Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

spacetoaster posted:

He's managed to squirm his way into being the face of CIG on all their videos and he's their community manager (who hates women and bans them if they complain of harassment like getting pm'd dick pics from high level backers).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13064-Meet-Ben-Lesnick
Given the demographics of the star citizenry and their generally not very good brains, it actually probably for real is in their best business interest to keep that impressively large man in their employ

I think the legions of disconcertingly human backers who have been gleefully content with being scammed thus far would go bananas if the star men turned on one of their own to appease the beguiling females

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've worked in various engineering firms and there was always a tension between the designers, who wanted to create the PERFECT product, no matter how much time and money it took and management, who just wanted to release the thing they'd originally agreed, on the date that they'd originally agreed it would be.

When the designers are also the managers, the result is Star Citizen: when they all sit round in some meeting saying: "Heyyyyy, why don't we expand the scope again!", there's nobody to rap them on the knuckles with a ruler and bark: "No! Stick to the loving plan!"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It looks like a clusterfuck, but it's not that far from the poo poo that regularly goes down in game dev. Except this time people pre-paid and the company decided it was a good idea to put cameras everywhere to show off the poo poo show.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPpnnSOiwk

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I forgot the fat guy wears a prop from the Wing Commander movie at all times

Like a nevernude trex with a disturbing fetish for Muppet men

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Chris Roberts decided 5 years ago that he was going to dress up like a superhero, and fly through the sky like Superman, under his own power and otherwise unassisted by un-fidelitious technology like airplanes or jetpacks. This was going to be the real deal.

In 2012 the Kickstarter began. A few hundred thousand dollars turned into over 100 million over the next several years. People who believed in the vision of Chris Roberts flying around downtown were rewarded with absolute, irrefutable proof that this was going to happen in the form of:

- Multiple weekly videos about how Chris was going to fly around
- The ability to donate money to design and build all the different suits Chris can wear while flying
- CGI videos showing what it will look like when Chris will fly
- Hundreds of people across several countries dedicated to making Chris's flight dreams a reality
- The actual creation of the superhero costumes Chris will wear while flying
- Videos with Chris himself answering questions about how cool it will be to fly
- Funded events where people who believe Chris will fly all gather together to talk about how cool it will be

Stories about how Chris tried to fly in the past, and failed, were downplayed by his supporters. They kept referencing the aforementioned items as proof that the inherent problems in the plan were well in hand. They did, after all, hire the world's foremost experts on flight. They talked about flying in videos. They designed the costumes. With successful efforts like that, clearly this project was nearing completion. Surely they wouldn't go through all that effort if the core goal - the foundation of his vision - was unattainable.

As Chris leaped from the tallest building, and began to plummet to the ground, the backers looked up with smiles on their faces. He'd pull up any moment now in a triumphant arc, and his, and everyone else's, dreams would come true.

A very few people looked away. Those people remained silent, for they had been attacked, browbeaten, threatened, and harrassed by the believers when they had made a simple, factual statement when this whole thing began: Chris Roberts can't fly.

(credit - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=461141326#post461141326)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
And star citizens will gather and say "its a good thing he splattered all over the concrete, shows hes just one of us, a gamer, who wants to make a dream happen. Lets throw money at this corpse, this will finish the game somehow."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, on his "website of jokes" we found a little section on a local news reporter he was/is stalking.

Here's a photo of his bedroom he uploaded. We did a nerd scavenger hunt with the image. Take a look at the picture frame in the middle left.

Taxi Driver poo poo aside, how is that a grown man's room?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Taxi Driver poo poo aside, how is that a grown man's room?

Stop being mean.

This is said grown man after getting a tattoo. A tattoo a character had in a horrible, failed movie. (wing commander)

He even wears a prop religious symbol from the movie all the time.

It's so dumb and retarded you have no idea.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Stop being mean.

This is said grown man after getting a tattoo. A tattoo a character had in a horrible, failed movie. (wing commander)

He even wears a prop religious symbol from the movie all the time.

It's so dumb and retarded you have no idea.

i wonder how his gf feels about his fancying a local newslady

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i think that maybe this game isn't coming out

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Wanna see something funny, have a look at this fifty page dossier weve spent months developing about why this 500 lb man is an immature creepy stalker.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Star Citizen no. 9

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

eric posted:

There will literally be nerd suicides when Roberts shits out a bad single player game in 2018 and calls it a day.

At least something good will come out of all this.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Wanna see something funny, have a look at this fifty page dossier weve spent months developing about why this 500 lb man is an immature creepy stalker.

Oh, word?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

The lady in question is a goonette. She showed us the messages. Here's the pic she got sent (edited for your delicate sensabilities).

The wulge

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Machai posted:

To be fair, with a wife like that I bet Chris Roberts knows a lot about damage models

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There are a few scenarios in which boarding may occur, and it is likely to be a pretty rare occurrence. And situations where you can go full castle-plan as defenders will be even more rare.

In order for a castle-defense strategy to work aboard a ship that is being boarded, you have to know where the enemy is likely to enter from, you have to have advance notice that they are coming during which you can dig in, and it has to be big enough for your strategy to actually matter.

The first problem arises that the enemy can cut their way into the hull anywhere they want...or can hop in through a hole their guns already blew in your ship. The only way to figure out where the enemy is coming from is for you to be aware of where they are breaching from. Airlocks will probably be common entry points as those are designed to open, and would thus be easier to force open than cutting a hole in the hull; the cargo doors will be another possibility, as will the hangar bay of larger ships. But...the enemy could always waltz up to your ship's bridge and start carving a hole directly in the ceiling, dropping themselves directly into the point on the ship you are most interested in keeping them out of.

The second problem arises in that you may not have time to prepare. If your ship took a missile and is missing a chunk of its hull...guess where the boarders are coming in through. They don't need to cut through the hull, they can just EVA through the hole that's already there. So while you are running around trying to prep, they are already attacking. Additionally, stealth boarding operations are also a confirmed option...if a boarding team is really, really good...you might not know you are under attack until someone puts a rifle to your head and tells you to get up and get in an escape pod.

The third problem is that any ship that is Connie-sized or smaller (i.e. the more common ship sizes) are simply too small for castle tactics to work. Castle tactics (as in R6) rely on a multi-layered defense to chew apart the enemy as they advance. If you are defending a Connie...you drop a mine or two in front of where they are cutting their way in, then take cover and get ready for a gunfight.

There is also this to consider...in many cases, the person attacking you doesn't actually want to board you. Particularly in the case of a pirate. See, if a pirate boards your ship, he's risking his life in order to gain control of a busted ship. Unlike in nautical combat, the vast majority of ship boarding in SC only happens if a ship has been damaged to the point it can no longer move or defend itself. So if you board a ship and take it...now you have to try to fix the ship you just nearly blew up before help arrives for the person you just attacked, so you can then go pay a pile of cash to finish fixing the busted ship. Occasionally, you may wish to do this...but wouldn't it be a lot more efficient and a heck of a lot less risky to just blow the cargo door off and start tractoring their goods out? Or, heck...hit a Hull-class, they carry all their cargo externally anyway. If anyone wants to stop you from stealing the goods off a disabled Hull, they are going to have to come out of their ship to do it.

The combat is still asymmetrical, but the sort of fortification/breaching tactics aren't as suitable for the vast majority of ship boarding cases as they would be for defending a ground objective. It would be like playing Rainbow 6: Siege if the enemy could skip your set-up time and choose to spawn anywhere in your base that they wanted.

In all honesty, I would instead look at modern naval boarding tactics for inspiration, as opposed to looking at a game like R6:S.

Really, the primary place where boarding is going to be a big thing is with Persistent ships or Gold Horizon Stations. And, again...I would still recommend looking at modern naval boarding and defense tactics as opposed to static structure defense like in R6:S.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What the hell is going on with this company and people that have their erogenous zones off from where you would normally expect them to be?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Locator posted:

What is that he's holding in his hand like a microphone pointed at her?

That is a replica Pilgrim's Cross, a thing Ben owns that's from a dumb made up culture/religion in Chris Roberts incredibly terrible Wing Commander movie.

The hand it's photoshopped into is not Ben's, it's the hand of Bryce Williams, a murderer notable for recording a POV video of himself shooting the news reporter and camera man seen in the photo- in the original photo the hand was holding a gun.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LGD posted:

That is a replica Pilgrim's Cross, a thing Ben owns that's from a dumb made up culture/religion in Chris Roberts incredibly terrible Wing Commander movie.

The hand it's photoshopped into is not Ben's, it's the hand of Bryce Williams, a murderer notable for recording a POV video of himself shooting the news reporter and camera man seen in the photo- in the original photo the hand was holding a gun.

Thank you. I thought that photo looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place it in the context of this thread and the weird stalker dude.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

John Denver Hoxha posted:

It's truly amazing.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You guys it's out!!! I just got it today, man I can't believe I doubted...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Proof time travel exists in 2028

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dude has a ferocious case of T-Rex arms.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wafflz posted:

Dude has a ferocious case of T-Rex arms.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

spacetoaster posted:

It's truly amazing.

:ohdear: please don't let the fatbeast eat Summer Glau

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Flesh Forge posted:

:ohdear: please don't let the fatbeast eat Summer Glau

yes won't someone please think of the scrub tier terrible scifi show actresses?!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't decide if the bunch waiting on this game are safer than the ones than think Bitcoin is going to take off tomorrow.

Who am I kidding it's the same bunch of overpaid sperges

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LethalGeek posted:

I can't decide if the bunch waiting on this game are safer than the ones than think Bitcoin is going to take off tomorrow.

They are. Remember Seraph84? Dude got permabanned and reregged about 15 times.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LethalGeek posted:

i think the bitcoin people are even more brain damaged, the most a star citizen has parted with is like 30 grand

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yes won't someone please think of the scrub tier terrible scifi show actresses?!

dude i don't like firefly either but no one should ever have to press themselves up against those steaming flabby folds

i bet his pits were all sodden and swampy too

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i think the bitcoin people are even more brain damaged, the most a star citizen has parted with is like 30 grand

I've blown some cash on early access titles that didn't quite pan out, so that makes me feel a lot better.

You thought that Chris Robers was cringey? This is pretty much peak Star Citizen cringe: :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlWQ3s5Xc8

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
infinite cod looks like it'll shape up better than this

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Wafflz posted:

There are a few scenarios in which boarding may occur, and it is likely to be a pretty rare occurrence. And situations where you can go full castle-plan as defenders will be even more rare.

In order for a castle-defense strategy to work aboard a ship that is being boarded, you have to know where the enemy is likely to enter from, you have to have advance notice that they are coming during which you can dig in, and it has to be big enough for your strategy to actually matter.

The first problem arises that the enemy can cut their way into the hull anywhere they want...or can hop in through a hole their guns already blew in your ship. The only way to figure out where the enemy is coming from is for you to be aware of where they are breaching from. Airlocks will probably be common entry points as those are designed to open, and would thus be easier to force open than cutting a hole in the hull; the cargo doors will be another possibility, as will the hangar bay of larger ships. But...the enemy could always waltz up to your ship's bridge and start carving a hole directly in the ceiling, dropping themselves directly into the point on the ship you are most interested in keeping them out of.

The second problem arises in that you may not have time to prepare. If your ship took a missile and is missing a chunk of its hull...guess where the boarders are coming in through. They don't need to cut through the hull, they can just EVA through the hole that's already there. So while you are running around trying to prep, they are already attacking. Additionally, stealth boarding operations are also a confirmed option...if a boarding team is really, really good...you might not know you are under attack until someone puts a rifle to your head and tells you to get up and get in an escape pod.

The third problem is that any ship that is Connie-sized or smaller (i.e. the more common ship sizes) are simply too small for castle tactics to work. Castle tactics (as in R6) rely on a multi-layered defense to chew apart the enemy as they advance. If you are defending a Connie...you drop a mine or two in front of where they are cutting their way in, then take cover and get ready for a gunfight.

There is also this to consider...in many cases, the person attacking you doesn't actually want to board you. Particularly in the case of a pirate. See, if a pirate boards your ship, he's risking his life in order to gain control of a busted ship. Unlike in nautical combat, the vast majority of ship boarding in SC only happens if a ship has been damaged to the point it can no longer move or defend itself. So if you board a ship and take it...now you have to try to fix the ship you just nearly blew up before help arrives for the person you just attacked, so you can then go pay a pile of cash to finish fixing the busted ship. Occasionally, you may wish to do this...but wouldn't it be a lot more efficient and a heck of a lot less risky to just blow the cargo door off and start tractoring their goods out? Or, heck...hit a Hull-class, they carry all their cargo externally anyway. If anyone wants to stop you from stealing the goods off a disabled Hull, they are going to have to come out of their ship to do it.

The combat is still asymmetrical, but the sort of fortification/breaching tactics aren't as suitable for the vast majority of ship boarding cases as they would be for defending a ground objective. It would be like playing Rainbow 6: Siege if the enemy could skip your set-up time and choose to spawn anywhere in your base that they wanted.

In all honesty, I would instead look at modern naval boarding tactics for inspiration, as opposed to looking at a game like R6:S.

Really, the primary place where boarding is going to be a big thing is with Persistent ships or Gold Horizon Stations. And, again...I would still recommend looking at modern naval boarding and defense tactics as opposed to static structure defense like in R6:S.

yeah it didnt do much when I copy pasted it either, but the amount just completely made up poo poo in that post is phenomenal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

infinite cod looks like it'll shape up better than this

You can get Infinite Cod on Fridays at Chief O'Neils in Chicago. Best drat fish and chips in the city.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Gin posted:

:eyepop:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah it didnt do much when I copy pasted it either, but the amount just completely made up poo poo in that post is phenomenal

It's not as good as space noodles man that takes minutes to waddle 70 meters but it's pretty good.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You can get Infinite Cod on Fridays at Chief O'Neils in Chicago. Best drat fish and chips in the city.

this is the solid softball hit i was hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I think the furry that had his name legally changed to "Wulf Knight" is in for $40,000+ maybe, that or another sadbrain.

Bitcoiners are stupid but that will drag on forever, Star Citizen will eventually just go bankrupt or something overnight so you can expect the true believer mass meltdown that bitcoin has so far denied us.

• Locked thread