Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Accordion Man posted:

Yes totally, you need to play the first two games first. You should play them anyway because TLJ is one of the best games of all time and Dreamfall, while weaker, is still really drat good.

Hmm.. Well maybe I'll just buy Dreamfall from gog then and go back to trying to remember the controls for Elite: Dangerous, since people seem to hate X-Rebirth. I apparently own TLJ on steam already thanks to some bundle, does that version work OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Substandard posted:

Hmm.. Well maybe I'll just buy Dreamfall from gog then and go back to trying to remember the controls for Elite: Dangerous, since people seem to hate X-Rebirth. I apparently own TLJ on steam already thanks to some bundle, does that version work OK?
It should.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

You could try running in Offline Mode; it seems like that would solve all of your problems, and if your internet is lovely and limited then you're probably not playing multiplayer anyway. If you are doing multiplayer then right before you play you can go Online, prioritize patching whatever game you're about to play, and then play it; Steam won't download anything while you're in a game, so once you quit you can just go Offline again.
I was sure I tried this and the minute I went online then any game I had that needed updates wouldn't be available until they went through, even offline. It's possible I hosed that up, so I might try it again to make sure. Thanks.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TLJ chat:

I'm replaying it on win10 and while it's not crashing after videos like I thought it would, it's uhhh, not the most stable game. It seems to love crashing when saving (hard lock, oof.).

This is the GoG ver, is the Steam version any better?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Snuffman posted:

TLJ chat:

I'm replaying it on win10 and while it's not crashing after videos like I thought it would, it's uhhh, not the most stable game. It seems to love crashing when saving (hard lock, oof.).

Steam version worked fine for me, though after a session it would mess with the computers text warranting a restart if you want the same smooth text as before.

That is more the fault of the resolution the game is played in than anything else.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Why is it necessary to play other TLJ games before Dreamfall? That just seems like a poor design decision if true

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ninkobei posted:

Why is it necessary to play other TLJ games before Dreamfall? That just seems like a poor design decision if true
Because the series has always been really story-driven.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 20, 2016

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Because the series has always been really story-driven.

but can you pick up enough of the story in Dreamfall to have some semblance of an idea what's going on?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Could just look up summaries. I'll probably just gonna go with the flow, but I don't know if the Humble version will be updated. Still says it's a March file.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ninkobei posted:

but can you pick up enough of the story in Dreamfall to have some semblance of an idea what's going on?
You could, but you lose a lot of emotional impact.

Both TLJ and Dreamfall are on sale on GOG right now and will most likely be on sale on Steam this week, so I don't know why'd anyone be so adverse to buy them.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 20, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ninkobei posted:

TLJ: magic good, industry bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

Accordion Man posted:

You could, but you lose a lot of emotional impact.

You'd also lose out on playing the better game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's okay guys, it's the tasteful kind of lizard nudity.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lizard titty for the sake of lizard art

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I wonder if we find out what happened to Daud in the Dishonored 2. I have all the DLC, just haven't gotten around to playing them.

Also for feeding the Dishonored hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHLo_kQqf7U

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I've been replaying Dishonored and hope that D2 uses the Daud Blink. It's one of those upgrades where it's hard to go back to how Corvo's works.

Dishonored's dlc is like one of four or five dlc's ever that is actually really good.

I'm excited to pre-order a 60 dollar AAA game months in advance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Waffle! posted:

I wonder if we find out what happened to Daud in the Dishonored 2. I have all the DLC, just haven't gotten around to playing them.

Also for feeding the Dishonored hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHLo_kQqf7U

It's really cool that until you play the game, you don't realize how easy some of this stuff is to do

Dishonored presents a few simple systems, builds on it with powers and weaponry, then lets you be God and do whatever you want. THIS VIDEO COULD BE YOU

it's so good

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgnXjXk2N0

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has anybody here played Crashlands?

It looks like it could be a fun ARPG, and it seems to have good reviews, but the trailers for it were kinda uhhhhhhh obnoxious, and as far as I can tell it's a mobile game so idk how well it'd work on steam. If anybody who has played it could chime in and tell me if it is any good or not, I'd appreciate it! :)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Steam Thread: Every day we drift farther from God's featureless crotch

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FirstAidKite posted:

It looks like it could be a fun ARPG, and it seems to have good reviews, but the trailers for it were kinda uhhhhhhh obnoxious, and as far as I can tell it's a mobile game so idk how well it'd work on steam. If anybody who has played it could chime in and tell me if it is any good or not, I'd appreciate it! :)

http://toucharcade.com/2016/01/20/crashlands-review/
An extensive review from a mobile gaming site. People here in the iOS gaming thread also loved it. I think both mobile and PC versions were released at the same time, so I doubt it's a shoddy conversion.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

quote:

Screeps is a MMO RTS sandbox game for programmers, wherein the core mechanic is programming your units AI. You control your colony by writing JavaScript which operate 24/7 in the single persistent world filled by other players on par with you.

quote:

Raise your CPU limit in the online mode to the point depending on your game level

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The one thing I'm sad no Dishonored tips and tricks videos show off is blocking pistol shots with decapitated heads. The coolest little thing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You know, I loved Omega

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(video_game)

Wonder if this would end up anywhere near as interesting

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Rookersh posted:

GoG did a marketing push a year? or so ago when they changed their name from Good Old Games to Good Original Games ( which ironically doesn't seem to play on Google. Nobody gives a poo poo they tried to change their name it seems. ), and announced they'd stop offering full support on older titles/would stop spending so much time fixing up older titles.

I don't really understand what they were thinking here - the model of retooling older games to be functional on new systems has a pretty strong competitive advantage. But what's the advantage in their current model? Being DRM free? Is that it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Now you too can own your own 6" figure of Geralt

https://www.jinx.com/p/witcher_3_geralt_of_rivia_vinyl_figure.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snuffman posted:

TLJ chat:

Right-click on the exe file and try setting compatibility to Windows 7 or XP. The Longest Journey is a fantastic game, and the puzzles are generally logical, but grab a guide for how to the get the key off the subway tracks. It's the only moon-logic puzzle in the game.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Right-click on the exe file and try setting compatibility to Windows 7 or XP. The Longest Journey is a fantastic game, and the puzzles are generally logical, but grab a guide for how to the get the key off the subway tracks. It's the only moon-logic puzzle in the game.

gently caress that stupid inflatable duck

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Substandard posted:

Hmm.. Well maybe I'll just buy Dreamfall from gog then and go back to trying to remember the controls for Elite: Dangerous, since people seem to hate X-Rebirth.

Oh, just go for it. I was merely posting a reaction to its original release without having even played it myself, and it's entirely possible that the game has improved more than my pessimistic expectations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was expecting like, a gijoe style or revoltech figure of him but nope, instead it's...whatever that is

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Captain Invictus posted:

I was expecting like, a gijoe style or revoltech figure of him but nope, instead it's...whatever that is

i think i would actually prefer an atrocious looking funko pop of geralt over that crap

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I have. It's a pretty slick survivaly/arpg hybrid with a lot of QOL improvements to the survival game elements, no inventory limits, auto sorting, tracking etc. There's a lot of content and 3 zones and a fuckton of gear to manufacture from the mangled corpses of the planet's inhabitants. I got through 2.4 zones and got a little burned out but it's still a whole ton of gameplay in there.

The only downside is that combat is pretty samey which is sneak up on stuff, hit it, run away while your pet massacres your target.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I have. It's a pretty slick survivaly/arpg hybrid with a lot of QOL improvements to the survival game elements, no inventory limits, auto sorting, tracking etc. There's a lot of content and 3 zones and a fuckton of gear to manufacture from the mangled corpses of the planet's inhabitants. I got through 2.4 zones and got a little burned out but it's still a whole ton of gameplay in there.

The only downside is that combat is pretty samey which is sneak up on stuff, hit it, run away while your pet massacres your target.

Ah. Well, it looks like it'll be fun enough if it ever gets super cheap, so thanks! I'll give it a look somewhere down the line :)

In other news, some visual novel got released on steam, whatevs, looks like every other VN released on steam, nothing about it makes it stand out EXCEPT

Wtf is with these names

Casserole?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Wtf is with these names

Casserole?

Sounds like the dumb names they come up with for all the characters in the Sakura games.

Also, dont get Sakura Dungeon. It is a bad game.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Furnaceface posted:

Sounds like the dumb names they come up with for all the characters in the Sakura games.

Also, dont get Sakura Dungeon. It is a bad game.

please elaborate

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

EightDeer posted:

That's a strange way to write "HoMM IV was the best game in the entire series".

Crap gameplay, pretty overworld graphics, great stories (Fuckin' Gauldoth, holy poo poo!). System crashes were annoying as hell, though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oh, are we talking about bad games today? Perfect.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD

20. Cities in Motion 2

What in the world happened here? The original Cities in Motion was a chill little sim that let you fill city streets with buses and trams with just a few clicks. CiM 2 certainly looked like that on the surface, but after just two hours with it I can hardly believe it's from the same developers. I really can't imagine a game that missed the point of its predecessor worse than this one.

Cities in Motion 2 places you in charge of a transit company, challenging you to provide public transportation to a bustling city. Starting from scratch, you place stops for buses and trolleys, lay rails for trams and metros, map out routes for your vehicles, and even select the models of vehicle to use. These basic elements allow you to provide service to the many different people of the city, just as the first game did. CiM 2 goes a bit further, though, giving you control of timetables, charging you with building depots for your fleets, and even granting you the power to lay new roads within the growing city.

Now, when I say "growing" city, that isn't just flowery language. One of the much-touted improvements of this title over the previous is that the cities grow with you. Supposedly your services can influence the growth of the city, and laying your own roads can change the flow of traffic. It's an element of SimCity that feels oddly out of place here, especially after learning to cope with the set traffic patterns of the first game. Similarly the growth mechanic sounds good on paper but has very little obvious effect even after several hours of play.

This leads to the core problem with CiM 2, in fact, because it turns out that none of the new additions to the gameplay are actual improvements. The new control options over your company like timetables and service zones make the game more complex without providing any real benefit. It's just another lever you have to get in the right position, and it's not at all obvious how to best set it. Placing depots is another unnecessary distraction, forcing you to put detours in your lines and cram large buildings into the landscape for no actual benefit. And building your own roads can lead to endless frustration because of how touchy the building tool is.

I need to spend some extra time on the interface now that I've mentioned it because it is a dumpster fire of issues, especially compared to the clean and simple UI of the first game. Building ANYTHING in this new 3D engine is guaranteed to drive you up the wall as it snaps to the wrong spots or jumps over where you want it or simply fails to connect. For one example, trolley and tram lines can be laid in any lane of any road, and also in medians if available. They have to follow the direction of traffic and must be laid by individual road section, so you have to zoom all the way in and make sure your lines are following the right lanes every step of the way. And if you misclick and need to delete a section of track, half the time you'll misclick again and delete the entire road.

Metro tracks became the bane of my existence because of how impossible they are to use. They can't be placed on roads or near buildings, and you have to manually raise and lower them to get them underground or over rivers. Curves that are too tight will break the rails, and rail sections that don't line up perfectly won't connect. The main problem is that the game will happily let you build track that's too steep or too curved for your purposes and then not fully explain why it won't work. Just getting a depot connected to a metro line requires you to manually lay out an entire train yard, usually in far too limited a space.

I could go on, so I will. The menus and windows are cramped and difficult to parse. Your charts provide less useful information than the excellent data views of the previous game. Advertising options have been removed for some inexplicable reason. Missions don't properly explain your goals, and this is a big one because the first scenario of the game challenges you to provide 15% coverage of the city, but no matter how much I built and how many people I moved, my progress never rose above 0%. And somehow on top of all this, the game is just harder. After two hours with the very first scenario I couldn't make a single dollar of profit. None of the dozen lines I built, of all shapes and sizes and makeups, would carry more than single-digits of passengers.

Everything I loved about Cities in Motion is absent from its sequel. The charm, the accessibility, the convenience, the polish... none of that is to be found here. Somehow it's been replaced with tiresome micro-management, an impossibly bad building interface, vague or non-existent feedback, and the worst part of any sim, trying to cram things into places they won't fit. I seriously can't think of anything positive to say about this one, so I suppose I'll just let my overwhelming disappointment speak for itself.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah. Well, it looks like it'll be fun enough if it ever gets super cheap, so thanks! I'll give it a look somewhere down the line :)

In other news, some visual novel got released on steam, whatevs, looks like every other VN released on steam, nothing about it makes it stand out EXCEPT

Wtf is with these names

Casserole?

Is this a game about loving kitchen tools? Is there one named Skillet?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:eyepop:

A ringing antidorsement of Cities in Motion 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/24781/oculus-rift-release-date-price-and-system-requirements-researchers-discover

$599?!! more like "oculus grift" am i right

• Locked thread