Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Is that actually factory interior? I'm unfamiliar with that design if it is. I was suggesting that if a car's interior has been hosed with its probably also been hosed with under the hood.

Series 2 interior. Only 1000 made

https://www.scion.com/blog/news/scion-frs-release-series-2-0-announcement-images/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

GutBomb posted:

Is that actually factory interior? I'm unfamiliar with that design if it is. I was suggesting that if a car's interior has been hosed with its probably also been hosed with under the hood.

No its that way from the factory. I kind of like it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't hate it. The wheels look great

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's similar to the series.blue interior (though the series.blue is a bit more understated.)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
2017 BRZ Limited gets an performance pack with Brembo brakes and Sachs dampers:
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/27/2017-subaru-brz-performance-pack-updates/
All BRZs:
- +5hp and +5 ft lbs (obviously same as 86)
- larger rear sway bar and some chassis bracing
- final drive on manual changed from 4.1 to 4.3
- exterior updates
- data LCD display on Limited models

Perf pack (on manual Limited only)
- altered stability control with Track setting
- Sachs branded dampers
- Brembo brakes
- black 17" wheels

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Subaru also has some announcement about the BRZ on the 12th of June. Very curious. Please be something everyone wants so a previous gen Limited gets nice and cheap for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Curious to see where that goes.

This keeps catching my eye on CL:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5533913090.html

Best color, wheels, trim, it has power and not too many stupid mods I'd hate. Except maybe the exhaust/headers.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I was looking at stock BRZs for a reliable daily driver and ended up buying a FRS with 40kmi on it that has a kraftwerks supercharger, AP racing brakes, KW v3s, and aero bits.

:getin:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Muffinpox posted:

I was looking at stock BRZs for a reliable daily driver and ended up buying a FRS with 40kmi on it that has a kraftwerks supercharger, AP racing brakes, KW v3s, and aero bits.

Ballsier than I.

Even if you get a good deal on a modded out gt86 what scares me is trying to sell it down the line... Your resale value takes a poo poo and you have no idea what you're getting into when it comes to the installation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

pics!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

Ballsier than I.

Even if you get a good deal on a modded out gt86 what scares me is trying to sell it down the line... Your resale value takes a poo poo and you have no idea what you're getting into when it comes to the installation.

I've known the owner for a few years and got the car for ~3k over what I would pay for a stock one, including with all the stock parts, so it shouldn't be hard to move for near what I paid for it. I don't think I'm going to keep it supercharged forever since aftermarket FI gives me paranoia. I'm also going to pull off some of the aero/bracing which should fetch a good amount of the purchase price back.

I get the car Thursday/Friday, I'll take pics then.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 21, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hog Obituary posted:

2017 BRZ Limited gets an performance pack with Brembo brakes and Sachs dampers:
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/27/2017-subaru-brz-performance-pack-updates/
All BRZs:
- +5hp and +5 ft lbs (obviously same as 86)
- larger rear sway bar and some chassis bracing
- final drive on manual changed from 4.1 to 4.3
- exterior updates
- data LCD display on Limited models

Perf pack (on manual Limited only)
- altered stability control with Track setting
- Sachs branded dampers
- Brembo brakes
- black 17" wheels

The interior looks a lot nicer. It's a shame they didn't really do anything power wise.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

I've known the owner for a few years and got the car for ~3k over what I would pay for a stock one, including with all the stock parts, so it shouldn't be hard to move for near what I paid for it. I don't think I'm going to keep it supercharged forever since aftermarket FI gives me paranoia. I'm also going to pull off some of the aero/bracing which should fetch a good amount of the purchase price back.

Why would you buy it just to take off all the cool stuff? I mean you can make some money, but why not buy a used one without all that and avoid the effort?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You can probably sell all of the aftermarket stuff for more than the difference in sale price between this car and an unmodified one of similar mileage/age. It's of particular importance that the stock parts came with the car as well. Does that include the stock brakes and suspension?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Muffinpox posted:

Nice, that's how to do it. I bought my kennel belle 8psi supercharged mustang from my friend so I knew it was reliable. I sold it a year later after a ton of test drives and tire kickers who low balled me. It was a 2003 gt with 25000 miles in amazing condition and my most common response when someone low balled was "you offered what a stock gt with 70000 miles go for on Craigslist you should buy one next time they pop up" but I finally found a buyer who could afford the asking price. It was some rich young kids who drove the piss out of it on the test drive and narrowly avoided getting pulled over so I was pretty happy about it going to a good home.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Why would you buy it just to take off all the cool stuff? I mean you can make some money, but why not buy a used one without all that and avoid the effort?

I want all the suspension stuff this car has done which is a lot more than coilovers. Doing all that on a used car or buying one with the mods already done all ended up costing the same or more than this car.

The aero and brace are the only things definitely coming off; the aero is gonna get hosed up at autox and the brace blocks the hole between the trunk and rear seats. I'll keep the supercharger as long as it doesn't become a headache, I won't really be paranoid about it until the cars getting to 60-70kmi.

GutBomb posted:

You can probably sell all of the aftermarket stuff for more than the difference in sale price between this car and an unmodified one of similar mileage/age. It's of particular importance that the stock parts came with the car as well. Does that include the stock brakes and suspension?

Yea, the brake setup in the car is so much better than stock in terms of feel, I can't imagine I'll be swapping back to stock ever. Stock parts are more for when I do decide to sell it, if no one wants to buy it wholesale then just return it to more stock until someone bites. Like an evo.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
She's here! I don't know that I can actually part with the supercharger, this car is making ~270whp with a centrifugal and its pretty much perfect. Here are some lovely photos since I've been too busy driving and unpacking the car. Since I have my life priorities in order, I will be racing this before I have a chance to actually get it an inspection sticker this week.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 24, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
gently caress yes, go get some good race pics.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Yeah if you take off that supercharger you will hate driving the gt86.. it would be impossible to get a taste of the car having actual power and then going back to 7s 0-60

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What's the driving characteristics of that centrifugal supercharger? Is all peaky power? Or do you feel like you're getting pretty good power everywhere? Have you driven a stock gt86 to compare to?

From reading along with MotoIQ's project FRS they said the screw type supercharger made power down low in the rev range and just made the car feel like it had a bigger engine instead of force induction.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

What's the driving characteristics of that centrifugal supercharger? Is all peaky power? Or do you feel like you're getting pretty good power everywhere? Have you driven a stock gt86 to compare to?

From reading along with MotoIQ's project FRS they said the screw type supercharger made power down low in the rev range and just made the car feel like it had a bigger engine instead of force induction.

Yea, I've driven bsamus twice which is why I got a twin. I really love these cars, even stock. I don't mind the power in stock ones, they're torquey everywhere and pretty linear for power delivery which is nice, except that torque dip.

The supercharger feels stockish from idle to ~2k but after that it has way more grunt, I don't even bother downshifting for passing once I'm at 2500rpm. I'm not sure if it's the supercharger or tune but there's a bit of lag in the low rpms, but by 3500 the instant on nature of superchargers is there. Power swells in a linear fashion all the way up to redline, and it definitely feels like it's making peak torque and power at redline. It's more like driving an OHV motor than something that is boosted.

Edit: One of my favorite mods to this car is replacing a bunch of plastic interior panels with alcantara, like the knee sections. One of my favorite touches of the S2000 was a nice leather section amid the cabin plastics to brace with your knee. Really feels nice!

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 24, 2016

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Holy Jesus. The supercharger doesn't really change the way the car drives, I found myself thinking about whether I wanted to downshift for the top of 2nd vs the mid range of 3rd, but it is faaaaaaast. Theres still plenty of torque in 3rd but the ramp up in acceleration towards redline is definitely noticeable. This car was really well done, it was ~95deg and the barely budged over normal operating temps even sitting on hot concrete idling between runs. I think the highest I ever saw oil go to was 222.

I also need to take off the side aero, they each stick out an inch or two past the wheels and make the car too wide. There was an offset slalom I could hit at 70+mph by wiggling the car and I could hear the side one nailing a cone every time.

I might pull the rear diffuser until the front splitter is back on, the brakes seems decelerate harder the slower the car is going so I'm wondering if there's unbalanced aero affecting it a bit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've driven a few supercharged BRZs now and it's definitely the best configuration for the car. It turns it from a Miata-style car to a retarded burnout machine.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Hit 30k this week and took it in for maintenance.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Did people forget about these cars or something? This '13 FRS was sitting in a local dealers lot for a week and I was the only one to look at it. It only has 3,700 miles and was listed for $18,900. Hello new(-ish) car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
People definitely remember the cars it's just $4000 off a $23k car that's 3 years old with no warranty isn't exactly a scorching deal. Especially now that the new body styles are like a month away

Edit: basically if there's no warranty don't waste another day---just supercharge the car and give it the power it deserves!! I would supercharge my brz but after three years I'm worn out on how stiff and noisy it is on the highway and I'm ready to get rid of it :v: drive it for a month to get used to the really nice balance and rotation of the car and the very decent electric steering then you will appreciate the supercharger even more

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 29, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The new body styling is going to be the death of this car. it looks awful.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think the tail lights look a lot nicer and less ricer-ish, and the front looks barely changed :confused:

Edit: ok I was looking at the BRZ. The Toyota 86's front end looks kinda blah but the old front end was kinda blah too, so :shrug:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

I think the tail lights look a lot nicer and less ricer-ish, and the front looks barely changed :confused:

Edit: ok I was looking at the BRZ. The Toyota 86's front end looks kinda blah but the old front end was kinda blah too, so :shrug:

yeah the new tail lights are great, its just everything going on at the front (of the Toyota) is bad. it looks like a ninja turtles mouth.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
At least the bar's been moved pretty low, because it can't be worse than the new Miata. :v:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am strongly considering http://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/oftofh3-combo-package/

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
2.4l V8 with an 11,000 rpm redline? Sign me up!

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/11/subaru-brz-362hp-24liter-v8-japan-video/

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sounds like a swarm of really pissed off hornets, that's fantastic.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Running a couple days on 87 octane gas isn't a big deal, right? Gas shortage means nobody's getting anything higher for a few days.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Running a couple days on 87 octane gas isn't a big deal, right? Gas shortage means nobody's getting anything higher for a few days.

Drive gingerly if you can. These cars are supposed to have pretty good anti-knock in them.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

dupersaurus posted:

You'll lose some HP and it might drive rough for a few miles until the computer adjusts, should be fine though. Will also take a few miles once your back to 93 to readjust.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Where do you live that this happens? I've never heard of this.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Larrymer posted:

The main pipeline servicing the southeast US ruptured last week, spilling somewhere north of 350,000 gallons. It's still not operational.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Larrymer posted:

North Carolina. (insert joke here). I the main pipe supplying us broke and cut of supplies for a week-ish. It's back, but they're catching up which I guess means only making 87 for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wallaka posted:

The main pipeline servicing the southeast US ruptured last week, spilling somewhere north of 350,000 gallons. It's still not operational.

I somehow hadn't heard about that, but it's like perfect timing with the whole North Dakota pipeline thing going on.

• Locked thread