Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Wow. That escalated quickly. I'd have just assumed he was going for some sort of serious grim dark poo poo. But I guess that could be it too.
I figured it was either that or he had a (trio of) bad player(s) who played said races and now they're banned because clearly one person == all people everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I figured it was either that or he had a (trio of) bad player(s) who played said races and now they're banned because clearly one person == all people everywhere.

This is only true of people who play gnomes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Free the pilled Pathfinder thread guy who stumped all the cucks in the Paizo forums.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

mike12345 posted:

I'm looking for cyperpunk/magic settings a la Shadowrun. Any particular ones I should look at? Preferably ones that are available as pdf.

GHOST/ECHO comes to mind, if you're alright with the minimalism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that even if you had a very particular idea for what your game's universe is like, the way to deal with races is to say "diegetically that race doesn't exist, so you'll always look like a human, but mechanically you're an elf. How do you justify your sleep pattern?".

Sort of like how in Iron Heroes, instead of a Dwarf, you have a character with +2 CON and -2 CHA because of their Mountain-folk "traits"

And you certainly wouldn't go off like the person in that story for making a wrong assumption between "all the elves are dead" and "there were never any elves to begin with"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well, I got the DCC and Feng Shui Free RPG Day swag I wanted. It seems like a pretty good FLGS, all things considered, and it's made an effort to seem more family and less nerdy. I felt kind of bad I pretty much only go there on Free RPG Days. :shobon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My store had an okay turnout, but only three people stuck around to play. I taught them 13th Age and they really enjoyed it, so that was a plus.

I got the Faith RPG...thing, and I have no idea what to make of it. It's not even a quickstart or demo; it's a comic about some people who are the races in the game playing a game set in the same universe as different races. It uses a normal-cards-with-new-suits deck system; one character gets to draw a card because they played a card of the Space suit because the scene they're in took place in space. The game's rules are provided free onlinre because you need all sorts of cards and tokens and poo poo to actually play.

The game itself seems to use thick cardboard "sheets" as character sheets that have small holes you slot little tokes with the numbers on them because I guess that's more "immersive" than just writing on paper with a pencil.

Also attempting to succeed at something mechanically is called a "confrontation", which leads to phrases in the official rules as "when you have a confrontation with the GM".

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I hope this is a joke.

A joke??? On a humor website??? Surely you jest!

Sometimes I think TG forgets what website they're posting on.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What we have here, is a failure in communication! :negative:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Feng Shui new adventure is awesome. I thought we were gonna get Red Packet Rumble but instead it's a tribute to HK Cop Films.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

A joke??? On a humor website??? Surely you jest!

Sometimes I think TG forgets what website they're posting on.

I mean your post was not that unusual for SA Tradgames, to be quite honest!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Golden Bee posted:

The Feng Shui new adventure is awesome. I thought we were gonna get Red Packet Rumble but instead it's a tribute to HK Cop Films.

My FLGS didn't do free RPG day (mostly because there was no interest expressed). I don't suppose this can be had online?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I hope they put it up online somewhere, since there's only one FLGS doing Free RPG Day in London and it's over an hour away.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of, what are some good HK Cop films?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hard Boiled is my absolute favourite. Closely followed by 'Kill Zone' which I believe is called 'SPL' or something in other countries.

E: Also Invisible Target. And Infernal Affairs, although there's not any kung fu action in that as I recall.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

TG, what's the best way to get into tabletop RPGs? I've gamed like once or twice online and that's it, but I understand the basic ideas and rules behind how things work. I'm just more intimidated by finding an (online) group, especially since it's a commitment and I'd be new to whatever system they use. I don't know anyone locally either who might be interested, and I might be moving soon anyway.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Gyre posted:

TG, what's the best way to get into tabletop RPGs? I've gamed like once or twice online and that's it, but I understand the basic ideas and rules behind how things work. I'm just more intimidated by finding an (online) group, especially since it's a commitment and I'd be new to whatever system they use. I don't know anyone locally either who might be interested, and I might be moving soon anyway.

Try running something yourself. Find 4 of your friends (they'll give it a go if they have time and are nerds) , pick a night none of you are busy, get some dice and pick a good game to try. Get some beer and find a nice pizza joint nearby. Main criteria is something reasonably simple to play with a concept everyone can understand. D&D can be complicated to run so if you do that there's a lot of premade dungeons you can try. Other good choices are the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars games, which have a solid introductory adventure series, and my personal reccomendation, the World Wide Wrestling RPG, which has some really solid first session tools and guidelines, along with fairly simple rules and a premise that leads to lots of crazy player input.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Did the new Traveller end up being any good?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

I really enjoyed Flash Point. And it's on Netflix too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anything by John Woo and the Police Story and Project A movies. Also The Raid that while is Indonesian is insanely loving good

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Hard Boiled is my absolute favourite. Closely followed by 'Kill Zone' which I believe is called 'SPL' or something in other countries.

E: Also Invisible Target. And Infernal Affairs, although there's not any kung fu action in that as I recall.

So The Departed was based on Infernal Affairs. Huh. Definate must watch.

Thanks for the HK cop recs and if there are more please keep them coming. I can't be the only one new to this genre.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gyre posted:

Generally what chaos rhames said: read an RPG that grabs you, invite friends over and jump right in. You will make mistakes, but the important part is that you elicit feedback, make changes based on that, and generally just keep trying to improve.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atlas Hugged posted:

Did the new Traveller end up being any good?

Which version are you referring to?

Mongoose 2e was good if you liked the Mongoose version, which most people on here, myself included, did. It's just an improved and streamlined version of 1e.

Traveller5 is not that well received because it's a return to form of late 70's/early 80's simulationist game design. It was also very poorly edited at launch.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 19, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like original, now 'Classic', Traveller, but if I'm going to play that, I don't need any new books. It's the same thing with all this OSR stuff that doesn't actually do anything interesting. If I want to play Red Box, I'll play Red Box, etc. The only things that OSR have done even remotely interesting is when they use the rules to make a Not Fantasy game, like Stars Without Number.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well I know nothing at all about Traveller. But I like lasers and space ships and haven't touched an RPG since a 4e DnD campaign I ran several years ago. If my FLGS just got a book and a reference screen in, is that likely to be Traveller 5?

Edit: Apparently it's the Mongoose one which I guess is the better place to start?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 19, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

I like original, now 'Classic', Traveller, but if I'm going to play that, I don't need any new books. It's the same thing with all this OSR stuff that doesn't actually do anything interesting. If I want to play Red Box, I'll play Red Box, etc. The only things that OSR have done even remotely interesting is when they use the rules to make a Not Fantasy game, like Stars Without Number.

To be fair, the OSR movement was born out of the problem of older editions of D&D no longer being in print and also not available in PDF. They had to make "OSRIC" (and even HackMaster before it) because there was no way to get your hands on a legal PDF of AD&D 1e, and hardcopies were becoming harder and harder even with WOTC's reprints.

There was a small window where you actually could get legal PDFs of the older D&D's around the time of 4e, but then WOTC pulled out of the PDF business almost entirely after the 4e pirating scandal (which wasn't even caused by PDF sales).

What I'm saying is, I agree with you that by now the OSR has lost much of its point, and especially when the designers and the community make you think the acronym stands for Old lovely Regressives, but if you draw the line of "the OSR isn't necessary anymore" to where you can start playing old D&D's again legally, that didn't happen until just the first quarter of this year.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

So The Departed was based on Infernal Affairs. Huh. Definate must watch.

Thanks for the HK cop recs and if there are more please keep them coming. I can't be the only one new to this genre.

This thread functions as a good clearing house for kung fu movie recs, although it focuses more on classical than modern.

And The Raid is fantastic, yes. I'd hesitate to call it a police story exactly, but it's a phenomenal fight film. I didn't think The Raid 2 was as good, but everything from where he drives the car into the warehouse up to the very end had me glued to the screen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well I know nothing at all about Traveller. But I like lasers and space ships and haven't touched an RPG since a 4e DnD campaign I ran several years ago. If my FLGS just got a book and a reference screen in, is that likely to be Traveller 5?

Edit: Apparently it's the Mongoose one which I guess is the better place to start?

Do you know what the book cover looks like?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

Do you know what the book cover looks like?

I found a photo on their Facebook page and the reference screen has the Mongoose logo on it so I think that's fairly definitive. So if Mongoose is the good version then I might pick it up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gyre posted:

I'd think about what genres you're interested in for a tabletop game. High fantasy has a glut of choices, ofc, ranging from some very rules-dense ones to much lighter games; cyberpunk has a wide range, too. There's a number of heist games that are setting-agnostic. There's superhero a games, horror games, mech games, games that are good for action/spy thrillers, games that are built for mystery-solving, post-apocalypse, wuxia/anime fun, westerns, brooding tragedies, space operas, etc. There's a few rules systems that can be used for multiple genres, like FATE/FATE Accelerated (FAE), too.

Once you have an idea of the kind of genres you'd like to play in, you can browse some of the iconic choices, or ask here for ideas on what sort of games are available for the genre and level of crunch/fluff you want. Then you can either pull together a group and run it in-person or online via skype, play by post forums, irc or whatever. You can also see if someone else is running a game like that here (ideal) or on another major rpg website like RPGNet or roll20 (less-than-ideal); players and GMs here are more likely to get run out for being lovely or creepy, but other websites might have larger available populations or less barriers to applications. That makes it easier to jump in, but also means there's less filter for quality.

You might also find in-person games at a local game store (if you have any near you), or more likely at any local/regional gaming conventions. Gen Con is the big one, but there's also PAX and its spinoffs, DragonCon, and a probably a few others that could get namedropped here if you need. If you're outside the US you can specify what country and find someone who can recommend a convention for you.

TG also has the #badwrongfun irc channel on SynIRC if you wanted any tips on playing more obscure RPGs or were trying to get leads on games starting up or interested players and didn't want the rigamarole of doing a recruitment post or applications on the pbp forum.

If you want a more in-depth look at a ton of obscure RPGs you can also jump into the FATAL & Friends thread here which is full of read-throughs for both hilariously awful and sometimes excellent obscure games. There's a full archive hosted by Inklesspen here that's broken down by review. A lot are incomplete/abandoned, but even those can give you a good idea of the games.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 19, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Even the very first versions of Traveller are completely playable, but yeah the Mongoose version is a good starting point for being written clearly and having rather unified mechanics.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Golden Bee posted:

I played this at my FLGS and it was a blast. It helped that the GM knew the game well, and the player dynamic was such that he let us come up with our own crazy ideas and roll with it ("we're renaming the Hong Kong special police force "Project Badass")

I played a Big Bruiser who was basically Vin Diesel playing Vin Diesel. His Melodramatic Hook was that he was looking for the man who stole his lucky 20-sided die.

Afterward the GM came to my party and we had a great time. One of my friends got me this game called Utter Nonsense, which is pretty much "CAH but with funny accents." We followed up with late night karaoke.

Overall, a fantastic birthday!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

chaos rhames posted:

Try running something yourself. Find 4 of your friends (they'll give it a go if they have time and are nerds) , pick a night none of you are busy, get some dice and pick a good game to try. Get some beer and find a nice pizza joint nearby. Main criteria is something reasonably simple to play with a concept everyone can understand. D&D can be complicated to run so if you do that there's a lot of premade dungeons you can try. Other good choices are the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars games, which have a solid introductory adventure series, and my personal reccomendation, the World Wide Wrestling RPG, which has some really solid first session tools and guidelines, along with fairly simple rules and a premise that leads to lots of crazy player input.

I agree with "just grab your friends and go," but I've actually found it a lot easier to get into roleplaying online than in person. When I'm playing in person with new people they tend to be really passive and unsure, but online people seem a lot more comfortable typing dumb poo poo about killing orcs, hacking master computers, or mind controlling the president. If you have any online pals consider that avenue using Roll20 - It gives you the tools for making really nice maps, but don't worry about that and just use the chatroom feature and if your system of choice has tactical combat you can just draw some boxes/lines on the provided grid area and go.

As for systems, I've found that rules-light systems tend to require more experience with RPGs to evoke their desired genres rather than less, so something more structured may be easier to get into for completely new people in my experience. Lots of people willing to try TTRPGs are the same people who have histories with console/PC RPGs or other video games and things like stats and grids make a lot of sense to them and can be used as a springboard to get them invested in their characters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

As for systems, I've found that rules-light systems tend to require more experience with RPGs to evoke their desired genres rather than less, so something more structured may be easier to get into for completely new people in my experience. Lots of people willing to try TTRPGs are the same people who have histories with console/PC RPGs or other video games and things like stats and grids make a lot of sense to them and can be used as a springboard to get them invested in their characters.

Seconding this hard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The starter boxes for D&D 5e and all of the FFG Star Wars games are pretty great I think. The Pathfinder starter less so.

What other major systems actually offer a starter box? I know 13th Age/PbotA games don't.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd think about what genres you're interested in for a tabletop game. High fantasy has a glut of choices, ofc, ranging from some very rules-dense ones to much lighter games; cyberpunk has a wide range, too. There's a number of heist games that are setting-agnostic. There's superhero a games, horror games, mech games, games that are good for action/spy thrillers, games that are built for mystery-solving, post-apocalypse, wuxia/anime fun, westerns, brooding tragedies, space operas, etc. There's a few rules systems that can be used for multiple genres, like FATE/FATE Accelerated (FAE), too.

Once you have an idea of the kind of genres you'd like to play in, you can browse some of the iconic choices, or ask here for ideas on what sort of games are available for the genre and level of crunch/fluff you want.

I've always been attracted to the idea of stuff with good world-building, like HeroQuest Glorantha, Paranoia, and Shadowrun, but I'm not sure how roll-filled they are. I'm fine with numerous numbers, but I've seen FATAL and I know how bad things can get. I also want something I can get a "one-shot" game running up quickly enough that it's fun, so maybe I should look for something with some pre-made scenarios? Something that would work with 3 (1 GM + 2 players) would also be great, since I know a couple that might be interested.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair, the OSR movement was born out of the problem of older editions of D&D no longer being in print and also not available in PDF. They had to make "OSRIC" (and even HackMaster before it) because there was no way to get your hands on a legal PDF of AD&D 1e, and hardcopies were becoming harder and harder even with WOTC's reprints.

There was a small window where you actually could get legal PDFs of the older D&D's around the time of 4e, but then WOTC pulled out of the PDF business almost entirely after the 4e pirating scandal (which wasn't even caused by PDF sales).

What I'm saying is, I agree with you that by now the OSR has lost much of its point, and especially when the designers and the community make you think the acronym stands for Old lovely Regressives, but if you draw the line of "the OSR isn't necessary anymore" to where you can start playing old D&D's again legally, that didn't happen until just the first quarter of this year.

I heavily disagree with you on this point, especially since while it's true you can get most editions of D&D in PDF format legally now, OSR products still have value, both cause they're a lot easier to get in physical format(and cheaper), also most OSR products are much better formatted and easier to use than TSR D&D usually is

Not to mention TSR D&D is basically a solved system, so anything new written up for them will probably be more mechanically sound than most products for newer systems are

Lastly I tend to find a lot of more "modern" systems to honestly be boring and/or dreadful on a mechanical level, often cause they try too hard make themselves different from D&D, and end up with murky and not fun mechanics, especially in character creation and combat aspects of said game(which is where honestly 99% of my interest in RPG's tend to be from a mechanical aspect as I and most of the people I know are completely abysmal at the "role-playing" parts of the hobby)

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

quote:

Seconding this hard.

Agreed, rules-light does not equal "simple" or "concept-lite". A great example is FATE compared to FAE. FAE certainly has less rules but I definitely wouldn't suggest it to anyone who hasn't played FATE already (or at least not without a GM who has run FATE).

When a game is rules lite it leaves lots of "white space" between those rules. An experienced GM or group of players knows how to fill in those white spaces as they play and it can often feel so simple and easy that one assumes that even a complete novice can grasp it, but that's often not the case.

The advantage of games with more rules is that the provide players and GMs with answers when they aren't sure, a concrete structure that can be used to say "this is what you do in order to do X"

I find Savage Worlds is probably just about the right balance for most intro RPGs...it's not too bloated but it still has concrete answers to most questions (and the fact that the trait ratings by themselves tell you what kind of dice to roll helps). Plus its cheap and doesn't come with overblown language or style. And, as much as many people hate it, 3.5 is still a good intro game at low levels.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

oriongates posted:

I find Savage Worlds is probably just about the right balance for most intro RPGs...it's not too bloated but it still has concrete answers to most questions (and the fact that the trait ratings by themselves tell you what kind of dice to roll helps). Plus its cheap and doesn't come with overblown language or style. And, as much as many people hate it, 3.5 is still a good intro game at low levels.

Agreed on Savage Worlds, but 3.5 really needs a DM who knows the system, or they're going t have a hard time appropriately challenging characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gyre posted:

I've always been attracted to the idea of stuff with good world-building, like HeroQuest Glorantha, Paranoia, and Shadowrun, but I'm not sure how roll-filled they are. I'm fine with numerous numbers, but I've seen FATAL and I know how bad things can get. I also want something I can get a "one-shot" game running up quickly enough that it's fun, so maybe I should look for something with some pre-made scenarios? Something that would work with 3 (1 GM + 2 players) would also be great, since I know a couple that might be interested.

You're better off with something prep-light, because pre-written scenarios are almost universally terrible. Shadowrun is notoriously mechanically bad so I would recommend against it, and Paranoia is one of those games where it's better to treat the system as a set of very loose suggestions designed to help you run an improv slapstick comedy workshop than an actual ruleset. It's a really good improv slapstick comedy workshop if everyone is on the same page, though!

I've not played HeroQuest, but it has Robin D. Laws on the cover, so the system is probably playable and mechanically sound, at least. If you're interested in Glorantha as a setting and you know your potential players are as well, you should go ahead and run that, because you should always run/play something you're interested. The bolded part is very important because not everyone wants to play a lore-heavy game. It's a bad idea to run a game that requires that your players read 300 pages of backstory to comply with your vision~ of what a campaign in that setting would be like unless you very specifically know that your players are also fans of the setting and are interested in reading 300 pages of backstory. If they aren't, everyone is going to have a poo poo time because your expectations will clash.

Also, personally, it's way more fun to do your own world-building with your friends, rather than relying on something with pages and pages of backstory.

What are you interested in, mechanically and genre-wise? What are your players interested in, mechanically and genre-wise? Those are the four questions you should answer before you start picking a game system to run.

• Locked thread