, because everyone would play super cautiously, jump after they rounded every corner, hide behind a Reinhardt shield, or just flat-out not poke their heads out of spawn until 15s have passed.

Being able to stop enemy momentum by hitting q sounds very effective, I don't know what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zoness posted:

Practicing mercy in pubs is a good way to really get creative with guardian angel, but it's hard not to be passive aggressive with some players. It's like really amazing how much common sense some people lack, especially with regards to health packs.

i love health packs so much