Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
NX is going to be an AI they transferred Iwata into before he died, and I'm looking forward to playing Zelda with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Brother Entropy posted:

inevitable controller gimmick

If they just give me a normal god drat controller ONCE this decade I will be happy.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

With their handhelds they usually release an improved version some time down the line. Has that happened with their regular consoles as well? I haven't kept up with Wii/Wii U hardware. I'm usually a bit wary of getting first version hardware in general.
Basically the train of thought goes: should I get a Wii U for cheap now and enjoy a handful of games on that, plus Zelda, and then get a NX late?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah i dunno how people are already decided on a thing like this, we know next to nothing about the nx's price or launch titles or inevitable controller gimmick

I would be really surprised if the NX version isn't superior in some objective manner - better resolution, better textures generally, better frame rate, something like that. I want to experience the "best" version of the game, and if they're identical in terms of feature or function then that leaves hardware power as the decider

I guess if it ends up being pure handheld or pure VR I may reconsider, but the WiiU is a sinking ship and tbh I'm pretty pumped at starting anew with a sweet Zelda

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can you climb almost everything or just rocks/hills? Did anybody try to climb the Temple of time for example?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can definitely climb buildings.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
All the demo videos say that Link can climb on pretty much everything, stamina willing, except for the walls in the shrines. That may extend to dungeons too perhaps.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cool. I will try to climb everything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ovenboy posted:

With their handhelds they usually release an improved version some time down the line. Has that happened with their regular consoles as well? I haven't kept up with Wii/Wii U hardware. I'm usually a bit wary of getting first version hardware in general.
Basically the train of thought goes: should I get a Wii U for cheap now and enjoy a handful of games on that, plus Zelda, and then get a NX late?

With their consoles oddly enough there tend to go on and release interior versions later.

The NES got a really neat top loading revision though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Well the graphics will be different

says who? not aonuma

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-on-wii-u-and-nx-will-be-t/1100-6440876/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Reasonable response.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Hard to say without knowing what the NX really is. I'm leaning towards maybe getting an NX with it just for the better visuals, but I'm not sure.

Even with the usual dearth of post-launch releases (for any console), Breath of the Wild will probably keep you going for ages.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

We'll see. This is the first article I've seen that's speculated he's talking about graphics - everything else i've heard has speculated he was answering in a "this isn't a Twilight Princess situation" sort of way

The game was looking pretty rough at spots in the demo in terms of some textures, incredibly bad pop-in, and visible chugging. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some benefit to the NX version, even if it's an indirect one like "yeah i guess we have more RAM now so maybe offload more poo poo there to minimize HDD reads"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Goons, are you going to get Breath of the Wild for Wii U or NX?

yes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
From all accounts I've seen the chugging was an artifact of the stream and not the demo itself. I haven't seen anyone who's played the game said the framerate was dropping much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirPenguin posted:

We'll see. This is the first article I've seen that's speculated he's talking about graphics - everything else i've heard has speculated he was answering in a "this isn't a Twilight Princess situation" sort of way

The game was looking pretty rough at spots in the demo in terms of some textures, incredibly bad pop-in, and visible chugging. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some benefit to the NX version, even if it's an indirect one like "yeah i guess we have more RAM now so maybe offload more poo poo there to minimize HDD reads"

Demos tend to be based off an older build rather than the absolute cutting-edge development version, so I'd hold judgement on things like pop-in until release. Especially when it won't be out until next year.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I hope the rumors of the NX being a console/handheld hybrid are true so I can take this game with me everywhere

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

just like link can!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Can you climb almost everything or just rocks/hills? Did anybody try to climb the Temple of time for example?

rule seemed to be if the surface is flat and smooth you can't climb it, everything else is fair game

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I'm pretty sure I saw one of the commentator players climb the ruins near the very start of the game. So yeah, confirmed climbable buildings.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Best

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Does anyone have a gif if Link launching a boulder with the stasis app and a sledgehammer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does anyone have a gif if Link launching a boulder with the stasis app and a sledgehammer.

Here you go:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Should have hit rock while on rock

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

smell this posted:

Should have hit rock while on rock

Oh my god.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A dude on reddit got screenshots of the floating thing in the sky from multiple angles:

A dungeon like the City in the Sky? Remnants of Skyloft? A gigantic airship? Whatever it is, it's another awesome thing to wonder over and one day finally explore :neckbeard:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/4omsod/mysterious_airshipfloating_city_compilation/

Edit: Koroks are in the game, what if Ritos are too?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
First thing like half of all people will do day 1 is move a giant rock near something they can climb, freeze the rock and beat the poo poo out of it, then climb the thing and jump on to the rock. At which point, one way or another, magic should happen. First thing half of everyone that is left will do is make sure they have the hang glider before they try that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What did the wii u tablet do for the E3 demo? Was it just for inventory management or did it do something else?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

A dude on reddit got screenshots of the floating thing in the sky from multiple angles:

A dungeon like the City in the Sky? Remnants of Skyloft? A gigantic airship? Whatever it is, it's another awesome thing to wonder over and one day finally explore :neckbeard:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/4omsod/mysterious_airshipfloating_city_compilation/

Edit: Koroks are in the game, what if Ritos are too?

Then it all but confirms the post WW theory

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What did the wii u tablet do for the E3 demo? Was it just for inventory management or did it do something else?

It listed the controls :D

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Then it all but confirms the post WW theory

but the mastersword is not in the skull of ganondorf

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think it even did inventory management, it basically just displayed some of the map and a list of controls or something.

Aonuma made some comments about how it's annoying to have to look down at the gamepad but it was fine in the HD ports so I'm guessing they probably removed most of the Wii U-specific functionality for the sake of the NX version.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want to see the NX console itself, launch lineup, and the NX version of BotW to see if there's any major differences.

If there's nothing major between the 2, I think BotW will be the perfect swan song for the WiiU.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People should really hold off until the NX is revealed before they make any decisions about this game. There is an outside chance that the NX is just a souped-up handheld machine (that can maybe transmit TV signals to a dongle), so it's possible that the NX could actually look worse than the Wii U version. It's unlikely, but possible.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to know more about that colossal Stalfos wandering around.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I am going to play this when it is Breath of the Wild UHD on the Playstation 6 in 2028.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Hmmm this game looks good it will be nice to have something else to play on my Wii U other than Splatoon

(some assassins creed and splinter cell games came free with my console but they're still sealed tho haha)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

Hmmm this game looks good it will be nice to have something else to play on my Wii U other than Splatoon

(some assassins creed and splinter cell games came free with my console but they're still sealed tho haha)

AC:Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist are both well worth a play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Oh cool, I've definitely got Blacklist but the other game is Assassin's Creed III?