Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love my Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll get it on NX unless the NX version ends up being worse for some reason since I'm an idiot that gets every Nintendo system at launch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Goons, are you going to get Breath of the Wild for Wii U or NX?

Both, obviously

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm getting it on the NX because I want some of the other launch titles too, like Metroid VR.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Both, obviously

:patriot:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

Both, obviously

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lemming posted:

I'm getting it on the NX because I want some of the other launch titles too, like Metroid VR.

oh if the NX is a dumb oculus rift type system then im just not gonna get anything.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

oh if the NX is a dumb oculus rift type system then im just not gonna get anything.

You say that, and yet here you are, posting from inside Nintendo's Forums Simulator game

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how Nintendo makes an open world game like that work without a real progression system. Every other similar game has you gaining XP (of a sort at least) over the game that you can put into increasing you health and other attributes. Presumably this game still uses heart containers to increase health (although we haven't seen any), but what about other factors like speed or stamina, Will they tied into gear or items? Or are you going to go through the whole game with a fairly similar Link? I can't wait to see what they do.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm incredibly hyped for this game, but I do have one big qualm: the graphics lend themselves to sweeping vistas really well, but up close the cliff and ground textures look like rear end. I hope they get touched up for the final release.
Also, more of a personal thing: I booted up Skyward Sword for fun today, and it's so much more colorful and vibrant than this game. I always prefer stylized artstyles over more "realistic" stuff. The character models are fine, but te environment in BOTW looks a tad bit bland.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I will be getting any and all collectors edition consoles of this, since ocarina of time and majoras mask already made me buy 3 separate 3dses.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Fakename posted:

It occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how Nintendo makes an open world game like that work without a real progression system. Every other similar game has you gaining XP (of a sort at least) over the game that you can put into increasing you health and other attributes. Presumably this game still uses heart containers to increase health (although we haven't seen any), but what about other factors like speed or stamina, Will they tied into gear or items? Or are you going to go through the whole game with a fairly similar Link? I can't wait to see what they do.

We know that stamina is upgradable, but as far as I know we don't know the specifics of how

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012
So, if anybody's going to be in Manhattan over the next two days, the Nintendo World store is showing off some demos of the game. I got to see a few neat mechanics today when I was there.

Bows can score headshots.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Nintendo is getting help from Monolith to develop the game. Something like 100 devs.

That's pretty smart.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Brumaldo posted:

Nintendo is getting help from Monolith to develop the game. Something like 100 devs.

That's pretty smart.

Are you sure you're not thinking about Monolith Soft? Monolith is actually a different game company (did Shadow of Mordor).

Didn't Monolith Soft help with a different Nintendo game earlier that looked really good? Maybe Mario Kart 8?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think it'll be what those spirit orbs you get from completing shrines do, just skill tree points so you upgrade stuff. Like finish 20 shrines and dedicate them only to stamina and you'll reach the top of the stamina tree, however you can still have more stamina due to potions and there's a set limit, so ultimately if you were so inclined you could temporarily reach this peak stamina just by getting some ingredients while exploring if you don't want to put orbs in stamina.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Comrade Fakename posted:

I imagine it'll be similar to how Terraria does it; the gear that you find naturally gets better as you conquer more challenging areas, and the ores and ingredients you have to work with increase in quality, creating a more item-based progression system.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking about Monolith Soft? Monolith is actually a different game company (did Shadow of Mordor).

Didn't Monolith Soft help with a different Nintendo game earlier that looked really good? Maybe Mario Kart 8?

Yes, I meant Monolith Soft, I honestly forgot about any other monoliths being in the industry. It's late at night over here, I'm pretty sleepy. :haw:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Wii U definitely. I expect to get an NX eventually but all console releases tend to start with very anemic software lineups. I prefer to wait a bit for more games to come out.

Meanwhile there's no way I don't play a Zelda on release so Wii U it is.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

All I care about is performance. If the game's gonna run smoother on the NX I'm probably going to wait, considering I don't have a wiiu.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing the resolution and draw distance will be somewhat different on NX but the framerate will remain largely the same, because developers tend to prioritize the two former over the latter.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Brumaldo posted:

All I care about is performance. If the game's gonna run smoother on the NX I'm probably going to wait, considering I don't have a wiiu.

The WiiU and NX versions are gonna be released simultaneously iirc, so you won't have to wait

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Meaning they'll wait until they have $800 saved up, which the NX will cost.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HighwireAct posted:

The WiiU and NX versions are gonna be released simultaneously iirc, so you won't have to wait

Watch them do the exact same thing they did with Twilight Princess... (For those that don't remember, the GameCube version was released a few weeks after the Wii version)

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

thanks alot assbag posted:

Meaning they'll wait until they have $800 saved up, which the NX will cost.

There hasn't been a Nintendo Console in the last 20 years that's cost more than $300, so I'm sure they'll probably be keeping up with tradition in that department

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Well if Zelda's fine with breaking tradition...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

greatn posted:

I'm guessing the resolution and draw distance will be somewhat different on NX but the framerate will remain largely the same, because developers tend to prioritize the two former over the latter.

Nintendo has been making FPS a priority in their games recently, so I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Wii U, since I have already have so much stuff for it that I wouldn't want to get rid of! Also, my wife most likely won't be letting me buying a new gaming system anytime soon with my new baby boy due in September :3:

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I can't say for sure yet if I'll want this game for Wii U or NX. I think it depends on if the NX version makes use of an interesting new controller type. I hope it's super weird and actually a donut, or that horseshoe from a patent a couple years ago. Along with breaking the traditions of their biggest franchises, I want Nintendo to keep messing with wacky hardware and interaction methods.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Wii U for me. I generally can't afford to get consoles at release these days, just picked up my Wii U a couple of months ago, my first console since the 360, didn't realise how much I'd been missing Nintendo. :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think it depends on what the NX actually ends up being

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
NX, probably. I've made a habit of getting new Nintendo consoles on launch.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i think it depends on what the NX actually ends up being

yeah i dunno how people are already decided on a thing like this, we know next to nothing about the nx's price or launch titles or inevitable controller gimmick

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm getting an NX on release day and I'm super excited to see how Nintendo placates early adopters after it invariably fucks up the launch

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sam Faust posted:

They've worked on a bunch of Nintendo games over the last several years - Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc, basically anything with tons of assets.

Mario Kart 8 was co-developed by Namco-Bandai, as was Smash and Wii Sports Club.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

I'm getting an NX on release day and I'm super excited to see how Nintendo placates early adopters after it invariably fucks up the launch

Is there precedent for this besides the 3DS ambassador program?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When Nintendo fucks up the NX launch they don't have to ask me to please understand. I already understand. It's ok Nintendo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'm getting the video game on the wii u because it won't be any different and i alreaedy have a wii u

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the graphics will be different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hard to say without knowing what the NX really is. I'm leaning towards maybe getting an NX with it just for the better visuals, but I'm not sure.