Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I hope that if Link ever hunts and eats cuccos in Breath of the Wild then after beating the final boss you automatically get a bad ending as swarms of cuccos peck Link to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1466474451956.webm

Enemies display emergent weapon gathering skills.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nobody knows. It appeared as part of a giant 30 minute long backdrop on the Japanese website for the game.

It's actually the baby penguin you kick off the side of the mountain in Super Mario 64

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been thinking about it, and well, this might be the greatest game of all time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the original LoZ game had the best NPC reactions to getting attacked.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It's actually the baby penguin you kick off the side of the mountain in Super Mario 64

It's George Ice Cube from Banjo-Tooie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

A closer look at the thing on Death Mountain

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Looks spooky as hell.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is that the giant Stalfos from the trailer?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That looks like a sort of Guardian, huh

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

Is that just Queen Gohma, after putting on a little weight?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

cthulhu fhtagn

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I love how this is pretty much exactly what we saw in the earlier cinematic trailer for Zelda. Everybody makes trailers that are full of BS that don't end up in-game, but they're actually delivering with this game.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I really wish Zelda would include a difficulty slider, since playing them from the original I feel like they can't keep pace anymore. Last few have been super easy and simple in terms of combat.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Pooperscooper posted:

I really wish Zelda would include a difficulty slider, since playing them from the original I feel like they can't keep pace anymore. Last few have been super easy and simple in terms of combat.

I agree, but even if they don't then the demo definitely implies they are ditching the old model of "just about everything does .5 - 1 heart of damage". Guardians do like 7 hearts from the get-go or something crazy like that, as did that stone golem thing

That's my ideal difficulty "curve" in a zelda - I can live with the trash giving me partial hearts worth of damage if the big, scary attacks actually feel big and scary

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how this is pretty much exactly what we saw in the earlier cinematic trailer for Zelda. Everybody makes trailers that are full of BS that don't end up in-game, but they're actually delivering with this game.

Even better is that the gameplay is actually more complex and involved. Trailer Link just leaps off the horse and draws an arrow, while the gameplay involves a fire providing updraft.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

SirPenguin posted:

I agree, but even if they don't then the demo definitely implies they are ditching the old model of "just about everything does .5 - 1 heart of damage". Guardians do like 7 hearts from the get-go or something crazy like that, as did that stone golem thing

That's my ideal difficulty "curve" in a zelda - I can live with the trash giving me partial hearts worth of damage if the big, scary attacks actually feel big and scary

I sort of agree with this, but also, it's kind of lame that every bokoblin attack is exactly as powerful as a bee sting. Heck, the bees look like they might be harder to shake off!

So far the enemies in the demo have been cleanly split between "does a tiny amount of damage" and "kills you in one hit". That's pretty lousy difficulty mechanics, so I hope that the rest of the game is more even.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pooperscooper posted:

Well, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD versions have been pretty good at giving you the option of Hero Mode at the start of the game which removes hearts dropping from grass and the like and you take double damage. A Hero Mode for Breath of the Wild which plays up the survival aspects could be very interesting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD versions have been pretty good at giving you the option of Hero Mode at the start of the game which removes hearts dropping from grass and the like and you take double damage. A Hero Mode for Breath of the Wild which plays up the survival aspects could be very interesting.

It's almost certain the Zelda theme amiibos will offer some features to the game, maybe other types given how this seems to be a major console title (ex. Zero Suit Samus gives Link a blue bodysuit that resists both heat and cold). Ganondorf is probably going to do the 2x damage mode that can't be turned off, but given how that stone golem did 7 hearts of damage maybe it will be tiered in some way.

The inclusion of foods, armor, breakable weapons/shields etc. means that spawning items 1x per day will have actual use for the purpose of amiibos (like Hyrule Legends) so expect not only the classic amiibos to work but a pricey new line of BotW characters to be launched.

edit: On that note, why are amiibos so loving expensive? $9 for Ganondorf but nearly $40 for Sheik? Is it a restricted supply thing or are the more expensive ones just that useful?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 21, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Calling it now, Link's an android.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Calling it now, Link's an android.

i cant believe the ending leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzO2mi4uHAs

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

edit: On that note, why are amiibos so loving expensive? $9 for Ganondorf but nearly $40 for Sheik? Is it a restricted supply thing or are the more expensive ones just that useful?

With a couple exceptions, every amiibo figurine had an MSRP of $12.99. Trouble is, some figures had see production runs than others, or were just more desirable than others, and his sold out fast and are only available on the secondary market like eBay or Amazon Marketplace.

Pro tip though, amiibo are 100% region-agnostic. Find a Japanese import and you'll save a handful of dollars on pretty much any amiibo. There shouldn't be too many that you'll have to spend above $15 or so on, and a lot can be had a lot cheaper than that these days.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Here's a clearer picture of it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rime posted:

Enemies display emergent weapon gathering skills.

One of the endless streams from the floor showed the bokoblins hunting a boar and one of them eating the meat that fell from it after Link hurt him. And it did give him back health.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E&t=285s

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
if you're ever feeling sad, just imagine the links from four swords or triforce heroes standing on top of each other and wearing a really long trenchcoat to try and sneak into an r-rated movie

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

One of the endless streams from the floor showed the bokoblins hunting a boar and one of them eating the meat that fell from it after Link hurt him. And it did give him back health.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E&t=285s

That owns a whole lot. I always like it when enemy NPCs in games show signs of life beyond standing around waiting to be killed or just chasing the player, even if it's just little scripted interactions like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hedrigall posted:

I see Midna riding on the back of Biggoron. :tinfoil:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure that's Howl's Moving Castle.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Or just a friendly Boxbot.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Mountain creature looks like some kind of leggy squareman, floating island thing shaped like a jumbo jet... I wonder if these are more examples of left behind Sheika technology.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

feedmyleg posted:

Pretty sure that's Howl's Moving Castle.

The Guardians have kind of a Ghibli vibe in general.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

The Guardians have kind of a Ghibli vibe in general.

They look H.G. Wellsian to me

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was going to say "Vernes? More like H.G. Wells to me", but then you had to go and correct yourself. It's kind of like War of the Worlds tripods filtered through Ghibli.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Finally, canon answers for where does Link come from, and what does Link want.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Terrible.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, Link is probably a clone or something here. I mean there's been talk from the devs about discovering the origins of this Link and you wake up in a 'Resurrection chamber' that has a funky big machine in it that drains blue fluid from around you. I think its less that Link was asleep for 100 years and more that they just made a new one.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, Link is probably a clone or something here. I mean there's been talk from the devs about discovering the origins of this Link and you wake up in a 'Resurrection chamber' that has a funky big machine in it that drains blue fluid from around you. I think its less that Link was asleep for 100 years and more that they just made a new one.

Could you imagine Ganon siccing an army of Link clones on you

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You were the Dark Link all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There can only be one Link... and one Ganondorf! BROOOTHEEEEEEER