Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

You're ignoring the advent of actual consequences, the rise of grim-n-gritty, and writing for the trade, and each of those are significant developments that are worth discussion.

Consequences and grit and so on are part of the continuous, p. smooth process of people trying to create more mature, adult-appealing comics. It's led to both a search for literary legitimacy and the rise of "R-rated" material. The only things that have interrupted that meaningfully are outside economic and cultural factors, like shifts in distribution channels or moral panics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

We've had actual creators sometimes share neat stories in BSS, but their posts were picked up by lovely rumor-mongering comics news outlets so they had to stop.

The only one I remember was Gail Simone and that was memorable for Sgt Rock burning her comics. I sadly missed the time Warren Ellis was here. Also what ever happened to Radioactive?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

The only one I remember was Gail Simone and that was memorable for Sgt Rock burning her comics. I sadly missed the time Warren Ellis was here. Also what ever happened to Radioactive?

Do you mean Hyperactive? He still posts in the Atomic Robo thread.

CapnAndy posted:

You're ignoring the advent of actual consequences, the rise of grim-n-gritty, and writing for the trade, and each of those are significant developments that are worth discussion.

But none of those things happened in clearly definable ages. The shittiest, safest, boringest Silver Age DC comics were being published at the same time as horror mags that, while tame compared to Garth Ennis Presents: ShitFuckBloodQuest, were way grittier than anything that came out in the mid-70s to early 90s at the big two. Indie comics were doing what Bendis and others did with organic dialogue and trade-focused writing some 20 years before Ultimate Marvel existed. The only way to make any of the traditional "ages" of comics make any sense is if you just look at Superman and Batman and ignore the entire rest of the medium.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 20, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

But none of those things happened in clearly definable ages.
I literally defined the Bronze, Dark, and Diamond Ages to go along with Squizzle already defining the Golden, Silver, Chromium, and Modern Ages. That's all of them.

And yeah, the lines are always fuzzy because this is an art form spread out over like six different publishers, plus indies, and umpteen creators, all of whom are in a constant dialogue with each other sometimes using a shared set of characters and agreed-upon history and sometimes not. So you get poo poo like Kingdom Come coming out in 1996 but being a harbinger of trends that wouldn't really start to be felt for another 5 years, or the recent resurgence of 90s bullshit at DC. And, of course, it's just going back and putting a name and convenient but inaccurate milestones on a trend only fully seen years after the fact, so that fuzzies it up too. That doesn't mean it's not worth talking about or that you can't, generally, date a comic to its era basically as soon as you see the cover, let alone any of the actual contents.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 20, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
You're not wrong about other genres doing stuff earlier. The ages people talk about are specifically superhero comics for the most part.

It's not like there weren't comics before 1938. There just weren't superhero comics, or at least not popular ones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scaramouche posted:

That seems dumb though since it's mostly about distribution channels and ratings boards, divorced from content. It's be like saying the only eras of video games are pre-esrb and post-steam
I agree in principle, but the CCA had significant and wide ranging consequences on the medium that are just incomparable to ESRB, to the degree that I think that it absolutely qualifies as an eon straddling the traditional silver, bronze and modern ages.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ghostlight posted:

I agree in principle, but the CCA had significant and wide ranging consequences on the medium that are just incomparable to ESRB, to the degree that I think that it absolutely qualifies as an eon straddling the traditional silver, bronze and modern ages.

My main problem with the traditional definition of the Modern Age is that it starts in 1986 and goes to "Present", even though there's definitly another sea change in there somewhere. Comics from 1988 do not resemble comics today.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For anyone reading the IDW Micronauts: Is the writing of the Microverse still Western Baby's First Attempt at Nagari Script? Because that was always charmingly wrong.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

I blame Gavok.

Good plan.

Unmature posted:

And while we're at it, I guess tell me your favorite Doom stories too.

My favorite Doom story is What If: Secret Wars. It's about Doom not falling for the Beyonder's last-minute power grab during the original Secret Wars, which allows Doom to keep his omnipotence. The power alone isn't enough to satiate his needs and he dedicates his existence to conquering rather than ruling. He conquers Earth, conquers/destroys alien civilizations, gathers the Infinity Gems and goes after the Celestials so there's nobody higher than him on the cosmic food chain. In the end, the journey makes him realize how much he respects humanity and he ends up embracing his own.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"What if Dr. Doom had become a hero" is pretty good. He actually takes Reed's advice about his machine and they save his mother together, and he returns to Latveria and becomes a just ruler who wears a shiny golden armor, and he's generally a help to the outside world instead of a threat.

Spoilers: in the end, he's still Doom.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Finally getting around to starting comixology, it looks like they have pretty much everything. I know what I want from the big two, but I want to know about good jumping on points for a few series

Transformers (I know there's MTMTE and I want to say Robots in Disguise series)
TMNT
Ghostbusters

Also it looks like they have issues the day they come out or at least the week they come out? Marvel still has about a week delay, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

Finally getting around to starting comixology, it looks like they have pretty much everything. I know what I want from the big two, but I want to know about good jumping on points for a few series

TMNT
Ghostbusters

Also it looks like they have issues the day they come out or at least the week they come out? Marvel still has about a week delay, right?

The TF books are solid from issue #1 but optional jump on points would be after Dark Cybertron.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

TMNT
Ghostbusters

Nope they all come out the day of

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CzarChasm posted:

Nope, everything is day and date these days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CzarChasm posted:

TMNT
Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters International is the name of the current run. It is the latest part in a continuity spanning multiple volumes, but it's self contained and explains previous stuff when necessary in the recaps. tbh I haven't read most of the older stuff and I haven't had any problems.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

CzarChasm posted:

TMNT
Ghostbusters

TMNT is a slow burn, but (almost) every issue counts. When you get to the Neutrino arc, just power through. It gets much, much better.

Ghostbusters is uneven, but Dan Schoening's art is never not good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's actually currently 3 Transformers ongoings. The Transformers (formerly Robots In Disguise until the new cartoon stole the name), More Than Meets The Eye and Til All Are One (formerly Windblade).

The first trade of MTMTE is the generally agreed on jumping on point (these titles are continuations of a bunch of other TF books from IDW over the last decade or so). I seem to recall some recent IDW book, maybe the ROM FCBD thing, having a reading order/how to get started with Transformers comics flowchart in the back.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

CzarChasm posted:

TMNT
Ghostbusters

Transformers:
Start with Death of Optimus, and the ongoings continue from there.
RID eventually drops its subtitle

For MTMTE the only other comics I'd recommend are Last Stand of the Wreckers (also by James Roberts) and two issues of the previous comic that were also James Roberts, but neither are essential, and no other knowledge of IDW tf is required.

For RID... Idk, John Barber has a little bit more interest in continuity and a few issues are actually just devoted to fixing continuity errors, but I wouldn't think it would be required. He also makes more references whereas John Rogers is trying to make new things. Just look at https://tfwiki.net for anything you don't get, the wiki is well organized and humorous, continuities are separated very well on each entry instead of just dumped together. (RID also eventually drops its subtitle)

They eventually tie together in Dark Cybertron, and when that ends that's the jumping on point for the Windblade comics, a third series which is actually more entertaining than RID IMO.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CzarChasm posted:

TMNT

TMNT is simple to follow, but a bit confusing due to the number of titles on comiXology.

For the most part, you want to start with this series, either the first issue or the first collected volume (which are now on sale!).
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles/comics-series/6433

There are also a bunch of mini-series. I say pick and choose what sounds interesting from those. The only ones I'd say are required are the Micro-Series and the Villains Micro-Series, which weave into the main story in the early volumes, an issue at a time (like I said, confusing). The rest, you can pick up from context clues if you don't wanna read the issues.
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Micro-Series/comics-series/7004
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Villains-Micro-Series/comics-series/10021

The other ones you may wanna read are: Turtles in Time, Secret History of the Foot Clan, Mutanimals, Casey & April, and Ultrom Empire. This Wikipedia article looks like a decent reading order. At least those later mini-series are self-contained, so you don't need to weave them into the main title.

There's a ton of other titles that you can skip (though I'd recommend reading at least the first few of the original comics to get a sense of the history). There's like four titles collecting various issues of the original run.
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics/comics-series/8328
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Classics/comics-series/9138
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection/comics-series/7951
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Tales-of-the-TMNT/comics-series/9025

And two based on the various cartoons.
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Animated-2003/comics-series/8327
https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures/comics-series/8240

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Uthor posted:

This Wikipedia article looks like a decent reading order. At least those later mini-series are self-contained, so you don't need to weave them into the main title.

There's also this, which helps a bunch if you're dead set on being a completionist.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

For anyone reading the IDW Micronauts: Is the writing of the Microverse still Western Baby's First Attempt at Nagari Script? Because that was always charmingly wrong.

To be more clear, I mean this:

And I should have said Devanagari instead of Nagari script, but in my defense, the professor I learned Sanskrit under was a white-haired expat philologist who at one point said the same thing to us like four times before he realized he was speaking German instead of English. I picked up a lot of weird Sanskrit-related habits from him, including saying "Nagari script" imprecisely.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

"What if Dr. Doom had become a hero" is pretty good. He actually takes Reed's advice about his machine and they save his mother together, and he returns to Latveria and becomes a just ruler who wears a shiny golden armor, and he's generally a help to the outside world instead of a threat.

Spoilers: in the end, he's still Doom.

Those two What Ifs make for good companion pieces.

One is about Doom being a hero and it shows his negative aspects shine through. The other is about Doom succeeding as a villain and it shows his positive aspects shine through.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here's the best Dr. Doom story. I'm about to objectively prove what the best Dr. Doom story is.

It's the story that ends with this:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm waiting until Secret Wars is all on Unlimited to read it, but I love Ultimate stuff and the last issue of Ultimate End just went up today. Do I need to read the core series first or does it not spoil anything?

I've read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers up to SW

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's incredibly bad and doesn't even do the job it was created to do.

It's literally the only SW mini I've seen explicitly recommended that people not read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toxxupation posted:

It's incredibly bad and doesn't even do the job it was created to do.

It's literally the only SW mini I've seen explicitly recommended that people not read.
I liked seeing the old Ultimate trade dressing one more time, at least?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey, I already said I love Ultimate stuff, you think the fact that it's bad is going to stop me? I just don't want it to spoil any of the actual good stuff.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 21, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I liked seeing the old Ultimate trade dressing one more time, at least?

Actually Ultimate End 1 being literally USM 1 with Miles subbed in for Peter and the whole background on fire is one of the better cover designs of all time.

Go with god I guess Retro Futurist. As far as I'm aware it doesn't spoil literally anything about the SW event, and just like every other SW tie-in ever (outside of Old Man Logan) can be read in-between issues 6 and 7 of SW proper.

I guess if you're going into SW SUPER BLIND you will be spoiled on the nature of Battleworld and how it works, but again that's not...really a spoiler so much as the inherent premise of the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultimate End isn't really an ending for the Ultimate Universe. It's actually debatable whether the characters there are even the same ones as it seems they and all the 616 heroes they share the city with may just be creations of Doom.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's really crazy that Ultimate End wasn't literally "Bendis and Bagley show the 1610 side of The Final Incursion" since that's a premise that, one, writes itself, and two was more or less completely ignored by Hickman in Avengers, New Avengers, or SW proper.

Like how do you gently caress that layup up that hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People seem to think the Punisher in his new series is Ultimate Frank Castle for some reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

People seem to think the Punisher in his new series is Ultimate Frank Castle for some reason.

I really cant believe anybody at marvel cares enough about punisher to something as needlessly complex as that

Not to mention the fact that thats really dumb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But UU Frank isn't all that different?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Different enough. He's a former cop and uh, probably something else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only differences that matter is UU Frank was a cop betrayed by corrupt cops and he killed Ultimate Jean DeWolf, but Ultimate Jean DeWolf was hella corrupt worked for Ultimate Kingpin, so that's sorta like completely expected.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Having just read Ultimate End because I was stuck on a bus, UU Frank also doesn't wear the white gloves.

Which makes him rather indistinguishable from most Franks.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's making people think that? The gloves? Or has he mentioned being a cop?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The only differences that matter is UU Frank was a cop betrayed by corrupt cops and he killed Ultimate Jean DeWolf, but Ultimate Jean DeWolf was hella corrupt worked for Ultimate Kingpin, so that's sorta like completely expected.

Also he killed Spider-Man.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So, basically, what you're saying is that Ultimate Frank was a cop, and good at his job. But he committed the ultimate sin and testified against other cops gone bad, cops that tried to kill him, but got the woman he loved instead. Framed for murder, now he prowls the badlands, an outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter... a RENEGADE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Have other writers kept up Fraction's interpretation of Hawkeye? Has anyone done a good job of it?

I read the first couple issues of Lemire's followup, but didn't keep up with it. Is it good?