Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Golden Goat posted:

:3: I have to find a Wolf Link Amiibo now

:3: Welp. I guess it's time to finally open that Wolf Link Amiibo I got with the bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zas posted:

when I heard about zelda 64 I didn't know who link was, I thought zelda was the attractive girl in green you played as

This is correct though :confused:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Perfect timing

Holy gently caress! :eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sounds good. My dream is that their plans for Zelda carry over and we get an open world Mario game.

Like Mario 64?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Watch_Dogs squandered a lot of goodwill toward open world games by promising the moon, and then making GBS threads on our lawns.

Not just Watch_Dogs, basically every game Ubisoft makes is an open-world game that gains almost nothing from being Open World.

Farcry 3 and 4 are open world games that for no loving reason limit you to a small playable area for each mission you go on. Why in the gently caress...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing about that shield parry is that deflecting projectiles is nothing new in the Zelda series, whether you do it with your sword or shield, but that just looks so goddamn meaty and satisfying there.

That, and the timing is really tight, it looks like. That's a really fast projectile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

The thing about that shield parry is that deflecting projectiles is nothing new in the Zelda series, whether you do it with your sword or shield, but that just looks so goddamn meaty and satisfying there.

That, and the timing is really tight, it looks like. That's a really fast projectile.

Tennis with Ganondorf!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Tennis with Ganondorf!

The initial baseball phase of the Ganon fight was the best part because you could fling his fireballs back with almost any weapon. I loved that when I was 12! :3:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CrushedGAF/status/743205919048273920

aonuma: the gamepad is a car wreck

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Watch as the NX changes nothing and we get another, even bigger and clunkier gamepad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

Watch as the NX changes nothing and we get another, even bigger and clunkier gamepad.

If the Handheld theories are true, it might even have two :v:.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i mean clearly he's talking about Zelda in particular here and not the gamepad as a whole

there's plenty of circumstances where the gamepad adds a lot to a game either as a primary or a secondary screen. its just not something that works for the game they've made here

but i cant wait for everyone to take this out of context as "nintendo shits on their own system lol!!!!" for the next 20 years

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the Handheld theories are true, it might even have two :v:.

Turns out it's just a pair of google glasses.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm cool with dropping dual screens from now on, DS, 3DS and Wii U did plenty with it but ultimately I feel like the benefit's not worth the cost at this point, just give me a Wii U Pro Controller with gyro.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They should keep dual screens for the DS line I think. Displaying maps, statuses and tiny stuff like that is good to reduce screen clutter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The two screen model for Nintendo handhelds has been an absolute success. There's no way they should walk that back.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The two screen model for Nintendo handhelds has been an absolute success. There's no way they should walk that back.

I agree! It's super beneficial in games like the Legend of Zelda when they use the gamepad screen as the item menu - allowing for seamless play without really ever having to pause the game, since you can micro-manage on the go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean I like the gamepad too, but I can definitely see them losing it on future consoles. It's cool but the two screens being much more difficult to look at simultaneously really limits what you can do with it.

Handhelds don't have that problem and I can't see them releasing a future replacement for the 3DS that only has one screen.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I agree! It's super beneficial in games like the Legend of Zelda when they use the gamepad screen as the item menu - allowing for seamless play without really ever having to pause the game, since you can micro-manage on the go.

:yeah:

Majora's mask is so much better for having the second screen.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

never get rid of dual screens on the handhelds

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can. Because foldable screens will be a thing so just have one big one.

The 2DS actually has just one screen

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Just make it so that you need to plug in the NX to two TVs.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Mario 64?
Give me Mario 64 but with seamless transitions between worlds

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And not kicking you out when you complete an objective.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I think my biggest concern is not with this game specifically, but with what happens after. How are they possibly gonna top what's looking to be the definitive 3D Legend of Zelda?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cheez posted:

Yeah as much as I enjoyed Mario Galaxy, that's pretty much all I want from Mario at this point. Just Mario 64-2.

Mario 128.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really hope BotW maintains the tradition of NPCs in Zelda games being weird as gently caress.

A recent podcast, I wanna say it was either retronauts or giant bomb, cited an old Miyamoto interview where he talked about being really inspired by Twin Peaks, and he wanted Zelda NPC's to follow that model of even little oneoff characters being very quirky and memorable. I think that really shines through, even in Skyward Sword there are memorable weirdo townsfolk like all the people in the Bazaar and Beedle.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Cheez posted:

Mario 64 paintings are the original Dark Souls 2 elevator.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
30m day/night cycle on Nintendo's website.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/top.mp4

6:30 - something huge moving on the mountains??
16:30 - meteorite falls to the ground??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wanna find out what's up with that thing that climbs the volcano so bad

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:agreed: I love how there's been no acknowledgement of it from official sources at all, it's just There.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Suspicious Dish posted:

30m day/night cycle on Nintendo's website.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/top.mp4

6:30 - something huge moving on the mountains??
16:30 - meteorite falls to the ground??

drat links got some legs to just stand there in one spot for a whole day, I was expecting a "youve been standing in one space for too long" animation. Like him taking a nap.

zzzz Ahh Dodongos

zzzz Ahh Zelda

zzzz ahh Excuse me princess

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Probably a main boss.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

HighwireAct posted:

I think my biggest concern is not with this game specifically, but with what happens after. How are they possibly gonna top what's looking to be the definitive 3D Legend of Zelda?

Honestly I hope they just sit on it for awhile. Put out Zelda Maker, maybe another DS game and another remaster, let Zelda go back on the backburner.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I choose to believe it's Biggoron/his great-great-great-great-great-grandkid Biggestgoron. :colbert:

E: Scale the mountain and get the Biggestgoron's Splinter, which is twice Link's height.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

When I play I'm going to beeline for Hyrule castle and Death Mountain ASAP and get killed

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Erata posted:

Since everyone's talkin about playin the old games, is it worth it to blow money on the 3DS Ocarina of Time?
I got Majora 3DS because I forgot about many things in the 64 version and enjoyed that, but I think OOT is burnt into my memory. Master Quest less so.
If it's not worth it, I can always play hero mode ALBW or something. It's not too big a deal.

I'd say it's worth it. It's definitely the best version of the game, and once you beat it, it'll unlock the master quest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

When I play I'm going to beeline for Hyrule castle and Death Mountain ASAP and get killed

I'm going to carefully explore the plateau to find all of the available shrines and other helpful items/secrets before moving on to the nearest and most accessible area that the game points me to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a big fan of creepy smoke monster Ganon and I hope it stays a formless evil and never like coalesces onto Ganondorf or something.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Apparently there was a stampede this morning at e3 to get to the Nintendo booth to play this game. The line for the demo of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was four hours long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMRnlWf2P0

All aboard the hype train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I'm going to carefully explore the plateau to find all of the available shrines and other helpful items/secrets before moving on to the nearest and most accessible area that the game points me to.

That sounds very wise, and I admire your restraint

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Apparently there was a stampede this morning at e3 to get to the Nintendo booth to play this game. The line for the demo of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was four hours long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMRnlWf2P0

All aboard the hype train

Praise the sun dude owns