Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A real update this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWkEIrjs30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
As soon as you trash-talked the difficulty level, I just KNEW you were going to lose a life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I finally finish the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRVt-HBruQ

Stick around for a few bonuses, starting with a couple of extra things I want to show off in this game, and then a quick look at the sequel, the NES version, and Pioneer Ksenia.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I'm glad to see this finished.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'll miss hearing "Welcome back to Captain Comic!" every three weeks or so.

Looking forward to the bonus videos :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cmndstab posted:

I'll miss hearing "Welcome back to Captain Comic!" every three weeks or so.

That's very nice of you to say. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Today we see the effects of the lantern (or rather, the effects of not having the lantern). There's one more little bit of this game to do and then I'll do a video each for the sequel and Pioneer Ksenia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj9U2FFQLf4

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 4, 2016

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I always wondered if it would be possible to get the crown without getting the lantern, since the level is there, just not being rendered. And the enemies show up, so feasibly if you memorized the layout, you could do it.

I never actually tried that, though, given that I was a kid, and was pretty terrible at the game anyway. And being pre-internet, finding a map of the castle online wasn't exactly possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thedaian posted:

I always wondered if it would be possible to get the crown without getting the lantern, since the level is there, just not being rendered. And the enemies show up, so feasibly if you memorized the layout, you could do it.

I never actually tried that, though, given that I was a kid, and was pretty terrible at the game anyway. And being pre-internet, finding a map of the castle online wasn't exactly possible.

I think I'm pretty decent at the game, but I'm not even going to try that. I have thought about it though. I mean, you could just screenshot the game as you played through the level normally, then figure out where you were by the obstacles. It's not a complex level. It's almost certainly doable. The enemies aren't even much of a problem.

Nah, I'm still not doing it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I think I'm pretty decent at the game, but I'm not even going to try that. I have thought about it though. I mean, you could just screenshot the game as you played through the level normally, then figure out where you were by the obstacles. It's not a complex level. It's almost certainly doable. The enemies aren't even much of a problem.

Nah, I'm still not doing it.

Get one of those emulators they use for TAS recordings, with replay-ability.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

One last look at the original Captain Comic before I move on to the sequel, NES version, and Ksenia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwqGnq6Fuk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, here it is, almost certainly the most controversial opinion of the thread: I don't like Captain Comic 2 at all. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgN7jYFaPQ

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
You were so close to opening up the rest of the game, but you kept avoiding the entrance.

Right after the first underwater section through the abandoned building, you needed to keep going to the right, instead of going up the stairs and trying to fight the tanks. On the next screen, there's an alien that tells you where to go, and a long set of stairs to climb. You can also get a pickaxe, which lets you open the treasure chests. The numbers that you kept picking up act like coins in Mario, and if you get 100, you get a new life. The locked door you found after discovering that you can go through waterfalls is the third area you go to from the main planet map, it leads into a temple area that eventually opens up and lets you explore the rest of the game's worlds.

It's technically spoilers, but since you aren't likely to show off the rest of the game, Here's the full Captain Comic 2 map

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
A lot of your other complaints are extremely valid. The game gives you a lot of ways to go at the start, and a lot of those routes lead to dead ends that just result in a ton of wasted time until you come back to them later with the right keys or equipment. And it pulls a few dick moves (there's an important item that's disguised as a broken, useless item early in the game that you'd normally dump somewhere, or not even bother picking up). A couple of the enemies are impossible to deal with at first, and the underwater sections are horribly slow (though most of them take place near the beginning of the game).

The reason for saving after you died is because you can reload the save and all your items and progress so far will still be there, but you'll have a new set of lives. Basically, you can load your Tiggum save and you'll already have the key you picked up, which will give you access to the shortcut you found through the glass door.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thedaian posted:

You were so close to opening up the rest of the game, but you kept avoiding the entrance.

Right after the first underwater section through the abandoned building, you needed to keep going to the right, instead of going up the stairs and trying to fight the tanks.
:aaaaa:

I never even considered walking that way. Looking at it now I can see that there's no wall there, which is presumably supposed to be a hint, but it's yet another thing in this game that's really not obvious when you don't already know what you're looking for.

thedaian posted:

A lot of your other complaints are extremely valid. The game gives you a lot of ways to go at the start, and a lot of those routes lead to dead ends that just result in a ton of wasted time until you come back to them later with the right keys or equipment. A couple of the enemies are impossible to deal with at first, and the underwater sections are horribly slow (though most of them take place near the beginning of the game).
I'm getting the impression that the game is basically at its worst at the beginning. A terrible way to design a game as it leaves the majority of players with a poor impression, but understandable in a game made by one guy in 1990.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think the game could be good; the focus on exploration seems like fun, but some pop-up hints in a smaller tutorial area would've gone a long way.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
There's also 10 hints and tips in the manual for the sequel. Most of them are pretty standard platforming fare, or deal with how to best use the attacks, stuff that players of the first game would pick up quickly enough.

It also mentions that the first goal is getting into the research station. And that you should try leaving every screen by pressing against all open edges (including up and down), and it mentions invisible blocks.

The game came out in the era when in-game tutorials simply didn't exist, and you usually needed the manual to know the basic controls, as well as have some idea of what you're doing. Unfortunately, the game isn't designed as well as others that lack in-game tutorials, so there's issues like background artwork not being clear vs platforms, or enemies.

I'd be tempted to do an LP of the sequel myself, but I'm pretty terrible at platformer games in general, and there's some really difficult parts to the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thanks in large part to laserghost for making me aware of it in the first place, here's a bit of Pioneer Ksenia, the weird Ukrainian Captain Comic mod/knockoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZQre142BCA

More information and the game itself can be found at these sites:

https://sites.google.com/site/pionerkaksenia/home
http://www.mobygames.com/game/prigodi-pionerki-kseni

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I liked the monolithic submarine and big ol' Lenin poster, at least. :shobon:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That's really strange and weird.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I completely forgot about that part with wall repaired with barbed wire and tank sign on it. Creepily reminding how the fall of Soviet Union was in-progress during the release of the game. Reminds me also the story behind ZX Spectrum emulator Warajevo, which was developed during the Bosnian War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

And here's the final video, a quick look at the surprisingly decent NES port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUywtnWVyg

See also: Full review by Taylor "Psychosis" Bell.

Plus the full playthrough sans commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aictW7o5hE

Thanks to everyone who watched, hope you all enjoyed it.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread