Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
HP and Dell do this too (other manufacturers too probably) - it's a regulatory compliance thing

Shouldn't be difficult to source a whitelisted Lenovo card though - squllions of them on ebay all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I ditched team viewer and have started using the native Win10 RDP which has a nice iPhone app. It works well on LAN but is it safe to port forward so I can use it from elsewhere?

My router supports DD-WRT so I could use that to run a VPN server but is it overkill? Or is there a better solution?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bigis posted:

I ditched team viewer and have started using the native Win10 RDP which has a nice iPhone app. It works well on LAN but is it safe to port forward so I can use it from elsewhere?

My router supports DD-WRT so I could use that to run a VPN server but is it overkill? Or is there a better solution?

Its open to the world so it could be port scanned or exploited in some way but its highly unlikely, especially if you change the default port. What I did was modify login GPO to only allow 3 login attempts with a 30 minute lockout period in between. I also changed the port to something random, most of the automated script kiddie tools just use a set of default port ranges. If you have a static IP you could also whitelist it. Technically its still security by obscurity but I can't be arsed to setup IPsec and etc, if some chinese hacker goes to all that trouble for my 1990s mp3 collection and old pictures then uh have fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On the other hand, Raspberry Pis are cheap and Openconnect is extremely easy to set up and use.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geemer posted:

Don't even bother trying to replace the lovely stock wifi card with a better one. Lenovo whitelists which cards are allowed and refuses to boot if a different one is detected unless you're comfortable running a modded BIOS.

The takeaway from this is and all the prior event factory-bundled MitM attack and malware vectors: Never buy Lenovo, ever.

You should be comfortable running the modded BIOS, especially on older Thinkpads. They've held up for a long time without issues, and often have other benefits like clearing up restrictions on SATA speeds that didn't matter for period hard drives, but seriously slow an SSD replacement.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bigis posted:

If you use port redirection rather that port forwarding you'll probably be OK. VPN would be much better though.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Ok thanks all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows is asking me if I want to back up my drive encryption key, but I haven't encrypted anything, to the best of my knowledge. I recently set up File History, is that what it means?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows is asking me if I want to back up my drive encryption key, but I haven't encrypted anything, to the best of my knowledge. I recently set up File History, is that what it means?

Bitlocker could be turned on for your full hard drive, a USB drive, or your profile folder. Hit Windows key and type Bitlocker then check there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nothing is encrypted in Bitlocker, but I just noticed a certificate backup for Mumble in my Documents folder, so I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I did as Windows asked and the .pfx file it created is 2.45kb in size, I'm guessing I can just leave it there and not worry about it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Anyone had problems with UWP apps and the SM since the last cumulative update (meaning the one doled out to those not on the insider builds)? I've had about 5 instances of UWP apps/SM not responding that have required reboots to remedy since the update earlier in the week - which is about the same amount as I had to do for ~5 months previous.

On that note, is there a procedure (don't say sfc /scannow) that can remedy the Start Menu not responding aside from a full reboot? I've played around with processes but nothing as simple as with W7 by just restarting explorer.exe that's obvious.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Buy an SSD so a 'full reboot' isn't some arduous task that needs other solutions. Rebooting in TYOOL2016 should take 60 seconds or less.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have an SSD at home so it's nightmarish having a regular HD in my work PC.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I reboot once a month for security updates.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
God, I just want to emphasis how lovely the Windows 10 search experience is, I am literally starring at the shortcuts to all my programs that are in my start menu folder, Search will pick up some but others seem to not even exist according to Search, it won't pick up my Steam shortcut for example (even going all apps > looking under the letter "S", it's not there), but I can click on it just fine to launch it. I've tried rebuilding the index cache but still no go.

Also in Control Panel > Programs and Features > then sort by "Installed On"

Is it just me or is this buggy, it shows that things are installed on "6/20/2016" which is today but in fact I installed these things weeks ago. (not my picture, but this is the problem I'm seeing)

And why is my Firefox icon grey (again, not my picture but exact same thing I'm seeing).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the answer to your whole post is "who the gently caress knows"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

God, I just want to emphasis how lovely the Windows 10 search experience is, I am literally starring at the shortcuts to all my programs that are in my start menu folder, Search will pick up some but others seem to not even exist according to Search, it won't pick up my Steam shortcut for example (even going all apps > looking under the letter "S", it's not there), but I can click on it just fine to launch it. I've tried rebuilding the index cache but still no go.

I posted this in another thread but here:

https://ninite.com/classicstart-everything/ninite.exe

One click to fix all your Search and Menu poo poo, by installing Everything Search and Classic Shell. Now it's just like Windows 7.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Everything search should be purchased by MS and embedded in Windows.
[edit] Classic Shell doesn't actually use Everything for searching does it?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 20, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Everything search should be purchased by MS and embedded in Windows.
[edit] Classic Shell doesn't actually use Everything for searching does it?

I think Classic Shell just uses Windows Search's engine, though with a better presentation. Everything actually finds everything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Zero VGS posted:

I think Classic Shell just uses Windows Search's engine, though with a better presentation. Everything actually finds everything.

Not sure what it uses under the hood, but it manages to find things the win10 start menu can't.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

My favorite is having to hit the windows key 2-4 times before typing will actually begin searching. it owns.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

taqueso posted:

Not sure what it uses under the hood, but it manages to find things the win10 start menu can't.
It uses its own engine. And I've been using Classic Shell on Windows 7 for years mainly for its quality to swiftly return relevant hits with no bullshit, ie. shortcuts in the start menu and control panel applets and basically, should you configure it that way, nothing else. It also uses a very simple "picked most often for this query" logic to determine what is going to be the top result. Which is reasonably predictable compared to whatever special sauce Windows 7's search used, never mind 8 or 10.

It's really reassuring that "cal" gives me the Windows Calculator and "calc" gives me LibreOffice Calc every time since the second or third time that I've opened these programs that way.

It's probably different if you actually want the search there to index file contents, emails and metadata, because Classic Shell's search doesn't do that.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Khablam posted:

Buy an SSD so a 'full reboot' isn't some arduous task that needs other solutions. Rebooting in TYOOL2016 should take 60 seconds or less.
wtf is this

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Unhelpful nonsense that we were all ignoring until you quoted it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"The Year of our Lord"

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Classic Shell

Holy poo poo Microsoft is so stupid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Im_Special posted:

And why is my Firefox icon grey (again, not my picture but exact same thing I'm seeing).

Programs can set their tile colours for the Start Menu and because Firefox and Chrome have a comparably quick turn around they have already implemented that feature.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And they settled on grey?

I know they can't have any old colour in case it clashes with the user's setup, but white is such an obvious choice for Google.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A guess as to why you're avoiding a solution to an intermittent problem that takes about a minute to apply? I don't think anyone has a solid answer to why the start menu randomly breaks but if can reboot to fix it, then do that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there a way to increase the size of the text in the File Explorer toolbar area?

I've already increased the size of text using the Display settings in Control Panel, but it doesn't affect the text above.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We're moving to Windows 10 laptops at work that I'll need to set up, and while I can probably get the start menu amended by our IT department for future OS images, it would be a massive time saver for now if I can manually customise the start menu to a standard template without having to delete or add every individual tile, is that possible? Is there a file or folder that I can just copy over?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes. Your IT dept can look up how to manage the start menu via Powershell, exporting and importing layout as an xml document.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Microsoft released a tool to troubleshoot the Start Menu in Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/21/fix-windows-10-start-menu/

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Khablam posted:

A guess as to why you're avoiding a solution to an intermittent problem that takes about a minute to apply? I don't think anyone has a solid answer to why the start menu randomly breaks but if can reboot to fix it, then do that.

Oh so it was as dumb as it first appeared, thx

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

That's gone in the OP, thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Holy poo poo.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That looks like the exact same troubleshoot that is built into Windows 10. Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advance > Troubleshoot Indexing Options (or something like that).

Anyway it said everything was okay for me but my search is still retarded. Microsoft should just release a text file with that ninite link to that Classic Shell/Everything combo installer, there fixed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yes. Your IT dept can look up how to manage the start menu via Powershell, exporting and importing layout as an xml document.

Start menu done and xml exported, thanks!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do note the bit on Techned about inported FULL menus or imported GROUPS being un-editable. May or may not matter in your use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

This shouldn't need to exist....