Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Thom apparently decided to play a few tunes at a neighbours garden party which is something that whoever hosting it can brag about for the rest of their life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
So basically what I'm hearing is that Radiohead is garden party music, which as we all know is one step away from beach music.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Princeps32 posted:

I know we're a long way out from the OK Computer misery period but it still makes me happy that they seem to enjoy touring so much now.

Jonny says he doesn't understand bands who complain about touring because it's great fun.

Didn't Radiohead make an entire documentary of complaining about touring?

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I assumed he was having a laugh but maybe not?

It's been 18 years since that documentary might be long enough to actuality forget things like that I guess.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Unlike 18 years ago, Radiohead can now tour on their own terms and be able to have a work-life balance.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
They also have six albums worth of additional material to play each night, which probably cuts down on the monotony.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone know what special event or whatever happened at the local record stores today?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

Anyone know what special event or whatever happened at the local record stores today?

An audio stream of Radiohead songs plus playlists from band members coinciding with physical copies of the album going on sale, I believe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It was a pro-recording of one of their recent London gigs, followed by playlists of favorite artists from Ed, Thom, and Colin.

e; fb

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Apparently it was really awkward in most places although the place that's hosting it for me is a record store and pub combined which works

Although they double booked, so who knows if we get the stream thing

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Load of shite

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I at least got a pint and some live music by some band I've never heard of (called PAWS if anyone is interested), if it's like this is a proper record store then yeah its awkward. Especially since the stream is skipping

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Meh. Hopefully some record store employee somewhere is getting a copy of that soundboard recording and posting it online afterwards, at least.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah so apparently people were attacked at the Istanbul Moon Shape Pool event...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

In a world...of pointless news stories that travel at light speed...

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

Yeah so apparently people were attacked at the Istanbul Moon Shape Pool event...
the video is really upsetting. No one seriously hurt but one second they were all just happy and chilling then a bunch of hateful zealots ruin everything and it's scary.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You had to piss on our parade / you had to shred our big day / you had to ruin it for all concerned

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a sober punch-up at a record shop

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Got my LP delivered this morning - oddly a nice way to start a Saturday (slow and smooth). Artwork I feel isn't as great as Kid A or Amnesiac.

Album is also on Spotify in the UK if you wanna give .0001 cents

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

auzdark posted:

Got my LP delivered this morning - oddly a nice way to start a Saturday (slow and smooth). Artwork I feel isn't as great as Kid A or Amnesiac.

Album is also on Spotify in the UK if you wanna give .0001 cents

Not delux edition, right?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Not delux edition, right?

Special edition doesn't ship until September

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Nah, glad I didn't shell out for the full version - I ordered the record on the announce day and listened to the leaks - Burn the Witch, Daydreaming and Decks Dark are awesome, whereas the rest of the album feels like one unmemorable song.

I know you guys are all over Identikit - I'm guessing this is better live or something?

True Love Waits will forever be this version for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jb1ChTfIc

I'll spin the record a few times, but I think it might just go back into the collection to sit.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Will the physical release have additional unreleased tracks?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Will the physical release have additional unreleased tracks?

The Collectors Edition, yes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I know one of you goons bought the collectors edition so upload the tracks for me tia

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's not out yet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I know one of you goons bought the collectors edition so upload the tracks for me tia

I did, and I don't know why I jumped. I guess because TKoL had such a cool collector's edition.

Oh well, it's cool to get the CD in addition.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I bought it and I'm going to structure my entire living space around it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

We're pretty sure one of the two bonus tracks is Spectre, anyways.

So the ultra fancy special edition will have a whopping one new song, and part of me strongly thinks it'll just be a Thom Yorke beep bloop track.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Big Boots/Spectre disc. :pray:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like bleepbloops actually

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
it'll be a version of big boots that thom recorded on his laptop on the bus between tour gigs. the song itself will be 17 minutes long, with most just being ambient beeps and boops with thom's caterwauling falsetto reverbing in the background.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Which section of AMSP would make the best NPR bumper music? My vote goes to Decks Dark, 3:25

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Ful Stop should be the Marketplace opening track

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Dead thread

Where's popcorn with his shite about syncopated beats, like that isn't something that's been around since Bo Diddley

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Dead thread

Where's popcorn

Right. It’s been a month, or two months, or something, and I think my opinion on the new album is pretty much settled. Which is to say, it hasn’t really changed since release. Which is to say, I like it, but not as much as I liked the previous, erm, seven Radiohead albums. Which is a mild bummer.

I liked Burn the Witch from the start, but man, it really is a fine piece of work, some dodgy lyrics aside (see my earlier complaining)… I love the cheery electronic percussion, I love the gliding strings in the second verse, and most of all I love the chorus melody. The jubilant feeling of the music and the creepy fairy tale lyrics put it well in HTTT territory, but with modern Radiohead’s high-production-value orchestral gloss. I still think it needs a proper outro but we'll keep quiet about that.

The other track that really grew on me is Tinker Tailor. It reminds me a lot of Amnesiac, with its eerie synths, retro percussion and jazzy drumming, but the outro is pure Portishead. It's the one track on AMSP that really opened up to me on repeated listening, which is what traditionally happens with Radiohead songs; everything else on the album seemed to arrive disappointingly fully-formed to me, no further secrets to unpick, no riddles to solve…

I like Identikit, particularly the brittle guitar tone - but I still say it’s overstuffed, like they suddenly had a crisis of confidence. The simpler 2012 arrangement brought out the song in better detail. Ful Stop is also good, especially in the rhythm section, yet somehow never quite ramps up to the extent I want it to.

The new acoustic emphasis is where the album is weakest, I think. I still confuse Desert Island Disk with The Numbers; they are both blandly pleasant hippie songs, without strong identities of their own. I’m honestly surprised to hear this kind of thing coming from Radiohead at this point. The Present Tense almost falls into the same trap (I really think the percussion is particularly lame) but it’s rescued by a lovely, flowing melody.

I don’t get True Love Waits. I just don’t get it. It’s boring. Wishy-washy. It has no effect on me. I always liked the song but I’d long since made my peace with it. Don’t need it here. Playing it on piano feels like a lazy shorthand for “sad emotional song” that doesn’t pay off.

For me the biggest failing is the lack of focus. A lot of these songs just feel so fuzzy-edged to me, out of focus. And that’s what TKOL was so good at avoiding.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Agreed, True Love Waits is boring

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I've kinda changed my mind on AMSP and now would rank it somewhere in the middle of their albums in terms of overall strength. It has 3 absolutely essential songs; Daydreaming, Decks Dark and The Present Tense. Those are all some of the best songs they've ever done. However, none of the other songs on the album will go down in history as the greatest the band has ever released. True Love Waits and Burn the Witch are also good, but I don't feel like either of those songs is even a top 20 Radiohead track. A couple of the songs on the album are just completely forgetable.

I've also realized that even their worst songs ever are better than the best songs I've released and that bummed me out a bit. I'm probably never going to "make it" in music.
Here's a link to my most recent song. The first song I've recorded since AMSP. Somebody in GBS said "Nice Radiohead cover OP." As if they are the only band on earth who is allowed to make that style of music. Think of all the bands that exist that influence eachother and sound like eachother. Especially older stuff like 60s music there used to be tons of bands that sounded almost identical on certain tracks.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't I release songs that "sound like Radiohead" without that being some kind of bad thing? And if they really do sound like them, why doesn't anyone give a poo poo about them? Seriously I've only had 1 person buy my music and write to me telling me they love it. Everyone else just listens to it and says "Meh".

I guess I just really wish I could write a song that other people love as much as I do. But so far I haven't been able to do that. I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Radiohead are the best band and any act that is not trying to sound exactly like them is wasting their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Right. It’s been a month, or two months, or something, and I think my opinion on the new album is pretty much settled. Which is to say, it hasn’t really changed since release. Which is to say, I like it, but not as much as I liked the previous, erm, seven Radiohead albums. Which is a mild bummer.

I liked Burn the Witch from the start, but man, it really is a fine piece of work, some dodgy lyrics aside (see my earlier complaining)… I love the cheery electronic percussion, I love the gliding strings in the second verse, and most of all I love the chorus melody. The jubilant feeling of the music and the creepy fairy tale lyrics put it well in HTTT territory, but with modern Radiohead’s high-production-value orchestral gloss. I still think it needs a proper outro but we'll keep quiet about that.

The other track that really grew on me is Tinker Tailor. It reminds me a lot of Amnesiac, with its eerie synths, retro percussion and jazzy drumming, but the outro is pure Portishead. It's the one track on AMSP that really opened up to me on repeated listening, which is what traditionally happens with Radiohead songs; everything else on the album seemed to arrive disappointingly fully-formed to me, no further secrets to unpick, no riddles to solve…

I like Identikit, particularly the brittle guitar tone - but I still say it’s overstuffed, like they suddenly had a crisis of confidence. The simpler 2012 arrangement brought out the song in better detail. Ful Stop is also good, especially in the rhythm section, yet somehow never quite ramps up to the extent I want it to.

The new acoustic emphasis is where the album is weakest, I think. I still confuse Desert Island Disk with The Numbers; they are both blandly pleasant hippie songs, without strong identities of their own. I’m honestly surprised to hear this kind of thing coming from Radiohead at this point. The Present Tense almost falls into the same trap (I really think the percussion is particularly lame) but it’s rescued by a lovely, flowing melody.

I don’t get True Love Waits. I just don’t get it. It’s boring. Wishy-washy. It has no effect on me. I always liked the song but I’d long since made my peace with it. Don’t need it here. Playing it on piano feels like a lazy shorthand for “sad emotional song” that doesn’t pay off.

For me the biggest failing is the lack of focus. A lot of these songs just feel so fuzzy-edged to me, out of focus. And that’s what TKOL was so good at avoiding.

I think you have some really good points here, and in general I'd agree that AMSP lacks identity compared to something like tKoL or HttT, but there's definitely room in the Radiohead catalogue for an album that relaxes its grasp a bit. For me The Numbers is a standout track, along with Tinker Tailor, Burn the Witch, and Daydreaming.

As I originally posted Ful Stop as an opener would've improved the album on the whole. Burn the Witch already commands so much attention that it doesn't need to be frontloaded.

It's a good album, a bit more on the passive listening side of things, but certainly nice to paint to, or sit in a hammock to, also beach music derail :regd08: