Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When is the summer sale again?

Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 @ 1000 -8GMT with a latitude of 47° 36' 49.96" N and a longitude of -122° 11' 41.54" W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I hope that every game in the summer sale is an anime adult visual novel where all of the characters look prepubescent but are either "18" or "technically 800 years old"

Just to spite the thread

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
So I'm an hour or so into VA-11 HALL-A right now, and there are some parts I'm a fan of, and others I'm not so into.

Things I like:
- The idea of having the protagonist as this kind of passive observer of the clients' stories, and not at the center of the action all the time, is really intriguing, and it's probably the best thing the game has going for it.
- The soundtrack is lovely
- The aesthetic fits the cyberpunk theme really well
- I'm a big fan of the kind of "incidental gameplay" the bartending provides. It's not a deep challenge or anything, but it gives you something nice to do during conversation beats, and the feeling of knowing exactly what drink a regular wants when they come in really strengthened my connection with the characters

Things I don't like:
- I'd be lying if I said the writing wasn't a weak point here. It's passable, and I've generally found the plot and characters interesting enough to forge on, but ever as far as 4chan VNs go, Katawa Shoujo's prose was much more palatable.
- I'm not too far in, so I don't know the full extent of it, but there have been some pretty egregious, poorly-veiled criticisms of "outrage culture" or w/e so far, and it's kind of hard for me to move past those. A character where I'm at talks about a group that's literally called the SoCal Justice Warriors, not to mention another prominent faction called the "White Knights." The developers don't seem too familiar with the concept of subtlety.

Overall, I think it's a really solid premise that's being dragged down by a constant need to invoke the "ess jay double-u" strawman, but I'll see if the later game can clear up any of those concerns.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well beat Doom. I know it's been said a million times in this thread but drat it was good. I was a little sick of it by the end I actually felt a little sinking feeling everytime I saw a big room filled with powerups and multi levels and that's all the last two stages are pretty much. I guess it's good that it's pretty short if there was just a couple more levels I probably just would have quit after awhile. Still would have had fun just exhausting.

I was slightly on the fence about getting it. I usually like my shooters a little slower paced. I was far more into Half Life then Doom but this game is such a streamlined experience that it won me over right away. I don't need to reload or think just give me a gun and a chainsaw and set me loose. So what I think I'm saying is don't be put off if you generally aren't a fan of fast paced shooters. This one takes all the good from that type of game and cranks it up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

HighwireAct posted:

- I'm not too far in, so I don't know the full extent of it, but there have been some pretty egregious, poorly-veiled criticisms of "outrage culture" or w/e so far, and it's kind of hard for me to move past those. A character where I'm at talks about a group that's literally called the SoCal Justice Warriors, not to mention another prominent faction called the "White Knights." The developers don't seem too familiar with the concept of subtlety.
Are you sure they just don't like Australian candy?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

While I would like some ridiculous discounts so long as it's not total garbage I am going to spend a lot of money on this sale, as its the first time in roughly ten years I've had a machine that can run all the modern games. The problem is finding a bunch of cool stuff i may have missed, since for a long time i just sort of ignored PC gaming since i couldn't run poo poo.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's the name of the curator that also posts in here about (retro) platformers? Psycho teddy bear guy?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

HighwireAct posted:

Things I don't like:
- I'd be lying if I said the writing wasn't a weak point here. It's passable, and I've generally found the plot and characters interesting enough to forge on, but ever as far as 4chan VNs go, Katawa Shoujo's prose was much more palatable.

Hopefully you're not talking about Aura or A22's (Rin/Shizune) routes. Half the time I spent beta-ing that goddamn VN was trying to shift that crap into something halfway readable.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Experimental thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780789 Come post m'lord

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Just finished chapter 1 of VA-11 Hall-A and loving it so far. It could do without the ties to Read Only Memories. Otherwise, I'm loving the writing and it's really chill. Figure I'm gonna have to make a concentrated effort to save in-game money to pay bills, but that's all good. Shooting the poo poo with ridiculous characters is a blast. I hope it stays this good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Is" Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3" any good if you're mainly interested in the single player stuff? I don't really play many shooters and I'm having the urge to engage in some brainless, shooty violence.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Gerblyn posted:

Is" Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3" any good if you're mainly interested in the single player stuff? I don't really play many shooters and I'm having the urge to engage in some brainless, shooty violence.
Doom?

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Gerblyn posted:

No. Couldn't wait for it to finish due to crap story, drags on for far too long etc. Wouldn't matter if you could ignore it, but it's shoved in your face with countless cutscenes and areas where you are forced to walk slow because you are listening to someone in your earpiece. Doom is much better for brainless shooty violence.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nathyrra posted:

No. Couldn't wait for it to finish due to crap story, drags on for far too long etc. Wouldn't matter if you could ignore it, but it's shoved in your face with countless cutscenes and areas where you are forced to walk slow because you are listening to someone in your earpiece. Doom is much better for brainless shooty violence.

I don't mind a bit of story, but that does sound annoying. I guess I'll see how low the price goes during the sale before deciding!

Doom is definitely on the list, too.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

dmboogie posted:

VA-11 HALL-A is good, and it contains the most accurate deception of drinking beer and talking about old children's cartoons with a friend in media probably

What is VA-11 HALL-A game-play exactly? Is it basically a a novel broken up over multiple conversations with different characters where you clicks a couple of things to make them drinks? Like are there fail states?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, this sale is going to be like last one in the sense that the prices we get on the first day are the prices we'll get througout the sale, correct? Dailies and flash sales went the way of the dodo with the refunds if I recall correctly.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Payday 2 is a solid game: https://gfycat.com/FoolishLankyHornet

Edit: lets not break the forums with a giant gif of doom.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, this sale is going to be like last one in the sense that the prices we get on the first day are the prices we'll get througout the sale, correct? Dailies and flash sales went the way of the dodo with the refunds if I recall correctly.

Probably but nobody can know for certain.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Show the tits 'cause we all know it's gonna have them.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Edmond Dantes posted:

I hope it won't be a repeat of the Exploration Sale, since having those dailies always makes things a little bit more exciting.

Instead, Valve went: "lol you want game we have game but we not tell you what game, look for game yourself"

I'm hating on the discovery system, again.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 22, 2016

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
IIRC there were a few publishers that cycled their titles being on sale during the last Steam Sale.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Unless I am totally remembering wrong the prices were fixed for the duration of the sale just different ones were highlighted on different days.

vvv huh ok. I've been wrong on the internet alot lately. Need to stop posting.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 22, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC it was Ubisoft who held back sales until their day on the front page.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

extra stout posted:

While I appreciate this post and will come back to it, absolutely none of it made sense as I meant explain to me which block is my hero, how do I make more heroes, where is the gold mine? How do I mine it? That kind of stuff. I can play about 10 seconds before hitting a wall of confusion.
Neither block is a hero, you don't start with one. Your Wizard lives inside the tower in your starting town and doesn't leave it. Gold is mostly generated through taxing your population.

You start with two units of soldiers you can use to explore the area while you build buildigns in your town and research things.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Haha, I was kind of expecting someone to make a pithy comment now that Mighty No. 9 is out but nobody's saying anything here. Did nobody buy/play it?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Thompsons posted:

Haha, I was kind of expecting someone to make a pithy comment now that Mighty No. 9 is out but nobody's saying anything here. Did nobody buy/play it?

Its being talked about in the kickstarter/Let's talk about Mega Man threads. Its disappointing to say the least. Like there is a decent game in their but there are a ton of design decisions that are just not fun, the art style is extremely bland (since it had to run on everything from a 3ds to PC), and there are a ton small touches that make it seem like the developers just did not care. (The mouths don't even move on the characters during cut scenes).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nfka8J8Y0

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Thompsons posted:

Mighty No. 2. Mega Man I Wish I Wasn't A Backer. Busted Canon. Keiji Inafoolme.

Those are all the bad jokes I have.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno why autists like anime and manga, but why do idiots watch the BBC when they have nothing decent to show on TV and I still have to pay for a goddamn TV License because of them?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

If I remove the authenticator from my account, do I still have to confirm all my marketplace listings? I'd rather not do them one by one on my phone for 200+ cards

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Demicol posted:

If I remove the authenticator from my account, do I still have to confirm all my marketplace listings? I'd rather not do them one by one on my phone for 200+ cards

If you remove the phone authenticator, you'll have to wait something like 2 weeks before your marketplace listings will go up. But if you still want to do it then it's as simple as opening the Steam app on your phone, going to Steam Authenticator on the left pane and then disabling it from there.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

drat I forgot about the marketplace ban. Guess I'll just spend an hour tapping at my phone.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Demicol posted:

drat I forgot about the marketplace ban. Guess I'll just spend an hour tapping at my phone.

20 minutes tops.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

20 minutes tops.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Demicol posted:

self owned

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

mike12345 posted:

What's the name of the curator that also posts in here about (retro) platformers? Psycho teddy bear guy?

Should I be offended? I think I'm offended.

Since we're on the eve of The Great Sale, I'll remind everyone that I have a curation page with over 120 recommendations to peruse. Because most of my reviews are parts of series like the ones below, they're mainly horror, roguelikes, platformers, and builders, though you will find the odd hidden object or ARPG crammed in there.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
21. Stronghold Crusader HD

22. Grand Ages: Rome

Grand Ages: Rome is very unique as far as sequels go. The follow-up to Imperium Romanum looks and sounds very similar, but features entirely different systems under the hood. It's a bit off-putting at first because they're not necessarily improvements, just very different. There's no clear superior between them, but a little time with this game will is bound to hook you for a good long while.

The meat of Grand Ages is its campaign, featuring a wealth of scenarios that challenge you to raise and manage a Roman colony somewhere in the empire. You generally start with a single outpost, and from that singular beginning expand with homes, farms, shops, arenas, theaters, and more. Every scenario has a very clear objective that you must accomplish, this time without the quirks and surprises of Imperium Romanum's tablet system. As you provide services to your plebeians you gain the resources needed to build more prosperous homes, which in turn can manage more complex services. It's a very simple hierarchy of structures to work through, so most of your concern will be on finding space for them all.

What won't be much of a concern is managing your resources, because they're on a much more streamlined system than in the previous game. Instead of producing and stockpiling goods, each resource building provides a permanent, static number of resources for your settlement. That means building a logging camp produces 10 logs, full stop. When you build a new building, however, it doesn't subtract from that number. If a house says it needs 4 logs and 4 bricks, you just need to have more than that threshold to build however many you want. What DOES subtract from your resource pools are upkeep costs, usually 1 or 2 units of a few resources per building.

Trading also reduces your thresholds in exchange for denarii, currency needed for construction and upkeep. Money works more traditionally, being earned over time and spent directly from your coffers. You'll need to pay a bit of attention to your economy so as to not go bankrupt, but even if you fall into the red you just enter a warning state where you have ten minutes to get back into the black. Your settlement can enter a lot of interesting states like this by building in certain ways, including building frenzies that speed up construction, divine blessings that improve services, and more. It's a nice touch that encourages you to find different ways to expand, and can really change up your strategies.

Combat plays a larger role in Grand Ages, but units are a little easier to build and command, and the combat is more interesting with additions like experience levels. You can access military and other improvements through the research system, which simply requires a school to start with. The campaign also has a really cool progression feature in your character, who can level up and earn family wealth between scenarios. These resources can be used to unlock skills that improve your buildings or military, or buy estates that provide you with additional starting resources. This system does a lot to expand your options, even allowing you to find shortcuts past particularly troublesome resources.

There's a lot of improvements to take in, but not without a few drawbacks. As streamlined as the new resource system is, it responds much worse to surprises than the old one. Should you lose buildings to fires or angry gods (yes that can happen, build lots of temples!) when you are low on a particular resource, you might not have a clear path to rebuilding them. Fires are also much more common because riots now guarantee that at least a handful of buildings will be destroyed, so keeping your people happy is crucial this time around. You may also find yourself bee-lining to certain buildings even if they're not optimal for your city because of scenario objectives and the hard caps your resource thresholds provide.

It's just as pretty a game as Imperium Romanum, and shares the same quality audio and soundtrack to enjoy. The camera is a little harder to get nice screencaps with, but they're worth doing with the more detailed buildings. In the end, I can't really say which is the better game. Imperium Romanum has a little more personality with its individual citizens, and a little more flexibility with its resource stockpiles. Grand Ages: Rome feels more streamlined and polished, and adds some really interesting progression systems. Fans of more abstracted builders like SimCity will probably enjoy this one more, but no matter which you pick I'm confident you'll find something to like.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BexGu posted:

What is VA-11 HALL-A game-play exactly? Is it basically a a novel broken up over multiple conversations with different characters where you clicks a couple of things to make them drinks? Like are there fail states?

It's basically that, yeah. Most of it's like the patron going "hey gimme a beer", so you look up the recipie and serve it. Their orders can be pretty drat vague or abstract sometimes, though, and how well you do determines how much money you make. If you don't have enough money saved up by certain dates, you get evicted from your apartment.

It's not too in-depth, basically "are you paying attention y/n" but it's enough to keep you engaged.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's also possible to change parts of the story by giving different drinks, but I suspect like 90% of the changes are based on "did you serve this person correct drinks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

ymgve posted:

It's also possible to change parts of the story by giving different drinks, but I suspect like 90% of the changes are based on "did you serve this person correct drinks"

Partly that but at least in the demo you could get different responses depending on how drunk they were at different points in the conversation. (ex some of the drinks have optional alcohol, some you can add whatever amount you like, sometimes there are drinks of varying content that meet their request). But yeah there should be a few places you can serve them something specific for different stuff. There's supposed to be a hint in ROM chapter 2 for something you can try (haven't played it though)

• Locked thread