Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll be glad when this VR fad is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so does this mean we won't be getting any REmake 2 updates until TGS then?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pureauthor posted:

RE7's story writer is a dude called Richard Pearsey. It's also the first time a RE game has been written by a Western writer.

Oh, poo poo, he's the Spec Ops: The Line guy. This just got more interesting.

Aces High posted:

so does this mean we won't be getting any REmake 2 updates until TGS then?

If then. They only greenlit the thing a few months ago, didn't they?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

From what I've heard Spec Ops was some preachy bullshit, so hearing the writer from that is on board is killing my interest even further in RE7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was Harts of Darkness the videogame, I don't really know how that is preachy

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It was Harts of Darkness the videogame, I don't really know how that is preachy

Because the game mercilessly insulted and bullied the player for doing the exact things that the game gave the player no choice but to do.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turn off the game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
And from a metafiction standpoint, or a narrative standpoint, that's kind of clever and a perfectly legit option. But it's terrible game design. The writer of Spec Ops The Line seems like a shining endorsement of the concept that good ideas in one medium don't necessarily translate well to another.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I killed everyone I ran into in Spec Ops. What was the message?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Spec Ops the Line was a good game salvaged from terrible executive decisions that had some interesting things to say about the nature of choice and consequence. Gamers got really really mad at it because they took the message as an indictment of them, personally.

It was sort of a lightning-in-a-bottle situation, though, so who knows how RE7's script will turn out. It's got a really low bar to clear in any case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PureRok posted:

I killed everyone I ran into in Spec Ops. What was the message?

War is hell and innocents can get hurt. The only way to win a war is not go to it

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

also teleportating seizure armored soldiers is a horrible game mechanic

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PureRok posted:

I'll be glad when this VR fad is over.

Everyone will skip straight to glasses with embedded lenses and laugh about how people used to keep enormous 60" screens in their living rooms just to watch videos.

e: my interest in RE7 will fall as quick as it rose if the next footage of the full game is just this with an FPS HUD and a machine gun. Hopefully they can find a middle ground between the scripted action-less stuff in this teaser and a shooter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

From what I've heard Spec Ops was some preachy bullshit, so hearing the writer from that is on board is killing my interest even further in RE7.

Perhaps you should form your own opinion. It's not hard to find people talking poo poo about any given subject matter. Almost everything I like has a legion of people proclaiming it's terrible, up to and including every Resident Evil game up to this point. The only thing I can think of that can't be poo poo-talked is pizza.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

On the subject of Spec Ops, it should be noted that allegedly there were options to get out of Dubai but they were removed early on because a majority of people play testing actually used them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Perhaps you should form your own opinion. It's not hard to find people talking poo poo about any given subject matter. Almost everything I like has a legion of people proclaiming it's terrible, up to and including every Resident Evil game up to this point. The only thing I can think of that can't be poo poo-talked is pizza.

Pizza is loving awful because people throw sauces all over the perfectly good bread. Who even likes peperoni anyway? Margherita pizzas only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No pizza rules

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pizza is loving awful because people throw sauces all over the perfectly good bread. Who even likes peperoni anyway? Margherita pizzas only.

How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't base my decision not to play the game on negative reviews, I based it on the positive word of mouth that also sounded bad to me.

Like I get your point on how even good things have haters but why I should waste time and money "to form my own opinion" on something I'm disinterested in?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

If you specify "new york style" or "chicago style" or similar, you risk hatfield/mccoy style gunfights from breaking out in some parts of the country.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'd be fine if RE 7 turns out to be this but with Chris and Leon and STARS written on the jackets.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Backhand posted:

Because the game mercilessly insulted and bullied the player for doing the exact things that the game gave the player no choice but to do.

howiscyberbullyingreal.jpg

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Video game about war: War is bad actually

Gamers: I'm being bullied!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
FPS games would be so much more enjoyably if every time you discharged your weapon you had to fill out a shitload of paper work and then go on leave until your scheduled date to meet with a tribunal to determine if your actions were justified or not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lunethex posted:

How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?

I dont like when people act like there are toppings other than pepperoni and bacon (and maybe a few other meats)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

When the demo ended and dumped you back to the "Press any button" screen, I thought that was a hint to play through again and try to follow the guy who disappears when I watch the video. I was so disappointed to walk into an invisible fence during that scene, I immediately said "gently caress this" and deleted the demo. PT might've raised my expectations for a first-person horror game demo but this was boring and hardly scary.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pizza is loving awful because it's not a p'zone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vakal posted:

FPS games would be so much more enjoyably if every time you discharged your weapon you had to fill out a shitload of paper work and then go on leave until your scheduled date to meet with a tribunal to determine if your actions were justified or not.

Police Quest SWAT did something like this

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

acksplode posted:

When the demo ended and dumped you back to the "Press any button" screen, I thought that was a hint to play through again and try to follow the guy who disappears when I watch the video. I was so disappointed to walk into an invisible fence during that scene, I immediately said "gently caress this" and deleted the demo. PT might've raised my expectations for a first-person horror game demo but this was boring and hardly scary.
You were on the right track at least. What the game seemed to want you to do, assuming you got the door ending first, is to remember the secret passage, open it before or without watching the tape, find the fuse, restore power to the upper area and head upstairs where you find the ringing telephone. You hear 1 of 3 cryptic messages. You then get welcome to the family son'd anyways.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone wanna tell me whats said in the third phone message?. I looked up a couple videos but they both just said the same thing, you have a choice...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

codo27 posted:

Someone wanna tell me whats said in the third phone message?. I looked up a couple videos but they both just said the same thing, you have a choice...

"Memories hold the truth, don't let appearances mislead you."

"You have the power to choose, but the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect."

"You will have to say goodbye eventually, but are you ready?"

What the hell these mean are open to debate.

EDIT: \/ It's no biggie Snake. I apologize if I came off as as a dick with my own replies.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 17, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

I didn't base my decision not to play the game on negative reviews, I based it on the positive word of mouth that also sounded bad to me.

Like I get your point on how even good things have haters but why I should waste time and money "to form my own opinion" on something I'm disinterested in?

I guess I've just noticed a trend lately where people will spread opinions about things when all they have to go on is second hand knowledge, creating a spiral of bizarre misinformation. I wasn't trying to target you specifically, I see how I myself came off as preachy. Not sure why I latched on to your post like that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=207467640&postcount=4896

Have some sperg

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The community is already split on RE7. Having to patch in an actual "good ending" to their demo would completely destroy good will.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

acksplode posted:

I immediately said "gently caress this" and deleted the demo. PT might've raised my expectations for a first-person horror game demo but this was boring and hardly scary.

No offense or anything, but how does this disappoint you if PT raised your expectations? They're basically the same thing exact game to me. PT doesn't even have the mildly branching paths/endings that the demo does. They both just resort to "face in ya face" at the end.

I enjoyed both the first time through but neither has much to offer a second time, which would be a big bummer if the whole RE7 follows this model. It's cool once, but you know you're on rails. (I tried following the disappearing guy my first time and hit the invisible wall right away which kind of took away from the mystery - same with the guy walking past the doorway, I ran right after him and he instantly disappeared. I think they expected you to freeze there for a second)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Electromax posted:

No offense or anything, but how does this disappoint you if PT raised your expectations?
PT was much, much, much x100 scarier and at no point did I think "oh here's a clever thing the game seems to want me to do" and then run into a goddamn invisible wall. That the RE7 demo doesn't have much to offer the second time ought to be a disappointment when it really wants you to play a second time and do different things.

Raxivace posted:

You were on the right track at least. What the game seemed to want you to do, assuming you got the door ending first, is to remember the secret passage, open it before or without watching the tape, find the fuse, restore power to the upper area and head upstairs where you find the ringing telephone. You hear 1 of 3 cryptic messages. You then get welcome to the family son'd anyways.

Well poo poo. It irritates me that they gave you an option to change your actions based on what you know from a prior playthrough, but not the action that immediately jumped my mind as the obvious thing to try.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 17, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the demo seems to have a few weird counter-intuitive things. You can pick up the weird finger that appears to have some kind of key or something hidden in it. The item description mentions it is made of celluloid, which seems to imply that it can be burned- it wouldn't be that far off from a typical RE puzzle. Nobody has found any use for the finger.

In the VHS world, you can find a lockpick which can be used to unlock a drawer in the kitchen. There's nothing in the drawer, but the drawer will be unlocked now in the real world and contains an honest to god weapon- an axe you can swing around. You can break some (But not all) of the mannequins, some boxes...and that's it. Nobody has found any other use for the axe.

Due to a glitch we know there's something behind one of the barricaded doors on the upper level of the house, and this seems to be an area seen in the Tape 1 Trailer too, but at this point it seems actually impossible to get past it. It's probably not meant to be accessed in the actual demo, but still.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you are frustrated by the lack of action, come watch me go nuts in RE5 with unlimited ammo OP weapons!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Backhand posted:

And from a metafiction standpoint, or a narrative standpoint, that's kind of clever and a perfectly legit option. But it's terrible game design. The writer of Spec Ops The Line seems like a shining endorsement of the concept that good ideas in one medium don't necessarily translate well to another.

The writer gave an interesting insight into how messed-up the devleopment process was and how the game was good despite everything there were stories like:

-The chopper scene at the start wasn't originally supposed to be there. It was only supposed to be in the later part of the game, but some dev/pub lead thought it would make a great opening and demanded it start the game. Which is why they had that weird awkward dialogue that tried to connect the two. There was also the case of executives forcing the team to leave in unrealistic action scenes that felt out of place (created for benchmark) because it looked cool.

-The chopper SNAFU was then re-written which made some scenes not make sense (the point where Nolan North even commented on it). The bosses forced them to keep those scenes in, too.

-There was originally going to be a a non-ending due to budget constraints. from what I remember, they were going to just have Walker (originally a placeholder name because he "walked a lot") die right at the end before he gets to the tower. The writer scraped together what help they could afford to get the ending together in a really tiny amount of time.

Overall, it's kind of stupid that people latch on to one sentence a writer said to dismiss the whole game when it's got so much going for it in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Spec Ops is a game that really should've never been as good as it was. And let's be honest, if it didn't approach the content as well as it could have, at least it tried to have a challenging message and story, and was memorable for it-which is certainly more than can be said for the vast majority of other cover-based shooters.