Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's been eclipsing for as long as I've been playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Eclipses are "fun" when you're exploring the ocean during the daylight and suddenly everything gets dark as hell. My usual response was "wait, is it getting nighttime already, leaving me vulnerable? Is something else happening that's going to threaten me? Is it space reaper leviathans?!

Fortunately, I now have a cyclops so I can rub right up against reapers without worry :D

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Kind of neat. Subnautica has partnered with GiveMeTap to make water bottles. 20% of each bottle goes to installing water pumps in various African countries.

http://www.givemetap.com/products/subnautica

Of course some pissbaby always has to try and rain on someones parade. Here's the second comment on the UW website.

quote:

Subnautica I hate to break it to you but you are another victim of one of the many "Help the Africans" causes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I would really love to see Subnautica become THE killer VR app because it's a lot of fun just with a mouse and keyboard and it's so much more fleshed out than the mostly glorified tech demos that are available now for VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Efexeye posted:

I would really love to see Subnautica become THE killer VR app because it's a lot of fun just with a mouse and keyboard and it's so much more fleshed out than the mostly glorified tech demos that are available now for VR.

It would be if it didn't have so many dang bugs and issues :smith:

I wanna VR subnautica so bad but its been severely broken for me ever since an update like a month or two ago.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bugs and issues with what, the VR part? I put 40 hours in with M+KB and I don't think I saw a single glitch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Efexeye posted:

Bugs and issues with what, the VR part? I put 40 hours in with M+KB and I don't think I saw a single glitch

Yes the VR part. Its horribly broken, you can't ever use the main menu or the game is permanently broken until you reload it, so you can't even save.

Its sad too because other than that and performance hiccups it does work well in VR, and before an update awhile ago I didn't have that issue and could actually play the game pretty well.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?appid=264710

:raise:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I was having a bunch of fun with this game a few months ago but the vr patch broke the Seamoth so it lags horribly when turning and I haven't played it since then. Still waiting for them to put a fix out...

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I keep playing this game on hardcore, dying, and then being too slow to savescum before my progress gets wiped. Reminds me of Sunless Sea

I guess I'm saying game is good and I am a sadistic person

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 16, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dylguy90 posted:

I keep playing this game on hardcore, dying, and then being too slow to savescum before my progress gets wiped. Reminds me of Sunless Sea

I guess I'm saying game is good and I am a sadistic person

I like the idea of perma-death hardcore, but I wish they'd allow the oxygen warnings to be an independent option rather than disabling them entirely. It just seems like an unnecessarily brutal omission that would lead to many, many frustrating deaths for the sake of "realism" in a game that involves creating computers from coral with matter fabricators.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I seem to have a thing for getting eaten by worms. The first time I went to explore the abandoned base, got savaged by the giant worm thing repeatedly on exit, and drowned. The second time I was exploring a cave with those weird worm plant things that can hit you from really far away. I left my little subber and immediately started taking mega damage from every direction, died before I could get back in. And the game closed like instantly. Gotta say, it was pretty hardcore

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Neat game but it seriously needs auto save. Saving when you enter an airlock would be nice.

Does anyone know how long the uranium fuel rods last in the reactor?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Three-Phase posted:

Neat game but it seriously needs auto save. Saving when you enter an airlock would be nice.

Does anyone know how long the uranium fuel rods last in the reactor?

A full load of fuel will produce 1000 energy according to the wiki. I don't know it distributes that usage across the four fuel rods though. I'm assuming it burns them one at a time though because I've never had my nuke go completely empty, just needs a new rod every now and then. But basically if a nuke is your only power source and it has a full load, it will last until you use (and thus it replenishes) 1000 power. If it really does burn rods one at a time then it needs one every 250 power produced.

I wish I know what order energy is used in. Like in my main base I've got solar, bio, and nuke built in that order. I'm hoping my base depletes solar, then bio, then nuke, as each power source contributes a portion of your base's capacity. But I don't know. I wish you could see how much power is left in each unit of fuel (bio or nuke) or even better, could manually set priorities when it comes to power usage.

E: lol dude it's like anything nuclear brings us like moths to the flame

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 20, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Honky Dong Country posted:

I wish I know what order energy is used in. Like in my main base I've got solar, bio, and nuke built in that order. I'm hoping my base depletes solar, then bio, then nuke, as each power source contributes a portion of your base's capacity. But I don't know. I wish you could see how much power is left in each unit of fuel (bio or nuke) or even better, could manually set priorities when it comes to power usage.

I've never actually built a nuke, but from my experience solar is used before bio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Cyclops used power cells one at a time the last time I played. It also would run through all the power cells before drawing from solar which was annoying. Does anyone know if they are done with updates where you have to completely start over when a new one comes out? I'd like to play again and try new stuff but I got tired of having to create a new save after every update.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Last time I ran the game, all my saves were gone completely, not just broken :v:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Truga posted:

Last time I ran the game, all my saves were gone completely, not just broken :v:

To be honest for me that would be sort of a blessing/curse at the same time. :shrug:

This may very well be :spergin: overkill, but if they ever get to a point where there are mods for the game, I would love an intelligent warning system for oxygen. Something that would take where you start from (surface, or underwater from a base or a vehicle) and have a voice annunciator when it determines how much oxygen you have left based on your depth and distance from where you entered the water (surface, base, or submersible).

25-10% of minimum safe return distance/time: (Once every 10 seconds):
  • (BEEP) Oxygen. (Entered water from surface)
  • (BEEP) Oxygen. (Entered water from base or submersible)

Within 10-0% of minimum safe return distance/time (once every 5 seconds):
  • (BEEP BEEP) Oxygen low. Surface. (Entered water from surface)
  • (BEEP BEEP) Oxygen low. Return. (Entered water from base or submersible)

At or past minimum safe return distance/time: (will be at zero oxygen level before reaching vessel, base, or surface, will start to black out, continuous voice):
  • (BEEP BEEP BEEP) GO UP! GO UP! (Entered water from surface)
  • (BEEP BEEP BEEP) RETURN NOW! RETURN NOW! (Entered water from base or submersible)

Plus there'd need to be a cave mode - the return times are halved to accommodate for getting stuck or taking a wrong turn if you're foolish enough to not use a dive reel.

What is kinda' scary with this game is how easy it is to become disoriented when you're in three-dimensional space in a cave with no easy reference for where things are. I can completely understand how so many IRL divers die in caves.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 20, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I had started bringing the retractable line with me into caves. The problem was when it would fall through the map and I'd end up with a line to nowhere.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I had started bringing the retractable line with me into caves. The problem was when it would fall through the map and I'd end up with a line to nowhere.

I always wondered about that tool but never got around to testing it. Does it help pull you out or is it just the proverbial bread crumb trail?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dying in a cave is no joke, that said, holy poo poo why isn't that sign a darksoul's meme already? Its loving perfect.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Well that's creepy as poo poo. Can't imagine what it'd be like to see one of those while diving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I always wondered about that tool but never got around to testing it. Does it help pull you out or is it just the proverbial bread crumb trail?

It doesn't pull you out as far as I remember, you can just follow it out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Xanderkish posted:

Well that's creepy as poo poo. Can't imagine what it'd be like to see one of those while diving.

It's sort of apothrical but I heard that on the SS Kamloops wreck on superior there is still a body in the engine room that sort of turned into a white soapy substance because of the cold and lack of oxygen. Some divers reported the body in odd places and moving on its own or "following" them in the engine room but that's likely because of the currents the divers produced combined with fairly neutral bouyancy. Still pretty :gonk:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently bodies turn into soap when they are super deep and there's nothing to eat them. There was a kid who died in a super deep cave in South Africa. A guy went down to get his body (and died in the process) but they both eventually floated back up. The kid's body had turned into soap.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have to admit this game is pretty awesome but I think with an Oculous Rift it might be a little too much for me.

That was neat when I finally got around to checking out the wrecked spaceship. "Hey the bow and starboard look fairly OK! Let's go to port and... Oh my."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Three-Phase posted:

I have to admit this game is pretty awesome but I think with an Oculous Rift it might be a little too much for me.

That was neat when I finally got around to checking out the wrecked spaceship. "Hey the bow and starboard look fairly OK! Let's go to port and... Oh my."

This was my first experience with the creature I've dubbed 'The Motherfucker', too. I know it's called a Reaper. I don't care, it'll always be the Motherfucker to me. I'm chatting with a buddy on my headset as I check out the port side of the Aurora, and I'm like 'My screen's shaking, wonder if the wreck is settling? Plus I hear something really loud and JESUS CHRIST!"

It was two of them.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I had a feeling something like that was in the game but it still terrified me the first time I saw it in the distance.

Also relevant:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWNP4Nb9WfM
"Heeeeeey whatcha doing?" :downs:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
DON'T CARE BUTTON, please add this image to the OP. Thanks in advance.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Three-Phase posted:

Quoting so that you can't remove this ever.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Three-Phase posted:

Quoting this so nobody can remove my double quote ever

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
On a serious note I have been reading about diving in "overhead environments", basically anywhere where you cannot just swim up to get to the surface. One major killer are silt-outs. A diver kicks up a ton of fine silt even in the entrance area of a cave, cannot see their hand in front of their face, get disoriented (including swimming into a cave instead out of), panic, and run out of air.

If Subnautica added silt-outs that would add a whole new level of danger.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Three-Phase posted:

On a serious note I have been reading about diving in "overhead environments", basically anywhere where you cannot just swim up to get to the surface. One major killer are silt-outs. A diver kicks up a ton of fine silt even in the entrance area of a cave, cannot see their hand in front of their face, get disoriented (including swimming into a cave instead out of), panic, and run out of air.

If Subnautica added silt-outs that would add a whole new level of danger.

You godamn monster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

You godamn monster.

What if we are allowed to develop silt bombs to throw them down and run like a frightened baby Ninja from Reapers?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

What if we are allowed to develop silt bombs to throw them down and run like a frightened baby Ninja from Reapers?

I already accomplish this by making GBS threads my pants as I flee.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

You godamn monster.

I'd be fine with it if only the dive reels worked properly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Anyways, this is one of those things I grabbed because it looks sweet and I like it's intentions but I never got around to doing anything with it yet.

Is there currently a way to reach a point where you are basically sustainable? If not for running all your cool toys, then at the very least for setting up a place to live where everything you need to keep it and yourself going is self contained?

When I'm not busy being just plain terrible at it (Hello, Space Engineers), my occasional stabs at these kinds of games I tend to do better if know I can at least set up a minimal shop for all my NEEDS, so I can focus more on doing cool things for the sake of it after.

Though I expect I'd probably skip the hunger and thirst in the end, it would be cool it that was self sustainable also along with "Keep this hole running itself with power and air"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's in fact quite easy to get self-sufficient. You can make huge indoor aquariums in bases and put 2+ of the same fish in it and they'll start reproducing fairly quickly, giving you an infinite source of food.

Then you also build a water filtering thing, giving you infinite water for drinking, and salt, which you can use to cure food so it doesn't spoil on longer trips.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Truga posted:

It's in fact quite easy to get self-sufficient. You can make huge indoor aquariums in bases and put 2+ of the same fish in it and they'll start reproducing fairly quickly, giving you an infinite source of food.

Then you also build a water filtering thing, giving you infinite water for drinking, and salt, which you can use to cure food so it doesn't spoil on longer trips.

Cool, ill give this a shot between the dozen other assorted distractions soon then. Though I'll definitely be saving eating and drinking mode for AFTER I have the slightest clue what the gently caress anything is or what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Hell, once you get access to planters you can replace your entire fish and water operation with a couple of fruit trees, and also farm more than you'll ever need of every resource plant except coral. Metals are still a finite resource, but they're quite plentiful and with the battery recharger update in, you're not continuously burning them anymore. Also, base parts can be deconstructed at a 1:1 parts return, so anything you turn into goods is basically in permanent circulation.

Seamoth torpedoes are pretty much the only permanent expenditure of metal now, but they're highly optional, and deep-water drilling of ore veins is coming soon-ish with the exosuit.

It's good.

E:

Section Z posted:

Though I'll definitely be saving eating and drinking mode for AFTER I have the slightest clue what the gently caress anything is or what I'm doing.

Understandable, but not really necessary: fish eventually respawn now, and you can get by just fine as a hunter-gatherer in the safe shallows while you figure things out. Grab Peepers for food and Airsacks for water, that's all you really need to know. Cure some with salt deposits you find lying around if you're paranoid about running out, and don't worry about using up natural salt- you'll be rolling in it once you get a water purifier going.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 22, 2016