Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Che Delilas posted:

I really feel like you're over thinking this, contract vs. perm is really just a matter of personal preference and opportunity.

Yeah. I'm getting interviews very quickly.

Sigh. I just thought I was in the place I'd be for several years already and now I'm looking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Space Whale posted:

What happened was "$priorJob signed a huge contract with NDA so a lot of people ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, CTO dancing around humming zipadeedoodah, I just did what was told instead of CYA-ing, and communication/management breakdown bit me in the rear end. I think. Nobody actually told me poo poo and the only fact is Monday contract signed Tuesday I'm gone. I have no idea if anyone else left as I was all but snuck out and on linkedin my coworkers were shocked."

If I say that I'm going to look whiny or resentful. I honestly don't care but someone's gonna ask why I was at a place only 8 months, especially when the first job in town had layoffs after only 3 months. That first job will happily explain it all, but the second won't say poo poo when HR answers, per their policy, and all I was told was "bad fit" and "I wouldn't even worry you are a good dev."

If you were there as a contractor you don't even need an explanation beyond that for an 8-month position. You can't go much longer than that as a fake-FTE before the company starts risking trouble with the IRS.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Hired.com I washed out for some reason. They seem pretty opaque with their process, I spent at least an hour on my profile.

I got a call from a recruiter that has some promise. Downsides are: Spring MVC I dislike, and it's right between Chinatown and Metro Center in DC, I want something where driving and parking is a bit more feasible.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Space Whale posted:

I really want stability.

You answered your own question right here because, as long as you blame yourself, it's OK.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Comb Your Beard posted:

Hired.com I washed out for some reason. They seem pretty opaque with their process, I spent at least an hour on my profile.

I got a call from a recruiter that has some promise. Downsides are: Spring MVC I dislike, and it's right between Chinatown and Metro Center in DC, I want something where driving and parking is a bit more feasible.

Yeah they keep spamming my facebook wall talking about all the positions they're looking to fill in DC and I'm considering calling them out in one of them.

Also I would love to have a good metro-accessible downtown job instead of working out here in Tyson's. Want to trade?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Necc0 posted:

Yeah they keep spamming my facebook wall talking about all the positions they're looking to fill in DC and I'm considering calling them out in one of them.

Also I would love to have a good metro-accessible downtown job instead of working out here in Tyson's. Want to trade?

I might be about to trade my Metro-accessible job for one heading out into Herndon. I still... don't know how I feel about that. Better hours, pay-raise, possibility of a sponsored clearance, but... buying a car and I66 :magical: at least I'll be going opposite everyone else in the morning and evening. Is moving into consulting or sales engineering really like... the two true outcomes of doing this in the DC area? I know we had this discussion a few pages back, but that's how it feels

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Monkey Fury posted:

I might be about to trade my Metro-accessible job for one heading out into Herndon. I still... don't know how I feel about that. Better hours, pay-raise, possibility of a sponsored clearance, but... buying a car and I66 :magical: at least I'll be going opposite everyone else in the morning and evening. Is moving into consulting or sales engineering really like... the two true outcomes of doing this in the DC area? I know we had this discussion a few pages back, but that's how it feels

Take a long hard look at that commute before you dedicate to it. I'm doing Arlington -> Tyson's right now and it's about at the edge of my tolerance for terrible traffic.

If you're against defense contracting like I am then your options are pretty much consulting or sales, yeah. Not to say there aren't positions out there but I don't see anything impressive or worthwhile any time I look. It's really not worth setting up shop here when you have to directly compete with the Northrop Grumman's and Lockheeds for talent.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Take a long hard look at that commute before you dedicate to it. I'm doing Arlington -> Tyson's right now and it's about at the edge of my tolerance for terrible traffic.

If you're against defense contracting like I am then your options are pretty much consulting or sales, yeah. Not to say there aren't positions out there but I don't see anything impressive or worthwhile any time I look. It's really not worth setting up shop here when you have to directly compete with the Northrop Grumman's and Lockheeds for talent.

That reason can't possibly be true as it would just as easily apply to NYC or Silicon Valley. They also don't pay enough, at least for positions that don't require a clearance, to scare off other companies.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Necc0 posted:

My wife commuted from Fairfax into Gaithersburg, MD for 2+ years for jobs where you couldn't arrive early or leave too late; you know nothing about the horrors of DC area commuting.

It's a bit hyperbolic to say that there's nothing besides defense in the DMV for tech jobs, but it's simply far easier for decently skilled technical people to do the typical route into more customer-oriented salesmanship type roles like consulting or sales than it is in, say, SV, NYC, or LA by primarily shilling stuff to the bankrupt US government while much of its tech talent is bleeding into, at closest to government work, places like USDS and 18F.

So, here's a list off the top of my head of non-defense, non-sales places that I've had some decent interactions or references with although it's probably too far outside the beltway for comfort for most people that are anywhere inside the beltway.

• Salesforce
  • Amazon (can't forget it's pretty big here honestly)
  • AOL / Time Warner
  • Opower
  • USA Today
  • Neustar
  • Omni-TI
  • Washington Post
  • Bethesda Softworks

The rest are smaller mobile dev / web agency type shops that are getting swallowed up left and right but they can do ok IMO because so many companies are so old school and will continue to stay that way because rapid change is not possible without them bankrupting and given the rentier economy is what drives 90% of DC's economy you'll have to put up with that indirectly from your customers indirectly anyway.

I think the commercial, non-defense jobs (although Applied Physics Laboratory is technically defense to some degree they're not really like it at all IME) become slim pickings going into Maryland. I never was cool enough to live inside the beltway so I can't really speak much about DC-proper employers, but being pigeonholed into defense and going through the clearance process really sucks when you're just not really culturally compatible with it all.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm interviewing at a pretty large company. I've mostly worked at startups or companies that don't have any official Software Engineer <X> titles.

The position I'm interviewing is for front-end, a lot of emphasis on javascript. This is not a field this company is regularly known for being in but due to their product offerings they're hiring.

Anyways I did a "sample" test for them, and since this is a company I liked I went and did it and they seemed happy enough with it where I'm doing an onsite interview.

However, the position they offered me was SE II, I looked later online and they do have Associate SE, and SE I, but essentially this seems kinda like a demotion since most of my previous positions were "Senior" roles. I'm not sure how seriously I should treat that title and the actual job title doesn't have SEI/SEII with it. The next level for them is Sr. SE.

Can anyone familiar with "large" companies tell me how many years experience min. they want for Sr. SE roles?

Edit: Do these titles matter in the long run? How fast can I "move up" to Sr. SE?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 15, 2016

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

this seems kinda like a demotion since most of my previous positions were "Senior" roles.
If the money is similar then I think your previous senior title was a partial fiction based on time spent (that is, not /necessarily/ untrue, but probably derived from the wrong metric – that is, time.).

Strong Sauce posted:

Edit: Do these titles matter in the long run? How fast can I "move up" to Sr. SE?
The title alone, no. I would add a couple of years to a SE's experience if they told me they were senior at startups or small/medium businesses, but if they were senior at bigcos with actual career levels I might expect certain higher-level skills to be further developed.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
Didn't realize there were this many DC goons in this thread. I've been having the same struggle of trying to find proper technical work especially somewhere downtown. Anyone done the Solutions Architect role? Is it as much sales as it sounds?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Strong Sauce posted:

Can anyone familiar with "large" companies tell me how many years experience min. they want for Sr. SE roles?

There's no industry standardization for titles so there's no real way to answer those questions. Here's my experience with titles at a large company:

I was at a medium (500ish people) company that was growing their engineering department fast enough that they had to create titles. Some people who had been there since the company got started were now called "senior software engineer," some were called "software architect" if they were doing a more leadership role.

We were then acquired by a large (14000 people) company whose HR department had Software Engineer levels 1 through 5. The levels didn't dictate anything except allowable salary ranges. There was supposedly some tie to experience - you weren't supposed to let a level 1 stay at level 1 more than eighteen months before promotion or firing - but the "rules" as far as I knew were not written down and only came up with HR disagreed with a promotion or pay increase. The engineering department I was a part of cheerfully ignored the levels and kept titles the same as before acquisition but with more stratification on the leadership side as bureaucracy increased. By the time all was said and done my business card title was "Senior Software Architect and Development Manager" and my Peoplesoft HR title was "Software Manager 2" :v:

If a large company is telling you you'd be an Software Engineer II then (a) that means precisely dick outside of that company and (b) almost certainly is being determined because of the salary budget they have for the opening. If you want your business cards to say "Senior Software Engineer" I would ask the hiring manager whether that's even a thing at their company and either way whether they would put that in on their forms if it's important to you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That's the problem I'm thinking of now. My title is "Director of "-internal project I own that means dick anywhere else. While elsewhere it would be a Director of Technology role. I fear in the future some friction of HR doing apple to apples though maybe at this level recruiting is a bit better.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Hughlander posted:

That's the problem I'm thinking of now. My title is "Director of "-internal project I own that means dick anywhere else. While elsewhere it would be a Director of Technology role. I fear in the future some friction of HR doing apple to apples though maybe at this level recruiting is a bit better.

Yeah it's definitely important to have titles in that sense, when you're getting ready to make a move.

Where I am, it's a weird situation where I' form working in an autonomous division within a larger company that has spun off its own brand, so I have different titles for each brand.

At large company, I am Software Architect
At "startup", I am Director of Technology

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Hughlander posted:

It might depend on what you want out of the recruiting process. If you wanted a directorship or relatively senior role it'll probably help. I get Linkedin poo poo for senior roles all the time that are based on keyword matching. When you're going the "other" way that's when it gets fun. I caused a few raised eyebrows when I started interviewing for a individual contributor role at smaller companies. One place didn't want me as a developer but was happy to make me a manager of those same developers ( :rolleye: ). Another place asked me in every single phase of the interview if I knew that the position wasn't a management role, like all I could possibly want out of life was to continue managing people.

While I wouldn't recommend lying on your resume I think you could get away with some minor title manipulation. Call yourself a "director of development" and explain in bullet points or whatever that you directed development of an internal project and what exactly that means. On my resume I don't say that I was senior architect over [marketing and product names] because that doesn't mean a thing to anybody except my old boss. I say I was senior architect leading development of the data model and search execution for the flagship content management suite. Those terms have some general meaning in industry and at least kind of speak towards my area of technology focus.

e: I should say in the interest of fairness that I didn't use an external recruiter when I made my job switch

csammis fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 15, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Titles mean practically nothing comparing between companies. I went from "Tech Lead" at a tiny 80 person company to "SWE, SRE" at huge BigCo, but also got something like a 10k salary bump.

Plus they have tech levels which is like your "real" job title in terms of compensation bands and career advancement, but those are also different or commonly nonexistent at other companies. As a ng as you have set compensation expectations with the recruiter I wouldn't worry about it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Sign posted:

Didn't realize there were this many DC goons in this thread. I've been having the same struggle of trying to find proper technical work especially somewhere downtown. Anyone done the Solutions Architect role? Is it as much sales as it sounds?
My last official title was "Solutions Analyst" while half the people I managed had titles including "Solutions Architect" and "Systems Engineer." Three jobs before that I had a Solutions Architect title. Care much more about the work and impact upon the company instead of the title until you start adding more managerial titles that add terms like "Manager" "Executive" "Chief" and "President." Most software engineers are terrible at selling themselves here, but on the other hand many software engineers really don't need to give a drat about "business results" as much as "do you not suck at writing good software reliably?" because the business impact of software engineers is dependent upon the results of others so much.

Always tailor your resume and resulting conversations based upon what you're aiming for. I talk a lot more about the business impact and straighten my tie a little for more leadership or customer facing and/or managerial positions and how I've hired and fired people before along with how I approach different challenges - a lot of managers play golf because the soft skills are easier to assess on a putting green than a stressful grilling in a conference room. For more technical roles, I'll pull my sleeves up a bit and talk about projects I've been working on as well as technical challenges in the past and how I've solved them with different techniques to demonstrate that I'm more of a creative problem solver aiming at maximum time-benefit efficiency rather than a purely algorithmic and code-oriented problem solver where just banging out more code is the only way to move forward (I just plain disagree with the approach normally anyway in favor of gosh... thinking before pulling all nighters on throwaway code).

Anyway, try to find meet ups in DC or wherever you live, there's a good number of them that have free food and drinks sponsored by companies that are interested in talking to decent coders. Just be careful about the ones that are saturated with recruiters galore in the invite / RSVP list.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

csammis posted:

There's no industry standardization for titles so there's no real way to answer those questions. Here's my experience with titles at a large company:

I was at a medium (500ish people) company that was growing their engineering department fast enough that they had to create titles. Some people who had been there since the company got started were now called "senior software engineer," some were called "software architect" if they were doing a more leadership role.

We were then acquired by a large (14000 people) company whose HR department had Software Engineer levels 1 through 5. The levels didn't dictate anything except allowable salary ranges. There was supposedly some tie to experience - you weren't supposed to let a level 1 stay at level 1 more than eighteen months before promotion or firing - but the "rules" as far as I knew were not written down and only came up with HR disagreed with a promotion or pay increase. The engineering department I was a part of cheerfully ignored the levels and kept titles the same as before acquisition but with more stratification on the leadership side as bureaucracy increased. By the time all was said and done my business card title was "Senior Software Architect and Development Manager" and my Peoplesoft HR title was "Software Manager 2" :v:

If a large company is telling you you'd be an Software Engineer II then (a) that means precisely dick outside of that company and (b) almost certainly is being determined because of the salary budget they have for the opening. If you want your business cards to say "Senior Software Engineer" I would ask the hiring manager whether that's even a thing at their company and either way whether they would put that in on their forms if it's important to you.

okay cool so they're mostly bullshit and just for the allocated budget. that's the primary reason i'm worried about it so its good to know.

since i've mostly worked for startups i have no clue about salary for this position so i went with straight refusal of letting them know my previous salary. then when i asked her about her salary range of the position she refused to give it up (lol). and then at the end just told me they'd have to make up a number (lol). i think most engineers would think about not dealing with this kinda bullshit and generally i don't. but i'm curious myself how much more they can offer in terms of salary from their straight offer. they don't offer stock at all and instead its a mix of base + yearly bonus.

when she mentioned they "put" me in SE2 I wasn't sure if that's good? bad? but it seems relatively irrelevant if they're continuing the process with me.

anyways thanks for everyone's comments (including PMs).

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Front-end programmers: How did you develop your sense of design style? I've gotten pretty good at coding and data visualization for web development but my visuals are still dull and boring. I know how to identify bad style (so it's not quite programmer art) but I'm still a babby designer. It would be great to know a few stories from successful people.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't claim to be successful in a visual design sense, but what I do is look at related stuff that I like, then re-implement the important parts in ways that suit my needs. The main thing is to keep it obvious and usable imo.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

You answered your own question right here because, as long as you blame yourself, it's OK.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Analytic Engine posted:

Front-end programmers: How did you develop your sense of design style? I've gotten pretty good at coding and data visualization for web development but my visuals are still dull and boring. I know how to identify bad style (so it's not quite programmer art) but I'm still a babby designer. It would be great to know a few stories from successful people.

I came from a print design background, but I think the general process still applies. This is where a site like Dribbble or Behance comes in handy, or even Pinterest. Here's what I've done in the past:

- Collect screenshots of design that appeals to you. Don't limit yourself in any way, just grab anything that catches your attention. This should be ongoing.

- Every now and then, look through your collection of inspiration and start mentally categorizing similar items. Eliminate any that no longer look good to you.

- Analyze similar items for what makes them similar and what you like about them. Do they all share a similar color scheme? Do they all use whitespace the same way? Are they focused on a similar typographic approach? Try to figure out what that key idea behind the style was, and how they made it work.

- Reimplement a style you like based on the analysis you just did. Don't copy directly - try to combine the best elements of three or four similar approaches.

- Shove up your own screenshots on a portfolio site. This is super important, it's how you start to see common themes in your own work.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
What's the deal with non-competes and restrictive covenants? I'm considering a new job, and the contract I have to sign has a strange condition that prevents me from working on anything similar for another company for 18 months after I leave this company (even if I am fired).

Is this normal and do people just deal with it, or what? I know nobody here is a lawyer but just wondering if it's normal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They're illegal in California, for what it's worth. You might see if you can get that portion of the contract removed; it's something you can negotiate over. Whether you'll succeed depends in part on how invested the company is in hiring you.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're illegal in California, for what it's worth. You might see if you can get that portion of the contract removed; it's something you can negotiate over. Whether you'll succeed depends in part on how invested the company is in hiring you.

Yeah, I heard they are illegal in California. This job is in Canada, where apparently they are enforceable. It's an awkward one as I currently live in Europe so it's not easy to find an employment lawyer who knows much about Canadian employment law.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I just got laid off (again) today and HR basically said the restrictions are only valid as long as I am being paid, severance is being paid out as normal payroll instead of a lump sum. Even have to sign another "code of ethics" statement after my last day.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

return0 posted:

Is this normal and do people just deal with it, or what? I know nobody here is a lawyer but just wondering if it's normal.
This happened to someone I was trying to hire in Ohio. My employer was also based out of Ohio and the instant they found out that his current employer (also in Ohio) had that in his clause, they immediately dropped anything. It wouldn't have mattered if he had quit first and then signed on. Non-competes are very much enforced in that state and I just couldn't do anything. There was basically no way he could be hired as a software engineer or sysadmin around there, especially other contractors of that customer. This is part of what I found out has encouraged people to forcibly stay loyal to companies in that area at least beyond cultural reasons.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Space Whale posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

"It wasn't a good fit for me", "I want more/different challenges", "I need to spend less time on the road and more with my family", etc. All the regular reasons you voice in an interview basically have to be sort-of self-blaming to maintain decorum. It's not unlikely that you're getting out because the place you work strongly resembles a train loaded with tires crashing into a one loaded with oil in the middle of a junkyard, but you can't say that.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

return0 posted:

What's the deal with non-competes and restrictive covenants? I'm considering a new job, and the contract I have to sign has a strange condition that prevents me from working on anything similar for another company for 18 months after I leave this company (even if I am fired).

As others have said it's very normal in most of America. I've had non-compete clauses in my last three jobs (Missouri / Kansas for what that's worth):

The first employer, a medical software giant, sent me a certified letter on very official letterhead reminding me of my non-compete agreement after I had left the job. Scared the poo poo out of me because I hadn't started at the new position and I thought it was telling me that I was going to be sued. Upon examination it turned out to be standard procedure for that company to send that letter to everyone who quits regardless of destination. Those guys were and are pretty much dicks about people leaving despite having a reputation as a meat grinder for fresh grads.

The second employer made enterprise content management software; very broad applicability across different industries and the skills required were pretty general. I didn't receive any non-compete guff when I left. I suspect the only reason they would have started waving the non-compete flag was if I had gone to a direct competitor.

The current employer might get interesting when I leave. It's a small privately held company in a sort of niche industry and within that I'm doing fairly specialized work. I seriously doubt my next job move would keep me in that industry or even doing that specialized work but if it did I would bet that the companies involved might start invoking that clause.

If I were you I would ask the company to clarify precisely what "anything similar" means - basically, what conditions might cause the non-compete to be invoked. TooMuchAbstraction might be right about it being negotiable in general but honestly I have no idea what labor laws in Canada are like. Maybe try some shady goon advice in BFC before doing lawyer search in Europe?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

"It wasn't a good fit for me", "I want more/different challenges", "I need to spend less time on the road and more with my family", etc. All the regular reasons you voice in an interview basically have to be sort-of self-blaming to maintain decorum. It's not unlikely that you're getting out because the place you work strongly resembles a train loaded with tires crashing into a one loaded with oil in the middle of a junkyard, but you can't say that.

Can I complain about the codebase of my current project if I commend the codebase of my last project? (I just won't mention my last project was my baby and I wrote the first few thousand lines :smugdog:)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm starting to look around and am looking for some advice. Currently I'm the 'IT Director' at a small quant shop. While that title is strictly true - I direct all things IT - I'd like to move away from the systems administration side of things and focus on the development side. I currently lead a team of developers, both in the team prioritization sense and the direct management/1 on 1/performance reviews standpoint. I do feature development in Java and Python, though I wouldn't call myself a senior Java developer, and I also handle all the devops tooling - Chef, Jenkins, automated builds and deploys, etc. That's the most enjoyable aspect of my job and I'd like to find a 'devops' role if possible. Here's a couple of questions I have:

Should I alter the title on my resume? Most positions recruiters contact me about are director level positions. While I've been told I'm a good manager and I wouldn't mind managing a team, I don't want to lose the hands-on aspects of my job. Most Director jobs are PowerPoint hell with no hands on, or they're at small companies where hands on means a bunch of the menial stuff I'm trying to get away from (swapping bad phones, managing business servers, backups, etc). I know enough about devops to know that "DevOps Engineer" shouldn't really be a thing, but companies that are hiring are calling their positions that, so maybe I should just put aside my philosophical views on devops roles and put DevOps in my title?

Any tips on finding a remote job? Obviously I can let recruiters know that that's what I'm interested in when they contact me, but I wasn't sure if there were any job sites out there focused on that. I walk to work now and am not interested in driving very far to a new job. I'm outside of Philly and would be fine going into Philly once per week, or to New York or DC a few times per month, but I really would like to try a full time remote position. When I work from home at my current job, I get more done. I know that working from home doesn't work for a lot of people, but I believe that I'm a good fit for it.

The good news is that my current job is perfectly fine and I can take my time and be picky.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Can you constructively talk about it? I've inherited a couple services that have a lot of bad ideas, but half were due to time constraints and half were things that nobody knew were bad ideas until growth happened. My favorite bad design choices are the ones that work well for a long time, because you will have to make a trade off eventually in your career. Knowing what blows up a year later vs a month is helpful in those situations.

Your baby also probably has tons of bad ideas, you just don't know it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

FamDav posted:

Can you constructively talk about it? I've inherited a couple services that have a lot of bad ideas, but half were due to time constraints and half were things that nobody knew were bad ideas until growth happened. My favorite bad design choices are the ones that work well for a long time, because you will have to make a trade off eventually in your career. Knowing what blows up a year later vs a month is helpful in those situations.

Your baby also probably has tons of bad ideas, you just don't know it.

Oh yeah, totally. I've made a lot of changes to the bad project and I've been focusing fixing the bad design choices as I've started to look for new work so I have something to talk about. My project was substantially less complicated to be fair, a simple-ish REST API with messaging queues for a few things versus a real-time trading system.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
I'm in somewhat of an interesting situation (haha, not really, but could use some insight/advice anyway).

Current job: overall comfy, but it's 5 days in an office and I, similar to a couple other posters here, am not much of an "office worker". I've been there for almost 10 months now. I tend to work better from home overall, although I think my best gigs have been ones where I work onsite a couple days per week and from home 3 days. I do find the mix to be nice, especially with a laid back, non-corporate company. Anyway, current job is decent and although it's been boring me lately I can't say it's a bad one, but I have been interested in returning to working remotely for the aforementioned reasons along with having more flexibility on where I can live. In general I've been looking for a job that interests me more culturally, so I've recently begun sending out resumes and keeping my eyes peeled.

I've been talking to a company that is interested in hiring me, but there are some things about them that are... possibly red flags? Their engineering team is a mix of full time employees and a few contractors. I think it's 7 or 8 total. They are fully remote. They want me as a full time employee, and supposedly a long-term one, but can only pay me as a 1099 (hourly, with time tracking) - the explanation there is that they're so spread out all over the world that until they consolidate their workforce in the next 6 months, they can't pay everyone internally as a W2 flat salary employee (or rather, their U.S. based employees. I'm not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere). When I interviewed with them, they didn't really grill me on anything technical; no coding tests, no quizzes, nothing. Just general questions about my experience and how I like to work. The company itself is in a domain that isn't exactly glorious or cool, and I'd definitely say that it would look less impressive on a resume than my current job does. I talked to their CEO and he seems like a straight shooter overall. Their engineering team uses a lot of the agile/scrum stuff I'm not a super huge fan of but it doesn't seem like anything that would be too off-putting. I've been on teams where strict scrum/agile adherence with planning poker and that sort of thing resulted in sprint planning meetings that lasted a nightmare-ish 4-5 hours. These guys claim to be able to get it done in an about an hour. So I'm at the point, more or less, where my decision is going to largely depend upon their compensation and whether or not I feel like it's a safe choice.

I asked for a certain amount, and they returned with an offer that is less than what I'm making now by about 10k if you assume a 20% reduction when converting 1099 rate to W2 (this is a rough estimation that I'm not entirely sure is accurate). I countered by asking for significantly more and explained my reasoning based on salary data for people of my experience level, as well as their offer being a drop from what I'm currently making. They've been saying they're in a hurry to get this sorted because they want to fly me out for a dev team meeting that they do twice per year and the next one is coming up soon. They've set me up to chat with their CEO to discuss compensation tonight, and I'm not entirely sure what the conversation is going to be like. I was originally somewhat excited about this, but the whole process has been unlike anything I've experienced that I'm not sure what to make of it and I'm left with a sense of wariness. Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of thing before?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Amish Ninja posted:

I'm in somewhat of an interesting situation (haha, not really, but could use some insight/advice anyway).

Current job: overall comfy, but it's 5 days in an office and I, similar to a couple other posters here, am not much of an "office worker". I've been there for almost 10 months now. I tend to work better from home overall, although I think my best gigs have been ones where I work onsite a couple days per week and from home 3 days. I do find the mix to be nice, especially with a laid back, non-corporate company. Anyway, current job is decent and although it's been boring me lately I can't say it's a bad one, but I have been interested in returning to working remotely for the aforementioned reasons along with having more flexibility on where I can live. In general I've been looking for a job that interests me more culturally, so I've recently begun sending out resumes and keeping my eyes peeled.

I've been talking to a company that is interested in hiring me, but there are some things about them that are... possibly red flags? Their engineering team is a mix of full time employees and a few contractors. I think it's 7 or 8 total. They are fully remote. They want me as a full time employee, and supposedly a long-term one, but can only pay me as a 1099 (hourly, with time tracking) - the explanation there is that they're so spread out all over the world that until they consolidate their workforce in the next 6 months, they can't pay everyone internally as a W2 flat salary employee (or rather, their U.S. based employees. I'm not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere). When I interviewed with them, they didn't really grill me on anything technical; no coding tests, no quizzes, nothing. Just general questions about my experience and how I like to work. The company itself is in a domain that isn't exactly glorious or cool, and I'd definitely say that it would look less impressive on a resume than my current job does. I talked to their CEO and he seems like a straight shooter overall. Their engineering team uses a lot of the agile/scrum stuff I'm not a super huge fan of but it doesn't seem like anything that would be too off-putting. I've been on teams where strict scrum/agile adherence with planning poker and that sort of thing resulted in sprint planning meetings that lasted a nightmare-ish 4-5 hours. These guys claim to be able to get it done in an about an hour. So I'm at the point, more or less, where my decision is going to largely depend upon their compensation and whether or not I feel like it's a safe choice.

I asked for a certain amount, and they returned with an offer that is less than what I'm making now by about 10k if you assume a 20% reduction when converting 1099 rate to W2 (this is a rough estimation that I'm not entirely sure is accurate). I countered by asking for significantly more and explained my reasoning based on salary data for people of my experience level, as well as their offer being a drop from what I'm currently making. They've been saying they're in a hurry to get this sorted because they want to fly me out for a dev team meeting that they do twice per year and the next one is coming up soon. They've set me up to chat with their CEO to discuss compensation tonight, and I'm not entirely sure what the conversation is going to be like. I was originally somewhat excited about this, but the whole process has been unlike anything I've experienced that I'm not sure what to make of it and I'm left with a sense of wariness. Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of thing before?

Those are all really bad signs.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Ithaqua posted:

Those are all really bad signs.

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate a bit?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Amish Ninja posted:

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate a bit?

They don't test their applicants for technical skills, which means the chances are very high that everyone is technically inept. Think of it like this: If you're a bad developer, companies that screen well will filter you out. Those people land in jobs that don't screen, because they can't get jobs elsewhere.

It sounds like they're making up an excuse to not hire you full-time and leave you as a contractor, probably because they don't want to or can't afford benefits.

Of course, it's also possible that they do that with everyone: Start you out as a contractor, keep you full-time if you're good, dump you if you're bad. But that's a lovely way of screening applicants.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't be a contractor unless you're paid obscene amounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have about 10 years' experience in software now. Normally at that experience level I'd expect someone to be making a transition towards either a senior SDE role (which AIUI consists in large part of architectural / leadership engineering plus helping less-experienced devs), or looking to go into management/sales. But I've been working mostly on solo or small-team projects for the past 5+ years now (prior to that was one enterprise-scale company that I spent 3 years with, and then a small web-dev house). I'm confident in my general design/implementation skills, but I have zero leadership experience (unless you count "leading from below" with some ornery bosses...that I have). Given that I've decided to put myself back on the market, what kinds of jobs title-wise should I be looking to get into?

Also, domain-wise I'd like to work in jobs that have some interaction with scientific research and/or hardware control, those being my two existing niches. Except I have relatively little idea what the market for those domains looks like (in the SF Bay Area). Any advice or comments on that front?