Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it doesn't really count but Siren is probably the coolest horror series that's made use of first person

Well yeah, SIREN's also better than most survival horror games too. Just bought that PS4 rerelease, feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Isn't Siren technically a second person game with that sightjack mechanic? You can see yourself and the surroundings through the eyes of another but you aren't that other person and you're not some kind of ethereal witness following behind the protagonist either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Geight posted:

I feel like a lot of horror games lose their edge after the first time you die. Even if you're capable of suspending your disbelief and letting yourself actually feel fear, the illusion is fairly well shattered by loading your game after dying.

I think one of the reasons REmake is still so good is that even if you aren't scared by the monsters and atmosphere, the game mechanics still instill some anxiety into the player.

Yeah. I think that's the main problem with the walk around horror games. There isn't that survival gameplay aspect so the seams start to show really quick because you are just looking at stuff. They can add other elements to keep the game entertaining but they don't usually add to the horror.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Isn't Siren technically a second person game with that sightjack mechanic? You can see yourself and the surroundings through the eyes of another but you aren't that other person and you're not some kind of ethereal witness following behind the protagonist either.

Oh drat so X-Com The Bureau wasn't the first to use that concept?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh drat so X-Com The Bureau wasn't the first to use that concept?

I think Battletoads was the first actually. The first boss of that game has you throw boulders at the TV screen as you're seeing through the eyes of the boss. Could be earlier examples than that which I'm unaware of.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's funny, the first time I saw that was Teenage Mutant Turtles in Time, what a superior ripoff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Throwing enemies towards the screen was so cool back then :rip: Konami

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Capcom, please make a final fight style game with Chris, Leon, Barry, and Mike Haggar.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Three Cookies posted:

Capcom, please make a final fight style game with Chris, Leon, and Pierce

It's called RE6?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

No, Barry and Haggar must meet. I want a dad-em-up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mike Haggar needs to be in Street Fighter before that god drat it it's loving bullshit that every other Final Fighter got to be in but Haggar.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

But what if instead Capcom made my game where the Mad Gear gang got ahold of old Umbrella tech. And then you got to fight zombie Andore.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

If you play as Leon and fight Rolento, then Leon confuses him with Krauser.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You're describing a Project X Zone game.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Alright, maybe that's a wash. How about a group in Afghanistan is creating new bio weapons and a new strand of the T-virus that targets language.

It'll be great. You get the dog from RE4 to help you and you can attach balloons to send things back to your bsaa base.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

When you max your bond with the dog you can make it look like Amaterasu.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Also probably a Project X Zone game.

Just make RE4 again, but in reverse. Call it Resident Evil Revelations 3 and release it around the same time as REVII and it'll be fine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Mike Haggar needs to be in Street Fighter before that god drat it it's loving bullshit that every other Final Fighter got to be in but Haggar.

Mike Haggar was briefly in the American Street Fighter cartoon, as a mayor, but he sadly never ripped off his own shirt to beat punks senseless. Tragedy.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The first half of Leon's campaign is the best in the game, because it is literally the only part of the entire game where there is an actual atmosphere of tension. It does start slow, but I still consider it the best just for that.

I guess the stupid-rear end leech things on the boat as Chris and Piers had tension too, but it's over pretty quick, one-hit kills piss me off, and I've got bad memories of AI partners literally standing ten feet away and calmly watching the boss pin me down and slowly kill me.

Edit: Also, one of the auto-save points during that part spawns you in the room right next to the boss, with him already lunging at you. In combination with my previous point, this led to some frustration.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So Umbrella corps is out?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well as far as I can tell the game has vanished from the PSN but I looked at Live on PlayStation and some people are playing it now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So wait this game has a Kijuju map and it ISN'T public assembly?! This game looks ghetto as gently caress too.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Policenaut posted:

Well as far as I can tell the game has vanished from the PSN but I looked at Live on PlayStation and some people are playing it now.

Someone claimed you needed to pre-order to play it today, but I don't see early access being listed as one of the bonuses for pre-ordering off PS4. Isn't it also strange that it was taken down entirely? Sounded like it was up, then taken down, then put up briefly before being taken down yet again. Really weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any press I can find on it is really contradictory too. Lots of heresy and claiming it's great or total crap. The whole situation is very weird.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So it turns out the melee attack can aimed like a regular weapon, you can sprint while aiming it, may possibly have armor properties, and is a one-hit kill on virtually everything so every game I'm watching is just Hunk knock offs running around swinging axes at each other.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So it turns out the melee attack can aimed like a regular weapon, you can sprint while aiming it, may possibly have armor properties, and is a one-hit kill on virtually everything so every game I'm watching is just Hunk knock offs running around swinging axes at each other.

i thought i saw like melee attack counters or something in a vid which get you the instakill on 'em

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea you can counter melees.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Still not out on PC :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone buy it yet?

Edit: if it's even available anywhere.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 21, 2016

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

So

I played it.

I would like to say, as someone who loved RE6 and wanted more action spinoffs for the series

I refunded that poo poo immediately.

For whatever reason, the game has terrible mouse support. The animations aren't canned but they do not work in networked games. No-one knows how the counter mechanic works exactly but it heavily favors low ping players. The weapons feel like absolute garbage. When there is more than one thing onscreen the action becomes totally incomprehensible.
I really wanted the game they showed in those trailers. This isn't that game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's a shame because the trailers make it look cheesy but at least entertaining. And I've been looking for a new shootmans game.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oof, it's bad. Hard to get a game, mouse aiming is awful, and you level at a glacial pace. Shame I grabbed it off GMG so no refund here.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I played re4 for the first time recently and it was real good

What game do i continue my Resident evil journey with?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

RE4 and REmake are the best in the series, so go for that next. Also play as Jill first time through.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Co-op re5 > 4 > co-op 6 are the official friendhaver rankings.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Like, I am the exact person that Umbrella Corps was made for, the person that wanted Resident Evil games that proudly don't give a gently caress about where they are in the canon and are just weird amalgams of their other games' mechanics/settings/monsters with a multiplayer shootyman frame to bring it all together.

I paid $30+ to play the mercenaries versus games that were released on the iPhone as experiments to gauge interest in the dlc game modes that would eventually be totally ignored by the RE6 playerbase. I liked those! I did not regret those purchases!

Umbrella Corps is the development equivalent of a miscarriage.

Edit: To be clear, I am also the kind of person that is annoyed by games like Revelations and their plotlines having weird canon implications. It's the arcade-style games (and game modes) with devil-may-care attitudes about the rest of the series' tone that I get the most enjoyment out of, but I do have an interest in the ''''story'''' of RE as well.

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So yeah sounds like it's not worth the time or money to bother with umbrella corps. Good thing we've got re5 next week!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RoanHorse posted:

the person that wanted Resident Evil games that proudly don't give a gently caress about where they are in the canon
I found a podcast recently where the hosts care to an extreme degree about the Resident Evil canon.

I do not recommend this podcast.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Charlie Bobson posted:

RE4 three more times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Charlie Bobson posted:

RE2.