Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

nintendo needs to make more games based on the "failure state" zelda timeline-line, they're always the best ones

Still waitin' on my game about the flooding of Hyrule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Dexie posted:

I'm pretty sure someone during the Treehouse streams said you can jump off as soon as you get the paraglider if you want.

Oh yeah, I caught that. I was just thinking about before you get the paraglider.

Related: paraglider is cool.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

quiggy posted:

Still waitin' on my game about the flooding of Hyrule
non-failure timeline, garbage game :colbert:

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Infinitum posted:

My theory is the entire plateau has been sealed off somehow for a century. If you look at videos the fortification extends around the entire outside of it, probably to protect the entire area from outside intervention.

The Temple you see as you leave the cave at the beginning is the Temple of Time. So it's probably awoken Link now that the time is right or the magic has finally weakened.
Def a Hero of Time story, just doing it the long way around this time.

That would be pretty cool actually. It would give more substance to WW's intro where the Hero of Time never showed up so a different hero had to emerge. Now OoT Link is back to kick some rear end and put Ganon in his place.

Although, I always assumed in WW that the Hero of Time never showed up because of timeline fuckery.

Zyste fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I thought the great flood incident occurred as a completely separate Ganon revival from Ocarina

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Raserys posted:

I thought the great flood incident occurred as a completely separate Ganon revival from Ocarina

I always understood it as WW and the great flood occurred from adult OoT Link's timeline. He beat Ganon, then disappeared from the timeline, so the Hero of Time was no longer around to come back and fight Ganon again, hence why Hyrule was flooded when he didn't reappear.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

Kinda looks like the Great Plateau is floating? Also it's Castle Town from OOT?

I got that from HERE in case you're interested.

Cool.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

non-failure timeline, garbage game :colbert:

Oh yeah you're right, I was getting the real timeline confused with an old theorized timeline that put Wind Waker immediately after Majora in a Hero Fails timeline. Regardless, my point stands that I want the flood game.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

ijyt posted:

What does avatar have to do with zelda

It'd be cool if somewhere out in this big open world you could find an ancient monument honoring all of the previous Heroes of Time like the Avatar temple thing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm excited for this game, I can't wait to spend all my time loving around and setting everything on fire. I also hope that the Hero's New Clothes will make a return

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Hedrigall posted:

Someone overlaid the map with the one on the gamepad screen from the first gameplay reveal ages ago.

I can't wait to explore the coast! :swoon: I really hope there's a swimming mechanic even close to the one in Majora's Mask.

Holy poo poo
You're totally gonna get a boat in this game
I can't wait to sail down rivers for hours omg

Also that skull is really intriguing

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HighwireAct posted:

Holy poo poo
You're totally gonna get a boat in this game
I can't wait to sail down rivers for hours omg

Also that skull is really intriguing

There's videos of rafts being used with a Korok leaf to propel it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBgyRC9i6w&t=1281s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zyste posted:

That would be pretty cool actually. It would give more substance to WW's intro where the Hero of Time never showed up so a different hero had to emerge. Now OoT Link is back to kick some rear end and put Ganon in his place.

Although, I always assumed in WW that the Hero of Time never showed up because of timeline fuckery.

He was in Termina at the time :pseudo:.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

that looks absolutely arduous as gently caress.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

that looks absolutely arduous as gently caress.

Didn't help they were stuck on a pier and continually used the wrong action. But yeah, not the best locomotion option.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh yeah, I saw the rafts, but I think there'll probably be more efficient forms of water transportation further in the game

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

HighwireAct posted:

Oh yeah, I saw the rafts, but I think there'll probably be more efficient forms of water transportation further in the game

Sheikah Sea-Doo. :haw:

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sheikah Sea-Doo. :haw:

This, while Link tethers to it via magic and rides his shield across the water

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/vH8LsC0.webm

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So here's something that has me curious that I haven't seen many people speculate about:
In the very first gameplay demo that was shows at this year's E3, right after Link is finished talking to the old man for the first time, whoever is in control starts randomly flailing their weapon about, hitting the old man and causing him to jump back, change idle animations into a kind of fight-or-flight stance, and remark "easy there" or something like that.

Now, given the whole theme of "you can go anywhere and do anything right from the start," I took this to mean that maybe murdering some NPCs might be a mechanic, or at least murdering the old man for his sweet sweet sailcloth. It would be a HUGE and very unlikely departure from Zelda conventions, and even if its just regulated to randos in the wilderness and outside of towns it would probably require the game have a minimum of a T rating, but I can sort of see how it could be a possibility. Perhaps if you tried to attack NPCs in major towns and such, you would automatically be approached by a guard and thrown out of town/in jail as you would if you were caught sneaking about in other Zelda titles.

Am I crazy, or did anyone else get that from attacking the old man?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
This is going to be a very pretty game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/GufbWOB.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jellymouth posted:

So here's something that has me curious that I haven't seen many people speculate about :
In the very first gameplay demo that was shows at this year's E3, right after Link is finished talking to the old man for the first time, whoever is in control starts randomly flailing their weapon about, hitting the old man and causing him to jump back, change idle animations into a kind of fight-or-flight stance, and remark "easy there" or something like that.

Now, given the whole theme of "you can go anywhere and do anything right from the start," I took this to mean that maybe murdering some NPCs might be a mechanic, or at least murdering the old man for his sweet sweet sailcloth. It would be a HUGE and very unlikely departure from Zelda conventions, and even if its just regulated to randos in the wilderness and outside of towns it would probably require the game have a minimum of a T rating, but I can sort of see how it could be a possibility. Perhaps if you tried to attack NPCs in major towns and such, you would automatically be approached by a guard and thrown out of town/in jail as you would if you were caught sneaking about in other Zelda titles.

There is no way Nintendo is going to let Link murder an old man for his loot.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the fact that the old man didn't take damage or aggro Link makes it pretty clear that you can't kill him.

Haven't there been NPCs in past Zelda games that would react if you got in their face in certain ways?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jellymouth posted:

So here's something that has me curious that I haven't seen many people speculate about :

This would be so against the spirit of Zelda I can't see it being possible. The best you could hope for is a way (possibly including hitting him) that you can annoy the old man into not wanting to talk to you anymore, so he gives you the item just so you go away.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Old Man is actually Old Link.

The new Link clone has awoken and it is his turn to attempt to save Hyrule. Old Link will impart what little he can to ensure the New Link is more prepared than he was last time he was cloned

It's basically Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow but with clones!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What is this?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'd be okay with pissed-off NPCs flashing red and bonking against you until you ran away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ImpAtom posted:

There is no way Nintendo is going to let Link murder an old man for his loot.

I don't think they'll allow killing but I predict dickishness like stealing and breaking down old men's doors being expanded.

I think the old man in the demo even scolds Link for taking his baked apple without speaking to him first.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't think they'll allow killing but I predict dickishness like stealing and breaking down old men's doors being expanded.

I think the old man in the demo even scolds Link for taking his baked apple without speaking to him first.

I can't wait to spend the rest of the game named THIEF.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What is this?

Nobody knows. It appeared as part of a giant 30 minute long backdrop on the Japanese website for the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nobody knows. It appeared as part of a giant 30 minute long backdrop on the Japanese website for the game.

Fascinating. Until proven wrong, I'm going to assume it is a baby Goron that got launched far from Death Mountain. You have to find it and raise it until you can return it to the Goron People.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Fascinating. Until proven wrong, I'm going to assume it is a baby Goron that got launched far from Death Mountain. You have to find it and raise it until you can return it to the Goron People.

It'll probably be lonely, might have to play the goron lullaby.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jellymouth posted:

Maybe it's only him that will have such reactions to being attacked until you finally get him to aggro and he pretty much one-shots you, however if you bullshit your way to victory then you beat the game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Supercar Gautier posted:

Haven't there been NPCs in past Zelda games that would react if you got in their face in certain ways?
Do you count chickens and pigs.

More seriously, there was Orca in WW, the guy who teaches you sword stuff. You can hit him outside of his minigames/exercises, and he blocks with his spear. If you hit him enough he gets really mad and yells at you.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Nahxela posted:

More seriously, there was Orca in WW, the guy who teaches you sword stuff. You can hit him outside of his minigames/exercises, and he blocks with his spear. If you hit him enough he gets really mad and yells at you.

Oh? I cannot find any recording of him getting pissed off. I'm curious now

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Drakenel posted:

Oh? I cannot find any recording of him getting pissed off. I'm curious now
Can't find a recording, either, too many videos of hitting in the minigame
This wiki has a quick blurb in the Trivia section :shrug:
http://zeldawiki.org/Orca

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord