Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

Is Jesse Custer seriously still in that loving town 3 episodes in?
How long was The Walking Dead on that farm? In that prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The show runners have said they're basically stretching out the first couple panels and giving us a season of introduction to the characters and concepts which the comic just dives into.

I think it's smart

How is it smart to take a road trip story and make an entire season out of the part before the road trip starts.

Here's our new Spider-man movie, he doesn't get spider-powers until the sequel!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Smallville.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lurdiak posted:

How is it smart to take a road trip story and make an entire season out of the part before the road trip starts.

Remember that Sony considered an Aunt May movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:smithicide:

Dacap posted:

Remember that Sony considered an Aunt May movie

Sony is run by baboons on cocaine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

:smithicide:

Sony is run by baboons on cocaine.

They have the same dealer as Warner Bros. Apparently.

Krypton was greenlit, remember? And Batman V. Superman happened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Let's be real here: altering an Ennis story to be very different is probably not the worst mistake someone can make for TV. Or anything.

That said, I've been enjoying it a lot, and if they can get some of the crappier parts of the series (Quincannon) out of the way early while focusing on developing the characters, I don't really see an issue (haven't watched Ep. 4 yet).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

They will never get Bendis to write a Spiderman movie so nothing to worry about.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Anyone who follows Flash/Arrow on Hulu like me is about to get screwed.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/20/cw-shows-could-leave-hulu-head-to-netflix-sooner/

quote:

According to Variety, the CW will pull out of Hulu in favor of putting up its shows on its ad-supported website. As with the current (and expiring) Hulu deal, only the five most recent episodes of any particular show will be available.

It's generally more work to get a stream from a network's website up as compared to just jumping onto the Hulu app in your set-top box of choice, so it's hard to say how this benefits consumers.
The other side of that is they want to put the shows on Netflix a few weeks after the finale (like Agents of SHIELD) rather than right before the new season starts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The CW website probably has the best streaming capabilities of any network (cable excluded). It's very easy to watch something there. I don't think anyone is getting screwed here. It's not like they require you to sign in with a cable company login like other sites.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

The CW website probably has the best streaming capabilities of any network (cable excluded). It's very easy to watch something there. I don't think anyone is getting screwed here. It's not like they require you to sign in with a cable company login like other sites.

Do they have an app with Chromecast? Or a Roku app?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

They definitely have an android app, but I feel like I remember it kind of sucking when I was trying to help my mom find an episode of some show she missed.

I didn't even realize Hulu had CW shows this whole time. :negative:

Additionally, why not put CW shows on CBS All Access? They own half the network anyway.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

X-O posted:

If you're paying for ad-free Hulu, stream over ps4, chromecast, roku or firetv, you're getting screwed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

I can't answer that because I don't use those. All I've used is their website an iOS app, both of which are incredibly simple and easy to use.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

They definitely have an android app, but I feel like I remember it kind of sucking when I was trying to help my mom find an episode of some show she missed.

I didn't even realize Hulu had CW shows this whole time. :negative:

Additionally, why not put CW shows on CBS All Access? They own half the network anyway.

CBS All Access is garbage, that's why they should not put it on there. The app cuts off episode names so if they put up one with commentary you can accidentally start that and then have to back out and start the other version. Also while there might not be as many ads as broadcast there are still a ton of ads for something you're paying for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

My only quibble is that if I want to check whether I missed an end-of-episode stinger or anything I need to sit through the entire episode's allotted commercials, and they repeat themselves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I can't answer that because I don't use those. All I've used is their website an iOS app, both of which are incredibly simple and easy to use.

I wanna watch a TV show on a tv.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

The answer is that AMC are cheap and don't want to pay for a show that uses many locations

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

The answer is that AMC are cheap and don't want to pay for a show that uses many locations

It would be so easy to fake most of those locations with color temperature, stock footage of traffic, and cheap sets. I mean, the A-Team theoretically took place all across America, you think they ever actually left the city they filmed in?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lurdiak posted:

It would be so easy to fake most of those locations with color temperature, stock footage of traffic, and cheap sets. I mean, the A-Team theoretically took place all across America, you think they ever actually left the city they filmed in?

Hell, Arrow and flash and legends of tommorow is set all of the world and time, and yet it always seems to be in Vancouver

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Really most of Preacher is desert or New York. Replace the New Orleans setting with a different part of Texas and New Mexico covers it. Set up a New York set for a season and that covers some other stories. Not like they're afraid of deviating from the comic.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, Arrow and flash and legends of tommorow is set all of the world and time, and yet it always seems to be in Vancouver

Also Supergirl is moving to Vancouver now that it's a CW show.

Visiting my uncle in Vancouver has forever ruined CW show immersion for me because now I've seen the physical places the shows all film in. While we were visiting my sister literally saw Arrow filming the scene in Felicity's backstory episode where her boyfriend gets arrested in front of the Vancouver Public Library.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Visiting my uncle in Vancouver has forever ruined CW show immersion for me because now I've seen the physical places the shows all film in. While we were visiting my sister literally saw Arrow filming the scene in Felicity's backstory episode where her boyfriend gets arrested in front of the Vancouver Public Library.

Real world immersion ruins everything. We were in Chicago when Transformers 3 was filming and if anything it made the viewing experience worse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

How do you think it feels for us folk who live in Vancouver everytime we see a sports stadium used as some top level science lab.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's also bad the other way around, when a movie or show claims to take place where you are from, and you can clearly tell that it is not actually filmed there. This is especially annoying when you are from NYC since so many shows and movies take place here.

Daredevil is kinda funny because it actually does film here but the geography is all over the place. The original Ghostbusters film is great about this. The film is almost perfectly accurate in its depiction of locations, their relation to each other, etc. Shame to see the new film shot in places other than NYC even though it apparently takes place here.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm from Toronto and it always pulls me out of the movie during that scene in the Incredible Hulk where he fights the Abomination in "Harlem", right in front of the Sam The Record Man sign which was an iconic Toronto building.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just remember watching the first season of The Killing and thinking "you know, occasionally it doesn't rain in Seattle."

Edit: there's been at least three times in iZombie where I actually completely forgot it was supposed to be set in Seattle, and then they make a reference to where it's set and I'm like "Holy poo poo, this that's right, it's set in Seattle"

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

It's also bad the other way around, when a movie or show claims to take place where you are from, and you can clearly tell that it is not actually filmed there. This is especially annoying when you are from NYC since so many shows and movies take place here.

Daredevil is kinda funny because it actually does film here but the geography is all over the place. The original Ghostbusters film is great about this. The film is almost perfectly accurate in its depiction of locations, their relation to each other, etc. Shame to see the new film shot in places other than NYC even though it apparently takes place here.

The worst for me was Fringe when it has scenes that take place in Boston landmarks and they are completely wrong. The worst was South Station.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it was Season 2 of Leverage where they were in Portland but pretending it was still Boston, led to a lot of those for me. Though the most jarring was a S5 episode they filmed on my old college campus. I think I recognized every wall, doorframe and tree of that episode, they didn't do much to disguise it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

CW Seed is on Roku. It also has Pushing Daisies and Hellcats, as I just discovered.

To quote iZombie, Aly Michalka looks like something a bunch of teenage boys made in a lab.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

How do you think it feels for us folk who live in Vancouver everytime we see a sports stadium used as some top level science lab.

I love how even if you've never set foot in Canada you could still easily identify the building they call STAR Labs is a stadium of some sort. I guess the shape is supposed to represent the particle accelerator that's inside the building... that iirc they've explicitly said is underground and so the aboveground part shouldn't look round at all.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was watching Turbo Kid and the "desolate post-apocalypse" landscape was very clearly just northern Quebec vegetation stunted by how cold it is. It was really funny how that flora was so distinct to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo I keep seeing Turbo Kid pop up and wondering why Turbo Teen got a relaunch or whatever but it's completely different???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I love how even if you've never set foot in Canada you could still easily identify the building they call STAR Labs is a stadium of some sort. I guess the shape is supposed to represent the particle accelerator that's inside the building... that iirc they've explicitly said is underground and so the aboveground part shouldn't look round at all.

I think that's actually to justify why the energy surge that cause the metahumans/speedsters didn't blow a massive hole in the building.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CW streaming is ad supported only right? No ad-free option?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yo I keep seeing Turbo Kid pop up and wondering why Turbo Teen got a relaunch or whatever but it's completely different???

Turbo as in Mega, not as in fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Turbo Kid is loving insane and you should go watch it right the hell now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They announced that Madison McLaughlin, who played the fake Black Canary from last season of Arrow, will be back next season as Artemis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

They announced that Madison McLaughlin, who played the fake Black Canary from last season of Arrow, will be back next season as Artemis.

She was awful so this will probably also be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Turbo Kid is loving insane and you should go watch it right the hell now.

The synopsis makes it sound like some Kung Fury monkeycheese trash.