Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArtVandelay posted:

He's certainly going to have a lot of explaining to do for Grace :v:

He should just tell her the whole thing what's he got to lose at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ArtVandelay posted:

He's certainly going to have a lot of explaining to do for Grace :v:

Yeah, but the thing about Grace is that she'll be excited to hear it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

He should just tell her the whole thing what's he got to lose at this point.

"Do you remember that time an old bag of wrinkles kidnapped you? Well...."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"Oh God, you have her bad timing, too."

That was a damned good finale. Fusco and Bear survived so there's no need for a riot, and bonus Harold and Shaw!

Here's hoping Netflix picks up a totally unrelated show called "Thornhill."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So wait... we saw a couple shots of Greer in a hospital bed, I guess on life support or something... so is that old fucker not actually dead, or is he braindead, or what?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

FUSCO LIVES NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

PST posted:

And Bear is with Shaw
All I truly wanted

Completely satisfied with this ending. Sad to see the show end. This might be one of the first shows I've watched in years that I've been with since the beginning and will truly miss.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

So wait... we saw a couple shots of Greer in a hospital bed, I guess on life support or something... so is that old fucker not actually dead, or is he braindead, or what?

Probably the hook for s6 that they don't have to use.

:(

edit: or he was just a random old man

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

John Ta...

Was best part of the episode TBQH.

We know it is one of these

http://names.mongabay.com/surnames_T.htm

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Now that the series is over, I'm disappointed nobody kicked that dipshit little kid Samaritan was using as a speech puppet in the face at any point. Everything with that kid was loving dumb.

raditts posted:

Was that Greer? It looked like some random old dude.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 22, 2016

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

raditts posted:

Pretty sure that was the machine showing how she was there when everyone died, implying that he died, too.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The machine's default black background becoming a yawning abyss for Samaritan was a nice final UI touch:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

That wasn't Greer.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

That wasn't Greer that was just one of the many people the Machine watched die.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that was the impression I got.

edit:

Are you sure it was not Greer?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that was the impression I got.

edit:

99% sure. John Nolan's name would've been in the credits; the other 1% accounts for the possibility of me not seeing it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PST posted:

Want that music, I can see why they dropped Heroes for that, so, so good.

If you mean the piano music, that was Philip Glass' "Metamorphosis 5", also used in Battlestar Galactica. (I think it was the piano piece Starbuck's father played?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS13iCHP7Gs

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was supposed to be Harold's father.

Also brilliant episode, one of the best of the series, drat CBS to hell for cutting it short.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:unsmith:

Really glad it stuck the landing, despite the rushed season. I can only imagine that Blackwell would have played out better had there been a full arc to build him up to villain status than the few leaps in this one.

Here's the piano music that was playing this episode. Great stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioylrW8jhU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

None of the people the machine was looking at were significant or related to the main characters. They were all just random deaths she witnessed at some point that helped her understand death.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's far more common for shows to end badly than to stick the landing, but this was easily one of my favorite episodes of the entire run. Even as someone who feels like it was definitely time for the show to end, the conclusion of the show's arc was really satisfying. I'm usually someone who finds things to criticize even about my favorite shows, which this really wasn't anymore, but I think the end was good enough that I really don't have any complaints for once. Just on a sentimental level, John sacrificing himself for Finch, who had more to live for with his unresolved relationship with Grace, was definitely the appropriate choice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress you though Finch, you should have died along with John. You don't deserve your happy ending. Show just glossing over all the damage you did with your ice9 virus.

If Finch deserved punishment for anything, it was for not preventing the rise of Samaritan in the first place by taking out a crucial policymaker. It is kind of ironic that he ultimately won by engaging in some lesser evil activity that would lead to direct harm for many people around the world, in the name of the greater good, given that Samaritan claimed to be doing exactly that same thing. Still, the fact is that the Machine is obviously a safer bet for humanity given its capacity for caring. Samaritan was put in charge without any moral guidance, so it could just as easily have decided to snuff out humanity someday as save it (though I still think we're meant to believe it was sincere about its desire to preserve humanity in the present).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

John Ta...

Was best part of the episode TBQH.

We know it is one of these

http://names.mongabay.com/surnames_T.htm

Obviously it's Tattler.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

None of the people the machine was looking at were significant or related to the main characters. They were all just random deaths she witnessed at some point that helped her understand death.

Except that the man that died in the memory was Reese's father. It even names the actress in the credits as "Amy Tribbey - Reese's mother"

edit: and the kid is "Jack Davis - Little Reese"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm like 99% sure the kid at the funeral was Reese though and that the dead dude was his dad.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/axl99/status/745450653934198788

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So I heard CBS wasn't happy with the ending, maybe because "where's da number? there's supposed to be a number! :byodood:" gently caress you CBS.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

HookShot posted:

Obviously it's Tattler.
I imagine it would likely be something like "Talbot" if we're being honest. But I don't know if there's any greater literary or other contribution, if it even matters for someone like John, vs. what we see for Finch or even some of Root's aliases.

Sinteres posted:

If Finch deserved punishment for anything, it was for not preventing the rise of Samaritan in the first place by taking out a crucial policymaker. It is kind of ironic that he ultimately won by engaging in some lesser evil activity that would lead to direct harm for many people around the world, in the name of the greater good, given that Samaritan claimed to be doing exactly that same thing. Still, the fact is that the Machine is obviously a safer bet for humanity given its capacity for caring. Samaritan was put in charge without any moral guidance, so it could just as easily have decided to snuff out humanity someday as save it (though I still think we're meant to believe it was sincere about its desire to preserve humanity in the present).
I'm sure Samaritan is in some way sympathetic to humanity, just not to individuals. It is definitely willing to throw out some bad people and optimise humanity for its betterment. I would assume killing off most of humanity wouldn't even really enter into any calculations because on the by and by, a significant like 95% of humanity is just the same. You just have to trim off the edges of the bellcurve.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Reese ;(
Hell of a show.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

monster on a stick posted:

So I heard CBS wasn't happy with the ending, maybe because "where's da number? there's supposed to be a number! :byodood:" gently caress you CBS.

What are they gonna do, cancel the show?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

HookShot posted:

Obviously it's Tattler.

As per S1, it ends with an s, that should narrow it down.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sober posted:

I imagine it would likely be something like "Talbot" if we're being honest. But I don't know if there's any greater literary or other contribution, if it even matters for someone like John, vs. what we see for Finch or even some of Root's aliases.

It's John Tanager.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

RIP John Tables, 19XX-2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
For those seeking the non-piano piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXvjmlfBmSs
(From a very POI-relevant film, too.)

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing I was kind of hoping to happen-- if Samaritan had a backup copy then obviously it had a place it intended to upload it to after the storm had passed. I was expecting a bunch of Samaritan agents standing around, watching a screen with baited breath, waiting for their god to return, only to be greeted by the Machine UI and a hearty :goleft: LOL, YOU THOUGHT. HERE'S SOME IRRELEVANT NUMBERS, LOSERS, GO MAKE YOURSELVES USEFUL.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:unsmith:aw I really really liked that a lot

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Zaggitz posted:

As per S1, it ends with an s, that should narrow it down.

TABARES
TABICAS
TABIOS
TABLES
TACKES
TAGS
TAKACS
TAKES
TALAMANTES
TALAMAS
TALAS
TALLAS
TALLIS
TAMAS
TAMES
TAMS
TAMULIS
TANDUS
TANIOUS
TANIS
TANKS
TANNOUS
TANOUS
TAPALES
TAPANES
TAPHOUS
TAPPIS
TAPS
TARAS
TARRANTS
TARRAS
TARRATS
TARRENIS
TARRIS
TARSHIS
TARSIS
TARVIS
TATARIS
TATES
TATIS
TATTERS
TAUARES
TAURAS
TAUS
TAVARES
TAVARIS
TAVERAS
TAVES
TAVIS
TAYDUS
TAYS

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
John Tandy, heir to the leather empire.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sinteres posted:

If Finch deserved punishment for anything, it was for not preventing the rise of Samaritan in the first place by taking out a crucial policymaker.
This has been bothering me for a while, but I don't think the Machine was telling Harold to kill the congressman in that episode. The congressman was both Relevant and Irrelevant. His actions would lead to catastrophe making him Relevant. But he was both unaware of the results of his actions and targeted for murder by Decima agents, making him Irrelevant. The Machine was faced with a moral quandary and placed Harold there so that Admin would solve it.

Also, it's clearly an "L"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Slamhound posted:

This has been bothering me for a while, but I don't think the Machine was telling Harold to kill the congressman in that episode. The congressman was both Relevant and Irrelevant. His actions would lead to catastrophe making him Relevant. But he was both unaware of the results of his actions and targeted for murder by Decima agents, making him Irrelevant. The Machine was faced with a moral quandary and placed Harold there so that Admin would solve it.

Also, it's clearly an "L"

TALAMANTES
TALAMAS
TALAS
TALLAS
TALLIS

I''d say due to the spacing, it's gotta be John Talas.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Slamhound posted:

Decima were there to guard him, after all this was the man who was going to secure Samaritan got the gov't feeds. He was never in any danger. The machine spit out his number as the potential cause of a lot of deaths, the only solution to which was killing him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

pik_d posted:

TALAMANTES
TALAMAS
TALAS
TALLAS
TALLIS

I''d say due to the spacing, it's gotta be John Talas.

Hrmmmm

http://www.name-doctor.com/name-talas-meaning-of-talas-26466.html

quote:

This name derives from the Greek “talôs (τάλως)”, meaning “talon, claw”. Talōs was a giant man of bronze who protected Europa in Crete from pirates and invaders by circling the island's shores three times daily while guarding it. In the Cretan dialect, Talôs was the equivalent of the Greek Hêlios, the Sun: the lexicon of Hesychius of Alexandria notes simply "Talos is the Sun". In Crete, Zeus was worshipped as Zeus Tallaios, "Solar Zeus", absorbing the earlier god as an epithet in the familiar sequence.

Seems like it kind of makes sense for this to be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Some of the post-series interviews with Nolan and Plageman are coming out:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/22/person-of-interest-creators-discuss-the-final-episode-and-who-lived-and-who-died
http://deadline.com/2016/06/person-of-interest-series-finale-post-mortem-reese-dies-follow-up-spinoffs-pilot-opening-jonah-nolan-1201776284/
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/91711/the-person-of-interest-bosses-on-the-series-finales-goodbyes-and-new-beginnings/

quote:

…when we meet Reese in the pilot—one of the scenes we couldn't shoot because the state of New York wouldn't let us—the initial pilot had Reese standing on the Manhattan bridge, about the toss himself into the drink.

:argh:

• Locked thread