Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I don't think I'll die in Bulgaria (even though I'm going with an international group that I've never met, maybe they'll murder me), Ecuador is possible death (Chimborazo is actually the mountain that is farthest away from the center of the earth), Tenerife is an easy trek, I don't think people actually die there. Except that I'll go up in the middle of August (so heatstroke?), and I'll do the 0-4-0 route (start at the beach, up mountain, down to beach) and I will try and summit after coming from ecuador, staying one day in Lisbon (home) and then leaving for Tenerife.

I'll probably have 3G and Wifi to keep up with steam sales, and mountains do have good coverage usually so I'll post pics just before I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can you wear a yellow north face jacket so that we may honor your memory in Photoshop

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite thing about Everest is that they won't let you die on the mountain on purpose. Like if someone with no experience wanted to go as a suicidal death wish to die none of the expeditions would allow them and the Nepal government would deny the permit. They would say that it would pollute the mountain and create a danger to others. However if the same person turned back around and said "I changed my mind I want to go and summit and live" they would be fine with sending them up the mountain to die.

Like it is legally required that you be cocksure of yourself to be allowed to die on Everest.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 19, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Well they don't want the obvious crazies so those weirdos who think they are married to things like Eiffel towers and mountains don't leave their flash frozen Popsicle asses for generations to come. Like those annoying love locks on bridges except even dumber. Just got to pull a klorfine and spend extra time faffing at the summit

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alan Smithee posted:

why did she choose that as a bg again?

I don't know but it has to be the easiest alpine lake to visit in the world. You can get a shuttle from an international airport 2 hours away.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LastCaress posted:

I don't think I'll die in Bulgaria (even though I'm going with an international group that I've never met, maybe they'll murder me), Ecuador is possible death (Chimborazo is actually the mountain that is farthest away from the center of the earth), Tenerife is an easy trek, I don't think people actually die there. Except that I'll go up in the middle of August (so heatstroke?), and I'll do the 0-4-0 route (start at the beach, up mountain, down to beach) and I will try and summit after coming from ecuador, staying one day in Lisbon (home) and then leaving for Tenerife.

I'll probably have 3G and Wifi to keep up with steam sales, and mountains do have good coverage usually so I'll post pics just before I die.

There are lots more cool mountains not on your list that do not involve rolling the dice on how badly you're hit by hypoxia so why go for Everest rather than those

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't know but it has to be the easiest alpine lake to visit in the world. You can get a shuttle from an international airport 2 hours away.

Tahoe is easier.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 20, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

UberJew posted:

There are lots more cool mountains not on your list that do not involve rolling the dice on how badly you're hit by hypoxia so why go for Everest rather than those

Because no one has ever heard of them, duh.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Look where I was today.

haha, I recognised that straight away. Did you take that pic to line up with the one she photoshopped herself into? I know I have done stuff like that before- it's hard to explain to my partner/whoever I'm with.

"Well you see there was this woman who climbed Everest and she died and we all take the piss out of her - and other people who die up there too- and she photoshopped herself into this scene and now she is a thread legend wait come back"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

At the time I wasn't really thinking about it, I was taking photos that showed what it's 'really like' in addition to the pretty shots.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

UberJew posted:

I still want to do a few ones before thinking of Everest:

-Denali, USA
-Kosciuszko, Australia
-Elbrus, Russia
-Damavand, Iran
-Fuji, Japan
-Fogo, Cape Verde
-Thabana Ntlenyana, Lesotho (don't know how accessible this one is, the others are feasable)

know any more interesting ones?
I already did:

-Serra da Estrela,Portugal
-Pico Almanzor, Spain
-Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
-Ararat, Turkey
-Stok Kangri, India
-Hvannadalshnjúkur, Iceland
-Atlas, Morocco
-Hochobir, Austria

After those I think I'll have a good representation of the mountains of the world, I think I'll be ready to die on Everest :D

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Apparently people climb Mt. Robson in Canada to condition for Everest, so I've heard.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LastCaress posted:

Well in a week a start my 40 day mountain trekking season. 6 peaks : Musala (Bulgaria, 2925m), Vihren (Bulgaria, 2914m), Illiniza Norte (Ecuador, 5126m), Cayambe (Ecuador, 5790m), Chimborazo (Ecuador, 6268m), and El Teide (Tenerife, 3718m).
Maybe Everest next year?

There is literally a cabin lift to the summit of El Teide. Just pick a non-windy day and 10 euro for the lift fee, and everything else you will need is a taxi and a six-pack of beer.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

StoneOfShame posted:

Pfft K2 real heroes climb Fitz Roy or the Shark Fin on Meru.

agrehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMRriMQpNf0ed

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LastCaress posted:

I still want to do a few ones before thinking of Everest:

-Denali, USA
-Kosciuszko, Australia
-Elbrus, Russia
-Damavand, Iran
-Fuji, Japan
-Fogo, Cape Verde
-Thabana Ntlenyana, Lesotho (don't know how accessible this one is, the others are feasable)

know any more interesting ones?
I already did:

-Serra da Estrela,Portugal
-Pico Almanzor, Spain
-Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
-Ararat, Turkey
-Stok Kangri, India
-Hvannadalshnjúkur, Iceland
-Atlas, Morocco
-Hochobir, Austria

After those I think I'll have a good representation of the mountains of the world, I think I'll be ready to die on Everest :D

As a Californian I have to give a shout out for my homedog Mount Whitney. You even get to pick how you'd like to climb it, a crazy strenuous hike up the west or a scramble up the east.

Hell if you wanted a singularly intense experience that you could brag about I'd be more impressed by somebody completing the whole Pacific Crest Trail than climbing Everest, even if it's not as likely to kill you (you can always do the whole great western loop and throw in a couple deserts to make it more lethal if you want)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

UberJew posted:

I'd be more impressed by somebody completing the whole Pacific Crest Trail than climbing Everest

did we really make it all the way to june before someone busted this one out

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'd do the PCT if I had some sherpas.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Think I'd like to try climbing on some of those Sherpas :wiggle:

...then again given the story of that dude who married a Sherpa and assholishly exploited her I'd avoid the inherent power disparity by settling for a Sherpa-of-the-month calendar.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

did we really make it all the way to june before someone busted this one out

it took until june for somebody itt to say they were seriously contemplating everest, so there was no need :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I enjoy hiking the Appalachian Trail, if you know what I mean.

I mean banging my Argentinian mistress.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Mountain of Storms is great and has a kickass soundtrack if I remember correctly, I'm gonna watch this again.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I enjoy hiking the Appalachian Trail, if you know what I mean.

I'll have you know the Appalachians are some of the nicest hills you'll have the pleasure of walking up.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Picnic Princess posted:

Look where I was today.

this is really pretty and i want to go there :kiddo:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

I'll have you know the Appalachians are some of the nicest hills you'll have the pleasure of walking up.

Tell me more about deflated meth tits

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Sounds like you're in the WV to me.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The most annoying loving thing about Lake Louise is the parking during the summer :orks:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

im triggered by the word appalachian. Im afraid im going to be sexually assaulted to the sound of banjos or blown up by moonshine stills

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please do not be racist against the Appalachian Americans.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Please do not be racist against the Appalachian Americans.

appallachia isnt a race

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

we all make fun of them, but without a doubt the west virginians i've met have been the most genuine, friendly, and kind people.

(disclaimer: i am white and not a stuck up city person)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Alan Smithee posted:

im triggered by the word appalachian. Im afraid im going to be sexually assaulted to the sound of banjos or blown up by moonshine stills
deliverance was shot on the chattooga river which has fairly easy whitewater rapids. you can go under the bridge the banjo players were on, see where a man was made to squeal like a piggy, and body surf where they fell into the river.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

deliverance was shot on the chattooga river which has fairly easy whitewater rapids. you can go under the bridge the banjo players were on, see where a man was made to squeal like a piggy, and body surf where they fell into the river.

And that's how they treated white people

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

(disclaimer: i am white and not a stuck up city person)

Are you a local? Traditionally outsiders aren't entirely welcome/trusted.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

nomad2020 posted:

Are you a local? Traditionally outsiders aren't entirely welcome/trusted.

no, i met west virginians who had left. mostly in the army.

i was just always taken aback at how genuinely caring and giving they were, compared to the average person i encounter.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Yea, nice people for sure.

I don't blame them for disliking outsiders, their grandparents were given the poo poo end of the stick and it just keeps getting shittier as time goes on.

On another note way more people get murdered on the Appalachian Trail than I had thought. Still rather walk through WV than walk through Pakistan.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

nomad2020 posted:

Yea, nice people for sure.

I don't blame them for disliking outsiders, their grandparents were given the poo poo end of the stick and it just keeps getting shittier as time goes on.

On another note way more people get murdered on the Appalachian Trail than I had thought. Still rather walk through WV than walk through Pakistan.

If you're white and walking through WV there's a good chance you'll walk out 10lbs heavier and with a free puppy.

There's so much food oh my god

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I honestly only go there for booze, gently caress PA liquor laws.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
As far as I'm aware, Appalachians = Squidbillies.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
As an Appalachian American, and reluctant WV resident; I'd like to state that not all of us are squid billies.

But I do treat a lot of the really old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Anya posted:

As an Appalachian American,

sorry about your speech impediment