Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HenryEx posted:

Translating programs can be pretty difficult past just the "translating text" stage (not that most of the problems in the video apply to a fixed script)

Yet somehow Ghostlight still managed to gently caress the EU release of the first Devil Survivor:Overclocked with game-breaking bugs the other versions didn't suffer from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

If Sony and MS can segregate the online stores by region so can Nintendo. In theory.

They can but they don't want to because they don't want the consumer to be in a position where they can't easily use the service. One account per system and everything is confined to that region. These kind of restrictions are common in all kinds of media businesses in Japan. A lot of things that suck for the consumer are done because minimizing risk is imperative to traditional Japanese companies.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Also because companies are used to bilking Japanese customers and are scared of people in Japan importing from the West.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

If Sony and MS can segregate the online stores by region so can Nintendo. In theory.

In theory.

In practice, it's going to take them another decade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hadji murad posted:

They can but they don't want to because they don't want the consumer to be in a position where they can't easily use the service. One account per system and everything is confined to that region. These kind of restrictions are common in all kinds of media businesses in Japan. A lot of things that suck for the consumer are done because minimizing risk is imperative to traditional Japanese companies.

Native Japanese companies like Sony who have segregated online stores but region free games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

In theory.

In practice, it's going to take them another decade.

Nintendo already do it though the dumb argument is that everything is region locked because of the online store, which is rubbish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo already do it though the dumb argument is that everything is region locked because of the online store, which is rubbish.

Its more that the Nintendo branches are largely independent companies. Importing is actually stealing a sale from your local Nintendo division, as dumb as that sounds. The handhelds were ptobably region-free until the DSi just because they were too dumb to know where they were.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Y'all bending over backwards to make sense of Nintendo's retarded business decisions

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Games are only the latest victim of region locking.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

Y'all bending over backwards to make sense of Nintendo's retarded business decisions

Are slurs really necessary?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Did you know, it can both make sense and also be bad simultaneously? Making sense != making excuses.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

jivjov posted:

But they are retarded in a very physical sense, like bombs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

They act to impede their own profits with their business actions, so yes it is :eng101:.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Native Japanese companies like Sony who have segregated online stores but region free games.

Nintendo has never had a foreign chairman unlike Sony. The companies have very different outlooks and Nintendo is a more traditional and conservative company.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 23):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - €59.99 / £49.99
    Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games - €49.99 / £39.99
    Mighty No.9 - €19.99/ £17.99
    Devil's Third - €29.99/ £24.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Dual Core - €9.99 / £8.99
    Rubik's Cube - €4.99 / £4.49
    Steel Lords - €14.99 / £10.49
    Splashy Duck - €1.49 / £1.39
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Mighty No.9: Ray Expansion - €4.99 / £3.99
    Minecraft Battle Map Season Pass - €9.99 / £7.99
  • Battle Map 1[/u] - €2.99 / £2.39
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Tokyo Millennium Collectiont - €1.99 / £1.79
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Atlus Collaboration Costume Set - €1.99 / £1.79
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: 3-Support Set - €4.99 / £4.49
  • Mirage Hunter (EXP) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Mirage Hunter (Mastery) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Mirage Hunter (Savage Festival) - €1.99 / £1.79
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) - €9.99 / £8.99
    Nintendo presents Style Boutique (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) - €38.99 / £32.49 until June 21
    Art Academy Sketchpad (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until June 23
    NES Remix (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    NES Remix 2 (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii DL) - €9.99 / £8.99 until June 23
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii DL) - €9.99 / £8.99 until June 23
    Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Earthbound (Wii U VC) - €4.99 / £3.49 until June 23
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC) - €3.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.69 until June 23
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.69 until June 23
    Super Mario World (Wii U VC) - €3.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Super Mario 64 (Wii U VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Super Metroid (Wii U VC) - €3.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Zelda: Link to the Past (Wii U VC) - €3.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Wii U VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Zelda: Minish Cap (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £3.09 until June 23
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £5.99 until June 23
    Cube Life: Survival Island (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £5.59 until June 23
    Fast Racing Neo (Wii U eShop) - €11.20 / £8.20 until June 23
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until June 23
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until June 23
    Trine 2 (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until June 23
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - €6.70 / £5.36 until June 23
    FreezeME (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until June 23
    Trine Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.49 until June 23
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €12.49 / £9.99 until June 23
    Legend of Kay Anniversary (Wii U) - €7.49 / £4.99 until June 23
    Citizens of Earth (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.00 until June 23

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - €19.99 / £15.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Nintendo presents New Style Boutique - €19.99 / £15.99 (permanent price reduction)
    LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins - €19.99 / £15.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. - €19.99 / £15.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star - €19.99 / £15.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Olympic Games (demo)
    Teddy Together (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Rubik's Cube - €4.99 / £4.49
    Conveni Dream - €5.00 / £4.50
    Unholy Heights - €5.99 / £5.39
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Fates Map Pack 1 - (11 maps, released weekly) - €17.99 / £16.19
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Vanguard Dawn (Vanguard Brand (every time), difficulty **) - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS MENU THEMES (June 10)
    BOXBOY! - Qbby & Friends by Starlight - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS) - €26.31 / £25.99 until June 21
    BOXBOY! (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.24 until June 23
    3D Classics Kirby's Adventure (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Dillon's Rolling Western (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 23
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.69 until June 23
    Pokemon Link Battle (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until June 23
    Pullblox (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Pokemon Trading Card Game (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £2.19 until June 23
    Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £2.19 until June 23
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £2.19 until June 23
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £2.19 until June 23
    Super Mario Land (3DS VC) - €1.99 / £1.79 until June 23
    Super Mario Land 2.: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC) - €1.99 / £1.79 until June 23
    The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £2.19 until June 23
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (3DS VC) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Colors! 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until June 23
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £1.85 until June 23
    Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.99 until June 23
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until June 23
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.49 until June 23
    Zen Pinball 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until June 23
    Kirby's Dream Land (3DS VC) - €1.99 / £1.79 until June 23
    The Delusions of Von Sottendorff and his Square Mind (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until June 23
    Retro City Rampage DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £3.99 until June 23
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £3.99 until June 23
    The Legend of Dark Witch (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until June 30
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until June 30
    Farming Simulator 14 (3DS) - €7.49 / £5.00 until June 30
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 30
    Jett Rockett 2; The Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 until July 7
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until July 7

You now have no excuse to not own a second copy of Devil's Third.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there any reason to play devils third? is it fun in an over-the-top crazy kind of way and if so what would be an acceptable price for it?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mighty no 9 is going to bomb so hard and people will still not stop kickstarting video games

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

alf_pogs posted:

is there any reason to play devils third? is it fun in an over-the-top crazy kind of way and if so what would be an acceptable price for it?

No, but--get this--it's a meme.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Katana Gomai posted:

Mighty no 9 is going to bomb so hard and people will still not stop kickstarting video games

Well, I mean, even just in the "Megaman but newer" category, we got Shovel Knight out of kickstarter too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We got a lot of good games out of Kickstarter. The only thing people learned is not to give money to Inafune and that was worth the lesson.

Edit: and the reviews are just destroying the game, it is hilarious

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 20, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

alf_pogs posted:

As a shooter, it's pretty mediocre with average to poor level design that is downright spiteful at times (chapter 7 :argh:) and has bosses with instant kill attacks starting from chapter 3. The actual plot is dumb in a good way and features stuff like a boss hulking out via T-Virus and the main character is the edgiest man ever devised who is powered by breakfast, so you may want to check out an LP or something to see if you're willing to actually pay for it.

The multiplayer is supposed to be fantastic though, so there's that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Saoshyant posted:

We got a lot of good games out of Kickstarter. The only thing people learned is not to give money to Inafune and that was worth the lesson.

Capcom (or whoever) picked a hilarious time to put Mega Man Legacy Collection on sale across multiple platforms; if I hadn't spent the past few weeks completely burning myself out on Mega Man, I may have actually bought this.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
The only silver lining to Mighty No. 9 is that it taught me about Kickstarter what it took Master of Orion 3 to teach me about pre-ordering.

Even Starbound wound up being kinda worth it in the end, although it's way worse than it was in early beta.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
NoA announcing its VC titles way early this week.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (GBA)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (DS)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (DS)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Isn't Inafune that guy who was just standing there on a rooftop not showing any gameplay in his pitch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spellman posted:

Isn't Inafune that guy who was just standing there on a rooftop not showing any gameplay in his pitch

Hm sounds cagey lol.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm watching someone play mighty no. 9 and it doesn't even look that bad. The explosion effects are bad but that's about the only offensive thing I've seen so far. Looks more like it should be a $10-15 game tbh

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Saoshyant posted:

quote:

The Jimquisistion - 4/10
Mighty No. 9? More like Shitey No. 9!
How is this person a major gaming personality.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

personally I would've rather mighty no 9 had turned out good but I'm glad you all are getting so much out of it's failure

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Pretty much everyone predicted it'd be an ok game that would disappoint because of its ridiculous hype, delays and premature plans for a cartoon and branding in general. Had the exact same game been quietly developed by an indie team it'd have gotten way better reviews for sure.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zas posted:

personally I would've rather mighty no 9 had turned out good but I'm glad you all are getting so much out of it's failure

I don't see very many people gloating about it; I mostly just see people who are completely unsurprised.

I mean I mostly lost interest in it when it became some score attack/rack up combos in long hallways rubbish instead of a proper Mega Man-like game. Also the plans to turn it into a huge multimedia franchise before the game was even out, and also running a new kickstarter for a new tangentally-related game/huge multimedia franchise didn't give me much confidence that a lot of care was being put into it. And that's all before the several long delays.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Katana Gomai posted:

Good because that'd be hilariously dumb logic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

From what I've seen the level design is loving dogshit in MN9 so no I dont think it would review better if it was an "indie" game whatever that means (apparently a kickstarted game isn't indie??)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii U version of this game is apparently busted as poo poo so even if you are still interested, maybe hold off for a little while and see if they ever fix it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

so no I dont think it would review better if it was an "indie" game whatever that means (apparently a kickstarted game isn't indie??)

He doesn't mean indie as in "independent game" he means indie as in "this is a small studio that made a game and put it out there without much in the way of an advertising campaign or anything else"

Basically he's saying "if this same product had been made by a smaller group with less hype, it would probably be reviewed a little bit better"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we've already seen a smaller group with less hype make a lovely 2.5D megaman knockoff, it's called ARES Extinction Agenda and no one cares about it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
But have you seen Legend of the Dark Witch?

It's real neat, pretty fun. Not perfect, but neat. Small group made it. Kinda short. Really good megaman-like tho.

Would it be anywhere near as impressive if it was the same exact game but with 2 kickstarters behind it, an attempt at creating a multimedia franchise, and developed by inafune?

Probably not. But I don't know because that's all just hypothetical. That's all they're saying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's a game called Rex Rocket on steam which is actually a pretty decent megaman/metroid mashup but nobody bought it except me. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

there's a game called Rex Rocket on steam which is actually a pretty decent megaman/metroid mashup but nobody bought it except me. :(

I will get it one day when it is cheap. Until then tho, check out the legend of the dark witch demo on the 3ds eshop (idk if the steam release has a demo or not). It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Legend of Dark Witch has nice character sprites, music and bosses but the level design mostly sucks and is mostly really ugly, like "temp level they never got around to tiling" ugly.

Gunman Clive is another no-frills MM ripoff series that's available on both eShops that people seem to dig.