Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Uh. No . Howard is excellent at front office sources when he's in on the fo. Behind his Buffon Jewish Viking facade is a nominally competent reporter.

Various Philly FOs use him to leak official stories and storylines because he's been around for 30+ years and is the oldest/biggest Philly reporter, but he puts out a staggering amount of bullshit and makes Skip Bayless look calm, measured, and reasonable. He's an old school radio guy who never graduated past the shock jock phase of his career and is very resentful towards a lot of the new guys.

I may be biased because my impressions of him are from the 90s when he was a walking trainwreck; insulting every caller, being reallllly sexist, speaking 'ghetto' to black callers, being indirectly linked to a murder, trying to link Lindros and Joey Merlino, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sir_Charles posted:

Chriss was in Phoenix today having lunch with Ryan McDonough
https://twitter.com/stevefoote12/status/743915954036367360

The thing is I wouldn't be surprised if Chriss went at either of the Sun's picks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Him being available at 13 would be extremely surprising at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Various Philly FOs use him to leak official stories and storylines because he's been around for 30+ years and is the oldest/biggest Philly reporter, but he puts out a staggering amount of bullshit and makes Skip Bayless look calm, measured, and reasonable. He's an old school radio guy who never graduated past the shock jock phase of his career and is very resentful towards a lot of the new guys.

I may be biased because my impressions of him are from the 90s when he was a walking trainwreck; insulting every caller, being reallllly sexist, speaking 'ghetto' to black callers, being indirectly linked to a murder, trying to link Lindros and Joey Merlino, etc.

You are biased as he was/is an actual tv and print reporter besides being as I said a Buffoon on wip. He also for many many years was Vegas Vic for the daily news.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

He also for many many years was Vegas Vic for the daily news.

You're going to have to explain to me how this is a good thing instead of something that should be relentlessly mocked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I believe that Jakob Poleltl should be drafted ahead of anyone where "potential" is one of the first things said about them.

I believe Kaleb Tarczewski will still be better than some first round picks if he can get a shot to just to anchor a defense.

I believe that Zhou Qi is the player who has the best "dominate clearly inferior competition" footage of anyone in the draft.

I believe that the only player who there is more misinformation about than Dragan Bender is Ben Simmons.

I believe that Ainge has to draft a rotation player this year or lose his right to trade for draft picks.

I believe the Nuggets on the other hand really only need to draft to round out their Faried package to get them a pick in a stronger draft.

I believe that Rich Paul is going to try and force several of his players onto whichever team drafts Simmons after the draft for maximum leverage.

I believe that the Suns will draft another PG or combo guard.

I believe I have watched too much HBO tonight and seen too many Bill Simmons promos.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I believe I will throw up if the Bulls trade Jimmy Butler for the right to draft Buddy Hield

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Buddy hield refers to himself as buddy fresh when shooting. Update mocks and spreadsheets as needed

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrdT3qazKFY

the Draft is this Thursday :f5:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

360p what is this 2008?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hey Rick can you give me a rundown on the emotions I should be feeling for every possible pick? Thanks bae

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/744295777355210752

Wasn't this guy going in the 30s like a month ago

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/744295777355210752

Wasn't this guy going in the 30s like a month ago

Anywhere from #20-#40.

After #2 this draft is going to be crazy.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
http://thedoublescreen.com/words/2016-mock-draft-odyssey

I did my mock draft, it's gif + word heavy but was fun to do.

I really like this draft because nobody knows what is going on beyond the second pick, that's why 2013 was so fun when Cleveland hosed up so bad with Bennett.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Hey Rick can you give me a rundown on the emotions I should be feeling for every possible pick? Thanks bae

Simmons - Great
Ingram - Great
Hield - It's complicated because Hield had one of the best recent seasons and if that was his only season you might be really excited but then you remember he had a lot of mediocre seasons and become trepidatous.
Bender - Bad
Chriss - Bad
Dunn - Confused
Ellenson - Bad
Skal - Whatever feeling that one haves that means Mitch has the ability to look into a crystal ball and has made a very against-the-grain-pick because he knows.

I think those are the only people they've considered.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For what it's worth Hield is telling people he thinks he's going #2 after his workout today.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rick posted:

Simmons - Great
Ingram - Great
Hield - It's complicated because Hield had one of the best recent seasons and if that was his only season you might be really excited but then you remember he had a lot of mediocre seasons and become trepidatous.
Bender - Bad
Chriss - Bad
Dunn - Confused
Ellenson - Bad
Skal - Whatever feeling that one haves that means Mitch has the ability to look into a crystal ball and has made a very against-the-grain-pick because he knows.

I think those are the only people they've considered.

Alright I'll get hype about Simmons, Ingram, Heild and Skal. Time to watch highlight videos! Who do you want the most?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm a huge Hield homer, but fwiw saying he had a bunch of mediocre seasons isn't a great critique because he got significantly better each season. It wasn't like his freshman and senior years were good with mediocre middle seasons.

Also he calls himself Buddy Fresh so that's a pretty good reason to draft him alone.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 19, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Quandary posted:

I'm a huge Hield homer, bur fwiw saying he had a bunch of mediocre seasons isn't a great critique because he got significantly better each season. It wasn't like his freshman and senior years were good with mediocre middle seasons.

Also he calls himself Buddy Fresh so that's a pretty good reason to draft him alone.

Yeah, but the idea is that late bloomers are generally more developed than their peers and some of the advantages they had as an upperclassman will disappear when they get to the pros

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

So 16 players in the green room?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but the idea is that late bloomers are generally more developed than their peers and some of the advantages they had as an upperclassman will disappear when they get to the pros

Buddy's advantage consisted of being really good at putting the ball in the ring at various distances

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quandary posted:

I'm a huge Hield homer, but fwiw saying he had a bunch of mediocre seasons isn't a great critique because he got significantly better each season. It wasn't like his freshman and senior years were good with mediocre middle seasons.

He was really bad as a freshman and then pretty good but inefficient as a sophomore and junior before exploding as a senior. which is not a death sentence but isn't a super encouraging sign when you consider that most of he draft will be freshmen. As I've said before, when he was Jamal Murray's age he didn't even crack 30% from 3.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jaylen Brown had a second workout for the Celtics...what's another player on that team who can't shoot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/06/17/freelance-friday-expected-value-in-the-nba-draft/
Nice little draft vorp article by an anonymous man
--
I had an epiphany, Dejounte Murray is a frail Tyreke Evans. He could get stronger and b e an alright player.

MourningView posted:

He was really bad as a freshman and then pretty good but inefficient as a sophomore and junior before exploding as a senior. which is not a death sentence but isn't a super encouraging sign when you consider that most of he draft will be freshmen. As I've said before, when he was Jamal Murray's age he didn't even crack 30% from 3.

His limitations are obvious, but his strengths are oh so strong. All he needs to be a good NBA player is to tighten his handle enough to keep defenders from getting too close on the perimeter and play smart team defense. If he could improve his court vision, that would be nice. If he busts it will be because of his size and handle combined with bad fit wherever he's drafted.

Players I would draft if they cut their hair:
Jaylen Brown
Deandre Bembry
Players I'd need to see workout post haircut and then maybe I'd give them a draft:
Dejounte Murray

Some thoughts about Dragan:
He really can't jump, in fact it's a little sad watching him only get a little bit off the ground with a head of steam. He's not strong, and a lot of his driving to the hoop is just displacing smaller defenders in a way that might not work in the NBA. I still believe in his shooting, even if his percentages are bad. He has an impressive amount of craftiness for a 19 year old. He'll never be a rim protector or anything like it, I think NBA teams finally got to really watch him and saw his physical limitations, that's why he's slipping in mocks. I still like him, he plays tough, he seems to be a good passer although it's hard to glean that from condensed games, if he can guard 3-5, make threes, get to the rim enough to keep defenders honest, he could be a very valuable player.

Everyone is always looking for the next euro pick to be the last good euro pick, and he's not porzingis, so the shine came off. He's like the Croat Draymond Green without the stoutness. Especially now that he's in the 5-8 range, that sounds good to me.

Other thoughts: I can't make my mind up about Kris Dunn or Malik Beasley

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

People need to stop making charts like this

Like how do I even read it? It can't be individual chances because it goes over 100%, but they can't be additive because they don't add up to 100%

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

For what it's worth Hield is telling people he thinks he's going #2 after his workout today.

quote:

“This is what the franchise needs,” Hield said. “The Lakers are losing Kobe and they need a scorer. So why not call on me to fill in their spot?”

compelling point

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Like how do I even read it? It can't be individual chances because it goes over 100%, but they can't be additive because they don't add up to 100%

The chart definitely doesn't go over 100%, not sure where you're seeing that.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Quandary posted:

The chart definitely doesn't go over 100%, not sure where you're seeing that.

He's saying if you add each line across the same spot on the X axis on some areas it's over 100%

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
DeAndre Bembrey has the best hair in the draft

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched some Luwawu footage today. Im hyped for him. Looks like Manu to me. Wqs pulling off some really long stride stretch dunks ala Giannis. I know its not a real good league, but he looks cool and good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's odds to be or better than. So if you get a rotation player, it's better than that and a bust. The high bust line means the odds that your guy is better than a bust.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ that makes more sense ^^^

Metapod posted:

He's saying if you add each line across the same spot on the X axis on some areas it's over 100%

Yeah. For example, the first pick adds up to ~245%. But if it's a stacking graph then it stops at ~95%. Neither of these are how graphs work so they're doing something wrong and it bothers me because I don't know what they're trying to say outside of "higher picks have a higher chance to be better but they can also be bad" which, well, no poo poo.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I can't believe the big draft day trade rumor ended up being some lovely lopsided deal involving Boston.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I can't believe the big draft day trade rumor ended up being some lovely lopsided deal involving Boston.

I think Minnesota has a 50/50 shot moving the #5 too. It wouldn't surprise me if two picks in the top 5 get moved, which would be pretty big.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I still think all the smoke behind the Sixers trying to get another top 5 pick is going to amount to something as well.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

compelling point

I mean poo poo if the lakers are dumb enough to trade away Russell after one season for a pick they might as well double down on Bad Decisions

ButtWolf posted:

I watched some Luwawu footage today. Im hyped for him. Looks like Manu to me. Wqs pulling off some really long stride stretch dunks ala Giannis. I know its not a real good league, but he looks cool and good.

Serbian League is okay, it's not a crapshoot like Giannis' junior basketball league for wayward Greek children. That being said he's probably not gonna see a lot of time and I'm not wild about his jumpshot so unless he's running pick and rolls in his seven odd minutes per game he's probably going to look like poo butt rear end for his first year (although he can totally be a good player eventually)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any reason people like Patrick McCaw other than his physical specs? I've seen a lot of people pushing him as a good sleeper pick but he looks like a true second-rounder from everything I've read and watched

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Welcome back declan tell my why I should be excited about Jaylen Brown falling to the Kings

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hey, how the hell is there a Syracuse wing that shot 37% from the field projected to go in the lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Welcome back declan tell my why I should be excited about Jaylen Brown falling to the Kings

He's already physically ready to brick shots at an NBA level

Basically he didn't get coached a ton at Cal and cleaning up his mechanics will probably render him as an okay spot up shooter. He doesn't hog the ball either so when teams start cheating off of him to keep him from slashing he can actually take advantage, like, a little bit, but he's not a drive and kick dude (at least not yet)

Basically as long as you surround him with shooters and provide a stable coaching situation he could be an all-star

• Locked thread