Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Monsters have double hit points and they take less damage... If you took these bits off of expert mode, I might be interested, but as long as it insists on making combat more tedious, I don't see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
That's a good point. If you radically increase damage taken, it makes you be more clever about dodging and careful in your exploring because you can't tank a fair number of hits with healing potions. Adding hit points to the enemy or reducing the damage you do mostly just makes Activity X take longer, and that's not fun. Making faster, more clever ghosts in Pac-Man can make for a more pleasant experience for people who are very good at the game, but having to eat a Power Pellet and munch each ghost three times before his eyeballs run away isn't a mod you are likely to see anytime soon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

That's a good point. If you radically increase damage taken, it makes you be more clever about dodging and careful in your exploring because you can't tank a fair number of hits with healing potions. Adding hit points to the enemy or reducing the damage you do mostly just makes Activity X take longer, and that's not fun. Making faster, more clever ghosts in Pac-Man can make for a more pleasant experience for people who are very good at the game, but having to eat a Power Pellet and munch each ghost three times before his eyeballs run away isn't a mod you are likely to see anytime soon.

It actually make a lot of weapons more useful since you can't just throw the minishark at everything. The extra damage taken already skews your choices away from stacking warding everywhere and this helps counteract stacking Menacing. There's also still a LOT of incredibly powerful weapons available at every stage that would otherwise break the curve. Overall the longer ttk is really only noticeable at the start of the game and the start of hardmode. You're expected to seek out the strongest poo poo you can get your dick beaters on instead of just winging it with any old junk.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

You're expected to seek out the strongest poo poo you can get your dick beaters on instead of just winging it with any old junk.

Sooo narrowing your fun options for the sake of having to grind out longer battles?

One of the greatest pitfalls a developer will make is thinking "more hp = more challenging game." This only works if your entire game is based around ammo rationing like Resident Evil or something.

A game like Terraria or even The Division, it just makes for a shittier experience as you sit there whacking away at a generic mob for 20 seconds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

dis astranagant posted:

It actually make a lot of weapons more useful since you can't just throw the minishark at everything. The extra damage taken already skews your choices away from stacking warding everywhere and this helps counteract stacking Menacing.

???

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but are you saying increasing enemy hp gives players an incentive NOT to stack damage mods on all their accessories? What?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mzbundifund posted:

???

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but are you saying increasing enemy hp gives players an incentive NOT to stack damage mods on all their accessories? What?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one; that's what I thought he was implying too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless. Enemies doing increased damage means that you really need to make sure you have a good defense as well as your offense so 4 extra armor can be more important than 4% extra damage. These are not hard concepts to grasp.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

watho posted:

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless. Enemies doing increased damage means that you really need to make sure you have a good defense as well as your offense so 4 extra armor can be more important than 4% extra damage. These are not hard concepts to grasp.

There's only ever one point in the game when an extra 4 defense is going to be worth more than any of the other modifiers, and that's at the very start before you've killed your first boss. The age of Warding on everything mercifully died when patch 1.1 did. The mid-late game of Terraria has you crafting a bunch of accessories, each making you exponentially more mobile than the last until you can finally jump from the surface and reach the edge of space due to all the poo poo you have equipped. When you can move like that, why would you tank hits when you can dodge around enemies?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

watho posted:

By making the enemies have more damage you need to make sure your weapons deal a lot of damage per hit and not just damage per second which makes a lot of previously pointless weapons viable while while only making a few previously viable weapons pointless.

What pointless weapons in a regular world are more useful in expert? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

Terraria has like, one weapon that behaves the way you're talking about in the sniper rifle, and you have to complete literally 80% of the game to get it. No other weapon has enough of a difference between attack speed and damage to be worth prioritizing over something in the same weapon category that has a higher attack stat.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sniper Rifle, Musket, Night's Edge, Uzi, Phoenix Blaster, pretty much all rocket weapons, late game bows, there are more but I can't remember them right now.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
This page has basically been in line with my experiences in solo expert mode. Extra risk is fun, crunching through mountains of hit points is not. It seems like something that's more of a benefit to multiplayer, where normal difficulty is especially trivial. The loot bag mechanic makes this even more apparent (when it works).

I will say the eye of cthulus expert drop feels far and away the best one to take back to a normal world. The extra mobility is a huge boon early game. Being able to instantly activate hermes boots/equivalent, do midair jukes, or just full speed 180s on the ground is massively more valuable than the worm scarf imo.

Edit: I will say it seems completely asinine that the demon heart doesn't work in normal mode. Who really cares if normal mode gets a little easier, after putting in a little bit of effort? It bugs me that there are all these sweet accessories that I barely get to play with, unless I switch to the mode where everything has 1000 health.

way to go steve fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

DoubleNegative posted:

When you can move like that, why would you tank hits when you can dodge around enemies?

Because you're a masochist and you enjoy pain and want to face-tank everything? Don't kink-shame.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo. I've yet to get to things like the Frost/Pumpkin moon or the alien invasion, but the consensus seems to be that they are exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, solo, and that bothers me because I want to enjoy the content without having to find a tag-team partner. The fact that a number of bosses despawn after a relatively short amount of time no matter how you are doing is also a pain in the rear end.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo. I've yet to get to things like the Frost/Pumpkin moon or the alien invasion, but the consensus seems to be that they are exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, solo, and that bothers me because I want to enjoy the content without having to find a tag-team partner. The fact that a number of bosses despawn after a relatively short amount of time no matter how you are doing is also a pain in the rear end.

Of the actual required bosses to do the whole normal game progression, the only ones that despawn only despawn once sunrise hits, right? So that gives you about 9 minutes for most bosses assuming you spawn them right as the night starts. Generally speaking, time shouldn't be TOO much of a factor if you've prepared sufficiently. And realistically, all the boss fights require at least some preparation. If not a full blown arena preparation, at least weapon/ammo and buff preparation. The only boss I've felt was too much of an HP sponge that the time might be a factor was the final boss, but I've pretty much only ever cheesed the poo poo out of that fight anyway.

They are difficult, for sure. But it's just a matter of planning. Unless you're doing some very low-DPS cheese strategy, the fights should be more about successful execution than sinking enough damage in over 9 minutes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo.

You can beat everything in the game solo, even on expert where things have double the hp and deal more than double damage (even after considering the defense damage mitigation increase).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The deal with pumpkin/frost moon specifically isn't beating them, it's getting to the final wave. The way those moon events work is killing monsters gives you a number of points relative to the monster's strength, stronger monsters = more points. Once you get a certain number of points, the event advances to the next wave. On higher waves, the more powerful moon monsters appear, and their drop rates are better. If you reach the final wave, then you just kill as many monsters as you can until sunrise, benefiting from their maximized drop rates.

It's difficult but not impossible to get to the final wave by yourself, but you'll absolutely need to set up some terrain to help you deal damage, with high-powered traps stolen from the jungle temple and lava trenches. Even if you aren't geared out for summoning you should have some summons around. Even with their base stats unboosted by summon-buffing armor they'll add to your damage output.

Of course you'll want a full suite of buffs, and to stack your arena with a heart lantern, campfire, star-in-a-bottle, crystal ball, etc, whatever you have that can buff the loadout you're using.

In multiplayer you can get away with worse gear and a less impressive killzone arena, in singleplayer you'll probably need to go all-out.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I did a pumpkin moon in chlorophyte armor with a decent trap arena and a phantasm and spent probably the last third of the night flying around in my UFO murdering and being chased by about a dozen pumpkings at once.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It's been about a year since I last was at terraria endgame, but the trick for doing the pumpkin moon is the sword that rains down hundreds of stars or the terrarian yo-yo and just have enough defense and attack to kill the bosses fast enough that you get healed to full from each boss death.

e. this strat was on normal, of course, and just involved standing in one spot raining down death.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 17, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The only thing I haven't beat solo in Terraria yet is the moon lord in expert mode, but that's absolutely doable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lowen posted:

The only thing I haven't beat solo in Terraria yet is the moon lord in expert mode, but that's absolutely doable.

It's pretty brain-dead simple if completely boring as gently caress, just build a minecart rail from one end of your world to the other with bumpers on each end, and throw Godly Daybreaks backwards constantly while traveling at 102mph. You will occasionally take some damage on the switchbacks but pretty rarely.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

It's pretty brain-dead simple if completely boring as gently caress, just build a minecart rail from one end of your world to the other with bumpers on each end, and throw Godly Daybreaks backwards constantly while traveling at 102mph. You will occasionally take some damage on the switchbacks but pretty rarely.

I did that in my ufo and it wasn't terribly hard. UFO invasion can be cheesed by building a bunker with a 1 tile hole in the side to stick a yoyo out.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

JustJeff88 posted:

If you haven't been stocking up on buff potions, or creating outdoor arenas to fight bosses in, start doing so. I used to ignore these parts of the game and came to the same conclusion as you. All that changed when I began hedging my bets with potions, campfires/heart lanterns and heart statue mechanisms.

If you have been doing this, then I would start evaluating your equipment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Honestly, the season moons are obsolete now. They have some unique equipment but you can get better from post-golem eclipses and the UFO invasion for less effort.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Necromantic Scroll is nice if you want to do summon stuff but yea, you can pretty much ignore the moons.

As far as potions go, the Endurance and Wrath / Rage potions are really good and can be fished up pretty easily. If you're having trouble with bosses they make a difference, especially if you're already buffed up with ironskin and regen (you should be buffed up with ironskin and regen).

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

If you have any of the lunar event gear you can wreck the moons for big piles of money if you want.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
You can also reforge your weapons and trinkets for better affixes. Speaking of, what are the kind of affixes that I should be aiming for on my trinkets??

Edit: if my spec is a significant factor, I'm currently melee with a Terra Blade, Vampire Knives and one of those homing axes you get from the Golem.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 17, 2016

bij
Feb 24, 2007

i am tim! posted:

You can also reforge your weapons and trinkets for better affixes. Speaking of, what are the kind of affixes that I should be aiming for on my trinkets??

Edit: if my spec is a significant factor, I'm currently melee with a Terra Blade, Vampire Knives and one of those homing axes you get from the Golem.

The lifesteal on Vampire Knives is tied to damage, I've taken to reforging all my stuff to menacing (4% damage) and haven't looked back. Short of the Moon Lord you can facetank almost anything, Expert stuff included, if you're running a Flask of Ichor.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Honestly, the season moons are obsolete now. They have some unique equipment but you can get better from post-golem eclipses and the UFO invasion for less effort.
I still find Razoripine incredibly viable because with a Mythical reforge, pretty much anything less than a hardmode boss dies in less than 5 seconds.

e: Just tried it on the Golem. 18 seconds with Nebula Armor.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

symbolic posted:

I still find Razoripine incredibly viable because with a Mythical reforge, pretty much anything less than a hardmode boss dies in less than 5 seconds. Even then, I think I clocked Skeletron Prime going down in about 30 seconds.

This wasn't on Expert mind you, but I still think it's incredibly useful.

Yeah, but you can do the same thing with a laser machine gun or charged blaster cannon for much less effort.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but you can do the same thing with a laser machine gun or charged blaster cannon for much less effort.
I honestly had no idea that those even dropped during the Martian Invasion because holy moly is the invasion rare. I think I've fought it twice in the 100-125 hours I've put in since 1.3.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

I honestly had no idea that those even dropped during the Martian Invasion because holy moly is the invasion rare. I think I've fought it twice in the 100-125 hours I've put in since 1.3.

I like the Martian Madness invasion because it rarely happens on its own but at the same time it's really straightforward to trigger. Hunting for the Martian Probe takes a few minutes, but it's really easy if you know where your floating islands are.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Solumin posted:

I like the Martian Madness invasion because it rarely happens on its own but at the same time it's really straightforward to trigger. Hunting for the Martian Probe takes a few minutes, but it's really easy if you know where your floating islands are.
That's basically what I just did. Only took about 8 or so minutes and I ended up getting the Laser Machinegun as a result. Took slightly longer to kill the Golem (25ish seconds), but it definitely beats Razorpine in range and crowd control.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Solumin posted:

The probes even show up on the lifeform analyzer so you can know to look around when they spawn.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Can't you get hardmode ores pre-hardmode with the crates?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

No, you can fish up crates in regular then open those crates once the Wall is dead and get hardmode ores though.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do crates not spawn in hard mode?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do crates not spawn in hard mode?

They do, but the point is to fish up a ton of them in normal mode and not deal with hard mode enemies. Then when you hit hardmode you can skip straight to the 3rd ore without having to go smash demon altars and progressing the normal way.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm trying to design a good and efficient crafting setup. Any of you guys mind sharing yours?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm trying to design a good and efficient crafting setup. Any of you guys mind sharing yours?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Crafting_101#Multi-Crafting_Areas

I'm not too obsessive about it, but some people are and they came up with the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

As someone who last played this when the Moons were the endgame content and couldn't be beaten solo without very specific setups, it was amazingly cathartic to come back, beat everything again, then fly around with a Last Prism and hoover up 83 Mourning Wood trophies in one go.

It's so nice that everything can be done solo with minimal prep, is what I'm saying. My wife hates the combat and only wants to build, and none of my other friends were ever interested in playing, so I never really got to do the multiplayer stuff.