Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gorgolflox posted:

This game has bomb arrows? I really hope there is a crafting system for items and such. I want bomb arrows, I want a million of them.

The arrows we've seen are bomb, fire, ice, and lightsaber. Because like any rational person would the Hyleans took light sword technology and decided the smart thing to do was put it on the end of a stick and launch it at people really far away.

e: I look forward to finding some in a cave nine seconds into a game and using them to hunt deer.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Hedrigall posted:

(I didn't make this)

This is amazing

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't expect them to do this at all, but I would rather get rid of the whole portable system/console dichotomy and release a system that is both. With Sony having clearly stated that they are not making any more portable consoles, though, that may change things although neither the PSP nor the Vita ever really competed with Nintendo's systems, so perhaps it doesn't matter. Nevertheless, I would still like to see a system where you can play the same games on a television but also on the go.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I, personally, would not like that. I have a phone. I don't want a console to be gimped just so that I have slightly better games that I can take on the go with me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

phone games suck

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

JustJeff88 posted:

With Sony having clearly stated that they are not making any more portable consoles, though, that may change things although neither the PSP nor the Vita ever really competed with Nintendo's systems,

Not outside of Japan perhaps, but the PSP was an absolute behemoth in native territories (mostly thanks to MH but still). They know they can't grasp lightning twice and now that Capcom is on with Nintendo, there's little point in trying.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

This game has bomb arrows? I really hope there is a crafting system for items and such. I want bomb arrows, I want a million of them.

We haven't seen it, but crafting has been confirmed to be in. The descriptions of rubies and sapphires mention containing the power of fire and ice, respectively, making me think they'll be used for crafting fire and ice arrows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing bomb arrows will involve rock salt(as a saltpeter stand-in) and probably another ingredient, plus arrows. I'm guessing you'll need to get to a town or forge out in the wild to start making some stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

feedmyleg posted:

I, personally, would not like that. I have a phone. I don't want a console to be gimped just so that I have slightly better games that I can take on the go with me.

I don't think that you have to gimp a console to do that.

Cake Attack posted:

phone games suck

I wouldn't go that far, but they are limited. Nobody wants to admit that touch controls have a lot of drawbacks, are also very limited, and don't work well with certain genres of games. A lack of tactile feedback is a killer, but simple touch games appeal to "casual" gamers.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
What happens if Link runs out of weapons entirely? Can he bust out some sick Muy Thai?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that you have to gimp a console to do that.

By all means then please explain how to fit a PS4's guts into a Vita's form factor :allears:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Nickoten posted:

What happens if Link runs out of weapons entirely? Can he bust out some sick Muy Thai?

Doesn't look like it, Link just tries to pull out a sword and looks at his hand in confusion. You would have to find a tree branch or something, or just start lobbing blue bombs at the enemies. It seems very easy to run away from a fight, to be honest.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Link not being able to punch is a travesty and I demand that Nintendo fix this right now.

Also add in boxing gloves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You'll just have to wait for nightfall and raid a bokoblin camp to take all their weapons and then blow them up in their sleep like a true hero.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gorgolflox posted:

Link not being able to punch is a travesty and I demand that Nintendo fix this right now.

The guy who's directing the game didn't just direct Skyward Sword and the Minish Cap, he was also a part of the team that done did the Oracle games way back when.

I hope they include a random rear end witch you can just launch into and ruin her day.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Gorgolflox posted:

maybe there's a Sheikah Slate upgrade that gives you a sock filled with rocks

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lemming posted:

From all accounts I've seen the chugging was an artifact of the stream and not the demo itself. I haven't seen anyone who's played the game said the framerate was dropping much.

Some of the giant bomb guys played the demo and did a mini podcast that day and while they liked it they noted the framerate was rough at spots.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The guy who's directing the game didn't just direct Skyward Sword and the Minish Cap, he was also a part of the team that done did the Oracle games way back when.

I hope they include a random rear end witch you can just launch into and ruin her day.

Now that I think about it, didn't one of the GB games have a boxing segment?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Nickoten posted:

I remember a boxing kangaroo.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I remember a boxing kangaroo.

Ricky! He was my favorite of the animal friends, and also the best :colbert:

Besides horses, do you think there will be other things to ride on? Somebody mentioned taming one of the deers, and that would be cool, but I think riding one of the forest boars would be cooler.

e: hell, what if there's loftwings?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 19, 2016

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Blaino from Link's Awakening, yeah.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You boxed a weird black ball guy, as link, in one of the Oracle ones too, to get the horn for your animal.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It was in Oracle of Seasons, and you could also box him for money after getting Ricky's gloves back.

There was also a fist ring that let you punch.

I enjoyed the Oracle games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think that's probably what I'm remembering.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

greatn posted:

You boxed a weird black ball guy, as link, in one of the Oracle ones too, to get the horn for your animal.

Look, I know the sprites on the Gameboy were kinda small, but I thought he was obviously a penguin?

Also Blaino (the aforementioned boxing penguin) shows up in both Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I couldn't tell he was a penguin until I GISed him.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nahxela posted:

I couldn't tell he was a penguin until I GISed him.

I always thought he was some racist caricature that NOA edited.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The arrows we've seen are bomb, fire, ice, and lightsaber. Because like any rational person would the Hyleans took light sword technology and decided the smart thing to do was put it on the end of a stick and launch it at people really far away.

e: I look forward to finding some in a cave nine seconds into a game and using them to hunt deer.

I thought the fire arrows just exploded when they hit, but if you light a regular arrow on fire it will apply the fire effect but not explode.

Edit: Never mind, I just found a video of fire arrows, and they only project their fire explosion in a small radius, not like the one you see in the video where LInk is fighting a guardian.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 19, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I got a feeling that the glowing arrow is going to be a shiekah slate weapon, like the bombs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how long until we have sheikah slate tablet/phone covers

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

JOHN CENA posted:

how long until we have sheikah slate tablet/phone covers

frrrrrt http://www.redbubble.com/shop/sheikah+iphone-cases

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bman in 2288 posted:

I got a feeling that the glowing arrow is going to be a shiekah slate weapon, like the bombs.

The color and design definitely match up with the bomb designs and overall Sheikah technology.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wouldn't be too shocked if there's more apps after you clear the plateau and that it's relatively quick to get that one if you go on a certain path.

Also, went to Nintendo's BotW page to see if they had some official phone wallpapers or something and this game's genre is "Open-Air Adventure" :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know what I want? Considering how big the game world is, I want to see them bring back the birds from Skyward Sword so you can actually use one as Skyward Sword implied with it's intro - adventuring round the world with your bird buddy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A flying mount would be pretty cool and makes sense if the world really is massive. I hope it would be something weird though like a repurposed guardian or something.

I'm excited to see what they do with towns and characters. I thought that was one of Skyward Sword's best aspects so hopefully it's equal to that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna play some fuckin Zeldas to get excited :3:

First up, the copy of TPHD I got day 1 and haven't opened yet.

Then, probably LTTP. I'll see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hedrigall posted:

I'm gonna play some fuckin Zeldas to get excited :3:

First up, the copy of TPHD I got day 1 and haven't opened yet.

Then, probably LTTP. I'll see.

Did you get the version with a Wolf Link amiibo? It'll be important later. Plus it's a REALLY pretty amiibo :allears:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
gently caress flying mounts, just let people do this:

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Has it been said what is stopping Link from just climbing down the side of the Great Plateau?

I do think it's kind of novel to create a zone boundary the way they have; it's not magic, it's not lock and key, it's not a real wall or an invisible code wall or a pit of spikes or a moat of poison... it's just the plain, matter of fact obstacle of being too high up on a landmass. Pretty neat.

My guess is the plateau height is too tall for the duration of your initial stamina level? I wonder how far down you could climb while also letting go for little drops in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really like the art style in this game.

But I'd kill to have it be cel shaded in the same way that Studio Ghibli game is.