Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jia posted:

Leon's is the best because you get to play as Helena and she's the best and I love her and I'm going to make her my wife.

Same but with Leon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jia posted:

Leon's is the best because you get to play as Helena and she's the best and I love her and I'm going to make her my wife.

love's not bad at all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember RE6's core gameplay (run and shoot and punch off heads) being pretty satisfying, but holy poo poo was the game reluctant to let you actually enjoy it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I am so pissed off Capcom listened to the people with the wrong opinion

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I remember RE6's core gameplay (run and shoot and punch off heads) being pretty satisfying, but holy poo poo was the game reluctant to let you actually enjoy it.

This is accurate. Fortunately the Mercs mode exists.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Raxivace posted:

Is there a recommended order of the campaigns in RE6?

If you bought the game on Steam then it's "right click, delete local content"

Otherwise you just go into "Add/remove programs" in the windows Control Panel and uninstall the game.

For it is utter shite, you see.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't sign your posts

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Outlast any good?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I just played through RE6 2 months ago and I don't remember any of the stuff you guys are talking about.

It's there. I thinks it's shortly after you escape from prison as Jake and before you run from a tank.

But I disagree, because it all sounds cool on paper but it's loving poo poo in game.

Like the t-rex is cool, until you realize that you fight the loving thing like 3 different times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

It's there. I thinks it's shortly after you escape from prison as Jake and before you run from a tank.

Oh I'm sure it's all there it's just impressive how forgettable that game was.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Outlast any good?

A bunch of people are going to say no, but imo it's good and the only game that's really creeped me the hell out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

A bunch of people are going to say no, but imo it's good and the only game that's really creeped me the hell out.

This explains so much

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

But I disagree, because it all sounds cool on paper but it's loving poo poo in game.

Like the t-rex is cool, until you realize that you fight the loving thing like 3 different times.
It's not even that. Leon's final boss is essentially 4 phases spread out over one and quarter chapters, with most of chapter 5 being "the player moves from boss arena to boss arena with tiny interludes in-between". Like, this is how it goes:

Phase 1: Centaur/panther thingie that shoots its bones on a subway train. Beating this phase ends the chapter.
Phase 2: Giant mutant T-Rex form, guest starring Ada. Which is preceded by a long walk to the intro level and then going through the intro level's set pieces all over again.
Phase 3: Centaur form round 2, but now includes a stabbing spike tail. Preceded by another walk to the boss arena. Doubles as Ada's final boss because Capcom had what should have been her final boss taken care of in chapter 4 of her campaign. Whoops.
Phase 4: Giant mutant fly form that absorbs zombie corpses to stay alive. Preceded by yet another walk to the boss arena. Also has a boss killing option that can bug out randomly.

In contrast, Jake and Chris have actual levels to play through and do stuff, then are followed by their respective final boss fights. Even if Chris' final boss sucks balls thanks to rapid QTEs and collision detection.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Outlast any good?

It gets a bad rap, I think. It doesn't do anything very original and likes to scream in your face way too often but it's perfectly serviceable if you're looking for run-and-hide suspense fare.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
For the question about RE6 campaigns on the last page there is a chronological order you can follow if you're willing to jump between campaigns. Technically Chris 2 should come first because it's in the past and all but it's the second level :v:

-Chris 1
-Chris 2
-Jake 1
-Jake 2
-Leon 1
-Leon 2
-Leon 3
-Jake 3
-Ada 1
-Ada 2
-Chris 3
-Jake 4
-Leon 4
-Chris 4
-Ada 3
-Ada 4
-Leon 5
-Ada 5
-Chris 5
-Jake 5

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Have they been doing any kind of marketing for Umbrella Corps because it's so weird that it's out in like 3 days

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It looks so bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Have they been doing any kind of marketing for Umbrella Corps because it's so weird that it's out in like 3 days

They didn't even have it playable at E3 which is immensely bizarre.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
No doubt they cut the cord on that poo poo long ago and are just pushing it to market because it's marginally finished now. Marketing is most of a game's budget, and you can exploit that to polish a turd, but in this case I wouldn't blame them for just cutting their losses and giving it negligible marketing funds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

General Morden posted:

i played 30 minutes into the chris campaign, decided that the game was garbage, and never touched the campaign ever again

mercs mode is fun as heck though

worth the $10 asking price just for that

This is my story, and it really came together with No Mercy Mercs. It's really really fun, especially if you have a partner. Regular mercs is cool but sometimes there are just no enemies to be found and it really kills the momentum of the game. Even worse when you have a partner and both of you are running around the level and can't find a single dude.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 19, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jia posted:

There's a terrible secret reason you shouldn't make her your wife. I'll tell you what that reason is when we get to the secret lab.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

There's a terrible secret reason you shouldn't make her your wife. I'll tell you what that reason is when we get to the secret lab.

Okay but first, let's get the hell out of here!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Okay but first, let's get the hell out of here!

<crashes 37 vehicles into each other, killing all civilians inside a ten mile radius> drat you Umbrella!

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So with RE7 being first person horror, are you guys excited for the Pewdeepie let's play? I hope there will be a lot of fun memes and that "the pewds" (that how us letsplayers fans call him) will make a lot of funny scared faces lol

hope it's at least as good as classics like slenderman the arrival and 5 nights at freddy 7 !

"don't forget to like share and suscribe" lmao so good it slays me

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

WitchFetish posted:

So with RE7 being first person horror, are you guys excited for the Pewdeepie let's play? I hope there will be a lot of fun memes and that "the pewds" (that how us letsplayers fans call him) will make a lot of funny scared faces lol

hope it's at least as good as classics like slenderman the arrival and 5 nights at freddy 7 !

I'm going to be watching Markiplier instead. Because a man going "Oh NOOOOOOOOO!" every ten seconds is just the best.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

WitchFetish posted:

"There have been a lot of bad first-person horror games, therefore all first-person horror games are bad" isn't a statement that makes sense to me

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

They are all bad, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I liked PT, but I guess that's not saying much

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm hoping for something more in the vein of Clive Barker's Undying, myself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SOMA was good as was the first Amnesia, Outlast was also decent.

But that's all I can think off, there's definitely more stinkers in the first person horror genre than good games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess it doesn't really count but Siren is probably the coolest horror series that's made use of first person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alteisen posted:

SOMA was good as was the first Amnesia, Outlast was also decent.

But that's all I can think off, there's definitely more stinkers in the first person horror genre than good games.

Well that's all genres though.

SOMA is great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the first hour or so of BioShock does horror pretty well, but then it just kind of becomes a regular FPS.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I thought Amnesia was really lame. The whole game kind of becomes pointless if you aren't experiencing some sense of fear, it just devolves into being ushered down a path. Not to be a tough guy or whatever but I just don't experience fear from video games, so that whole genre is basically lost on me if it can't offer some gameplay I can sink my teeth into.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, Amnesia did have puzzles and exploration and stuff. A Machine For Pigs is the one that had no actual "gameplay".

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like a lot of horror games lose their edge after the first time you die. Even if you're capable of suspending your disbelief and letting yourself actually feel fear, the illusion is fairly well shattered by loading your game after dying.

I think one of the reasons REmake is still so good is that even if you aren't scared by the monsters and atmosphere, the game mechanics still instill some anxiety into the player.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Amnesia spent so much time establishing that the protagonist was scared that it forgot to actually scare the player.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Geight posted:

I feel like a lot of horror games lose their edge after the first time you die. Even if you're capable of suspending your disbelief and letting yourself actually feel fear, the illusion is fairly well shattered by loading your game after dying.

I think one of the reasons REmake is still so good is that even if you aren't scared by the monsters and atmosphere, the game mechanics still instill some anxiety into the player.

Alien isolation stopped being scary because of this. By the time you got to medical, you die so many times that you stop being scared and start being annoyed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's something you can point at about the first three Silent Hill games, actually. I don't think I've ever died in any of them, aside from a couple of those gotcha instant-kill moments in the third one, but I still remember them as being terrifying.

Hell, one of the go-to strategies for beating the first game on the hardest difficulty is to deliberately go into the final battle without any ammunition. It'll just skip the last boss fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Crowetron posted:

Amnesia spent so much time establishing that the protagonist was scared that it forgot to actually scare the player.
The game kept changing the location of monsters to keep it fresh until you met the chained guy who killed all sense of tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Does System Shock 2 count? Game scared the heck out of me at least.