Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Comparing Chriss to Tyrus Thomas is brutal and also 5000% accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Guys I haven't read poo poo about the draft this year and this thread is basically the adults from Charlie Brown talking to me, who is my second round savior

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tough to say because there's no telling who is going 20-40

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

DX has the Rockets taking both these guys

Is Morey just gonna put em in a room with Sam Dekker and a sharpened stick and sign the one who emerges alive?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

chunkles posted:

Guys I haven't read poo poo about the draft this year and this thread is basically the adults from Charlie Brown talking to me, who is my second round savior

Thon Maker or Zhou Qi maybe?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chunkles posted:

Nick Young

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

chunkles posted:

Caris LeVert is projected to go early 2nd, he's a senior who would have left early except for recurrent injuries to his left foot. The upside is, for the most recent injury he had the same Jones fracture surgery that's worked for KD. LeVert is excellent at catch-and-shoot, creates for teammates and works hard on defense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Comparing Chriss to Tyrus Thomas is brutal and also 5000% accurate

eeeeeeehhhh, they're both long, bouncey dudes who are really raw but a big part of Chriss' appeal is that he shot well from three and Thomas shot all of one three pointer in college (he did make it though!). Thomas was also a good college rebounder and Chriss is garbage.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for the replies gang

Sir_Charles posted:

Thon Maker or Zhou Qi maybe?

I'd be down with either of them if they go down that far. At #37 I'd rather have someone I can pretend is going to be really good than another semi-competent role player. Then I can get mad at D'Antoni for not playing the 7 foot tall, 180 pound guy who hasn't even played NCAA-level competition

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 22, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I thought Thon was a potential first rounder.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Someone tell me why Taurean Prince isn't a lock to be drafted in the lottery as a high-floor easy-to-project role player

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

xbilkis posted:

Someone tell me why Taurean Prince isn't a lock to be drafted in the lottery as a high-floor easy-to-project role player

There seems to be a lot of those in the second half of the first round

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

I thought Thon was a potential first rounder.

His range seems to vary wildly from team to team but it only takes one and he worked out well so probably

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am watching the ESPN Mock Draft special and maybe I missed them do the draft in the first half hour but they seem to just be talking about the players and not drafting in between saying "drafting is hard. You really just get lucky or you don't." One of the guys on the panel is a former Suns exec.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

xbilkis posted:

High floor easy to project role players are the bustiest of busts. Up there with college juniors

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

He's not that big, not that athletic, not that great of a shooter, can't create for himself, he looks solid but I can see why he's not in the lottery

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

He's in the lottery in my big board but he helps a good team much more than he helps a bad team if that makes sense.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

xbilkis posted:

Because high-floor easy-to-project role players are like the least valuable draft picks. If you're going to buy a lottery ticket, are you going to buy one where you have a good chance to win the grand prize of a dependable lawnmower or are you going to buy a powerball ticket where your chances are much smaller?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I haven't read this thread but I know Malachi Richardson is terrible. I just wanted to put this on the record so I look like smart in 3 years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

dokmo posted:

I haven't read this thread but I know Malachi Richardson is terrible. I just wanted to put this on the record so I look like smart in 3 years.

Clearly a smokescreen, you're just trying to throw GMs reading this thread off the scent

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

If there are any GMs reading this, hit me up with a PM, for a modest consultation fee I'll tell you who else is terrible in the draft.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

he is

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the terrible players™:

Marquese Chriss
Henry Ellenson
Malachi Richardson
Dejounte Murray
Furkan Kormaz
Tyler Ulis

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I wish there was a site where you could submit your own player comps for the NBA draft and vote on other people's.

You should also be able to add qualifiers like "poor man's", "rich man's", "short", "skinny", "white"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I wish there was a site where you could submit your own player comps for the NBA draft and vote on other people's.

You should also be able to add qualifiers like "poor man's", "rich man's", "short", "skinny", "white"
this is a genius idea

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I think I found a new side-hobby that I will never get around to!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

straight up brolic posted:

the terrible players™:

Marquese Chriss
Henry Ellenson
Malachi Richardson
Dejounte Murray
Furkan Kormaz
Tyler Ulis

I would replace Kormaz with Maker.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Thon Maker is my pick for the "bismack Biyombo memorial award" aka "the guy who is really bad when initially drafted but will randomly be kind of ok after 4 years" award

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

A tired man's Taurean Green

A calm sea's Lazar Hayward

A nestled kitten's Terrico White

A mountain man's Jajuan Johnson

A cable car's Andrew Goudelock

The enormously fat Jordan

The blind in one eye and maimed in the left hand Gary Payton

Hairy, ugly, and twisted from evil sorcery Dennis Scott

A pound puppy esque Bradley Beal

A jalopy driver's Malik Hairston

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A soupçon of Jemery Lamb

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A more milquetoast Nik Stauskas

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Half the African Luol Deng

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jonathan Givony was talking about how NBA teams have Smarten Upped aabout 1 on 0 workouts. They hire 35 year old retired players to really challenge prospects, as sort of a sneak attack, and it's damaged the stock of several guys.

But player comps are my job and my passion:

Imminent Volcano Sacrifice Vitor Faverani

Rock Salt Hoarder's Nick Calathes

A cheery plump man's Toney Douglas

An East German Architect's Austin Daye

A more kind and less muscular Blake Griffin

Like a short, well groomed Anthony Davis

A cooper's Andrew Nicholson

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
A facsimile of Antawn Jamison

A passive aggressive Ricky Rubio

Thon Maker - the black poor man's Ryan Anderson with length

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jonathan Givony was talking about how NBA teams have Smarten Upped aabout 1 on 0 workouts. They hire 35 year old retired players to really challenge prospects, as sort of a sneak attack, and it's damaged the stock of several guys.

Any examples?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ramona Shelburne confirming that the Lakers will be taking Ingram.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hand Row posted:

Any examples?

It was a long time ago but Monty Williams destroyed Ekpe Udoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkuWCAvQe9M

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Columnated ruins Mario Chalmers

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It was a long time ago but Monty Williams destroyed Ekpe Udoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkuWCAvQe9M

jessica james 4 years ago posted:

A 40 year old with a bad ticker manhandling udoh.This video is all the proof you need the warriors are a loser organization.Good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Via Chad Ford the Lakers intend to use the #2 pick on Brandon Ingram tomorrow night barring some last minute blockbuster trade offer. Sixers' beat writer Keith Pompey mentioned that the Sixers had called LA about #2 but they seem to only be willing to deal it for an all-star level vet.

Looks like the draft will pretty much be starting at #3 tomorrow.

• Locked thread