Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Also, scopes are pretty nice to loot when you see them. Pull them off the rifle and it's like 2000rub each. Sell to stalkers, not traders. You get better rates for your useless poo poo. When all the stalkers in the area are out of money, kill them and take your stuff back then you can sell to Sid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Scope and suppressor collecting is more lucrative than artefact hunting.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
A fun thing I found you can do with the faction warfare mod for CoC is randomize all of the values for faction strength, population, aggressiveness, etc. I normally randomize it after a few ironman deaths, and it's lead to a few interesting scenarios, like the last of Duty defending the bar from a zombie onslaught.

There's a few other settings you can mess with, mostly related to your starting zone, and a few others that will randomize your spawn location and faction by default, as well as allowing you to spawn in the Labs or the CNPP

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Nails posted:

I recently decided to check out CoC with AO installed, and I can't tell if I'm out of practice, or if things are just somehow tuned to be exceptionally brutal. My first start was as a Loner, and I found myself sandwiched between both of the military blockades with no real way to negotiate my way through due to the faction being KoS. After a while, I just gave up, because I had no luck punching my way through either of them. The second time, I started with Clear Sky, and things were a lot better initially. But, eventually, taking a mission to bring a PDA to Nimble, I find myself more or less in the exact same position. Is there something I'm forgetting, or is the Cordon in general just a total murderfuck no matter what? I beat SoC on Master, and I remember the end feeling like such a painful slog that I thought "Man, I'm going to play on normal from now on." Even on "Stalker" in CoC, I am still getting wrecked in a couple of shots. I feel like I remember that always being the case in the beginning, but I can't quite remember how to get around it. Do I just take mutant killing missions in the Great Swamp area until I can buy some better armor, or is that experience basically CoC in a nutshell?

Is there a different recommended start or any other advice anyone's got for getting a foothold?

You're definitely not alone. Download the new RC 1.4 (or something) mod from the addons on Moddb. It gives you the opportunity to start somewhere else (like the Bar area) as a loner, and it's a much more gentle opening.

It -sorta- makes a twisted amount of sense that the Cordon would be so hellishly difficult, cause the military presence should, honestly, be strongest and most influential there. It's just not a great place to start as a loner.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Beta Patch 1.4 RC 3.1 http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/beta-patch-14-rc :v:

And yeah, definitely a softer landing into the zone starting in the Bar. Starting as a Mono in the Brain Scorcher is really fun too. And starting an Ecologist in the bunker at Jupiter is a lot better than Yantar.

Though my favorite place to start as a loner is Pripyat Outskirts. Might not be for you little shrimps. :smuggo:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Hey, started CoP again recently to try out CoC and I was wondering if using scopes was supposed to make everything in your vision darker? Is this is intended or is it on my end?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How do I get actors.ltx to show up for SOC? I have the ZRP working, as well as the shaders, but I don't see the file that lets me change your height.

The game is running fine but my shadows in SOC are behaving strangely, they are "warping" along the edges of my screen, whenever they come into view. Is there a fix for that? It happens in modded and unmodded Stalker.

Also is there a different location for the CS/COP shaders in the OP here?

quote:

Clear Sky/Call of Pripyat

OH MY GOD DOWNLOAD THIS IMMEDIATELY!!

They're set to private.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 8, 2016

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
CoC + AO is very brutal. Had a mission to rescue a loner from the far end of the swamp during the start of the game. Made it all the way there and a psi-storm breaks out. I run away from the area to keep him alive and come back and take care of the bandits. Then on the way back the idiot start a gunfight with another bandit camp. I reload and go the other direction and run in to yet another bandit camp. The game really does not want this dude to live.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Xenolalia posted:

Hey, started CoP again recently to try out CoC and I was wondering if using scopes was supposed to make everything in your vision darker? Is this is intended or is it on my end?

CoC is standalone, don't install it inside your CoP folder. Not sure if you have.

Node posted:

How do I get actors.ltx to show up for SOC? I have the ZRP working, as well as the shaders, but I don't see the file that lets me change your height.

The game is running fine but my shadows in SOC are behaving strangely, they are "warping" along the edges of my screen, whenever they come into view. Is there a fix for that? It happens in modded and unmodded Stalker..

ZRP's modifier.exe will install actors.ltx for you, dig around in it. Eye height can be set directly from modifier.exe too. There are a lot of options, try using the drop down in the upper left to switch contexts.

For the shadows, open your console with the ~ key and then enter "r2_sun_near_border 1." without the quotes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

v1ld posted:

ZRP's modifier.exe will install actors.ltx for you, dig around in it. Eye height can be set directly from modifier.exe too. There are a lot of options, try using the drop down in the upper left to switch contexts.

For the shadows, open your console with the ~ key and then enter "r2_sun_near_border 1." without the quotes.

That fixed the shadows, thank you.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

v1ld posted:

CoC is standalone, don't install it inside your CoP folder. Not sure if you have.

Thanks for the heads up, although it turned out it was a hardware issue.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Is Rostok problematic for anyone else? I goto the bar(Rostok on the map) and try to clear it as military and the game will always crash like 10 seconds after I fire the first shot. I'm just guessing that's because so many people are turning hostile at once because it's packed with all the factions. Also any military inside the bar go apeshit as well.

This is in CoC 1.3.2 with the latest AO3.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Got a new run going with latest version of COC, AO3 (which I apparently never had working properly before), and Warfare. What a time to be alive!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I just got a new gaming rig. My roommate told me explicitly not to download STALKER. I was going to test ArmA, but guess what I'm testing first! I'm an rear end and now they can't play LoL as I soak up bandwith.

(seriously, I haven't been able to run any game post 2003 on max settings, most on minimum)

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
In CoP (vanilla), I think i messed up. I'm trying to get the Monolith squad accepted by (hell, anybody) and I'm pretty sure I can't any more. I've already got Man of Balance, so no PDA. I turned Flint directly into Gonta. All the mutant missions are done (and I accidentally did the bloodsucker nest one before it was offered). Probably going to have to revert to an old save, right?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there an updated link for the .dll that helps reduce the microstutter in CS and COP? The link is set to a private page.

Rigel posted:

Got a new run going with latest version of COC, AO3 (which I apparently never had working properly before), and Warfare. What a time to be alive!

Is there a more in depth readme about what CoC actually does? I see the image on moddb which has just a few points, but I'd like a more descriptive one.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 17, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Node posted:

Is there a more in depth readme about what CoC actually does? I see the image on moddb which has just a few points, but I'd like a more descriptive one.

Lot of maps for a big ol' sandbox for you to shoot things! Tons of addon mods that enhance the shooting of things!

Go hog wild!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I tried OGSE, but god drat it's way too annoying to be fun. It's like one of those cheap "hard mode" hacks in a JPRG where you're given no warnings for anything, you're horribly outgunned and everything can easily kill you. The economy is way too busted as well; it's piss easy to get a ton of ammo and grenades early on. The only chance I had in combat was spamming grenades because even popping out of cover would get be killed in two shots by an aimbot-like NPC.

Autumn Aurora has been a much better experience for me. It's still hard, but much more manageable even though I still occasionally get jumped by some random jackass just when I think I've cleared out the entire area, even with liberal binoculars use. I only had major hickups in the Agroprom Underground (mostly because I forgot there were humans wandering around it). It looks gorgeous too. I wish more of the unused weapons were added to give enemies more weapon variety, but it's not that big of a deal since I managed to score a sweet scoped Abakan, making encounters a lot easier.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I played Clear Sky when it first came out, and I don't think I finished it because it's just... bad, compared to SoC. I'm playing it again, but this time I'm noticing that the factions are at a complete stalemate. The Loners have the two entrances to the Cordon in the Garbage, but they aren't attacking anyone else. When I ask any squad leader if I can help, they say I can't. Faction Wars was CS's big gimmick, and it kinda sucked, but I remember it sort of working. Is there something I can do to make them start trying to capture territory again?

edit: I'm playing with Clear Sky Complete, if it makes a difference.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 20, 2016

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I tried OGSE, but god drat it's way too annoying to be fun. It's like one of those cheap "hard mode" hacks in a JPRG where you're given no warnings for anything, you're horribly outgunned and everything can easily kill you. The economy is way too busted as well; it's piss easy to get a ton of ammo and grenades early on. The only chance I had in combat was spamming grenades because even popping out of cover would get be killed in two shots by an aimbot-like NPC.

Autumn Aurora has been a much better experience for me. It's still hard, but much more manageable even though I still occasionally get jumped by some random jackass just when I think I've cleared out the entire area, even with liberal binoculars use. I only had major hickups in the Agroprom Underground (mostly because I forgot there were humans wandering around it). It looks gorgeous too. I wish more of the unused weapons were added to give enemies more weapon variety, but it's not that big of a deal since I managed to score a sweet scoped Abakan, making encounters a lot easier.

I'll agree with you on ogse having a steep learning curve, and with the new 0693 version it has definitely gotten steeper. I'm enjoying the new changes for the most part, but it is ridiculously easy to get guns, ammo and money early on. However its also ridiculously easy to catch bullets too.

Right now im trying to get into agroprom underground but the usual entrance after you save Mole is closed for some stupid reason, very annoying.

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
The entrance to the underground is in the middle of the area with the silo things, to the right as you face the hole in the wall that Mole leads you through to the usual entrance to AU.

I've been enjoying OGSE overall, although those red pseudodog things are stupidly overpowered when you first encounter them, and some of the 'scavenger hunt' type quests are annoying.

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
Double post sorry.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In Autumn Aurura 2, can NPCs steal items from your stashes like in OGSE? I've reached the Bar and am wondering if I should deposit my items in the usual blue box at the Bar or try somewhere else if NPCs are going to steal from it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A mod posted by a possible Russion on fallout 4 makes me want this in the zone http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15398/ also : just the vidyah of the mo0d, should you not be bothered with the nexus or fo4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGww8pFpF0

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

staberind posted:

A mod posted by a possible Russion on fallout 4 makes me want this in the zone http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15398/ also : just the vidyah of the mo0d, should you not be bothered with the nexus or fo4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGww8pFpF0

this is very possibly one of the worst mods for any videogame I have ever seen. extremely nice

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

this is very possibly one of the worst mods for any videogame I have ever seen. extremely nice

If it's on Nexus, there's a good chance all the NPC models will have large dicks attached now.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
at that point just give the dogs unlimited hp and make the invincible dog complaints from the sa staker thread 9 years ago into a legitimate issue

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Killswitch posted:

If it's on Nexus, there's a good chance all the NPC models will have large dicks attached now.

and at the same time bc it's nexus that means there's 20k+ people getting unironic enjoyment out of it which is more than hostile bloatfly gun has going for it unfortunately

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The thing that pushed me over the edge with OGSE and made me stop playing it was a serious graphical bug that made the entire screen (except for the HUD and some special effects) turn pitch-black, making it impossible to keep playing. I was going to bump the difficulty down a bit, but the black screen glitch suddenly appeared and made things balls hard. Try to fight a Pseudodog or a Chimera with it being impossible to see the bastard once it got behind you. I'm sure i could fix it by reverting graphical drivers or what have you, but that's too much of a pain.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

closeted republican posted:

In Autumn Aurura 2, can NPCs steal items from your stashes like in OGSE? I've reached the Bar and am wondering if I should deposit my items in the usual blue box at the Bar or try somewhere else if NPCs are going to steal from it.

No, NPCs don't steal from stashes in AA2. I'm pretty sure they don't steal from blue boxes in OGSE.

They will steal from all boxes in AMK and mods based on AMK (Joint Pak, ZoA).

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

is there an updated mod list for call of pripyat somewhere by any chance? the one in the OP was last updated in 2013, and i'd love to know what sort of stuff is out there for it now

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ThePutty posted:

is there an updated mod list for call of pripyat somewhere by any chance? the one in the OP was last updated in 2013, and i'd love to know what sort of stuff is out there for it now

i'd like to know this too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The only major problem I'm having with AA2 is that there's just way too much drat foliage in certain areas. The AI can see through it with no problem, but you can't. I've found that a combo of aggressively using the binoculars in conjunction with the "Contacts" part of the PDA to find enemies (which you should be doing anyway :v:), then grenade spamming areas with enemies and foliage in them makes it much more manageable. Wild Territory was the worst offender for this.

Thankfully, NPCs seem to carry at least one grenade with them at all times they're willing to sell, so grenade stockpiling isn't hard. Before starting a new main quest, I usually go out with 11 RGD-5s and 11 F1s.

Also, I got a goddamn F2000 from Wolfhound. :stare: Time to start looking for 5.56 AP ammo and lots of M209 grenades.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Use the Thanatos textures, they are less dense. You can install them at any time, won't affect your save obviously. Look under the data directory in the installer for them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm finally playing Call of Pripyat, after all these years. The polish (for a GSC game) is amazing. So is the balancing, like how healing items do it over time, instead of instantly. I'm having an annoying issue with the game, however. Whenever I try to pick up a single item from among many, I, well, can't. The game picks up everything. I know in the two previous games it would only pick up whatever I had my cursor on. In CoP, it's kinda annoying that it scoops everything up around the cursor. Is there a way to change that?

Also, is this game a little short? I notice that it only has three large maps, and within a couple hours the game has handed me a SPAS-12 and a TRs 301, both of which you don't get right away in the previous two games.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Node posted:

Is there an updated link for the .dll that helps reduce the microstutter in CS and COP? The link is set to a private page.

CoC basically combines all three games into one minus the special missions outside of "find a way to shut down the scorcher", unless you start as Monolith. You get to choose what faction you start with. My biggest gripe the last I played it was the wear rate on weapons. It always seemed like two or three mags and your gun was worn down enough to start misfiring at those special times.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SocketWrench posted:

CoC basically combines all three games into one minus the special missions outside of "find a way to shut down the scorcher", unless you start as Monolith. You get to choose what faction you start with. My biggest gripe the last I played it was the wear rate on weapons. It always seemed like two or three mags and your gun was worn down enough to start misfiring at those special times.

it's structured? I thought it was just a shitload of places to go and do whatever. Thats cool. I might give that a shot, actually.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Basically everyone gets the job "shut off the brain scorcher" and that's it, which requires a trip to yantar where they'll ask you to shut off the machine there too. Monolith however doesn't get that job, so they're relegated to the little trader quests or just randomly causing trouble somewhere. There's no real goal though as once the scorcher's shut off, there's no more special missions.
Everything's based off the CoP setup in relation to weapon degrading, upgrading, hud and inventory. For me without a goal to the game it just got really boring. Shoot this, shoot that, run around, grab this, shoot some more stuff. Yeah, it's awesome with all the maps together, and the Red Forest is still the biggest "gently caress you" in it, but yeah, gets boring without the special stuff

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

My favourite CoC moment is the first time I went to Red Forest, which was during a thunderstorm at night while it was crawling with bandits and military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

SocketWrench posted:

Basically everyone gets the job "shut off the brain scorcher" and that's it, which requires a trip to yantar where they'll ask you to shut off the machine there too. Monolith however doesn't get that job, so they're relegated to the little trader quests or just randomly causing trouble somewhere. There's no real goal though as once the scorcher's shut off, there's no more special missions.
Everything's based off the CoP setup in relation to weapon degrading, upgrading, hud and inventory. For me without a goal to the game it just got really boring. Shoot this, shoot that, run around, grab this, shoot some more stuff. Yeah, it's awesome with all the maps together, and the Red Forest is still the biggest "gently caress you" in it, but yeah, gets boring without the special stuff

I find it takes a bit of roleplaying. Then you're just making your own goals while increasing your insanely large stash of poo poo you'll mostly never use. I like playing as the military. For them I guess it's mostly patrolling the zone and killing everything.

Although a real punch to the gut recently came last night as I entered the truck cemetery for the first time and the game just crashes. This might be a problem for the military or it might not.

And why have I not seen a mutant like ever drag away a dead body except in that one part in the beginning of SHoC? It's a small thing but it makes a world of difference.