Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

Loeb's Nova is the closest the Nova concept has been to Marv Wolfman's original intent of making the next Spider-Man. Ed McGuiness makes him look amazing. Also check out Original Sin #0 after those Nova issues.

Loeb's run on Nova, you mean, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Same thing. Loeb created Sam Alexander.

Nova and Spider-Man being on the Avengers reminded me of something I heard about cinema. To avoid a black/white biracial relationship they would pair the black or white male with a hispanic woman.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I loving hate Sam and the only saving grace of him being on the avengers is that Kamala can't seem to stand him either.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

I meant after issue 6 or whenever Loeb left the book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Die Laughing posted:

Nova and Spider-Man being on the Avengers reminded me of something I heard about cinema. To avoid a black/white biracial relationship they would pair the black or white male with a hispanic woman.

You're half right, people don't really give a poo poo about whatever race a white dude dates in movies/tv, but if it's a black male lead the love interest is usually also black or hispanic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even Will Smith, who throughout his career has been an exception to most of the rules, didn't have a white love interest until like Focus.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://youtu.be/9aofoBrFNdg

Help! I've gone deaf and dogs are attacking my home!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It didn't occur to me until today that the "NOT A DREAM! NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!" blurbs Stan Lee put on the covers to a bunch of Silver Age Marvel comics were a dig at DC.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It didn't occur to me until today that the "NOT A DREAM! NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!" blurbs Stan Lee put on the covers to a bunch of Silver Age Marvel comics were a dig at DC.
No, DC did it a loving bunch too. Dreams and imaginary stories (and eventually hoaxes) were cop-outs used so often to explain the lunacy happening on the covers that as soon as fans saw something nuts happening they'd immediately go "oh, it's a dream or imaginary story or hoax, whatever", and so the publishers started putting explicit denials that they were using those cliches to make people interested in the whole "wait so how are you getting out of this one" thing they needed to be buying into so that they'd actually buy the comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, DC during the 50's and 60's was just Bruce Wayne's imaginings in Dr Hurt's isolation tank therapy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Even Will Smith, who throughout his career has been an exception to most of the rules, didn't have a white love interest until like Focus.

Will Smith has done nothing but obeying the rules though. His movies are intentional made non-threatening in order to appeal to everyone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is world war hulk good?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Is world war hulk good?

Planet Hulk is good, World War Hulk not so much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'd say Planet Hulk is great while World War Hulk is decent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Toxxupation posted:

Is world war hulk good?

The Punisher tie ins are incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Men in Black - 1997, I Robot - 2004, Hancock - 2008, Focus - 2015. All white ladies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, he doesn't actually end up with Fiorentino in MIB.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Planet Hulk is great, World War Hulk is worth reading and def has some cool moments and tie ins. Do not, under any circumstances, read any of the Son of Hulk stuff. If you ignore this warning and persist in reading Son of Hulk, you MUST not continue reading after issue #13. This is the most important thing you will read in this thread. gently caress to Hiro-Kala.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

She was still the female lead/romantic interest. And whiiiiiiiiiite.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

He's talking about Tommy Lee Jones.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Doesn't end up with him either, till 3 at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It doesn't matter, the original posts states "white love interest" and Will's got tons of those.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well it's a bittersweet love story, but I don't think the criteria for "love interest" is "they have to end up together". Tis better to have loved and lost.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

To the contrary, the owner of a lonely heart is much better than the owner of a broken heart.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

To the contrary, the owner of a lonely heart is much better than the owner of a broken heart.

I've heard tell that one car in an alley is better than a vacant lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They probably hooked up. Ain't like there's a huge dating pool for people like them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the gang warfare kung fu romantic tragedy, Romeo Must Die, the asian and black leads who are in love never kiss.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading Avengers The Initiative and I'm...let's say extremely disappointed that a concept this cool is done so poorly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I've heard tell that one car in an alley is better than a vacant lot.

I see, my friend, that you believe in life after love. I respect your view, but there is something deep inside me saying I really don't think you're strong enough.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

I see, my friend, that you believe in life after love. I respect your view, but there is something deep inside me saying I really don't think you're strong enough.

I hate you

lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

Look I know how I might come across but just try to love me if you can.

I'm pretty sure I am strong enough to be your man.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've heard that one is the loneliest number.

But two can be as bad as one, just as bad as number one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All I want is to know what love is.

I want you to show me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

All I want is to know what love is.

I want you to show me.

:agreed:

What is love?

Travis343 posted:

Look I know how I might come across but just try to love me if you can.

I'm pretty sure I am strong enough to be your man.

Baby, don't hurt me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know what y'all are even talking about.

But I know all there is to know about the crying game.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've heard that one is the loneliest number.

But two can be as bad as one, just as bad as number one.

Learning to love yourself, it is the greatest love of all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

Baby, don't hurt me.

You know I'm forever yours.

Faithfully

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Which side are you on, boys?

Which side are you on?

....Oh workers can you stand it?
Oh tell me how you can. :smith:

I am not a fan of Civil War 2 and would rather Marvel not do it. I am not much interested in what side people/characters are on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Marvel Danvers is nowhere near well-liked enough to make this a situation where you actually are torn between sides. Tony's also been such an rear end in a top hat for so long that it's not very appealing to pick his side. And the conflict is Mega-Dumb. RT if you agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's also so far been 100% Carol acting reasonable and Tony throwing completely illogical tantrums.

• Locked thread