Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Optimus Subprime posted:

LeBron James is real good at basketball and probably at all sports.

Presumably he was better at football, which I have no trouble believing. That body on a wide receiver would break the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you took Lebron's current build and assumed he would have the acceleration, route running ability, cutting ability and hands of an NFL wide receiver then sure

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IMO he could have been a pretty good 3B with that reach and athleticism. Dude is just made to be an athlete.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

If you took Lebron's current build and assumed he would have the acceleration, route running ability, cutting ability and hands of an NFL wide receiver then sure

I mean it's a huge extrapolation, since he stopped playing after high school and who knows what coaching would have done for him. But with that speed and size...

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Intruder posted:

Basketball requires all of those except route running. He'd be a star athlete in pretty much any sport if he devoted any time to it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the cross-sport athlete thing will forever be in the collective consciousness because of Bo and Deion and MJ I guess, but they really are just the stupidest hypotheticals. The prodigal son of Akron returned with a championship after making the greatest play in NBA history and that's something that is much cooler than imagining LeBron as a loving third baseman...just imo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bo is the only one who was successful at it anyway. Deion and MJ were both garbage at baseball

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
the frog is sipping the tea

Only registered members can see post attachments!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the frog sipping tea hat is just insanely good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lebron is so cool

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mdemone posted:

Presumably he was better at football, which I have no trouble believing. That body on a wide receiver would break the NFL.
I have lots of trouble believing he was better at football.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keep in mind that was high school football, and in Ohio it's pretty much an afterthought compared to other states.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If you don't think noted GOAT athlete LeBron James could extend his mighty hand and conquer any sport he chooses, you're an idiot. Only mercy keeps him from ruling all sports like he does basketball.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DJExile posted:

Keep in mind that was high school football, and in Ohio it's pretty much an afterthought compared to other states.

Yeah, imagine highschoolers trying to cover him on a high fade to the corner.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
we're quickly approaching the point of "what if our best athletes played soccer?!?" posts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

the frog sipping tea hat is just insanely good

Agreedo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

surrender posted:

we're quickly approaching the point of "what if our best athletes played soccer?!?" posts

Anderson Varejao could really expand his repertoire.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

surrender posted:

LOL why would our best athletes debase themselves to play a girl's sport?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This will never get old.

And this was loving awesome.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

DJExile posted:

This guy doesn't know about the Massillon Washington-Canton McKinley Rivalry. Or the infamous lovely rapists of the Stuebenville Big Reds??

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I have lots of trouble believing he was better at football.

I knew one guy who played against him and said he totally dominated but would always head for the sidelines instead of taking a hit. Smart.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brolander posted:

This guy doesn't know about the Massillon Washington-Canton McKinley Rivalry. Or the infamous lovely rapists of the Stuebenville Big Reds??

Oh well aware, I'm just saying this isn't exactly Texas, Oklahoma, or Florida high school ball

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I agree that he's the best of all time. Michael Jordan is marketing hype, steroids, and a weak league

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

I'd make him a QB

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

is delonte west still doin lebrons mom?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DJExile posted:

is delonte west still doin lebrons mom?

Lebron had Delonte West involuntarily committed to a mental asylum, "Michael Clayton" style, after he hosed his mom. It's either happening in a covert and extremely horny way or not happening at all

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

thoughts

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/6/20/the-block-that-saved-basketball

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

DJExile posted:

Oh well aware, I'm just saying this isn't exactly Texas, Oklahoma, or Florida high school ball

I mean you're not wrong. Our marching bands, though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Do we want whoever makes and takes the most three-pointers to determine the game of basketball, or at the very least be the pervading logic by which we perceive the game? For fans of being a fan, a cabal in which I include myself, this series, and the Warriors series with Oklahoma City, was a battle for the spirit of the game.

I agree with this sentiment. We've just watched playoffs full of net 3pts battles, and they were dull games. Move the line back, way back , or make regular shots worth 3, and threes worth 4

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

That was a good read.

I think there's a certain amount of dissonance in there though. I believe you're casting The Block (this needs to catch on) as a metaphorical rejection of mathematical nerd basketball based around three point shooting, but in fact the block came, like most blocks, on a layup attempt. After all, Moreyball is about eliminating the midrange and not necessarily about increasing your average shot distance, although that seems to be a byproduct of putting it into practice. Maybe I'm simplifying the point you're making too much though.

Blocks on threes are rare, and they don't really register much because you have no idea if the shot was even close to going in. It's too bad there's no way to pin a weak three point shot at an invisible backboard in the sky.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

That was a good read.

I think there's a certain amount of dissonance in there though. I believe you're casting The Block (this needs to catch on) as a metaphorical rejection of mathematical nerd basketball based around three point shooting, but in fact the block came, like most blocks, on a layup attempt. After all, Moreyball is about eliminating the midrange and not necessarily about increasing your average shot distance, although that seems to be a byproduct of putting it into practice. Maybe I'm simplifying the point you're making too much though.

Blocks on threes are rare, and they don't really register much because you have no idea if the shot was even close to going in. It's too bad there's no way to pin a weak three point shot at an invisible backboard in the sky.
Unless you're Dwyane Wade :)

Yeah no I totally agree. I may have done a poor job of separating the idea of threes from the idea of "best practices", which is obviously about much more than just three point shooting. My argument is essentially that the destructive force of LeBron exceeded the limitations of science. It's basically a basketball romantic vs. enlightenment conflict.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Yeah no I totally agree. I may have done a poor job of separating the idea of threes from the idea of "best practices", which is obviously about much more than just three point shooting. My argument is essentially that the destructive force of LeBron exceeded the limitations of science. It's basically a basketball romantic vs. enlightenment conflict.

Holy poo poo, basketball romanticism....Lebron binds his feet like a Chinese wife......club feet........Lebron is the second coming of George Gordon, Lord Byron

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

do you mind if I use this photo for an article I'm working on?

Go for it!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

It makes sense, shooters are short dudes, and blockers are tall dudes.

Short little dudes with un god like bodies had to practice shooting, which no one wants to pay to watch.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I very much enjoyed this read

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Iggy is my favorite Warrior, but this is the best block I've ever seen. I definitely screamed like a lunatic when that happened live.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That guy who just delivered a cursed city it's first title in 52 years, led both teams in every individual categories and just beat a team people were deeming "THE BEST EVER"?

Meh.

He's okay I guess.

;).

sim
Sep 24, 2003

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

...I believe you're casting The Block (this needs to catch on)...

LeBlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

MullardEL34 posted:

I watched the game on a TV that was probably used to watch the last Cleveland championship win.

It was totally worth it.
Plus I got to sit on my porch, drink bourbon, and smoke cigars.

When I talked to my dad on the phone yesterday he pointed out to me that when the Browns won, the game was blacked out locally. So he heard the championship on the radio.

Which makes this the first Cleveland championship that my 64-year old father has ever seen

• Locked thread