Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
CBS had a sitcom pilot based on Colin Cowherd's life because he was a big star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

CBS had a sitcom pilot based on Colin Cowherd's life because he was a big star.

But enough about All In The Family.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

C. Everett Koop posted:

But enough about All In The Family.

:golfclap:

The only person who I don't want to hear from less than Jason Whitlock is Colin Cowherd, I am excited to see this show somehow get negative ratings.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even if you don't factor in the actual content of the show (which by all accounts was more bland than actively bad), putting it head-to-head against SportsCenter was pants-on-head stupid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. How many people do they asked to make that rating to even represent?

IndyCar has a had a rating that low before, but I believe it was due to the fact that they were racing in Japan and it was 3 am.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

IndyCar has a had a rating that low before, but I believe it was due to the fact that they were racing in Japan and it was 3 am.

What did the non-race at Texas draw this weekend

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/742851610544472064

Good luck Skip

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ESPN's letting Sager work Game 6. Two thoughts:

1: Really cool of ESPN to let Sager do this, he's never had a chance to work a Finals and it's an honor and a privilege to do so.

2: I'm worried he's working the Finals because this is goodbye :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

ESPN's letting Sager work Game 6. Two thoughts:

1: Really cool of ESPN to let Sager do this, he's never had a chance to work a Finals and it's an honor and a privilege to do so.

2: I'm worried he's working the Finals because this is goodbye :(

had the same thought on both accounts. I'm glad he gets to do it though. Big of both parties to see the bigger picture here.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
M'Lady

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

...is that inside the Fox Sports building? If so, that's a new dimension of douche.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Incentive to take the stairs every day.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
M'Take

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Advertising to people who have a financial interest in the success of the network strikes me as a misallocation of resources. Those are perhaps the only people in the entire world who are actually watching FS1 and have a reason to want that godforsaken show to succeed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Please tell me there's a Cowherd elevator somewhere in that building too.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Lol

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Please tell me there's a Cowherd elevator somewhere in that building too.

Yeah it's literally just to the left and inside the elevator is a vinyl wrap of both of them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Looks like at least for now the Clippers and Prime Ticket are done.

At this point the Clippers and Fox (owners of Prime Ticket) were discussing doing another 1 or possibly 2 year deal. Clippers didn't want to do a long term deal unless they get near-Lakers money along with the the internet rights to the games so Ballmer can deliver what he promised when he got the team (he may not get this at all, NBA allows teams some leeway for video analysis on their website and such like that, but Ballmer feels that they have of all internet rights to local games, including broadcasting games, that should be an interesting fight if it ever happens). Clippers maintain that they are the closest they've ever been to the Lakers, so should be compensated as such.

Fox actually lowered their offer from the last year, and aren't giving up any internet rights. The Fox argument is that Clippers actually declined in ratings last year, too, by 1% (Clippers closed the gap on the Lakers because Lakers ratings fell 3%). So at least for now, they've ended negotiations.

So the Clippers are shopping the rights around. A lot of this feels like Vince McMahon's last attempt at a huge TV deal, though. So I kind of anticipate the Clippers and Fox coming back together, maybe with the Clippers on a stronger Fox station but not much else different.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SportsNet LA might get a new tenant!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mama there goes that man
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/742424998271418369

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

i just scrolled thru 2 years of my twitter faves to find this :)

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You made a good choice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's a top 5 all time tweet. It gets me every time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552

i have no idea why this is so funny to me

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's a top 5 all time tweet. It gets me every time.

also "that's preposterous. Crab rangoon, things of that nature"

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Mod edit: Don't do that

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 19, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At this point, it's clear that nobody actually watched Colin Cowherd on ESPN for him since they didn't follow him to FS1, and nobody has cared about Jason Whitlock for a while, and the 2 Fox Sports Live anchors made a mistake leaving TSN, right?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Jay and Dan's bank accounts probably don't think they made a mistake

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Jay and Dan's bank accounts probably don't think they made a mistake
For some reason, I thought Fox Sports Live was cancelled. But yeah, if they're still getting paychecks, good for them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pardon My Taint

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Josh Lyman posted:

At this point, it's clear that nobody actually watched Colin Cowherd on ESPN for him since they didn't follow him to FS1, and nobody has cared about Jason Whitlock for a while, and the 2 Fox Sports Live anchors made a mistake leaving TSN, right?

ESPN is a perpetual motion machine, gaining viewers simply by people going there out of habit for years and years.

FS1 does not have that force of habit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That is true. Apart from ESPN's daily talk lineup, the only thing that moves the needle in sports television is, well, live sports. As much as everyone enjoys NBCSN's coverage, the channel has had many, many failures in non-live sports shows. Remember The 'Lights? The Crossover? The T.Ocho Show? It's hard to blame FS1 for trying to reinvent the wheel (how they try to reinvent the wheel can be blamed), but changing a force of habit can only change when it's forced on the viewer.

This is the reason why Khaki Cam happened - Fox Sports said to the Big Ten Conference "We will do anything for your TV rights", because Fox Sports knew that those were the only major rights up for grabs anytime soon. If the Big Ten had said "Nah, we're good with ESPN", then FS1 would be doomed to irrelevance for who knows how long. (Of course, the Big Ten is now playing hard-to-get with ESPN, so this whole issue might never have been in the cards.)

A good comparison to what FS1 is going through would be what's going on in Canada. Despite losing national broadcast rights to the NHL, TSN still beats SportsNet in the ratings. Why? Because TSN has the brand. It's not that Canadians stopped watching hockey; TSN is just more ingrained with the average viewer.

There is no guarantee that FS1 will ever compete with ESPN. If the day does come when that happens, it will be because Fox Sports built their TV rights packages to be comparable, because that's the only thing that matters in the long run.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ESPN needed this

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/744858621616463872

Fox still gets first priority, though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN needed this

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/744858621616463872

Fox still gets first priority, though

Exactly two teams matter at all in the B1G for broadcast rights, if Fox gets right of first refusal to OSU and Michigan games then that's all they need.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

For some reason, I thought Fox Sports Live was cancelled. But yeah, if they're still getting paychecks, good for them.
They weren't even the real Sportscentre anchors in Canada, and can their old job back or maybe a substantial step up if they ever have to return.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Exactly two teams matter at all in the B1G for broadcast rights, if Fox gets right of first refusal to OSU and Michigan games then that's all they need.

Penn State

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Has not mattered at all for years now

Unrelated, SVP just torched Bayless last night :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Big Ten does pretty well ratings-wise in general, especially given that like half the games in any given week start during what would be the middle of breakfast for a decent portion of the country. Like I know Iowa/Nebraska pulled a really good number and outrated a game between ranked Baylor and TCU teams later that day that had Big 12 title implications. And it's not like Fox is getting literally every single game for both OSU and Michigan. It's a way better use of money for ESPN than plenty of the poo poo they buy rights for.